Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

E-Scooters

Comments

• Options
    Me and my sister got scooters together, not an electric ones, so probably a little safer than the electric versions. And I always rode mine on the pavement. They were a bit of fun but not as practical as a bike, and when I went to junior school it was no longer cool to be seen on a kids toy. 

Adults on scooters what sight. 

• Options
    CatAddick said:
    Not as bloody annoying as these

https://eriderbikes.com/electric-bikes/model-21-electric-bike/

My son had a 16yo on one of these ride into the back of his car and crack the bumper in Eltham.  Legal to ride on road at 14, no licence required, no insurance required, on the website they even promote the fact that you can't be breathalysed if you ride one....
    Bet the owner of one of these feels invincible and above the law reading that website!

• Anyone 14 years or older can ride the E RIDER Model 21 on the road
    • Younger riders may use the Model 21 off road
    • The E RIDER Model 21 is not subject to Vehicle Excise Duty
    • A driving licence is not required to operate the bike
    • The E RIDER Model 21 does not require an MOT
    • Insurance is not legally required
      • The E RIDER Model 21 does not need to be registered with the DVLA
      • It may be used in bus lanes and on cycle paths
      • A helmet is not legally required
      • It is not liable to parking fines or congestion charges
      • The operator of an E RIDER Model 21 is not required to provide a breath or blood sample
    Could've saved themselves writing all that and instead just said "you can do anything you fucking well like"
  • Options
    Managed to help stop a fella riding away after hitting a young girl in Peckham last week. He wasn't going that fast, but the scooter was so heavy it broke her ankle. Ambulance crew brilliant, police failed to show up despite Peckham nick being just a 5 minute walk away. Luckily the fella was persuaded to give his details which were passed on to the police. Fingers crossed they take action.
    That's good, one of my colleagues got hit by some little prick outside King's Hospital in Denmark Hill crossing the road from our hospital. The tosser was on the wrong side of the road and sped off when she was on the floor. Turns out she broke her wrist.

It gives me some crumbs of comfort that the person who did it is clearly so brain dead in control, hopefully they have been handed justice by a 176 bus. 
  • Options
    I have seen them being used very sensibly in Zurich. But the Swiss are very sensible. Seemed to work well - agree with NM on the benefit there could be. Shame they are used here like I saw them being used in Zurich.

I wasn't entirely sure what was allowed now - so checked it out here https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/e-scooters-allowed-on-roads-from-saturday/
  • Options
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9159383/Drink-driving-e-scooter-rider-20-banned-roads-two-years.html

Woman banned from driving after nearly crashing into a police car whilst drunk on an e-scooter
  • Options
    I ride an E Scooter in Vietnam made by a local company called Vinfast. Personally if used sensibly I think they are great. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    As I was about to walk out of the Cemetery Lane exit of Charlton Park this afternoon a guy on an e scooter went past on the footpath at high speed. Complete idiot.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I have I have thought about starting to walk with a walking stick or cane precisely so I can knock people off e-scooters with it.

It must be about time walking canes came back into fashion as an affectation for those that do not need the support for walking?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I see E-Scooters as a good alternative to public transports, lately I've seen many idiots ruining it for others. Many kids near me own them (Parents buying them?) who take no care when riding through the pedestrian area in town. I myself nearly got run down by a grown man riding one early one morning, wasn't even busy so it doesn't make any sense. He must just be a knob.
    They are definitely dangerous in the wrong hands, like anything really. Unfortunately I fear these idiots will stop them becoming legal and therefore having the ability to get insurance.
  • Options
    Ban the twit from having a dog.
  • Options
    Like most of the comments on here, I think they’re a vehicle for the yout to ride carelessly around on.  I’ve seen some pelt through red lights at about 20mph on 4 way crossings, a few picked up by the police because they are more than likely drug dealers and the majority show very little care for safety at all.  Waste of time in this country imo based on the type of person to use them
  • Options
    I have I have thought about starting to walk with a walking stick or cane precisely so I can knock people off e-scooters with it.

