Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any watch fanciers on here?

Comments

• Options
    I’m a big fan of big f*ck off analogue watches. But my question is how do they fit when you are wearing a business shirt ? I’ve got a Garmin sports watch and I can’t wear it with work sleeves. I can’t justify a fancy (expensive) analogue watch anyway. But I’m toying with the idea of getting an Apple Watch ultra for my 50th. Which will have the same problem? And is the strap connection not a pain when using a mouse?  
  • Options
    I've got an Apple Watch Ultra 2, and it's doesn't get in the way, the straps can be as thin or as wide as you need, and the watch doesn't feel as massive as you think it is 
  • Options
    Did you get your Ti Twelve @bobmunro?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I’m a big fan of big f*ck off analogue watches. But my question is how do they fit when you are wearing a business shirt ? I’ve got a Garmin sports watch and I can’t wear it with work sleeves. I can’t justify a fancy (expensive) analogue watch anyway. But I’m toying with the idea of getting an Apple Watch ultra for my 50th. Which will have the same problem? And is the strap connection not a pain when using a mouse?  
    It's not the diameter of the watch case, rather the height (including crystal). That said, I'm wearing a watch today that is 13mm deep and no issue with it being under my cuff - but I don't like tight cuffs! I would not wear an Apple Ultra under a cuff - it is huge in all dimensions! Lug to lug is also another key dimension as to how it fits on the wrist.

Mechanical watches will tend to be thicker in height because of the movement and therefore quartz watches (spit!!) may be better. There are exceptions and there are some incredible mechanical watches under 3mm!
  • Options
    Yes I did - and very pleased with it. 

CW have definitely upped their game and the Bel Canto has of course helped to raise their profile. A new moonphase is being launched on 25 October so worth a look.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

CW have definitely upped their game and the Bel Canto has of course helped to raise their profile. A new moonphase is being launched on 25 October so worth a look.
    Agree. Also looks like they’ve got their logo nailed down at last. 

Also maybe a gold or bronze Twelve coming tomorrow I think ?!?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Yes, likely bezel only. It would need to be gold - bronze on a integrated bracelet dress/sports watch wouldn't age well!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Yes, likely bezel only. It would need to be gold - bronze on an integrated bracelet dress/sports watch wouldn't age well!
    Agreed. I keep thinking of getting a bronze - but keep baulking at it due to the patina. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Yes, likely bezel only. It would need to be gold - bronze on an integrated bracelet dress/sports watch wouldn't age well!
    Agreed. I keep thinking of getting a bronze - but keep baulking at it due to the patina. 
    I've got a Tudor Black Bay in bronze and the patina suits it well.

But never a dress watch!
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Got to be brave to wear a high end watch out these days loads of people getting mugged these days for them 
    Agreed, some bas**** turned me over for my Timberland piece a while ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    I've got an Apple Watch Ultra 2, and it's doesn't get in the way, the straps can be as thin or as wide as you need, and the watch doesn't feel as massive as you think it is 
    Good choice sir.

Had my Apple Watch Ultra 1 for almost a year now.

Tbh, my previous watch was a Garmin Fenix 3 (the battery is still lasting 3-4 days a charge now even though its 8 years old now!) so this doesnt feel as big as that did, that was like having an ancient sun dial on my wrist.

I swapped the alpine loop strap it came with for a titanium strap.  It just used to absorb too much water in the shower and would takes ages to dry out.  The strap was made by Bezeli (IIRC), saw it advertised on Faceache and went for it, think it was less than £50 from memory.

Love how it integrates with my Macbook Pro, so no password needed now when I open the lid or come back to it after a period away from my desk.

Apple Pay is a godsend.  No more carrying a wallet with me.  And thanks to my neighbour, he told me about the express travel card set up, which had totally escaped me.  Now no more activating Apple Pay to touch in/out on trains/bus/tube, where TFL were double charging me for incomplete journeys on both phone and watch (where one would get rejected so you use the other and ens up with two different payment references despite it being the same bank account!)

Not sure I could go back to a nornal watch now.

One thing that annoys me though, the 'complications' are a good idea (the short cuts on the corners of the display) but I lose count of the number of times I accidentally activate them during a day.  If Apple could sort that out it would be perfect.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Correct @bobmunro

Too dressy for me. 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Rothko said:
    Good choice sir.

Had my Apple Watch Ultra 1 for almost a year now.

