Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    johnny73 said:
    Man u fans seemed to be quite content with the previous (and still current) set up where their club manipulated football finances to squeeze the life out of efl clubs for their own benefit. 
    The only reason they are a 'big' club is that they happened to be doing well when TV cameras started showing games on a regular basis in the sixties.
    Think that is way off 

Man Utd have been a big club since WW2 and even before.
  • Options
    Not sure if I'm the only one but I for one wouldn't of minded those 6 teams to fuck off. Most of their fans only care about themselves and the other 5. 
    Only problem is hearing the bants at a pub when those fans meet up is excruciating as it is, no doubt it will get even worse with them in the sub super league. 
  • Options
    With all the clubs involved there has been an element of musical chairs to varying extents and then stopping the music. The two clubs that feel big are Man Utd and Liverpool, but then it depends how far you go back. 
  • Options
    http://keirradnedge.com/2021/05/07/super-league-nine-must-pay-up/

Not sure if that is €15m fine each or between the nine clubs to go to grass roots football

€50m and €100m possible future fines

Barca, Real and Juve still holding out so may get bigger fines.
  • Options
    An aggregate of E15M sounds like the total between them.
  • Options
    That's what I wasn't sure about.

15m each wouldn't have been much but a 9th of that is nothing
  • Options
    That's what I wasn't sure about.

15m each wouldn't have been much but a 9th of that is nothing
    Have the 9 turned "Queen's evidence"?   I suspect that UEFA would totally let them off it meant hammering Juve. 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57036397

surely the deadline of the threat from UEFA on sanctions on these three teams has been and gone. 

they are standing by their Super League. their 3 team super league as it is at the moment. 
  • Options
    If UEFA stand by their threats then shouldn't think many orther clubs would want to be invited to join.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That Perez needs shutting up. UEFA should punish the three clubs remaining very harshly.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The clubs made.the current model unsustainable though by lashing out big transfer fees and wages. If they were more sensible then it would be ok. Common sense....it will never catch on 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Agreed,The Real Madrid and Barcelona model is a terrible model for the future of football. It would be great for football if they lived within their means rather than loading incredible levels of debt. They were doing that before Covid.
  • Options
    Love it.

Atletico in pole position to win La Liga which will mean just 3 titles in 13 years for Real Madrid.
    Juventus smashed by AC Milan last night and currently in 5th in Serie A and might miss out on the champions league completely!
    Meanwhile in the premier league, Liverpool have a battle to qualify for the CL and Spurs and Arsenal might not even make the Europa.
    Alexa, how do you like a post more than once?
  • Options
    Will be funny if one of the 'big' clubs end up in the new Europa conference league playing teams from Belarus and Kazakhstan every week.
  • Options
    Said it at the time, and haven't changed - it's a shame they didn't push ahead with this and all twelve got intstntly expelled from all UEFA/FIFA competitions. This hasn't gone away. Perez is still trying to put a smiley face on a plan to get even more cream off the top of the footballing milk, but I imagine the directors of the clubs who becked down are simply witing for the fotball climate to change to try again.
    It's been said over and over again, the footballing debts of these clubs is entirely down to their own fiscal mismanagement - they all have more money than they need, but their desperate battle to stay ahead of the footballing Joneses keeps them splashing more and more on wages, Give them extra money and the cycle will continue. I hope that UEFA come down exceptionally hard on Barça, Juve and Madrid. A four year ban on European competitions and a salary cap! So they threaten to walz off and start their own super league - that's already in progress. It isn't a threat when you say you are doing it anyway. Fuck 'em.
  • Options
    Would anyone go for a 20 team "Elite League" if there were four relegated teams every year?

It would make national leagues more competitive while offering the "ultimate" prize of at least a season with the Elite.

I think a relegation battle in an Elite league would be more interesting than who wins it! Something to watch on Saturday or Sunday evenings while normal football continues in the traditional way?

This seems a much better outcome than the inevitable civil war leading to a complete split.
  • Options
    Reports from @UEAAddick that Italian FA have threatened Juventus with relegation if they don't pull out of the super league.

Let's hope the "hunchbacks" as they are called in Italy do go down.

• Options
    I have an idea which will benefit all humankind. Send me all of your money. When I say humankind, I mean me. I promise to buy a tramp a McDonalds coffee so the money will trickle down. Perez isn't the only one that can pull that one!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Everyone seems to have forgotten about this and any plans for football ownership reformation in this country - bit sad really. Doubt any of the big 6 are going to be punished either
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Are UEFA still talking tough on these 3 clubs? They seem to have gone very quiet since the other clubs bailed. If Perez and his cronies are still trying to pursue this then UEFA need to grow a pair and actually do something meaningful about it. 
  • Options
    Everyone seems to have forgotten about this and any plans for football ownership reformation in this country - bit sad really. Doubt any of the big 6 are going to be punished either
    Probably get told that we’re lucky to still have them in the premier league.
  • Options
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-thought-european-super-24184609

Boris Johnson did give the controversial European Super League plans the nod, sources told the Mirror.

They claimed the Prime Minister’s chief of staff Dan Rosenfield told him about the proposal after a No 10 meeting with Manchester United ’s Ed Woodward.

The Government insider said: “Boris doesn’t know much about football so he said it was a great idea.

"So Dan told the clubs No 10 wouldn’t stand in their way.

"Then it all kicked off...”

Downing Street has repeatedly denied that the plan was discussed at the high-level meeting just days before the ESL move was announced.

They have insisted that the PM, who briefly met Woodward after the meeting, first learned of the plan when it was confirmed by the clubs.

But a second source, close to the football clubs, also claimed the PM appeared to have given Mr Rosenfield the impression he was happy for the scheme to go ahead.

They said: “Ed came back to the clubs to say they had got the green light from No 10. Dan would not have [gone] all the way without checking Boris’s view.”

The plan for the so-called ‘big six’ English clubs to join a Super League with clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus dramatically unravelled just 48 hours after it was confirmed.

As the scale of football fans’ fury became clear, Government ministers – including Mr Johnson – roundly condemned the move.

• Options
    Found it strange that a tory was against capitalism.
  • Options
    Seems that the six teams from the Premier League have been fined £20m each for their involvement in the competition
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/six-english-clubs-fined-millions-24280552 from this article it seems its £20m between them, so 3.33m each. It does say if they try  again they'll be fined 20m each and a 30 point deduction but who knows if that would ever happen
  • Options
    £3m+ each.

That’ll learn them.