Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant news if only for the fact that he will give us that balance to the side meaning we can go in with four seamers and a spinner
  • Options
    Brilliant news if only for the fact that he will give us that balance to the side meaning we can go in with four seamers and a spinner
    Agreed, as every team without Stokes looks really awkward, with too few batsmen or leaving out Leach
  • Options
    So, unless someone pulls out, we've actually been able to pick the strongest Ashes squad we could from those who haven't retired from Test cricket bar Archer.

Any arguments with this being our best starting line up?

Burns
    Hameed
    Malan
    Root
    Pope
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Robinson
    Leach
    Wood
    Anderson

Players left out:

Bairstow
    Bess
    Broad
    Crawley
    Lawrence
    Overton 
    Woakes
  • Options
    I bet Bairstow gets in there though
  • Options
    A massive series for Pope, he's played 20 Tests now, so is at the stage where he has to start delivering consistent runs (and not just at The Oval!)
  • Options
    So, unless someone pulls out, we've actually been able to pick the strongest Ashes squad we could from those who haven't retired from Test cricket bar Archer.

Burns
    Hameed
    Malan
    Root
    Pope
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Robinson
    Leach
    Wood
    Anderson

Players left out:

Bairstow
    Bess
    Broad
    Crawley
    Lawrence
    Overton 
    Woakes
    We are also missing Stone to injury who would have travelled no doubt if fit, in his absence I would have had Garton in the squad or Mahmood. Someone with that difference of pace if Wood breaks down or cant play all the matches (spoiler he cant). Woakes and Broad will need to do plenty of bowling in the series now doubt.

Stokes return is huge, not just for the balance of the side and the quality he brings, but his leadership as vice captain and his persona. He missed the last away ashes due to his ban so will have a point to prove, he also has a test ton Down under. He will take a lot of pressure off Root both as a batsman and leader. Out batting, bowling and crucially slip fielding will be stronger with him there. 

Huge huge result for us.
  • Options

Burns
    Hameed
    Malan
    Root
    Pope
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Robinson
    Leach
    Wood
    Anderson

Players left out:

Bairstow
    Bess
    Broad
    Crawley
    Lawrence
    Overton 
    Woakes
    We are also missing Stone to injury who would have travelled no doubt if fit, in his absence I would have had Garton in the squad or Mahmood. Someone with that difference of pace if Wood breaks down or cant play all the matches (spoiler he cant). Woakes and Broad will need to do plenty of bowling in the series now doubt.

Stokes return is huge, not just for the balance of the side and the quality he brings, but his leadership as vice captain and his persona. He missed the last away ashes due to his ban so will have a point to prove, he also has a test ton Down under. He will take a lot of pressure off Root both as a batsman and leader. Out batting, bowling and crucially slip fielding will be stronger with him there. 

Huge huge result for us.
    Will Stokes be the "official" vice captain? Buttler was originally announced. 
  • Options
    A massive series for Pope, he's played 20 Tests now, so is at the stage where he has to start delivering consistent runs (and not just at The Oval!)
    Absolutely right. He needs to do it on the big stage. I have a feeling he will love playing on the Aussie pitches, the extra bounce letting him rock back and cut and pull.

He has had a few spells in Grade cricket and done excellently. The first one - very soon after his surrey debut while he was still an unknown teenager he was jumped up to the top level of grade cricket very quickly and did so well he ended up getting a mention in the Aus national parliament! They love him there.
  • Options

https://scroll.in/field/889666/when-england-crickets-rising-star-ollie-pope-was-officially-commended-by-an-australian-politician

Such was the Surrey rising star’s impact while playing for the Campbelltown-Camden in Sydney grade cricket, where he scored nearly 1,000 runs, including three hundreds, club vice-president Chris Patterson, a member of the New South Wales parliament, paid formal tribute to Pope in the state legislature in March.

In addition to praising his on-field contribution, Patterson hailed Pope as an “absolute gentleman and a wonderful role model with a strong work ethic”.

Stuart Ayres, the NSW sports minister, responded by saying “it is a rare moment that a New South Wales member of Parliament speaks with such passion about an Englishman”.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

Burns
    Hameed
    Malan
    Root
    Pope
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Robinson
    Leach
    Wood
    Anderson

Players left out:

Bairstow
    Bess
    Broad
    Crawley
    Lawrence
    Overton 
    Woakes

Huge huge result for us.
    Will Stokes be the "official" vice captain? Buttler was originally announced. 
    If he is there he should be. Doesn't matter either way whether its official or not. Ben will lead as he does and Root will consult him as he should.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I know his record isn't special overseas but I don't like not picking Woakes in my 11. He's a wonderful cricketer
  • Options
    I know his record isn't special overseas but I don't like not picking Woakes in my 11. He's a wonderful cricketer
    Broad's omission would also be quite bold.  Isn't it great to have some depth among the seam bowling, at last.  
  • Options
    Having Stokes also gives us some hostility as well. Someone Root can throw the ball to when we need 5 overs of pace and bounce
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Broad's omission would also be quite bold.  Isn't it great to have some depth among the seam bowling, at last.  
    Anderson and Wood are unlikely to play all 5 Tests I'd guess so there will likely need to be some rotation between those two and Broad.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Think Broad will feature, I'd rotate him and Anderson. I hope Wood can do all 5 as the pace is really needed. Still hope Mahmood will get drafted in and is just playing in the BBL to stay sharp
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Think Broad will feature, I'd rotate him and Anderson. I hope Wood can do all 5 as the pace is really needed. Still hope Mahmood will get drafted in and is just playing in the BBL to stay sharp
    Mahmood is in the Lion's squad out in Australia so could easily be called up