It must be about time walking canes came back into fashion as an affectation for those that do not need the support for walking?
    Preferably one that conceals a sword.
  • Options
    I was talking to one of my mates about these, my next door neighbour sells them and my mate was asking me to have a word blah blah. Anyways, I go back to my pal and tell him not to waste his money as they are illegal apart from on your own drive essentially. He comes back to me "no they ain't lol" so I've given him my neighbours number and told him to crack on
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Preferably one that conceals a sword.
    Out of interest I had a look online and this one looks up for the job.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/808896154/walking-stick-with-24cr-gold-plated-head?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=sword+canes&ref=sr_gallery-1-5&pro=1&frs=1
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Nearly had a coming together last year with a guy on his 30s who hurtled around a corner on the pavement on one of those things while I was exercising 3 dogs. Fortunately for him its a corner we approach with caution having met a few dogs coming the same direction so we slow down, but he was going so fast he had two choices hit my dogs or take his chances and go straight into the road which is what he did hitting a car sitting in a queue waiting to turn right. Fortunately the whole incident was caught on car camera as well as my body worn camera after he suggested my dogs lunged at him which made him go into the road, the police viewed my footage as well as the car cam and charged him with something or other. Interesting that two witness statements verified my dogs are well behaved and work locally although they didn't know me at all.  :smiley:
    What a touch it was caught on camera. Unfortunately they will leave some people with hundreds of pounds worth of damage as they weave in and out of vehicles on the road and then scoot off.
  • Options
    I used these in San Francisco when I was working there and used the Lime scooters to go to my office. San Fran is set up for these with bike lanes etc..I am in my 50's and they were a lot of fun but can see safety issues with people not knowing what they are doing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some twat coming down shooters hill Welling bound about 6pm, pitch black, no helmet, no lights, and holding up traffic behind at 20mph as he was in middle of the road.

• Options

SINGAPORE - Mandatory theory tests for e-scooter and electric bicycle riders will begin from the middle of this year, Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Transport Baey Yam Keng said on Friday (March 5).

This will ensure all riders of such motorised devices know the prevailing rules and codes of conduct, he said during the debate on his ministry's budget.

In another move to improve safety, Mr Baey said all bicycles used on public paths and roads will also be required to have at least one functioning handbrake, with effect from September.

• Options
    Even if you want one I would advise you to wait. They are going to be legalised sooner or later and when they are they will be subject to all sorts of rules and restrictions re lights etc. No point buying one now and having to either buy a new one or spend loads of money to retrofit it to meet the requirements. Just wait and buy one in line with the rules.
  • Options
    I nearly ran someone over on one earlier. I'd have got him as well had he not mounted the pavement. I was then hoping a decent member of the public was going to clothesline the tool off of it.
  • Options
    So, it’s 6:30 and I’m heading down Sandy Lane in Foots Cray. Hardly any street lights, no payments and what am I confronted by ... some Pratt on an e-scooter, no lights, on his phone and he’s dressed in black. How the F**k I missed him, only god knows. I’m still shaking ..
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    So, it’s 6:30 and I’m heading down Sandy Lane in Foots Cray. Hardly any street lights, no payments and what am I confronted by ... some Pratt on an e-scooter, no lights, on his phone and he’s dressed in black. How the F**k I missed him, only god knows. I’m still shaking ..
    Try Monday evening at the same time. You may get him yet. 😉
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Surprised he didnt go full bellend and have earphones on too.
  • Options
    Lots of towns & cities now have these scooters for hire. They're just parked up randomly all over the place. I assume you pay by card and off you go. I drive through Northampton town everyday and there are hundreds of these buzzing around. I feel it's just a matter of time before one goes straight under my truck and no doubt the "big nasty lorry" will be at fault. And as they're rentals, I can't imagine them being worried about the police confiscating it from them. It's gonna be interesting in the summer if everyone is allowed out..............
  • Options
    Lots of towns & cities now have these scooters for hire. They're just parked up randomly all over the place. I assume you pay by card and off you go. I drive through Northampton town everyday and there are hundreds of these buzzing around. I feel it's just a matter of time before one goes straight under my truck and no doubt the "big nasty lorry" will be at fault. And as they're rentals, I can't imagine them being worried about the police confiscating it from them. It's gonna be interesting in the summer if everyone is allowed out..............
    In High Wycombe there is a scheme where you can hire one for travel around the town centre. They are not powerful enough to climb the hills around the town.

The illegal e-scooters appear to have been chipped so that they run faster. I have even seen a guy riding one with a seat.
  • Options
    London is the latest UK city to trial e-scooters - which the government hopes will be a more environmentally-friendly way to travel.

E-scooters are available to rent in four boroughs to start with:

• Ealing
    • Hammersmith and Fulham
    • Kensington and Chelsea
    • Richmond upon Thames

Scooters can also be hired in Canary Wharf and ridden through the borough of Tower Hamlets. The City of London is due to join in July.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617