Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any watch fanciers on here?

Comments

• Options
    He

Here's my latest acquisition - the Squale 1521 combined with a Gekota jubilee bracelet.
  • Options
    Just got my first Hamilton as an every day type watch. 

Khaki Chrono Auto……

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    This will be my latest acquisition - rare as hen's teeth (two year waiting list) and one of the very few manufacturers that make flume enamel dials. It was a birthday pressie from the missus and it's due to be ready for delivery in October/November.

You lucky lucky lucky duck.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I am staying in a Miami hotel, one of those with fancy boutiques in, and last night I tried a Richard Mille on and fell in love. Will no doubt go back today and stare at it. Also tried on a PP Aquanaut which was my first love, but the Mille has just surpassed it. 
    Which model?
    RM005 @bobmunro
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    This will be my latest acquisition - rare as hen's teeth (two year waiting list) and one of the very few manufacturers that make flume enamel dials. It was a birthday pressie from the missus and it's due to be ready for delivery in October/November.

Love that. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    PS I always wear my watch with the face on the underside of my wrist. Does anybody else do that?
    Yes, Seth, always. It is not us that wears our watches the wrong way round it is everyone else!  I even have an Omega specifically designed for wearing this way.  (See my post on page 1).

The affectation started back when cars didn't have clocks so when driving it was easier to see what the time was without turning your arm around. In fact it is still easier to see the time that way.  The trend for ridiculously oversized watch diameters (some are more like mantel clocks than wristwatches) means I stick with it even when the 12 position is in the wrong place.

I have now added to my watch collection as my day-to-day Swatch was showing signs of wear - I have a Maserati watch - designed by Morellato but made in China. It was relatively cheap but I quite like it. I am now hankering after one of the incredibly popular Omega X Swatch MoonSwatches which seem like a bit of a bargain - if you can find one!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    This is my backup that I have owned for an age (see bottom of page as I'm an IT luddite). Absolutely love it. I travel in many dodgy places and when people see it on my arm I get a pass.
    My service issued CwC G10 (showing my age) was lost to the sea a couple of years ago and I still haven't replaced it.
    Cannot decide between the following.
    MAT - Officer
    MWC - Unbranded G10
    Hamilton - khaki field
    Christopher Ward - C65

Being tough as nails is the priority as I've destroyed quite a few supposed military watches.

MAT is top of the list so far
  • Options
    Rolex is - officially and legally, at least - a charity.  This is a surprising fact I only learned this weekend. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He

Here's my latest acquisition - the Squale 1521 combined with a Gekota jubilee bracelet.

You have more hair on your arms than I have on my head.
  • Options
    Investing in a datejust, but keen to get some opinions on whether this 36mm dial is too small for my wrist.  The 41 is too chunky so may have to go for a different model altogether if so
  • Options
    Is that the 41 @Croydon?

If it is, it looks good to me. Great watch. I have one, a 41 and skinny wrists. 
  • Options
    Is that the 41 @Croydon?

If it is, it looks good to me. Great watch. I have one, a 41 and skinny wrists. 
    It's the 36 mate.

My daily watch is a 41mm aquaracer so I think you're right @bobmunro, it's just what I've become accustomed to looking at! 
  • Options
    36mm is the classic size for a Datejust too. 
  • Options
    For a fair deal on watches always Beau Gems in Leadenhall Market. 
  • Options
    Breitling Chronomat Blackbird SE

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Investing in a datejust, but keen to get some opinions on whether this 36mm dial is too small for my wrist.  The 41 is too chunky so may have to go for a different model altogether if so
    Looks good at that size. I read recently that a Timex explorer is more accurate over a 6 day period than the DJ. Weird.
  • Options
    And its friend on this trip a Ulysse Nardin GMT big date

• Options
    Many thanks to @bobmunro who linked to a watch with Chinese numerals on Amazon (£22.99).
    Alas not radio controlled but there you go🙂.
    Anyway what put me off was the leather strap.
    So I rooted around and found you could buy a nylon ‘NATO’ strap (£5.99), a tool for dealing with the watch spring pins (£2.88), and some spare pins for when you get clumsy and a pin flies away to an unknown corner of the room (£1.97).
    Total spend £33.83.

• Options
    I sold a few watches recently, it's looking like a decent decision as prices are coming down, so anyone buying high end now is the time to negotiate especially those dealers sitting on a lot of stock.
  • Options
    Looking for some advice from you knowledgeable chaps on here.
    An Omega Constellation Perpetual Calendar watch has come into my possession following the passing last year of my FIL. it looks as though it has sat in its box for a number of years with a dead battery.
    My questions are, (a) where do I go to get a new battery? and (b) will I need to go to the expense of getting it serviced?
    Many thanks in advance.

• Options
    Most jewellers will change the battery for you - or you could just go to Timpsons who also do simple watch repairs.

In terms of servicing - quartz watches do not need the same frequency of servicing that a mechanical watch does, but if it hasn't been used for a long time then a service would be advisable, which shouldn't cost a great deal. Your main worry is battery leakage if the dead battery has been in there for years, and you'll only discover that when you take off the back. Fingers crossed as it can completely f*ck the watch movement!

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Most jewellers will change the battery for you - or you could just go to Timpsons who also do simple watch repairs.

In terms of servicing - quartz watches do not need the same frequency of servicing that a mechanical watch does, but if it hasn't been used for a long time then a service would be advisable, which shouldn't cost a great deal. Your main worry is battery leakage if the dead battery has been in there for years, and you'll only discover that when you take off the back. Fingers crossed as it can completely f*ck the watch movement!

Thanks for that Bob. I reckon it's been tucked away for at least 10 years and probably more like 15.
  • Options
    Has anyone been lucky enough to pick up a MoonSwatch yet? 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Has anyone been lucky enough to pick up a MoonSwatch yet? 
    See @CAFCsayer 's post half way up page above.