Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Omar Bogle

Comments

• Options
    Thought last night was his best game for us from what I've watched (4 games). He's been really unlucky not to score, he seems to be getting frustrated that it hasn't happened yet but it feels like a matter of time, he was hacked down in the box with 4 players around him yesterday which could have been a penalty in my eyes, was brought down by a defender as he was pulling away (again)

Some comparisons to Josh Parker on here which I can understand but Bogle seems much more effective and dangerous
  • Options
    I really am just imagining that this is what Leaburn was. Am I close?
  • Options
    Does the hard yards to clear the way for the Aneke cameos 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    shine166 said:
    Modern Leaburn and nothing wrong with that 
    Except Leaburn was an exquisite passer of the ball.
    Behave!

He could hold it up well and would bring others into the game with a simple pass, but "an exquisite passer of the ball"? He was no Colin Walsh.
    Disagree. I’m remembering some great defence-splitting passes. A matter of opinion but, in any case, I’m sure most of us remember him with pride and affection.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Why are people so desperate to see Aneke and Bogle up top together? That would likely only work if we were to sacrifice our top scorer! I don't think they'd work in a three.
  • Options
    Leaburn had a weaker shot than Simon church but his hold up play was very good. The flick for pardew to run through and score against Southend (possible east stand opening) was class.

leaburn could never beat a defender the way bogle and aneke can. 
  • Options
    If Bogle learns to pass using his chest the way Leaburn used to then I will be impressed!
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Modern Leaburn and nothing wrong with that 
    Exactly what I came on here to say, well, early Leaburn anyway. Woeful in front of goal, but puts in a full shift every time. 
  • Options
    Seeing as  his not played for a couple of months and no pre season his looking better every game.his getting chances to score in every game his played in so far I’m sure once he gets one he’ll get more. Another bargain signing form fallen and bowyer. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    If Bogle learns to pass using his chest the way Leaburn used to then I will be impressed!
    Leaburn could chest the ball further than he could kick it. 

I’m still surprised he didn’t try and cheat his penalty when he scored the hatrick 

as this is now the leaburn thread, how is his son doing? What position is he and is he highly rated?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leaburn Jr is a forward. Presuming he has a bit more skill to his game
  • Options
    Skill is the wrong word. Incision, maybe
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I really am just imagining that this is what Leaburn was. Am I close?
    Yes, the closest we've had.
    A vital part of the team with his hold up play, but I don't really expect him to score.
    The ball seems to get stuck under his feet. 
  • Options
    See more a Deon Burton plus than the names mentioned so far, and I liked Deon. At times he should be a bit more greedy though as in theory he is our main goal threat when he's on, he seems to be wanting to lay it onto someone else
    Yes, because he's not confident in his goal scoring ability (I assume). 
  • Options
    Leaburn had a weaker shot than Simon church but his hold up play was very good. The flick for pardew to run through and score against Southend (possible east stand opening) was class.

leaburn could never beat a defender the way bogle and aneke can. 
    I remember a goal in front of the Covered End, possibly against reading, where he just bulldozered his way through and smashed it in.  Leaburn was/is unfairly remembered because he was thrown in when he was nowhere near ready, then left as he was peaking.  If he had stayed another 2 and a half years he would be a legend, rather than a cult hero. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Why are people so desperate to see Aneke and Bogle up top together? That would likely only work if we were to sacrifice our top scorer! I don't think they'd work in a three.
    I agree it wouldn't be the best pairing, I honestly just want to see what two centre-backs look like after 75-80 minutes of having to battle Aneke & Bogle both

I predict they'll look a bit ill

Oh, it'd be Chuks behind Bogle and Washington
  • Options
    I am firmly of the belief, and have been for quite a while, that Aneke is a) Better than Taylor and b) the best forward in League One. I think he will top 20 goals this season.
  • Options
    Omar is not in the same breath as Carlo, getting all a bit Greta, but how dare you, how dare you.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I am firmly of the belief, and have been for quite a while, that Aneke is a) Better than Taylor and b) the best forward in League One. I think he will top 20 goals this season.

