Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    Mr Tweets putting the lie to the notion that an exciting new bowling discovery has to be an out and out quick. The obsession with pace was always overdone 
  • Options
    I think we're a bit obsessed with pace as it's an away Ashes soon.

Which does make you wonder again why both Curran and Overton are playing rather than one of them and Mahmood.
  • Options
    I think we're a bit obsessed with pace as it's an away Ashes soon.

Which does make you wonder again why both Curran and Overton are playing rather than one of them and Mahmood.
    What was Glenn McGrath's bowling average in Australia? 
  • Options
    That said, Mahmood should be playing ahead of Curran, I quite agree 
  • Options
    England on a roll. The middle order gone, hopefully the intensity won't drop off when Curran comes on
  • Options
    The Indian version of Calypso Collapso
  • Options
    Pant regressing to the mean a bit 
  • Options
    There will never be another Jimmy Anderson/Chris Broad combo, but this fella Robinson looks like he may be around for a long while and become something of a legend for England.
    True it’s early days, but he just looks the part in so many ways.👍
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Kettleborough is a fucking disaster zone
    As I was saying 
  • Options
    I like Curran, I think he's a smart little player, but he shouldn't be in the Test team at the moment.
    Agree…..a few too many loose deliveries at present.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There will never be another Jimmy Anderson/Chris Broad combo, but this fella Robinson looks like he may be around for a long while and become something of a legend for England.
    I know Anderson is old... ;)
  • Options
    As long as its within the legal boundaries - get Bumrah and Siraj in and absolutely go for them. This time I am fairly confident England are winning this before I leave for the Valley so really rub salt in the wounds and make them as uncomfortable as they made Jimmy. Especially Siraj who is exactly the type of character I dislike - gives it all the big'un when India are on top, then when the crowd heckle him with India on the back foot its apparently a huge issue and needs reporting. 
  • Options
    As long as its within the legal boundaries - get Bumrah and Siraj in and absolutely go for them. This time I am fairly confident England are winning this before I leave for the Valley so really rub salt in the wounds and make them as uncomfortable as they made Jimmy. Especially Siraj who is exactly the type of character I dislike - gives it all the big'un when India are on top, then when the crowd heckle him with India on the back foot its apparently a huge issue and needs reporting. 
    Whatever happened to taking the moral high ground, or indeed the spirit of cricket? We can't moan about it one Test and then go and do it in the next one. Terrible 
  • Options
    I know Jimmy is old in cricket terms but he never played with Chris.

once Jimmy and broad are both retired, Robinson and woakes is a poor alternative pairing in comparison 
  • Options
    Picked the wrong day ti get tickets for. Decent atmosphere today but was so wishing that Root would clean bowl Virat at the end to make my week. 

Still got charlton tomorrow to make up for it.
    I think you are cursed Canters, it's as if England saved up all the wickets for when you aren't there!
  • Options
    Jimmy Anderson has just taken his 400th Test wicket at home. That's an incredible achievement. Was that mentioned anywhere? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Jimmy Anderson has just taken his 400th Test wicket at home. That's an incredible achievement. Was that mentioned anywhere? 
    TMS mentioned it when it didn't happen (due to the Kohli review!)
  • Options
    215-2 to 278 all out in 9.3 overs.
    Not England or Kent for a change. 🙂
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Seven wickets for Robinson, six for Overton. Really pleased with that. Hopefully a bit of good news for the post-Jimmy era.
  • Options
    Seven wickets for Robinson, six for Overton. Really pleased with that. Hopefully a bit of good news for the post-Jimmy era.
    Indeed. Robinson is a triumph for the county game too, he's not one of the fast tracked youngsters, who had been involved in England squads since he was 21
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Robinson looks so comfortable at Test level too, still to be tested away admittedly but I think he could be a real fixture for a good while.
  • Options
    Robinson is the real deal imho but Overton not anything special. I still wouls likw to see Mamood given a go, although possibly instead of Curran who has been a bit of a waste of space this series. Long term Curran will come back I'm sure
  • Options
    Indeed. Robinson is a triumph for the county game too, he's not one of the fast tracked youngsters, who had been involved in England squads since he was 21
    No but there is a reason why he wasn't fast tracked - he was released by both Kent and Yorkshire due to his enjoyment of the high life. It seems that he's finally grown up. In fact, had he committed as much in his early career to working on his game as opposed to partying he might have got there a lot quicker - especially as his step dad is Paul Farbrace.
  • Options
    Certainly Andrerson and Broad (Stuart!) are best we have had. Have to go back to Truman and Statham to even think of a comparison
  • Options
    No but there is a reason why he wasn't fast tracked - he was released by both Kent and Yorkshire due to his enjoyment of the high life. It seems that he's finally grown up. In fact, had he committed as much in his early career to working on his game as opposed to partying he might have got there a lot quicker - especially as his step dad is Paul Farbrace.
    Yeah, Robinson is where matt coles would’ve been if he had done the same. Read an interview where Robinson admitted he was playing county championship matches on a Friday, driving down to Kent for a night out in the evening and driving back up to Leeds to play the Saturday in the early morning. Mental. 
  • Options
    Yeah, Robinson is where matt coles would’ve been if he had done the same. Read an interview where Robinson admitted he was playing county championship matches on a Friday, driving down to Kent for a night out in the evening and driving back up to Leeds to play the Saturday in the early morning. Mental. 
    Just two years ago he was playing club cricket for Bickley in the Kent League presumably to supplement his income in addition to being at Sussex. His returns did not suggest that he would soon become an important member of our fact bowling cohort:

2019: 17-1-74-5
    2018: 33-5-156-4

That would have been on worse decks to bat on and against vastly inferior batsmen to the likes of Kohli, Rohit, Rahane and Pant
  • Options
    redman said:
    Certainly Andrerson and Broad (Stuart!) are best we have had. Have to go back to Truman and Statham to even think of a comparison

Botham and Willis were pretty good.
  • Options
    redman said:

Anderson + Broad = 1,154 wickets
    Botham + Willis = 707 wickets
    Trueman and Statham = 559 wickets

No pairing will ever get near Anderson and Broad in terms of success over such a sustained period of time
  • Options
    redman said:

Anderson + Broad = 1,154 wickets
    Botham + Willis = 707 wickets
    Trueman and Statham = 559 wickets

No pairing will ever get near Anderson and Broad in terms of success over such a sustained period of time
    Not intending to detract from their achievements in any way but Anderson and Broad have had the opportunity to play in a lot more test matches than Trueman and Statham in particular ever did and even Botham and Willis too.
  • Options
    redman said:
    Someone 's forgotten Craig White and Richard Dawson.