Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    clive said:

Easy PR for doing absolutely fuck all
    So what should he do then......just say nothing?
    He loves his football and I’d like to think that was a heart felt statement.
    Just can’t win with some people, always looking to have a dig.🤨
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:o
    I've heard from a friend that Thomas Sandgaard is in talks with Rangers about a possible merger between our two clubs... Negotiations actually started much earlier this month, around 21 days ago. We would be renamed Charlton Rangers.
    Was proposed back in 2007 or 2008.

There's a thread on here somewhere
    That's the joke! It was an old CL April Fools. Thread.
    Whoosh

Note who was quoted in the article
  • Options
    Merge all the English and Scottish leagues, yes, cherry pick two clubs, no.
  • Options
    Only real Charlton fans will travel to Aberdeen for next Tuesdays crunch game!! 
  • Options
    Real Madrid president Florentino Perez says clubs will not be able to sign Paris St-Germain and France striker Kylian Mbappe, 22, or Borussia Dortmund and Norway forward Erling Braut Haaland, 20, without the European Super League. (El Larguero, via Goal)

Extraordinary mental logic really, as if football should be completely restructured to enable the big clubs with massive debts like Madrid to spend more money!

Indeed, if as a result of this Haaland will be stuck at Dortmund, is that such a bad thing anyway? If he really wants to move, he and his greedy agent will have to reduce their terms
    I honestly think Perez might have lost the plot. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Real Madrid president Florentino Perez says clubs will not be able to sign Paris St-Germain and France striker Kylian Mbappe, 22, or Borussia Dortmund and Norway forward Erling Braut Haaland, 20, without the European Super League. (El Larguero, via Goal)

Extraordinary mental logic really, as if football should be completely restructured to enable the big clubs with massive debts like Madrid to spend more money!

Indeed, if as a result of this Haaland will be stuck at Dortmund, is that such a bad thing anyway? If he really wants to move, he and his greedy agent will have to reduce their terms
    I honestly think Perez might have lost the plot. 
    There's being some telling quotes in the past from Perez and Agnelli about how they don't like the winner of the Championship play offs earning more then the Champions League winner, there is a lot of envy still of the Financial power of the Premier League, and want that balanced. I'm still surprised that Premier League clubs wanted to be part of that kind of levelling up
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Listening to Talksport for a bit this morning it's like nothings happened.
    Talking about Levy's plans to land a big name as Tottenham manager.
    How the f**k can someone like Levy survive at any club after what he did?
  • Options
    They will try again in 1-2 years. All this will do is make them hire a PR firm to roll it out next time and they will pay off FIFA to get their approval. They have not learned a lesson. It’s all crocodile tears. 
    Sadly I'm sure you're right. The "big" clubs quickly realised they had lost this battle but from their perspective, they will still see that the war is there to be won. As you say, they will simply spend the next couple of years refining their plans so next time they are not immediately shot down.

The PL should spend the next few monrhs coming up with plans that will clip the wings of the English clubs and tie them into the PL with huge consequences should they try and leave again. But that I suspect is much easier said than done. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I suspect most of Scottish football we be happy to see them go if

1) They keep their current European places
    2) They get a compensation payment to cover the lost revenue.  Their current TV deal is much more favorable to the old firm.

Not that I think it's a good idea either way BTW 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

2) They get a compensation payment to cover the lost revenue.  Their current TV deal is much more favorable to the old firm.

It's a crap idea not least because it will mean London being "invaded" 10 times a year by drunken Rangers and Celtic fans. 

As someone who can remember the old firm games that used to be played in the home international tournament at Wembley it was not a pleasant experience. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Why would either of those two things happen? If the Old Firm leave, and I don’t really see it happening to be honest, Scottish football will need to cut its cloth accordingly. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Rothko said:
    the idea of a UK League is the same thinking as the ESL, and basically only helps two clubs at the expense of the rest. The idea that introducing clubs who are no bigger then Newcastle, Leeds and Villa into the league is suddenly going to make it more attractive is for the birds, and if you believe it I've got this bridge to sell you
    The idea, in its self, isn't the same at all. If Cove Rangers could, in theory, win it.  The motivation (ie money) is exactly the same.

