Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbs?

Comments

• Options
    Chris Powell with Curbs doing the ‘peacock’ role as he did for him? any takers? 
  • Options
    I think the argument for keeping Bowyer is Thomas doesn't need to make rash decisions on something as important as the manager's job. That is why I think a caretaker manager would be the best bet. Bowyer himself was a caretaker and did well with it.

I think he has lost the plot. I am genuinely saddened by it, but Curbs himself said that his team improved when he became less loyal. Sadly it is important not to let loyalty cloud your judgement in football. That is how you have somebody like Hodgson failing in three major tournaments for England.
  • Options
    I don’t see the point in making him Director of Football. Either bring him back as manager or not at all.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Do you think Powell would need Curbs? I don’t.

I also don’t think we need to even think about it.

We are on a new journey that will not start properly until next summer. Bows is a young manager who has done extremely well with bugger all. We need stability and togetherness. If we were all back at the Valley and following the team on their travels it would make such a difference. Next year hopefully we will all be back.

We have cobbled a team together without being able to look at character, ability, or suitability for the future. We have only had a new owner for a couple of weeks. Let’s look a bit more long term.
  • Options
    Personally I think Powell and Curbs should not really take over as manager, though both or either could help an new inexperienced one in an advisory capacity. I'd be for Bowyer staying on if somebody could get some sense into him but I think this is futile.

The tactics have been crazy recently and there is absolutely no sign of it sinking in. Somebody like Euell or JJ are close enough to the team/squad to hit the ground running and I am confident they will not play the crazy, ridiculous tactics that Bowyer is employing. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    No absolutely not.
  • Options
    I thought bowyers reaction was a bit strange towards Watson when he was off the pitch following injury. Something doesn’t seem right in the camp at present IMO
  • Options
    cafc_will said:
    I thought bowyers reaction was a bit strange towards Watson when he was off the pitch following injury. Something doesn’t seem right in the camp at present IMO
    What was his reaction?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    cafc_will said:
    What was his reaction?
    I got the impression Watson wanted to try and continue and Bowyer was telling him in no uncertain terms that he was being subbed, but that's just one interpretation
  • Options
    I do think togetherness is an issue. Probably a symptoms of having to put the squad together so late and after everyone else has had their go. 

There was a moment near the end when we had conceded a free kick and there was mass confusion and seemingly an argument about how many should be in the wall and who should stand where.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do think togetherness is an issue. Probably a symptoms of having to put the squad together so late and after everyone else has had their go. 

There was a moment near the end when we had conceded a free kick and there was mass confusion and seemingly an argument about how many should be in the wall and who should stand where.
    Its a brand new squad & Curbs has lost a lot of key players. Maybe some of the new players would not necessarily be the characters for the dressing room he would have picked. Add in impacts from Covid19 & restriction of activities that build squad cohesion. 

Lee Bowyer does not appear to have a grip of this squad in terms of discipline or belief in tactics. Maybe 🤔 this accounts for some of the strange team set up last couple of months. Bows is trying to prove his authority. Not playing people in their natural positions is not helping though. Transfer window is going to be interesting to see who moves on. 

Curbs would be back to basics & would ensure that in a crunch game that the team would be difficult to beat. 

I really hope Lee Bowyer can get things back on track. 
  • Options
    I think I would give the job on a caretaker basis to JJ, make Euell his assistant and give Curbs a helping hand roll. Then review at the end of the season.
    Or keep bowyer and help him.

ive said previously that knobinson had bowyer and jj. Bowyer has jj. Give him an experienced coach and see how he goes.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    No. What can Powell offer over bowyer?  How have Powell’s managerial jobs panned out since he left us. If Powell is so good, why hasn’t he got another job?

Maybe get Powell in as first team coach to help bowyer.
  • Options
    Isn't Powell high up in Spurs academy? Unsure he'd want to even leave that. 
  • Options
    Powell became ultra cautious but was never as bad as Bowyer is now. I don't think it would be a positive step, although a future DOF role might work well for him. I still put the team he built on Jenkinson's transfer fee one of the greatest achievements of any Charlton manager.

