Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Bill (Old school)

I've recently imbibed in The Bill (the early years) on UK Play,  Reminds me of old nostalgic/ sentimental London of our yoofs and seems a world away from life today.

Some very bad things of course but at the same time it seemed a far simpler time and very comforting and relatable. Anyone else watching it?

Of course same is applied for Fools n horses and Minder.

Reg Hollis was a wrong un wasn't he? Roy Galloway= good bloke, heart in the right place Ted Roach =LEGEND.

Also, remembering back to watching The Bill and Juliet Bravo back in my 1980s Orpington upbringing I really thought that glue sniffing was going to be much more of a problematic lifestyle issue than it turned out to eventually be.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Tosh Lines
  • Options
    Tony Scannell used to drink in the Blackheath Newbridge Club when I used to go there in the early 90’s. He seemed a nice bloke. 
  • Options
    ...it seemed a far simpler time...

Agreed. But the Witch and Co. had control. The nation has been on a downward spiral ever since.
    Yep, it’s a shame we can’t bring her back.

;) 
  • Options
    Used to love this back in the day. Can still reel off loads of the character names even now and i haven't watched it for about 15 years.

Reg Hollis, Tosh Lines, June Ackland, Tony Stamp, Jim Carver, Don Beech, Chief Inspector Conway, D.I. Manson, Jack Meadows, Burnside, Brownlow, Okaro.
  • Options
    Funny enough was telling one of my boys about this show on Thursday. Used to love Sun Hill’s finest. Great programme 
  • Options
    The other half is an avid soap fan and I used to watch the Bill and now Eastenders. A while ago we were trying to (without IMDB) name the actors that've appeared in both.

• Options
    Used to love this back in the day. Can still reel off loads of the character names even now and i haven't watched it for about 15 years.

Reg Hollis, Tosh Lines, June Ackland, Tony Stamp, Jim Carver, Don Beech, Chief Inspector Conway, D.I. Manson, Jack Meadows, Burnside, Brownlow, Okaro.
    4-4-2
    With Ackland on the bench?
  • Options
    Loved the episode where Burnside was leading a raid on a scrapyard and as the occupants could be a tad "tasty" he opens the car boot so they could all grab baseball bats.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Beech and Burnside were the best 
  • Options
    My favourite scene was when Galloway was in a patrol car with three other plods. Suddenly he shouts to the driver to turn around and follow that car. When asked why he says 'burglars head, the driver has one'.
    Astonished looks but they follow the car for about 5 minutes before it stops and said driver gets out. Turns out he was an undercover cop! Hilarious. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Yes, have been dipping into this now and then during lockdown.  My dear old mum could never quite get Brownlow's name right and always called him Brownloaf.

What amazes me is that we used to watch this religiously, yet now, we're regularly seeing episodess that we can't recall.

June Ackland Eh. Wudya?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Quick quiz. 

Whose legs were they that walked along in the opening credits. 
  • Options
    Used to love it back in the day.
    During lockdown started watching the 1 episode a day they have on drama.
    I think they were episodes from 2004/2005 back in March.
    got quite into it again and have even recorded the odd episode I would have missed now that everyone is back to work.
    up to 2007 now.
  • Options
    Great show, but I only really got into it during its later years. The last 2-3 years before it finished were strong, and it was a shame to see it axed.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Quick quiz. 

Jim Carver (on his day off) and Tosh Lines.
  • Options
    Quick Quiz - where is sun hill police station now and what is it currently used as?
  • Options
    They used to film it at the studios near Wimbledon and I remember walking out of the tube one night and walking straight into a mob of guys in football shirts, mostly England ones but some others I didn’t recognise,  just hanging around. The first thought I had as I pushed through them was how did I miss there being a match tonight, then realised they were extras and they were filming the Bill.
  • Options
    I loved the Bill

Smithy all day long. Nails he was to the very end 

I liked Don Beech at peak rogue as well 

The real wrong uns were from the Jasmine Allen Estate 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The other half is an avid soap fan and I used to watch the Bill and now Eastenders. A while ago we were trying to (without IMDB) name the actors that've appeared in both.

Max and Bianca in the glue sniffing episode I was watching last night...

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I had to take a prop to the studio once. It was down in Morden. I almost walked in whilst they were shooting. Interesting chat with the team that have to get the props. He said it’s surprisingly how helpful people are to lend out to film studios. Never watched the program. 
  • Options

Max and Bianca in the glue sniffing episode I was watching last night...

Is that a young Ben Watson?
  • Options
    I used to watch it when the episodes were an hour long. Always remember the DI with ginger hair. Tosh Lines was a drunkard though & I believe they had to throw him off the set because of it. 
  • Options
    I used to watch it when the episodes were an hour long. Always remember the DI with ginger hair. Tosh Lines was a drunkard though & I believe they had to throw him off the set because of it. 

Yeah he was Roy Galloway.  I thought by the Bill standards he was a very decent actor.  He left at end if series three when they moved to 30 min episodes without any comment or fanfare which was a real shame.

Not seen him in anything else and wondered why as he was decent.
  • Options
    Funny enough was telling one of my boys about this show on Thursday. Used to love Sun Hill’s finest. Great programme 
    Should this be on the coincidences thread ? 
  • Options
    I've recently imbibed in The Bill (the early years) on UK Play,  Reminds me of old nostalgic/ sentimental London of our yoofs and seems a world away from life today.

Some very bad things of course but at the same time it seemed a far simpler time and very comforting and relatable. Anyone else watching it?

Of course same is applied for Fools n horses and Minder.

Reg Hollis was a wrong un wasn't he? Roy Galloway= good bloke, heart in the right place Ted Roach =LEGEND.

Also, remembering back to watching The Bill and Juliet Bravo back in my 1980s Orpington upbringing I really thought that glue sniffing was going to be much more of a problematic lifestyle issue than it turned out to eventually be.
    Lost my virginity to a girl who was obsessed with Reg Hollis.

What that tells you, I have no idea.

Did she call you Reg?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Quick quiz. 

We had a mate who we used to say walked the same way (can't remember if he did).

Could really wind him up by whistling the theme tune as he wandered off to the bar etc.