They might not be bigger than Newcastle, Leeds or Villa.  But they are certainly bigger than Palace, Burnley and Fulham.

Can't you see why it wouldn't be financially attractive to both broadcasters and the money men while also adding an attraction to the "consumer"?   The "league" would suddenly get 2 derbies plus 24 games between them and the big 6 to broadcast in the place of Burnley v Palace.

I don't think it's a good idea at all but to claim it wouldn't be attractive is for the birds. 
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Rangers and Celtic join the PL and FIFA who already think us having separate international sides is weird, will push even harder for a unified UK side. 
    So, the England team then?
  • Options
    Listening to Talksport for a bit this morning it's like nothings happened.
    Talking about Levy's plans to land a big name as Tottenham manager.
    How the f**k can someone like Levy survive at any club after what he did?
    This is why the clubs need to be punished. 
  • Options
    As Henry said earlier, it's a tenable idea as long as there is promotion and relegation on merit and it's not just about paracheuting two big clubs in for revenue purposes. I'm not sure how the Scottish leagues could fit within the pyramid structure though. 
  • Options
    I don't buy the attractive to broadcasters stuff, 2 mediocre teams joining a league where they will probably be in a relegation fight from day 1, they might be useful for the EFLs TV deal and those two clubs pockets, but they won't see European football for a while for example.

A UK league does nothing for the majority of the SPL, the other 10 end in that league would be in the Championship or League 1, and as for Cove Rangers, they'll be slumming in part time Scottish football. It'll be English league with a few Scottish teams in it.  

• Options
    What should be our main concern is them trying to do it again, but with more competence. It does make you wonder when you see how stupid billionaires can be. They really need to get FIFA on board, which seeing as it is a corrupt organisation, shouldn't be impossible. 

When you look at Spurs, Arsenal and Manchester United. Spurs have the League Cup and the other two the Europa League to give their fans something to cheer about this season. When you are not the best, you need these smaller competitions. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bit of a branding conflict for Celtic in joining a British League!
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I don't buy the attractive to broadcasters stuff, 2 mediocre teams joining a league where they will probably be in a relegation fight from day 1, they might be useful for the EFLs TV deal and those two clubs pockets, but they won't see European football for a while for example.

A UK league does nothing for the majority of the SPL, the other 10 end in that league would be in the Championship or League 1, and as for Cove Rangers, they'll be slumming in part time Scottish football. It'll be English league with a few Scottish teams in it.  

If its not attractive to sky why did the 2012 TV deal explicitly include the rights for 5 Rangers third divison games? 

I don't remember any TV deal specifying Dumbarton or Clyde games.

It's a silly idea but to suggest it wouldn't be potentially successful (in the sense it made loads of money) for those involved is wrong. 
  • Options
    I think people are underestimating how big Celtic and Rangers are. No way would they be relegation candidates, would be challenging for Europe after a couple of seasons with more Sky money
  • Options
    I think people are underestimating how big Celtic and Rangers are. No way would they be relegation candidates, would be challenging for Europe after a couple of seasons with more Sky money
    Newcastle have had the Sky money over and over again. They aren't challenging for Europe.
  • Options
    Depends on the calibre of the player they'd be able to attract

If they're in the Premier League for a few seasons they wont be in the Champions League straight away which would be a big turn off for players - Newcastle already struggle like StackitSteve says as players seem more eager to live around Manchester or London, would Glasgow have the same issue?

Not to mention that they cant go signing League One players and expect to be challenging for the league either
  • Options
    Why are people comparing Rangers and Celtic to Newcastle? 
  • Options

Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer spoke to fans who entered the club's training ground at Carrington on Thursday to protest against the Glazer family's ownership.

Over a dozen fans entered the complex but have now left.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56843743

• Options
    clive said:

Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer spoke to fans who entered the club's training ground at Carrington on Thursday to protest against the Glazer family's ownership.

Bet security are getting replaced...
  • Options
    clive said:

Going to bed without dinner at least! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    clive said:

Going to bed without dinner at least! 
    Be great if one of them turned out to be a Leeds mole