Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Gallen

Comments

• Options
    He's another one for the scored on debut thread.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:
    alangee said:
    Surely finally getting Kirk made getting an upgrade at left back a priority.
    Certainly desirable, but I would guess the budget did not allow for it.
    Say the choice was right sided CH or a left back? Which would you have gone for? I am a bit jaundiced by last season, but would have gone for the CH.
    Will be some budget left given we’re looking at free agents.
    Some budget, but if LB had been a priority I am convinced that we would have got one in, even if it had been a loan. We had a plan A and B for a good CH.
    I doubt that any free agent is going to be better than Purrington.
    I’m sure it was on the list but not a high priority, especially after we decided we had to improve central midfield by going for Arter and Lee - surely that wouldn’t have happened had Clare and Dobson started better and Gilbey been available.

NA clearly rates Purrington enough to feel comfortable being in no rush for an alternative. Might not get better than him but if we can get a similar level but with pace and a more attacking style that’ll improve us.
    The problem hasn't been not having a more attacking option to Purrington, but not having a LB at all. Will Purrington be available for Cheltenham, seeing we've now gone 6 or 7 weeks with no LB in the squad

I still think we've ended up with a lop sided squad with too many midfield options. Especially when we had 2 academy midfield players who both made appearances 2 seasons ago in the Championship (Vennings and Dempsey) plus Henry, who could surely be thrown in
  • Options
    i have friends from Doncaster and they reckon a large chunk of their squad are on £200 / week - how accurate that is i'm not sure but don't think they will be climbing off the bottom any time soon 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    On or close to deadline day Cawley said we were after a left sided defender. He’s since said we looking at bringing in two free agents, I expect that’ll be a left back and either a goalkeeper or a striker.
    Get Josh MaGennis back...he could do both.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:
    alangee said:
    Say the choice was right sided CH or a left back? Which would you have gone for? I am a bit jaundiced by last season, but would have gone for the CH.
    Some budget, but if LB had been a priority I am convinced that we would have got one in, even if it had been a loan. We had a plan A and B for a good CH.
    I’m sure it was on the list but not a high priority, especially after we decided we had to improve central midfield by going for Arter and Lee - surely that wouldn’t have happened had Clare and Dobson started better and Gilbey been available.

NA clearly rates Purrington enough to feel comfortable being in no rush for an alternative. Might not get better than him but if we can get a similar level but with pace and a more attacking style that’ll improve us.
    The problem hasn't been not having a more attacking option to Purrington, but not having a LB at all. Will Purrington be available for Cheltenham, seeing we've now gone 6 or 7 weeks with no LB in the squad

I still think we've ended up with a lop sided squad with too many midfield options. Especially when we had 2 academy midfield players who both made appearances 2 seasons ago in the Championship (Vennings and Dempsey) plus Henry, who could surely be thrown in
    None of those are realistically going to be first team players though. And the midfield options aren't that overloaded either given JFC and Gilbey aren't fit yet and Watson is 36 and probably not going to be a regular.

Kirk, DJ, Leko and CBT are all more forwards (not necessarily strikers) than midfielders in the traditional sense too.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    i have friends from Doncaster and they reckon a large chunk of their squad are on £200 / week - how accurate that is i'm not sure but don't think they will be climbing off the bottom any time soon 

Can't see that in a million years, I know non league players on more than that. 

Agreed.
    There are many players in the 7th tier earning more than that as part time players.

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:
    alangee said:

None of those are realistically going to be first team players though. And the midfield options aren't that overloaded either given JFC and Gilbey aren't fit yet and Watson is 36 and probably not going to be a regular.

Kirk, DJ, Leko and CBT are all more forwards (not necessarily strikers) than midfielders in the traditional sense too.
    Those 3 are all realistic options in case we have an injury crisis though. 

Arter, Morgan, Watson, Clare, Dobson + Gilbey is a lot of options for the 2 central midfield options, not even including JFC and you can add in Lee if you want to play 3 with one more advanced.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I think 200 is on the low side but they aren't paying league 1 wages.  I know that for a fact. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:

Can't see that in a million years, I know non league players on more than that. 

Surely it's just simply a missing '0' from original post.
    Most of squad on £2k a week, would make more sense?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Are you sure? 

They can earn more working in their local Co-op.

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:
    alangee said:

It won’t look lopsided if we bring in 2 free agents as Cawley suggested.

I’m glad we brought in Arter and Lee to strengthen the midfield, it was obviously needed after those first few games. I’d rather that than only sign one (or even none) just because it means we possibly have slightly more than we need. If we get a few injuries the depth will come in handy.

The academy players are irrelevant as only Henry is likely to make it, and he’s probably not ready yet.
  • Options
    Have we even been rumoured for a single left-back during the entirity of the summer window? 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Have we even been rumoured for a single left-back during the entirity of the summer window? 
    Apart from the one on trial last week and the one Cawley linked us to on deadline day?

What about the one we just signed :wink:
  • Options
    Yep.

But even so, rumours can count for nothing - as we've often seen during this last window.

Several of our latest signings have been well kept secrets until shortly before they actually signed.

Remember the poster who always says WIOTOS? :wink:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Yep.

But even so, rumours can count for nothing - as we've often seen during this last window.

Several of our latest signings have been well kept secrets until shortly before they actually signed.

Remember the poster who always says WIOTOS? :wink:

Which it is now!
  • Options
    Some Senegalese guy but he won't sign.
  • Options
    No, they have all been married.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why is it every time i hear Billy Busy talk after a transfer deadline, i am left thinking he is full of shit.
  • Options
    Perhaps he should be on performance related pay as he seems to have a free pass, go through the motions fail every time shrug your shoulders and slip back into the background.
    Is he ever accountable?
    it’s a bit like being a dentist: noone ever questions what they’re telling you, just accept it as the truth!
  • Options
    On the face of it waste of a salary, we have signed half the Swindon team via our new manager and very little else other than a half decent palace loan.

Once again short in crucial areas forward and centre half and a left back fucking crazy.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    It’s scapegoat time! I love scapegoat time. 
    It's all Gilbeys fault.
  • Options
    I don’t think it’s scapegoat time but I do think his thinking is limited. To me, when we in the market for a player, he has his go to list. Stockley, Cullen, Leko, Famewo, Bonne to name a few. And he gravitated back to QPR, a club he knows well for other players like Smyth. He needs to broaden his horizons, IMO. Stockton was the best striker I saw at the Valley last season. But we were never in the market for him. I’m sure he would have fitted into our style of play but not even considered 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Gallen isn't in charge of identifying the players is he? I thought he was mostly on negotiations, which apparently he's very good at. I don't know what the salaries of our newest signings are but we seem to have brought in a squad that can play decent football within budget. Unless he's given O'Connell 40k a week in which case burn him.
  • Options
    I think we/you need to know more about the background before pulling the gun out - you're doing that thing of shouting at the postman because you didn't like the smell of your perfume!