Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I think we are in an unusual position in that relative to the league, the squad is pretty strong. Bowyer ignores the fact that we are relatively comfortable in a game and attempts to make us uncomfortable. His position is clearly that professionalism of players means they should be able to do this without being uncomfortable.

But the are not doing it, over and over again and then you clearly get in the realms of complete stubbornness. The data is there for all to see and the only one who can't see it seems to be Bowyer.

Why I think it is worth bringing in a caretaker manager like say JJ or Euell is that they will know the players. I noticed in his interview on Valley Pass that Curbs was not aware that Aneke is miles better than every other striker we have for example. Of course, if I was Sandgaard, i'd wan't to be sure they would not follow the same defensive tactics, but there is no reason to suppose that is the case. If it doesn't work, you can change it far more easily.

Maybe there is a case for making JJ and Euell joint managers so they can support each other and one could come to the forefront in a similar way to Curbs did with Gritt. I think this is a short term solution but it could work.

Where a few fans sell themselves short is in assuming they can't spot a flaw in approach because they are not qualified to be managers. That is true. I'm sure I would be a disaster if given the job. But I have been watching football for longer than Bowyer and that in itself gives you a insight that tells you that if the tactics look like a turd, smell like a turd and even taste like a turd, that is probably what they are. 
  • Options
    Bad result yesterday, a couple of minutes away from being 2 points off top with games in hand. Remembering as well that he cobbled this team together late and now has some key injuries. Bowyer needs to learn, but he’s a very good manager. We will win this league. 
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Bad result yesterday, a couple of minutes away from being 2 points off top with games in hand. Remembering as well that he cobbled this team together late and now has some key injuries. Bowyer needs to learn, but he’s a very good manager. We will win this league. 
    Not sure about winning the league but I agree with everything else.
  • Options
    masicat said:

I know masicat is never wrong but feel you might be just this once.
  • Options
    That's the way Bowyer plays.
    Be like me accept it , the late goal then becomes easier to accept.

• Options
    masicat said:
    Not a cat in hells chance we'll win the league. Unless you mean with a different manager........and even then it's very debatable.
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Not a cat in hells chance we'll win the league. Unless you mean with a different manager........and even then it's very debatable.
    If we hadn’t needlessly thrown away 4 points in our last two away games, we would be top with games in hand! 

I dont believe that we will win the league but we will be in the mix. 
  • Options
    If we'd won every game like we should then we'd be well clear at the top...
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:
    As some  people do not think L.B was correct in his tactits,who would people want if he was to go.
    I'll try to answer your question as I'd hate your well meaning thread to be hijacked.

The simple answer is that I have no clue who is available & who might want it, but I suspect there would be more candidates than people would have you believe.

To name a few that I would throw into the mix would be.....

Eddie Howe 
    Nigel Pearson
    Chris Powell
    Slaven Billic

As managers come & go so frequently I lose track of who is in employment & who isn't so there are probably quite a few more who would be interested & would be able to do a decent job. . 
    Howe and Billic interested in Charlton? Never in a month of Sundays.
  • Options
    I’m also getting annoyed with the aneke from the bench week in week out.

bowyer said that chucks is more affective from the bench, but he has only started one or two league games! 

His minutes per goals ration must be the best, if not, one of the best in the league. 

Fitness wise shouldn’t be an issue now! If we have players that complete 90 minutes then we need to look at why? I couldn’t get away with saying I only work well in the afternoon so I’m coming in at lunch! 

If we start with our strongest attacking team each week, the game should be out of sight going into the final 20, then the defensive substitutions will not matter as much
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seriously it's December give the manager and team a bit of time. We will be OK. I've said on numerous other threads I'm not a fan of this negative football and want us to go back to how LB played when he got us on that run to promotion, however this team is pony compared to that team and it ain't Lee's fault.
    Really do understand it's frustrating at the mo, but patience and some stability is key. 
    I don't think it's wise to start going down this road with a new ownership 
    The voice of reason :)
  • Options
    Phil Parkinson is available....
  • Options
    cook. Although I want bowyer to remain, just be a bit more adventurous 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Derek1952 said:
    Its about time this site had spellchecker.
    How about reading over what you’ve written before sending it? I don’t get people who blame their mistakes on spell check. Do they type with their eyes closed and then hit send?
    I always wonder what these people do when writing a letter or note with pen and paper. Who do they blame at that time?
  • Options
    WE WIN THIS LEAGUE 
  • Options
    Playing without the two best centre backs in the league. Half the goals we've shipped would not have happened if one or both had been playing...and I'm not having a pop at Gunter or Pratley here. Love LB and I'm sure he and JJ will get us at least into the playoffs. I do not understand some of his substitutions to be honest; yesterday for instance. Against the worst team I've seen this season, 2-1 up and comfortable. Brings on Purrington and shifts Maatsen into midfield. OK the youngster was having a bit of a torrid time against their big wide player. Chuks, comes on, fine. But leaves Williams on the bench? With his pace Jonny would have frightened them to death. Then we switch to a back five and invite them on, with the predictable result. I mean it's hardly the first time this has happened. We could, and should, have put the game to bed long before they scored late on. 
  • Options
    I think this is a tricky problem to resolve. Bowyer is still a relatively new manager and he’s goigto make mistakes. What he needs is someone he respects and trusts to point that out to him. I don’t think there’s anyone at the club who fits that bill. 

