Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    A tale of two keepers. Karthik missed stumping FDP when he was on just 2 and Dhoni has just dropped Iyer before he has scored
  • Options
    I reckon we might be watching Dhoni's final game as a pro cricketer, especially if CSK wins
  • Options
    Well wouldn't you Adam & Eve it! Tom Harrison is one of the guests of honour at the final of the IPL. No doubt a reward for attending the Indian coaches' book signing when members of their back room staff contracted Covid
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    KKR lost by 27 runs. Dhoni in his 300th T20 match as captain wins the IPL with CSK

Morgan was out for 4 off 8 and finished with a total of 133 runs from 16 innings at an average of 11.08 at a strike rate of 95.68. His fielding has been poor too and had he not been captain he would have been dropped a long time ago. Let's hope he doesn't carry that form into the WC but with a gap of just a week to our first match there really isn't much time for him to clear his head.

Moeen Ali scored 357 runs from 15 innings (which demonstrates how much Dhoni and CSK rate him) by comparison at an average of 25.50 and strike rate of 137.30. The first Englishman to win the IPL too.
  • Options
    KKR lost by 27 runs. Dhoni in his 300th T20 match as captain wins the IPL with CSK

Morgan was out for 4 off 8 and finished with a total of 133 runs from 16 innings at an average of 11.08 at a strike rate of 95.68. His fielding has been poor too and had he not been captain he would have been dropped a long time ago. Let's hope he doesn't carry that form into the WC but with a gap of just a week to our first match there really isn't much time for him to clear his head.

Moeen Ali scored 357 runs from 15 innings (which demonstrates how much Dhoni and CSK rate him) by comparison at an average of 25.50 and strike rate of 137.30. The first Englishman to win the IPL too.
    Moeen will have a nice couple of years mixing white ball England cricket and franchise cricket

I've not been paying much attention to the IPL, but noticed Moeen didn't bowl today, has he bowled much in the tournament?
  • Options
    I thought T20 was meant to be a young man's sport, but looking at the winning side you have Dhoni (40), Bravo (38) and Du Plessis (37)!
  • Options

Moeen will have a nice couple of years mixing white ball England cricket and franchise cricket

I've not been paying much attention to the IPL, but noticed Moeen didn't bowl today, has he bowled much in the tournament?
    He bowled all four overs in the qualifier! Dhoni uses him when he sees favourable match-ups, such as lots of left-handers 
  • Options
    Going to start a WC T20 thread as the first matches are on Sunday
  • Options
    Going to start a WC T20 thread as the first matches are on Sunday
    Blimey where’s that come from ! 
  • Options
    Here we go again. More rhetoric from the England camp with a view to them dictating the terms under which they are prepared to tour. This time Stuart Broad is the chosen messenger:

Stuart Broad says it will be no surprise if England players return home early from the Ashes tour this winter - despite a commitment from the full squad to travel next month.

The ECB selected a 17-man party after giving conditional approval to Cricket Australia for the 11-week tour, on the basis that certain aspects in regard to living conditions and quarantine arrangements for players and their families are met. 

However, there is an added potential complication of Covid rules and regulations being altered by individual states after the players have arrived in the country.

And ahead of the five-match series, which begins at the Gabba on December 8, the 35-year-old Broad said: 'It wouldn't surprise me at all if players pull out while we are there. 

'We have seen that on Ashes tours before and for me it has always been more likely that players will pull out if things change in Australia while we are there rather than before we go.'

Marcus Trescothick and Jonathan Trott both quit while on away Ashes trips due to mental health issues and the ECB are mindful of the effects of being asked to spend 14 days quarantining and return to bubble life will have on current players.

Seb says that they are being treated exceptionally well in quarantine - three lovely meals a day and half a dozen calls a day too from various interested parties checking on their mental health including a daily one from the Police. It goes like this:

Police officer: "g'day mate, you OK?"