Overall, nobody can touch Curbs, but Bowyer is just below Powell's achievement for our promotion whilst it is more enjoyable for a fan to go up like we did at Wembley.
  • Options
     People on other threads are saying the likes of Pulis Allardyce Bruce Pardew are dinosaurs and their time has passed. 

Why would curbs be any different?

• Options
    In Bowyer's defence, it's difficult to switch to a long ball game when the man responsible for holding up play would be Bogle. 
    How do you know that..it could well suit his play. You would still need a midfield that could get out of it's own half though I 😂😂😂
    Because Bogle didnt exactly do a great job holding the ball up yesterday

He either lost his header or he tried to do one too many tricks when he had options both left and right
  • Options
    In Bowyer's defence, it's difficult to switch to a long ball game when the man responsible for holding up play would be Bogle. 
    How do you know that..it could well suit his play. You would still need a midfield that could get out of it's own half though I 😂😂😂

He either lost his header or he tried to do one too many tricks when he had options both left and right
    And when he did have the ball at his feet, he generally found a player wearing black and gold or put the ball so far behind his man that the attacking emphasis had gone
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    An honest analysis of Bogle's performance from yesterday is that he missed a decent chance with an air shot and did not have one positive touch for the whole of the first half. I don't really want to have a debate about his ability as I am not his greatest fan, but he is not as bad as yesterday. What we saw was a player who has had his confidence destroyed.

Bowyer has come out and basically said Hull have better players than us post match. Complete bollocks and that has really got my goat. They have been losing to lesser teams than us recently. This bloke needs to get a bit of self realisation about the damage he is doing. It is like he has a self destruct button that he pushed at the start of the year!

BTW, we saw evidence of that button when he was a player!
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    MrOneLung said:
     People on other threads are saying the likes of Pulis Allardyce Bruce Pardew are dinosaurs and their time has passed. 

That's a vague statement though. Ancelotti is around the same age as those but just because he had the oppurtunity to manage a team with top players and was successful with them he is seen as a top manager.. 

As if those others couldn't do a similar job with a top club if given the chance.

If managers are so influential why don't the likes of Guradiola , Moruinho and Klopp go and manage a team like Palace or Brighton? Because they lack the top players that are required for a team to win trophies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    MrOneLung said:

The above cnuts have managed a lot over the last dozen years , unlike Curbs , who if he did want to come back would be ten times hungrier than them cnuts .

edit : and he’s better

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    No. What can Powell offer over bowyer?  How have Powell’s managerial jobs panned out since he left us. If Powell is so good, why hasn’t he got another job?

Maybe get Powell in as first team coach to help bowyer.
    he assembled a side that romped to the league 1 title and is a charlton man?
  • Options
    Curbs already on the payroll doing the valley live stuff, being retroduced back into the Charlton community and saying 'we' all the time...it's gonna happen!
    Or he’s more than happy getting paid for a non-stressful role each game. 

Him and Minto work really well together on this new and improved VP. Happy for that to continue. 
    I get where your coming from Stoneroses, but watching Charlton is pretty stressful, paid or not!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Because he's OUR dinosaur.
  • Options
    I still love SCP and hold out hope that he will come back to the club in some capacity in the future.

Not sure that installing him as a manager could be justified, however, given his record.  Same with Curbs; love the man and want him involved in the club, but not as manager.

Notwithstanding anything else, I don't think that a forward-thinking fella like TS would favour replaying past glories either.  I think that he would want to find a new way forward, if and when the time comes.
  • Options

Options right and left ? What about centre ? He and Washington had no options really.  Still I admire creative thinking. 
    Bogle had the option to blast the ball into the next from 6 yards out, he didn’t even make contact with the ball

bogle had the option to pass to a red shirt, he kept finding the gold and black shirts. He was complete and utter dog shite yesterday. Can’t you see that?

davison would not have done any worse!
  • Options
    He is very happy that he has a stand named after him and sits there every week! 
    Legend and master stroke by Thomas ! 
  • Options
    Would still love to see Curbs involved in some official capacity.