You don’t want the owner getting involved in this, and he’s no more of a football expert than we are. Ged Roddy isn’t a tactician. He’s an organization and development person, and Steve Gallen is scouting/recruitment. Both very experienced, both good at their jobs, but I doubt they would be the right people to address this. 

Johnnie Jackson is closest, but he works for Lee, and has about the same experience level. 

That’s how Curbs gets into these conversation, but Bowyer may see him as more of a threat, the manager in waiting. And managers are not necessarily the best people when it comes to taking other peoples advice. He needs to find someone he trusts. Maybe that’s the best advice the owner can give him. 
  • Options
    Seriously it's December give the manager and team a bit of time. We will be OK. I've said on numerous other threads I'm not a fan of this negative football and want us to go back to how LB played when he got us on that run to promotion, however this team is pony compared to that team and it ain't Lee's fault.
    Really do understand it's frustrating at the mo, but patience and some stability is key. 
    I don't think it's wise to start going down this road with a new ownership 
    None of us are liking the dire self-inflicting negative football we're being served up.

And to my eye, it looks like the players don't like it much either.
    Look how they played in the 2nd half against Wimbledon when they were let off the leash to chase the game - and we had Williams, Maddison and Aneke all on the pitch at the same time.

But it's only around 6 weeks ago that this team were on a roll, 6 wins on the trot - many of us thought we were invincible and Bowyer was king.
    So in the immortal words of Russell Slade, we need to be "patient" (rolls eyes) ..... and even Bowyer himself has said that recently.

But being "patient" doesn't mean we have to put up with watching dross and tactical naivity .... I know we've got injuries to key players and need to compensate, but come on Bows, we need to be more positive and without taking undue risk, there are times when we're better served playing on the front foot.

And that can mean there are going to be games to hit teams hard, rather than hoping to snatch a goal and sit too deep for the last half hour.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think this is a tricky problem to resolve. Bowyer is still a relatively new manager and he’s goigto make mistakes. What he needs is someone he respects and trusts to point that out to him. I don’t think there’s anyone at the club who fits that bill. 

You don’t want the owner getting involved in this, and he’s no more of a football expert than we are. Ged Roddy isn’t a tactician. He’s an organization and development person, and Steve Gallen is scouting/recruitment. Both very experienced, both good at their jobs, but I doubt they would be the right people to address this. 

Johnnie Jackson is closest, but he works for Lee, and has about the same experience level. 

That’s how Curbs gets into these conversation, but Bowyer may see him as more of a threat, the manager in waiting. And managers are not necessarily the best people when it comes to taking other peoples advice. He needs to find someone he trusts. Maybe that’s the best advice the owner can give him. 
    Bring in Sir Lennie.

He lives local and will not be a threat to Bowyer's job.  It could work very well.
  • Options
    These threads need to stop when we lose. Being honest though if you want Bowyer gone I have the feeling if we don't go up this season Sandgaard will let him go anyway so bit of a win/win for the minority in the out camp. 

I don't want Bowyer gone, he is tactically naive though and needs to learn. Got no real issue if we lose when it's due to things like teams having better players, crazy goals, the odd off days but I haven't watched one game this season where we have looked consistent through two halves, other than two consistent poor halves. He is starting us very negative in a lot of these games and making sides like (no disrespect) Shrewsbury, Burton, MK Dons & Swindon look like decent sides and it is very concerning. 

I feel like he still doesn't know his best XI, he uses a formation that doesnt cater to a diamond cause we don't have the midfielders on the level of what we had 1 & 2 seasons ago. I mainly want Bowyer to stay cause I like how he speaks, I feel a connection to him as our manager and he has shown us some dedication. I'll be honest though I can't lack the low quality of football on display, genuinely fell asleep today watching the game. 