Seb: "yes thank you"

Police officer: "great, speak to you tomorrow" 

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Seb says that they are being treated exceptionally well in quarantine - three lovely meals a day and half a dozen calls a day too from various interested parties checking on their mental health including a daily one from the Police. It goes like this:

Police officer: "g'day you pommie bastard"

Corrected ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2021
  • Options
    Here we go again. More rhetoric from the England camp with a view to them dictating the terms under which they are prepared to tour. This time Stuart Broad is the chosen messenger:

Stuart Broad says it will be no surprise if England players return home early from the Ashes tour this winter - despite a commitment from the full squad to travel next month.

The ECB selected a 17-man party after giving conditional approval to Cricket Australia for the 11-week tour, on the basis that certain aspects in regard to living conditions and quarantine arrangements for players and their families are met. 

However, there is an added potential complication of Covid rules and regulations being altered by individual states after the players have arrived in the country.

And ahead of the five-match series, which begins at the Gabba on December 8, the 35-year-old Broad said: 'It wouldn't surprise me at all if players pull out while we are there. 

'We have seen that on Ashes tours before and for me it has always been more likely that players will pull out if things change in Australia while we are there rather than before we go.'

Marcus Trescothick and Jonathan Trott both quit while on away Ashes trips due to mental health issues and the ECB are mindful of the effects of being asked to spend 14 days quarantining and return to bubble life will have on current players.

I thought this at the time that the tour was 'announced' as going ahead, this story has got plenty of legs in it, as the Covid situation here in Australia is so complex, and rules/regulations/responses are so different in each state.

I would be astonished if all five tests go off without incident or postponements, which from an English perspective wont be a bad thing, as our batting will never withstand their bowling attack, even with Stokes potentially back in the ranks.
  • Options
    brownbear said:

I thought this at the time that the tour was 'announced' as going ahead, this story has got plenty of legs in it, as the Covid situation here in Australia is so complex, and rules/regulations/responses are so different in each state.

I would be astonished if all five tests go off without incident or postponements, which from an English perspective wont be a bad thing, as our batting will never withstand their bowling attack, even with Stokes potentially back in the ranks.
    I don't disagree with you but money talks. The Australian Government and States I'm sure will bend over backwards and make some exceptions for England to ensure that they don't lose millions. My understanding is that the Australian Prime Minister has already announced that fully vaccinated residents will be able to leave Australia from November and return without the need to quarantine. I suspect that Broad has either off his own back or at the request of the ECB merely sent another shot across the bows by subtlety making it clear that they want to be afforded the same conditions.

And you're right. It's going to be an uphill challenge for us anyway.
  • Options
    Mmmm yes but you have to understand that the political system here is completely different to how it is the UK. The State Premieres here have huge powers to open/shut borders, and all of them of course have elections to think about, which has a massive impact on their decision making. The states that are going to be most tricky to negotiate are QLD, WA and VIC, which are all Labour states, and have been at loggerheads with Scomo since all this started, trust me this one is not going to run smoothly!

• Options
    They’ll deliberately make the england players quarantine repeatedly for as long as possible. The Aussies absolutely love making life as miserable as possible for an England team - it’s why it’s such a tough place for us to tour and why it’s such an achievement when we do win down under.
  • Options
    I know it’s for 2022 but the West Indies tour dates are announced/confirmed.

https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/news/2295393/schedule-confirmed-for-england-mens-tour-of-the-caribbean

Currently changing flights and hotel as we’d booked months ago on a hunch first test would be Barbados. Thankfully the change isn’t costing us the same as a new flight for the similar dates and with the additional
    cost it’s still good value. Hopefully the hotel will be too! 
  • Options
    If you are a cricket fan and you haven't seen cricket in the Caribbean I'd urge you to go 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    If you are a cricket fan and you haven't seen cricket in the Caribbean I'd urge you to go 
    personally thinking of the third test in Grenada. However they currently have 2 days quarantine and a curfew I believe. Suspect will change but stopping me booking atm. 
  • Options
    Some mates & I are planning on going to the first 2 tests for about 8 days on each island. Absolutely cannot wait!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Opener Dom Sibley has withdrawn from the England Lions squad for the tour of Australia this winter.