I'd love Wood to play all 5 matches, but is that realistic? I imagine he'll be rested for the day/night Test which will probably suit a swing bowler like Woakes more
  • Options
    Yorkshire has been suspended from hosting England matches following the racism allegations made by former player Azeem Rafiq.
    The England and Wales Cricket Board says the ban will last until the club has "clearly demonstrated that it can meet the standards expected".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The question is, with all these sponsors dropping out and no internationals at Headingly. will the ECB help Yorkshire when they get near to administration?
  • Options

The statement on Wednesday evening from Ballance admitting he had racially abused Rafiq during their time at Yorkshire came after his identity had already been published by one newspaper.

In truth, Ballance’s involvement in this sorry episode that has damaged the reputation of English cricket was an open secret to many in the game.

Other names are common knowledge on the circuit too. For example, the former senior Yorkshire player who told Rafiq and three Asian team-mates that included current England spinner Adil Rashid: “There’s too many of you lot, it’s something we need to have a word about.” The man who is believed to have said those words is far more of a household name than Ballance.

Others will inevitably be named and shamed now that Rafiq and senior Yorkshire officials, including chair Roger Hutton, have been called to a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) select committee on 16 November. Those proceedings will be subject to parliamentary privilege, meaning people can be named without fear of legal reprisals. It could get very ugly.

• Options

The statement on Wednesday evening from Ballance admitting he had racially abused Rafiq during their time at Yorkshire came after his identity had already been published by one newspaper.

In truth, Ballance’s involvement in this sorry episode that has damaged the reputation of English cricket was an open secret to many in the game.

Other names are common knowledge on the circuit too. For example, the former senior Yorkshire player who told Rafiq and three Asian team-mates that included current England spinner Adil Rashid: “There’s too many of you lot, it’s something we need to have a word about.” The man who is believed to have said those words is far more of a household name than Ballance.

Others will inevitably be named and shamed now that Rafiq and senior Yorkshire officials, including chair Roger Hutton, have been called to a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) select committee on 16 November. Those proceedings will be subject to parliamentary privilege, meaning people can be named without fear of legal reprisals. It could get very ugly.

Wow, that'll start the speculation...
  • Options

Wow, that'll start the speculation...
    It will - household name but former senior Yorkshire player. I can only readily think of two that might fit the bill. 

Clearly the incident below has nothing to do with Yorkshire's damning behaviour but I was unaware that Rafiq had previously been in trouble, back in 2010, with both Yorkshire and the ECB:

Azeem Rafiq, the Yorkshire offspinner, has been suspended by his county pending a full investigation after he launched a foul-mouthed rant on Twitter following his omission from the England Under-19 side for the second Test against Sri Lanka at Scarborough.

Rafiq, who captained England to a 199-run defeat in the first Test, fired a scathing attack at coach John Abraham after he was omitted for what the ECB called "inappropriate conduct" and Rafiq is now under further investigation by the board.

After he was told the news of being dropped Rafiq posted: "What a f***ing farsee ... John Abrahams is a useless ****... ECB prove it again what incompetent people are working for them!!"

And he hadn't finished there when he added: "John Abrahams is a useless w****r."

It isn't the first time Rafiq has been caught in controversy although the previous occasion was much less his fault. Yorkshire played him in their 2008 Twenty20 Cup quarter-final against Durham without realising he wasn't properly registered and didn't hold a British passport.

Rafiq was banned for a month and fined £500. The article also mentions a now ex Yorkshire senior player:

Andrew Strauss was asked about the incident as he prepared for the first Test against Pakistan. He has had experience of a player getting into trouble over Twitter when Tim Bresnan was forced to apologise for a comment he posted during the Champions Trophy last year and Strauss said players, at whatever age, must take responsibility.

Bresnan's message was in response to someone posting a doctored image of him that made him look overweight:

'Don't mind my mates dishing it out but who the f*** are you. Crawl out of your basement. U ****.'

And in that one phrase "Don't mind my mates dishing it out" we might then think of what Ballance said to his then mate Rafiq. The truth is that some things aren't acceptable to say even to your mates.

• Options
    Yorkshire has been suspended from hosting England matches following the racism allegations made by former player Azeem Rafiq.
    The England and Wales Cricket Board says the ban will last until the club has "clearly demonstrated that it can meet the standards expected".
    What a fucking joke
  • Options
    Michael Vaughan has been named in the report as the person that made the comment "there’s too many of you lot, it’s something we need to have a word about”. He has completely denied ever doing so.
  • Options
    Michael Vaughan has been named in the report as the person that made the comment "there’s too many of you lot, it’s something we need to have a word about”. He has completely denied ever doing so.
    You "missed" oohaah's post at 21.30.
  • Options
    There will be a few resignations,  a few sorrys and then all forgotten.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59170256

The BBC article has most of the Vaughan quotes from the Telegraph article