Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty - Signed for Luton for an undisclosed fee (p16)

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Use the fee to buy Baah. He looks a better prospect than Doughty!
    Against a bloke who had no right to be right back! 

Sage for me I feel like Aneke and likely Schwartz both have to start. Do you think Doughty and Millar would work as traditional wingers in a flat 4-4-2 or is that a little too old school. 
    Don't they both play on the left?
    I believethey are both left footed, but have also played on the right wing. Which is not uncommon for wingers. 
    Millar's right footed isn't he? He liked to cut in from the left and shoot with his right.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Sage for me I feel like Aneke and likely Schwartz both have to start. Do you think Doughty and Millar would work as traditional wingers in a flat 4-4-2 or is that a little too old school. 
    I believethey are both left footed, but have also played on the right wing. Which is not uncommon for wingers. 
    Millar's right footed isn't he? He liked to cut in from the left and shoot with his right.
    Do you know I can't find what footed he is, though I did see he likes to play the number 9 role - so I forgive Bowyer for starting him there yesterday. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Do you know I can't find what footed he is, though I did see he likes to play the number 9 role - so I forgive Bowyer for starting him there yesterday. 
    Seems to be comfortable with both.
  • Options
    I am not thinking about this season, but he is 17. Scored a great goal against Wigan a few weeks ago.
    Really good prospect. Unfortunately, we have zero chance of getting him. Plenty of Championship clubs circling 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

This maybe suggests he won't be going to Stoke?
    I don’t understand. Stoke need a winger, Doughty is injured and they have to loan him back to us as part of any deal. They still need a winger until the end of the season so they loan one.
    Sorry, forgot about the loan back bit.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I didn’t see the issue with Millar up front, like Smyth he’s probably spent a fair bit of time in both roles. Some players are comfortable in more the one position, though those two look to me like they’re both more effective out wide.
  • Options
    @FishCostaFortune I would love to see Aneke and Schwartz start together often. Would be fantastic.

No I don't think seeing Doughty and Millar either side of them would be much of a problem. Doughty we know can defend well enough.

Bowyer had been playing Doughty on the right of a front 3 a lot of the time anyway. Hence the 3 of Doughty Schwartz Millar with Aneke coming off the bench.

But no, I would love to see that front 2 starting together regularly.

The other aspect is that we could start one of Doughty or Millar and bring on the other one for them during the game. We don't lose any pace and it's just as good really. That's the bonus of having Doughty coming back on loan, even if it is for the last third of the season that he manages to play.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Sage said:
    @FishCostaFortune I would love to see Aneke and Schwartz start together often. Would be fantastic.

No I don't think seeing Doughty and Millar either side of them would be much of a problem. Doughty we know can defend well enough.

Bowyer had been playing Doughty on the right of a front 3 a lot of the time anyway. Hence the 3 of Doughty Schwartz Millar with Aneke coming off the bench.

The other aspect is that we could start one of Doughty or Millar and bring on the other one for them during the game. We don't lose any pace and it's just as good really. That's the bonus of having Doughty coming back on loan, even if it is for the last third of the season that he manages to play.
    Thanks for your response mate. Yes indeed, plenty of exciting options moving forwards I feel (injury dependent of course).

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doughty on one wing and Millar on the other in a 4-4-2 would be fine. Both have the pace to recover and hopefully the stamina to keep it up for 90 mins. You would think the combined threat from them plus two good strikers, would keep the opposition pinned back for long periods. The defensive side of Doughty's game is ok....he played a few games at left-back and looked ok. 
  • Options
    Sage said:

Such an exciting possibility for the end of the season to have an attack consisting of Aneke, Schwartz, Millar and Doughty. 
  • Options
    Sage said:

Such an exciting possibility for the end of the season to have an attack consisting of Aneke, Schwartz, Millar and Doughty. 
    Agree. Stick JFC or Morgan in the middle with Pratley and keep it simple. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Looked lost against a proper full back and was taken off. Is there anything about Charlton you like?

What a ridiculous statement. I rate a lot of Charlton players and have regularly said so, but when you see a promising opponent, you are seeing them in the context of what they could do for Charlton. Unless you think we are so strong we don't need to bring in any good players.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Looked lost against a proper full back and was taken off. Is there anything about Charlton you like?

Or a 17 year tired and wasn’t as effective - that’s not a surprise, but looks like the potential is there. With the right attitude you’d expect a player that young to get fitter, stronger and improve other areas of his game.
  • Options
    No chance of us trying to sign Baah btw, he'll go to a club a lot higher up than us
  • Options
    How does open up another loan? Just means we will loan someone else.
  • Options
    Must be a bit of a nervous time for Stoke. I guess they're getting him for hardly anything, but hearing that the player you want whose primary asset is pace has a worse hamstring injury than you thought isn't ideal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    How does open up another loan? Just means we will loan someone else.
    It opens up a loan spot to be able to loan someone else :) 
  • Options
    "Its not the lads choice...he wanted to come back...."

Maybe TS's choice....?  Get someone in now who can play half the season & maybe we could sign in the summer, rather than a player who plays the last 6 weeks & is then gone.
    Think it's probably Bowyer/Gallens myself - they won't want him to come back and take up wages/spaces if we'll get like 4 games out of him at half fitness at the end of the season. Just carrying dead weight then aren't we, and adds another job to the physio teams workload unnecessarily. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    The idea that we were going to fill one of our loan slots with a player who is out with a long term injury! With our injury record. Who's clever idea was that? At last sense has prevailed. 
  • Options
    He doesnt take up wages as he's under 21.  
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    He doesnt take up wages as he's under 21.  
    No but if he comes back then he's taking up a loan slot
  • Options
    great deal for everyone erm err ok