Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Samuel Oguntayo on trial

Kingstonian right winger/left back played for the U23s today.

Another young non-league winger after Thomas from Boreham Wood deal fell through.

U23s lost 5 - 0 so not perhaps a good game to judge him and he's only 17 or 18.

Sun article from March 2020

CRYSTAL PALACE are leading Manchester City in the race for non-League sensation Samuel Oguntayo.

SunSport understands the Eagles sent scouts to watch the versatile wideman in action for semi-professional side Kingstonian in their 4-2 defeat to Cheshunt on Wednesday.

Crystal Palace are leading Man City in the race for Kingstonian starlet Samuel Oguntayo
Crystal Palace are leading Man City in the race for Kingstonian starlet Samuel OguntayoCredit: Kingstonian FC

The Premier League champions also had people in attendance to run the rule over the 17-year-old, who only made his league debut back in January.

But Oguntayo has now accepted an offer to train with Palace's Under-23s next week at their Copers Cope Road base.

The pacy teen, who has been likened to City ace Benjamin Mendy, can operate both at left-back and right-wing and has also attracted interest from Watford and Leeds United.

Comments

• edited November 2020
    Right winger/left back, that's rather unusual?
  • edited November 2020
    More or less how we've been using Doughty so right up our street
  • I assume his trial with Palace did not work out in March and City now not interested, so it is our turn
  • MattF said:
    More or less how we've been using Doughty so right up our street
    True.
  • This sounds great - we are starting to look at players with a view to the future. Add that on to our awesome academy and things feel like they are becoming really optimistic again. 
  • Lookman. Pope. Aribo... Got to be £60M+ of talent.

We have an amazing recent record of finding non league jewels.
    Gorman.....Portway......Sessions (RIP)
  • edited November 2020
  • Our under 23s lost 5-0 to Kingston?
  • Sponsored links:

No Barnsley... this lad is on trial from Kingstonian
    Im surprised we would be playing Barnsley at this level and not more localised teams, especially with covid lockdown.
    Thank god for that...I saw a future of very little profit in our development squad!
  • Hal1x said:
    Our under 23s lost 5-0 to Kingston?
    Im surprised we would be playing Barnsley at this level and not more localised teams, especially with covid lockdown.
    Fixtures are just bizarre: https://www.cafc.co.uk/matches/u23-matches

Also play the likes of Sheffield United and Nottingham Forest (who we've just played)
    Well losing 5-0 to Barnsley is pretty bad, but i'm assuming it was a very young U23 side given that the U23s will be playing Orient tomorrow night.
    Well losing 5-0 to Barnsley is pretty bad, but i'm assuming it was a very young U23 side given that the U23s will be playing Orient tomorrow night.
    Mostly u18s someone said.
  • Right winger/left back, that's rather unusual?
    It’s clever when you think about it.  As a right winger, he knows how to beat a man and get a cross in the box.

as a right winger playing at left back, he knows how the winger will beat him and stops him!!!!
  • This sounds great - we are starting to look at players with a view to the future. Add that on to our awesome academy and things feel like they are becoming really optimistic again. 
    To be fair, this is hardly something new. We've constantly trialed and signed non league players down the years, most either end up rejected or leave after a year or two, but occasionally you strike lucky with a Pope, Aribo or Lookman
  • A young 17 year old from my local 8 tier club, recently had a week training with Norwich- played in a trial match for the West Ham u18 and had scout galore watching him but he still hasn't gone anywhere.

Sounds like Samuel is doing the rounds.

• Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    This sounds great - we are starting to look at players with a view to the future. Add that on to our awesome academy and things feel like they are becoming really optimistic again. 
    To be fair, this is hardly something new. We've constantly trialed and signed non league players down the years, most either end up rejected or leave after a year or two, but occasionally you strike lucky with a Pope, Aribo or Lookman

I only know Pope was released by Ipswich and came to CAFC via Bury his local team in Suffolk at about 16. 

I spoke to the guy who runs Kinetic foundation last week, (Harry Hudson) and Joe Aribo spent time there and was a defender who showed great promise but was all arms and legs.
    Despite having various trials at League clubs, it was going to Staines that got his career going before being spotted by Cafc. 

Ademola Lookman was tiny and played for Waterloo for 5 years in the massive Tandridge League (Kent, Surrey and London) and again was having trials at various clubs but for one reason or another (5ft 9 now but was small till he was 15)
    Keep falling through the net ! I believe he spent time at Spurs training and having trial matches.

At Waterloo, when Lookman was 13 he played a year above and going by the feedback I got from a lad who is a part-time pro now and played in the same team, Ademola was mustard but was mainly a sub to him !!!  This lad Ryan had a half a dozen games at Colchester but was released. (They are still mates despite their football fortunes being so different)

It's so competitive and getting contracts is so difficult and the fall out rate is so high.
  • Not judging any players on the Barnsley result. A lot of younger than young youngsters in the squad. Good experience for them to play Barnsley (who also had a couple of first teamers in their side I believe)
  • Right winger/left back, that's rather unusual?
    More and more common nowadays, if they're defender you want your strong foot to be down the line, but when attacking in say a 433 most players want to be able to cut in onto their dominant foot. This is when I find out he is right footed and I look at plum!

I only know Pope was released by Ipswich and came to CAFC via Bury his local team in Suffolk at about 16. 

I spoke to the guy who runs Kinetic foundation last week, (Harry Hudson) and Joe Aribo spent time there and was a defender who showed great promise but was all arms and legs.
    Despite having various trials at League clubs, it was going to Staines that got his career going before being spotted by Cafc. 

Ademola Lookman was tiny and played for Waterloo for 5 years in the massive Tandridge League (Kent, Surrey and London) and again was having trials at various clubs but for one reason or another (5ft 9 now but was small till he was 15)
    Keep falling through the net ! I believe he spent time at Spurs training and having trial matches.

At Waterloo, when Lookman was 13 he played a year above and going by the feedback I got from a lad who is a part-time pro now and played in the same team, Ademola was mustard but was mainly a sub to him !!!  This lad Ryan had a half a dozen games at Colchester but was released. (They are still mates despite their football fortunes being so different)

It's so competitive and getting contracts is so difficult and the fall out rate is so high.
    Must be even harder now with many clubs being skint and (i'd imagine) a vast majority of league 1 & 2 and NL clubs just offering 1-2 year deals.

Must be even harder now with many clubs being skint and (i'd imagine) a vast majority of league 1 & 2 and NL clubs just offering 1-2 year deals.

When a player like Adam Matthews, who had a decent season in the Championship despite our relegation couldn't get a contract without a big drop in wages you realize the musical chair element of Professional football in the EFL.

The obscene wealth in the Elitist Premier League is totally alien to the guys down the football pyrimid. 

• Playing for the U23’s today
  • Any good or one for development squad ?
  • Any good or one for development squad ?
    Looks good for the u23’s but he wouldn’t be the first youngster not capable of making the step up. 

He’s lightning quick and good going forward, a bit iffy defensively.