Tbh, my previous watch was a Garmin Fenix 3 (the battery is still lasting 3-4 days a charge now even though its 8 years old now!) so this doesnt feel as big as that did, that was like having an ancient sun dial on my wrist.

I swapped the alpine loop strap it came with for a titanium strap.  It just used to absorb too much water in the shower and would takes ages to dry out.  The strap was made by Bezeli (IIRC), saw it advertised on Faceache and went for it, think it was less than £50 from memory.

Love how it integrates with my Macbook Pro, so no password needed now when I open the lid or come back to it after a period away from my desk.

Apple Pay is a godsend.  No more carrying a wallet with me.  And thanks to my neighbour, he told me about the express travel card set up, which had totally escaped me.  Now no more activating Apple Pay to touch in/out on trains/bus/tube, where TFL were double charging me for incomplete journeys on both phone and watch (where one would get rejected so you use the other and ens up with two different payment references despite it being the same bank account!)

Not sure I could go back to a nornal watch now.

One thing that annoys me though, the 'complications' are a good idea (the short cuts on the corners of the display) but I lose count of the number of times I accidentally activate them during a day.  If Apple could sort that out it would be perfect.
    How resistant is the screen to scratches?
  • Options
    I’m curious whether people prefer to wear their watches on their dominant side (hand) or weaker side? 

I wear a watch on my weaker (right)  , but I use a mouse on my right. So the strap can be uncomfortable when resting on my desk. It’s a pain.

don’t know how to do polls. So perhaps like for dominant and lol for weaker. Or do nothing for ‘not telling’!

• Options
    Right Handed - Wear watch on left. 
  • Options
    I wear mine on my right wrist despite being right handed, but that stems from when I was 11 and shattered my left elbow so that arm was out of action for best part of 2 years.
  • Options
    Right Handed and wear my watches on the right. 

Some nice watches guys! 
  • Options
    Right Handed - Wear watch on left. 

Ditto
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Correct @bobmunro

Too dressy for me. 

Agreed - don't like it at all.

My guess is that it's aimed at women, especially the other colour- it's described as unisex. CW have had some blinders in the last year or so - Sealander, Trident 300 and Bel Canto - so they were due a turkey.

• Options
    When CW first released the Twelve it was a great watch. However, they have seemed to have milked it to death, releasing a 36mm version and now this all within a couple of months instead of staggering the releases over a year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ross said:
    When CW first released the Twelve it was a great watch. However, they have seemed to have milked it to death, releasing a 36mm version and now this all within a couple of months instead of staggering the releases over a year.

New Moon Phase due in a couple of weeks too.
  • Options
    I thought you wore it on non dominant hand as use main hand to do it up.

also the reason why the buttons are on the right hand side of the watch 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

There is an advantage of the crown on the inside - it doesn't dig into your hand when you bend your wrist.

Anyway,

Left Handed These Watches Are for You

:)

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

In fact I’ve discovered today that with Apple Watches you can flip the display so the buttons can be on whatever side you desire
  • Options
    Left handed, wear watch on the left wrist
  • Options
    Right handed, watch on my right.
  • Options
    Right-handed and wear my watch on my left wrist.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    MrOneLung said:

There is an advantage of the crown on the inside - it doesn't dig into your hand when you bend your wrist.

Anyway,

Left Handed These Watches Are for You

:)

You got any ‘lhd’ type watches @bobmonro ?
  • Options
    Has anyone dabbled in vintage Omega Seamasters? And if yes, has anyone purchased from here?

Home | Authentic Watch Co.

With this website everything looks legit, all watches are serviced with a one year warranty, so there should be no issues. Just wondering if there's anything I'd need to look out for individual watch wise?
  • Options
    I only put on a watch (I have two) when going out. Less dominant hand (left).
    I used to have a perfect German made radio controlled watch that was always exactly right to the millisecond but that eventually died and I have never been able to find a suitable replacement, which would be a plain white face with no date window or any other feature.
    I wear my Mondrian ( cheap not flash) on the inside of my wrist due to my historic caution about the glass on the outside being broken during a tumble when I was a motorcyclist, but I wear my cheap Chinese numbered watch on the outside of the wrist, maybe because it is cheaper to replace.
    To me one important feature of watch wearing is the strap which mustn’t be leather of any kind, I changed the Chinese watch leather strap for a bright red fabric one.