Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbs?

Comments

• Options
    Don’t know if I’ve missed this before, but just read an article on The Athletic confirming that Curbs was interviewed for the Liverpool job before they gave it to Rafa Benitez. Istanbul could have been his
    I know he was interviewed for the Villa job before Houllier got it but never heard that,  June 2004 Rafa took over them , their loss our gain 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I thought the strength of Curbs was that every season he improved the team. He was ruthless when he had to be and he could spot where a player would improve a position. He did this every season until 2003/4 when he probably took as far us as it was possible. Then he did well keeping us in a tough league at a decent level.

I'm not sure it would be a positive step making him a manager again. But certainly a DOF role where he can guide a younger manager and impart his wisdom would be perfect. Maybe Bowyer would benefit from listening to him. I think if you are losing the plot, it is the right time to use experienced people like Curbs to help you get back on track.
  • Options
    Curbs real strength was being able to get the team back to basics after a poor run. We were pretty much always punching above our weight early in the Championship days and certainly in the Premier League. At present I’d say with our squad we’re under performing. Bowyer has been unlucky with injuries yet again but I’d like to see him bring in a defensive coach. We need some lock outs again. I’m  still fully in support of him and failure to get us promoted this season would in my view be forgivable. I don’t think Lee will get any longer than next season to get things right.
    Some of our fans would go ape if Curbs was manager. Maatsen in front of Purrington, Mathews in front of Gunter. If we had CH’s, Pratley holding. 
  • Options
    Funny how all these characters are showing up at the club now we have a rich owner. I fully expect to see Paul Walsh and Danny Mills show up next saying what a great club WE are.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Funny how all these characters are showing up at the club now we have a rich owner. I fully expect to see Paul Walsh and Danny Mills show up next saying what a great club WE are.
    Curbs has been at games throughout the shit show .
    He’s a Charlton man and like Minto has been asked and paid to do a job and I’m sure most of us are glad for his insight and thoughts.
    Your implied tone is disrespectful to a legend of our club , apologies if I’ve misread you .
    No Curbs is a legend but expect to see a few others sniffing around. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    ct_addick said:
    Curbs has been at games throughout the shit show .
    He’s a Charlton man and like Minto has been asked and paid to do a job and I’m sure most of us are glad for his insight and thoughts.
    Your implied tone is disrespectful to a legend of our club , apologies if I’ve misread you .
    No Curbs is a legend but expect to see a few others sniffing around. 

TS is no mug.

The apparent Charlton name tag con artists know they wouldn't be able to con him for a random club kiss ass pay day.

To be honest I doubt anyone would have the time on their hands in order to be able to attempt bits like this.

Just wouldn't happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2020
    How much of a threat would Bows feel if Curbs was appointed DOF.

Ideally none, however Bowyer can come across as stubborn and wanting to do everything his way, as a way of putting his authority across and may feel undermined?
  • Options

Ideally none, however Bowyer can come across as stubborn and wanting to do everything his way, as a way of putting his authority across and may feel undermined?
    Can't see Curbs coming in when we already have Gallen as our DOF and Roddy as Technical Director.
  • Options
    If we must ask the question then it has to be 'no' for me.
    Eddie Howe is the only other manager I would want.
    If people think that is over ambitious then I disagree. I think TS could persuade him, and he would relish the challenge. Ultimately it often boils down to the salary.
    Eddie Howe would not step down to the 3rd division, nobody would when they do not have to.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Can't see Curbs coming in when we already have Gallen as our DOF and Roddy as Technical Director.
    I think Gallens title would be more effectively Recruitment and what does Technical Director actually mean?

I can’t see either Gallen or Roddy being involved with team selection, formations or tactics, I could be wrong.

Nor, as far as I’m aware have either been managers in the way Curbs has?
  • Options
    Now is the time!
  • Options
    I really don’t think Curbs is the answer. 
  • Options
    I think I would give the job on a caretaker basis to JJ, make Euell his assistant and give Curbs a helping hand roll. Then review at the end of the season.
  • Options
    Lord Llewellyn gave Bowyer his start in Pro football .. who knows how much respect Bowyer retains for Curbs .. IF anyone can get Bowyer to listen to a bit of real football know how and savvy, then let's hope that Lord L is that man
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curbs already confirmed in his pre-match discussion with Minto that Bowyer didn't listen to his advice.
  • Options
    Curbs already confirmed in his pre-match discussion with Minto that Bowyer didn't listen to his advice.
    I missed that .. worrying that 'private' conversations are made public .. that really undermines Bowyer .. could be that Lord L is well set to take over as manager/director of football
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    He said he had a conversation with Bowyer advising him that the passing from the back tactics won't work on many League One pitches. Minto asked how that went and Curbs referred to the Burton game. 
  • Options
    In Bowyer's defence, it's difficult to switch to a long ball game when the man responsible for holding up play would be Bogle. 
  • Options
    Curbs already on the payroll doing the valley live stuff, being retroduced back into the Charlton community and saying 'we' all the time...it's gonna happen!
  • Options
    Curbs already on the payroll doing the valley live stuff, being retroduced back into the Charlton community and saying 'we' all the time...it's gonna happen!
    I do hope not.