Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Omar Bogle

13»

Comments

• Options
    I don't think we are over rating Aneke. He has ability, strength, pace and has shown he knows where the goal is. 
    .. and starts 5 games a season 
  • Options
    He's the Boogie Woogie Bogle Boy from Company B

He's the Boogie Woogie Bogle Boy of CAFC would scan, but I can't see it catching on as a chant.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    wmcf123 said:
    I don't think we are over rating Aneke. He has ability, strength, pace and has shown he knows where the goal is. 
    Ah but those 5 games are mustard!
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    It was actually two in the League last season. And one so far this.

Something clearly happened to him shortly before he joined us because it was only at the end of his MK Dons career that he became a constant on their bench. He'd started 26 games, scoring 17 goals, in 2018-19 but made 7 sub appearances in his last 9 games during which time he scored 3 goals (all from the bench).

That suggests that whatever has hindered his Charlton career was prevalent prior to him joining us. And presumably we knew about it too.
  • Options
    I seem to remember, at that time QPR were wanting Aneke also.

I wonder how far their interest got - did they drop it for fitness record reasons or did he even fail a medical there?

Just speculating. But it was reported there was definite QPR interest at that time.

• Options
    wmcf123 said:

Something clearly happened to him shortly before he joined us because it was only at the end of his MK Dons career that he became a constant on their bench. He'd started 26 games, scoring 17 goals, in 2018-19 but made 7 sub appearances in his last 9 games during which time he scored 3 goals (all from the bench).

That suggests that whatever has hindered his Charlton career was prevalent prior to him joining us. And presumably we knew about it too.
    Milton Keynes could have benched him as he was out of contract and wouldn’t sign a new one
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Milton Keynes could have benched him as he was out of contract and wouldn’t sign a new one

I find it unlikely that they would have benched someone that they were so reliant on given that they were in the promotion shake up - they eventually scraped through in the final game of the season by beating Mansfield in the final game of the season and gaining promotion by swapping places with them in the process. Aneke played all bar the final few minutes of that game.

In fact, Paul Tisdale, their Manager said this in June and after the season had ended:

Tisdale, when asked about Aneke, explained: "We made him a really good offer, he’s looking at his options, he’s a very talented player so I don’t blame him."

"If he wants to stay there is a contract for him, he’s out there looking for an alternative and he’s entitled to do that. Never say never."

He added: "I’m very fond of him, he’s a very good footballer, he can score goals, why would I close the door?"

"I think the longer times go on, the less likely it is that he stays. I just hope it’s a palatable solution where everyone says it works for all of us."

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

I wonder how far their interest got - did they drop it for fitness record reasons or did he even fail a medical there?

Just speculating. But it was reported there was definite QPR interest at that time.

I thought I read that Aneke failed a medical @ QPR before joining us
  • Options
    Sounds as if Chuks might have had a similar history to Solly. This is the injury update following his cruciate ligament operation back in 2016 and when with MK Dons:

Chuks has also had a very positive couple of weeks. When we last spoke, I mentioned that he had started to build through his running progressions, which he has now completed. He has recently undergone a football-specific rehabilitation programme and we are currently in the early stages of the next step, which is integrating him into training. We will closely monitor him during this stage and will aim to build him up slowly, through a progression in his training time.

We signed Chuks knowing he had a problematic injury which has now seen him out of action for almost a year. He has, though, made excellent progress since he’s been with us and has worked tirelessly during this two-and-a-half month period. It’s been very frustrating for him but his superb progression is a testament to him and his application.

There is still a long way to go and returning to full-time training and first-team matches will be a big hurdle for him to overcome but the early signs are very positive. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

I thought I read that Aneke failed a medical @ QPR before joining us
    That's what I was wondering?

• Options
    Sounds as if Chuks might have had a similar history to Solly. This is the injury update following his cruciate ligament operation back in 2016 and when with MK Dons:

Chuks has also had a very positive couple of weeks. When we last spoke, I mentioned that he had started to build through his running progressions, which he has now completed. He has recently undergone a football-specific rehabilitation programme and we are currently in the early stages of the next step, which is integrating him into training. We will closely monitor him during this stage and will aim to build him up slowly, through a progression in his training time.

We signed Chuks knowing he had a problematic injury which has now seen him out of action for almost a year. He has, though, made excellent progress since he’s been with us and has worked tirelessly during this two-and-a-half month period. It’s been very frustrating for him but his superb progression is a testament to him and his application.

There is still a long way to go and returning to full-time training and first-team matches will be a big hurdle for him to overcome but the early signs are very positive. 
    I also remember Bowyer saying this time last year, something like "Aneke's body can't seem to cope with the intensity of training we expect, and he's breaking down as a result".

As I said, something like that. Obvious that Bowyer knows he needs to take great care of Aneke.

• Options

Brutal! Where's that from?
  • Options

Brutal! Where's that from?
    Not sure because my son forwarded it to me.
    I'm guessing it's the season preview supplement in FourFourTwo magazine
  • Options

When I saw this thread pop up just now, I thought, "Blimey, we've only gone and signed Bogle again!" :astonished:

I know we think we're desperate for another striker, but ........ (!)

Anyway, relax.

• Options
    That's really harsh. After all, this is what our previous Manager said on signing Bogle:

"I’m over the moon with Omar’s signing. He’s good at everything, his all-around game as a striker is really good and we’ll improve him, which we do with all our players. He will be a very good striker in this division.

And then he abruptly gifted him to Doncaster... 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    That's really harsh. After all, this is what our previous Manager said on signing Bogle:

"I’m over the moon with Omar’s signing. He’s good at everything, his all-around game as a striker is really good and we’ll improve him, which we do with all our players. He will be a very good striker in this division.

Gift or curse? 
  • Options
    ??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I think there were quite a few months between the October quotes when we got him, and when we let him go. 
  • Options
    For one awful moment I thought this thread had reappeared because we were going to re-sign him 🤯
  • Options
    For one awful moment I thought this thread had reappeared because we were going to re-sign him 🤯
    Well... Window's not closed yet...
  • Options
    We might have to!

• Options
    Bogle and Maddison are examples of what you get if you just buy whatever is available in a hurry. We didn't have a lot of choice last season, but they are a lesson in why it;s better to wait and get players you want than just buy anyone who plays in a position you need to fill (assuming that is what we are doing).
    Maddison was the one that hurt, I bought into the hype and genuinely believed he would be an amazing signing.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Bogle and Maddison are examples of what you get if you just buy whatever is available in a hurry. We didn't have a lot of choice last season, but they are a lesson in why it;s better to wait and get players you want than just buy anyone who plays in a position you need to fill (assuming that is what we are doing).
    Maddison was the one that hurt, I bought into the hype and genuinely believed he would be an amazing signing.
    I completely agree. 

I think in the interview/ Q&A with Thomas that he has clearly been burned by last season's failed signings. 

I agree with his approach this time out. Careful, considered signings.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    We might have to!

NO NO NO NO 🤦🏻‍♀️🤯
  • Options
    Banjo and barn door spring to mind.