Last week the 26-year-old was named in the 14-strong squad, which will shadow the main England Ashes party.

But England say "after much thought and consideration" Warwickshire's Sibley has decided to work on his batting at home this winter in a bid to regain a place in the Test team.

Yorkshire batter Harry Brook has been added to the Lions squad.

There are two ways of looking at this. Has Sibley thrown his toys out of the pram because he doesn't have a central contract and knows that the chances of him actually being called up into the main squad are minimal? Or is he genuinely just going back to hitting balls back at home?

The reality is that, out of sight out of mind, makes him even less likely to return to Test cricket. It is also never the same hitting balls delivered from a bowling machine as opposed to being in the middle against proper bowling. That said. I do know that the likes of Anderson, Mahmood and Crawley were training at Loughborough this week so it's possible that Sibley is with them. 

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58993488

Sibley has pulled out of the England Lions squad to work on his batting at home...
  • Options

Opener Dom Sibley has withdrawn from the England Lions squad for the tour of Australia this winter.

Last week the 26-year-old was named in the 14-strong squad, which will shadow the main England Ashes party.

But England say "after much thought and consideration" Warwickshire's Sibley has decided to work on his batting at home this winter in a bid to regain a place in the Test team.

There are two ways of looking at this. Has Sibley thrown his toys out of the pram because he doesn't have a central contract and knows that the chances of him actually being called up into the main squad are minimal? Or is he genuinely just going back to hitting balls back at home?

The reality is that, out of sight out of mind, makes him even less likely to return to Test cricket. It is also never the same hitting balls delivered from a bowling machine as opposed to being in the middle against proper bowling. That said. I do know that the likes of Anderson, Mahmood and Crawley were training at Loughborough this week so it's possible that Sibley is with them. 

i guess you could say, why follow australia's stringent quarantine rules when you're probably not going to get much of a game and have spent a lot of the last 18 months playing in bubbles.
  • Options

i guess you could say, why follow australia's stringent quarantine rules when you're probably not going to get much of a game and have spent a lot of the last 18 months playing in bubbles.
    That's true but those rules are being relaxed and as I say once you take yourself out of the system it makes it that much harder to get back in. I think the reality is that Sibley will probably never play again for England not just because of his technique but because his scoring options are so limited. 
  • Options

That's true but those rules are being relaxed and as I say once you take yourself out of the system it makes it that much harder to get back in. I think the reality is that Sibley will probably never play again for England not just because of his technique but because his scoring options are so limited. 
    Find it difficult to disagree with you. Especially with the re-emergence of hameed and the possibility of crawley coming back into form.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

From the ECB:

Next summer's home schedule for England Men's Internationals has been boosted with the addition of the rearranged fifth LV= Insurance Test Match against India. Read below for key date and venue changes across Test, ODI and IT20 Series.

The fifth match of the LV= Insurance Test Series between England Men and India Men has been rescheduled and will now take place from July 1 2022 at Edgbaston, following an agreement between the ECB and BCCI. With India currently leading 2-1, the series is set for the conclusion it deserves.

Due to the complexities in the schedule, the fixture cannot be staged at Emirates Old Trafford owing to clashes with pre-planned events at the venue, which will leave insufficient time to prepare a Test pitch. However, Emirates Old Trafford will host Test cricket next summer, with the second LV= Insurance Test against South Africa, starting on August 25, 2022, moving to Manchester from Edgbaston.

Whiteball Series Update

India will also return to Emirates Old Trafford next year in a Royal London International on 17 July, while Edgbaston is now set to host India on July 9 in a Vitality IT20. Given the rescheduling of the fifth Test, the Vitality IT20 Series and Royal London Series between England and India will now start six days later than originally planned, with date changes for the IT20s scheduled at the Ageas Bowl and Trent Bridge.

• Options
    This is totally disgraceful by ECB. Having left me high and dry in Manchester this year the;ve now switched the Edgbaston ticket dates. My ticket has been changed to a date I can't make. Luckily my hotel booking is cancellable but I know people who have booked non-cancellable. ECB not fit for pupose. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    /
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    /