I'll say this much, the team who are top right now we turn over every time we play them yet they have a very negative manager who their fans have wanted out for some time and he isn't exactly known for flashy football. What a terrible league 
    I don’t think these threads start just because we drop points, I thinks the fact that we keep dropping points in injury time is the cause. 16 last season and 4 in the last twos way games.

I would always expect to concede 1 or 2 over a course of a season by 8? Just one of those being avoided would have kept us up!

it’s frustrating that after 70 ministers when Maddison went off for purrington, everyone knew what the final outcome would be except bowyer! That’s the worry
    I get that but it just feels really distasteful is all. If we win a few playing the same style do the threads happen? I would say no

I don't think people are wrong, I just think a manager who has won us promotion and always kept us competitive deserves more than threads calling or suggesting he should be sacked.

As I've said on the post match though I do feel conflicted, his comments are bizarre 
    i get what you are saying and loyalty through a bad patch is to be admired but how long does his bad patch go on for and how long can our loyalty go on for? the things you mention that he is naive in are pretty much the core things that the job entails - setting the team up and then making changes as the game plays out - the other main one's, i would say, are being able to coach a player to be better and being able to spot a player, but if you keep getting the first two wrong, you cannot claim to be a good football manager and the loyalty turns into blind faith - i've tipped past the loyalty thing now since the mess he made of trying to stay up and the negative crap this season. I think on a football forum, this is an entirely reasonable thing to be discussing and i'd be very surprised if Ts hasn't been considering the options. Bring curbs in as part of his coaching staff may be the only other option. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    As people have said, we are still well placed for promotion. Bowyer needs to take some credit for that. But his negative tactics risk scuppering it and my preference is somebody forcing him to be more positive rather than sacking him. The best placed person to do that is Sandgaard.

The positive Bowyer who took over is just not the same person. The one who told us we would make the play offs even when we didn't believe it. The one we have now finds a negative in virtually everything. Just look at the difference in his press conferences from before the start of last year and now. It is a problem that shouldn't be ignored.
  • Options

Bring in Sir Lennie.

He lives local and will not be a threat to Bowyer's job.  It could work very well.
    He’s worked at your second team Crystal Palace - damaged goods now. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Still in Credit. He is pissing people off with his antics over the last few weeks. But ultimately he carries the can like any other manager. He’s sackable just like the other 91 managers. Don’t think any drastic action is needed. 
  • Options
    These threads need to stop when we lose. Being honest though if you want Bowyer gone I have the feeling if we don't go up this season Sandgaard will let him go anyway so bit of a win/win for the minority in the out camp. 

I don't want Bowyer gone, he is tactically naive though and needs to learn. Got no real issue if we lose when it's due to things like teams having better players, crazy goals, the odd off days but I haven't watched one game this season where we have looked consistent through two halves, other than two consistent poor halves. He is starting us very negative in a lot of these games and making sides like (no disrespect) Shrewsbury, Burton, MK Dons & Swindon look like decent sides and it is very concerning. 

I feel like he still doesn't know his best XI, he uses a formation that doesnt cater to a diamond cause we don't have the midfielders on the level of what we had 1 & 2 seasons ago. I mainly want Bowyer to stay cause I like how he speaks, I feel a connection to him as our manager and he has shown us some dedication. I'll be honest though I can't lack the low quality of football on display, genuinely fell asleep today watching the game. 

I'll say this much, the team who are top right now we turn over every time we play them yet they have a very negative manager who their fans have wanted out for some time and he isn't exactly known for flashy football. What a terrible league 
    We didn’t lose yesterday though...
  • Options

I don’t think these threads start just because we drop points, I thinks the fact that we keep dropping points in injury time is the cause. 16 last season and 4 in the last twos way games.

I would always expect to concede 1 or 2 over a course of a season by 8? Just one of those being avoided would have kept us up!

it’s frustrating that after 70 ministers when Maddison went off for purrington, everyone knew what the final outcome would be except bowyer! That’s the worry
    We all make mistakes. 70 ministers 😂 

After the disruption of the last few years we need to grow again as a club, and keeping a manager that gets us is important. Bows will sort it out given time, and we should give him that time. Both he and we deserve that. We will get there, together.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Derek1952 said:
    Its about time this site had spellchecker.
    How about reading over what you’ve written before sending it? I don’t get people who blame their mistakes on spell check. Do they type with their eyes closed and then hit send?
    Agred.
    Lern to spel you k***.
  • Options
    Howe was in line for the Spurs job before they moved so quick on Jose. No chance of him coming here.