On a pro rata basis maybe but it will be very tough for him to top that only playing 30 minutes every match, and that's not allowing for some inevitable injuries. Ten is a more realistic target for him given he just won't play enough minutes. If he gets 10 and Washington and Bogle both get close to 15 each that'll be equivalent to having a couple of 20 goal a season strikers, as we did last time in the division until Grant was sold. Should be doable as one of them is a third of the way there already and the other I am confident will get a few once he gets his first. If the midfield average about 3 to 5 each and the defence 1 or 2 each, that should be plenty to see us up.

Some wild over rating of some of our players going on right now though. Enjoy the six straight wins by all means, but I'd save most of the direct comparisons with previously successful players for towards the end of the season. Lots and lots of time for form and favour to change.

• Options
    edited November 2020

On a pro rata basis maybe but it will be very tough for him to top that only playing 30 minutes every match, and that's not allowing for some inevitable injuries. Ten is a more realistic target for him given he just won't play enough minutes. If he gets 10 and Washington and Bogle both get close to 15 each that'll be equivalent to having a couple of 20 goal a season strikers, as we did last time in the division until Grant was sold. Should be doable as one of them is a third of the way there already and the other I am confident will get a few once he gets his first. If the midfield average about 3 to 5 each and the defence 1 or 2 each, that should be plenty to see us up.

Some wild over rating of some of our players going on right now though. Enjoy the six straight wins by all means, but I'd save most of the direct comparisons with previously successful players for towards the end of the season. Lots and lots of time for form and favour to change.

None more so than you by suggesting/hoping that there's any possibility that Bogle could get close to 15 goals. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020

None more so than you by suggesting/hoping that there's any possibility that Bogle could get close to 15 goals. 
    Well, firstly I said close to 15. However, 4 goals in 12 for Pompey last season. Extrapolate that over a season and it’s 15 goals, give or take.

Plenty of signs that a goal is coming for him and he’s been taking up good positions but denied shooting opportunities by external factors like being brought down when clean through vs Blackpool or the ref blowing for an earlier foul instead of playing advantage just as Bogle was being released one on one with their keeper vs Pompey.  I’m positive once he gets one, and as I say the signs are clearly there that it’s coming soon, that he’ll grow in confidence and get more and more frequently. Increased fitness will play a part and he’s looking sharper and sharper with each passing game. He’ll enjoy the kind of service Maddison can provide too. 

I don’t think suggesting he’ll get comfortably into double figures in league one if he plays most games and in front of what is starting to look like one if the better midfields in the division is outlandish. 

I do, however, find rating players who have played well in the last half dozen games in league one as better than players that did well for us over a whole (or in Taylor’s case not quite a whole) season at Championship level is a bit premature. 
  • Options

Well, firstly I said close to 15. However, 4 goals in 12 for Pompey last season. Extrapolate that over a season and it’s 15 goals, give or take.

Plenty of signs that a goal is coming for him and he’s been taking up good positions but denied shooting opportunities by external factors like being brought down when clean through vs Blackpool or the ref blowing for an earlier foul instead of playing advantage just as Bogle was being released one on one with their keeper vs Pompey.  I’m positive once he gets one, and as I say the signs are clearly there that it’s coming soon, that he’ll grow in confidence and get more and more frequently. Increased fitness will play a part and he’s looking sharper and sharper with each passing game. He’ll enjoy the kind of service Maddison can provide too. 

I don’t think suggesting he’ll get comfortably into double figures in league one if he plays most games and in front of what is starting to look like one if the better midfields in the division is outlandish. 

I do, however, find rating players who have played well in the last half dozen games in league one as better than players that did well for us over a whole (or in Taylor’s case not quite a whole) season at Championship level is a bit premature. 
    Very well put & I'm hope that I'm proved wrong but to me he's not a goal scorer & doubt he'll even get in double figures (& that's being generous  :D )
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    He's the Boogie Woogie Bogle Boy from Company B

https://youtu.be/RfZqyzI8pW0