Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    Seb will have a great time out there AA - I know Jamie did when he went to the Academy

What club side is he attached to ?
  • Options
    Sounds an amazing experience AA, though also a major commitment by all the lads who've gone out there. A very different experience than the one the Test players will experience, indeed I'm surprised they're even being allowed in

I trust Carl Hooper won't be training the players to get to 35, playing beautiful shots around the ground, then hit one down the throat of gully  :D
    He doesn't have to train Seb to do that. Unfortunately, that is Seb to a tee. Looks good, plays a few lovely drives and pulls. And then runs himself out taking a third run or just chips one to cover! It's a concentration issue and not one he suffers from when keeping. The DLCA have their own psychologist who the boys meet individually each week and that will be one of the topics of conversation no doubt.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Seb will have a great time out there AA - I know Jamie did when he went to the Academy

What club side is he attached to ?
    It's Southern Districts. They will have two others from the DLCA too. One is a Lancs Academy and 2s player and the other you might have heard of - Nathan Khelawon who plays for Billericay but who also came to fame some six years ago for breaking Alastair Cook's school record for the number of runs in a season. He seems to have lost his way a bit since though given that he was touted at that time as being a superstar of the future:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-3356634/Alastair-Cook-England-s-time-Test-run-scorer-13-year-old-breaking-Essex-batsman-s-records.html

• Options
    BT Sport have bought the live TV rights for the five Tests, but are not planning to send a commentary team to Australia, and will instead rely on a feed provided by host broadcasters Fox and Channel Seven. Oh joy!
  • Options
    I got am email from Old Trafford saying that their 2022 tickets are not being put on sale yet as ECB are negotiating with India about playing this years 5th test. 
    There are no real gaps in the calendar unless India make a special trip and its played either end of season. (Darren Stevens is deadly then!)
    More likely its tagged onto their white ball tour in July. This would mean playing it at the same time as RLC v South Africa.  
    Never happened before!
  • Options
    BT Sport have bought the live TV rights for the five Tests, but are not planning to send a commentary team to Australia, and will instead rely on a feed provided by host broadcasters Fox and Channel Seven. Oh joy!
    Do you know if TMS will be there to save us! 
  • Options
    Looks like I wont be up in the middle of the night watching it then as I don't (currently) subscribe to BT Sport. 

Sky losing their touch....?
  • Options
    redman said:
    Do you know if TMS will be there to save us! 
    It will be on TMS who will also cover every ball of every game in the WC on 5 Live Sports Extra
  • Options
    Looks like I wont be up in the middle of the night watching it then as I don't (currently) subscribe to BT Sport. 

Sky losing their touch....?
    BT have had Aussie home series for 4 years now, including the previous Ashes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know I keep banging on about the nature of the pitches in the UAE and how a low score can be defended. Today's game today was an illustration of how hard things might be for our batsmen in the WC.

KKR crawled to 135-5 off 20. Delhi were 96-0 off 12 and after 15.5 overs were 121-1 so needing just 15 runs off 25 balls with 9 wickets in hand. They then lost 6 wickets for 7 runs off 23 balls! They still needed 6 runs to win off the last 2 balls but got over the line courtesy of a maximum from Tripathi.

Captain Morgan will have taken Delhi into the final of the IPL. But (and there is a but) he has become the Mike Brearley of the IPL and has even dropped himself down the batting order to 6 and on occasions even 7 such has been his woeful form.

Morgan's overall average for the whole IPL this season is 11.72 at a strike rate of 98.47 - in 15 innings he has only three times reached double figures. As if that isn't bad enough it actually drops to 7.40 at 75.51 in the UAE where his top score has been 13*

I'm certainly not advocating dropping Morgan for the WC. But I am suggesting that, if the surfaces are the same, we desperately need someone like Root who the rest of the team can bat round. If he ends up 60 not out and we reach 150 we will have every chance of winning. The other person who has to play is Moeen Ali who has averaged 22.85 at 133.33. His economy rate with the ball is 6.35 too and his experience in the conditions will be invaluable

• Options
    I think Dawid Malan plays the anchor role more than adequately.  He's the best T20i batsman in the world, ever, by some distance.  And Root's decline in T20 internationals, since his highest ranking of 4th, four years ago has been quite remarkable.  

Root was a very good T20 player.  But I don't think he would improve the current team.  And to throw him in to the World Cup team with a brief to reach 60* when he hasn't made that many in a T20i for more than five years might be too much to expect.  
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Chizz said:
    I think Dawid Malan plays the anchor role more than adequately.  He's the best T20i batsman in the world, ever, by some distance.  And Root's decline in T20 internationals, since his highest ranking of 4th, four years ago has been quite remarkable.  

Root was a very good T20 player.  But I don't think he would improve the current team.  And to throw him in to the World Cup team with a brief to reach 60* when he hasn't made that many in a T20i for more than five years might be too much to expect.  
    You might be correct re Malan but I just think that he is a dot, dot, dot, dot, boundary, dot merchant. He does not rotate the strike enough and when he gets out before kicking on he does more damage than good. The majority of the IPL games in the UAE have been won in the power play when the ball is hard and only two fielders are out. If Malan gets in during those first six overs then we will be in trouble because he will use up too many balls. 

For the record Malan had the 26th best average in The Hundred with 26.75 at a strike rate of 121.59 - no less than 20 England qualified players were ahead of him. I know how you recognise the value of that particular competition so his efforts must have disappointed you. This summer he averaged for England 20.00 at a strike rate of 108.11. Hardly mind blowing.

There is also a reason why Malan, at the age of 34, has only ever played one match in the whole of the history of the IPL. If he were that good then I'm sure he would have been selected more often.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

You might be correct re Malan but I just think that he is a dot, dot, dot, dot, boundary, dot merchant. He does not rotate the strike enough and when he gets out before kicking on he does more damage than good. The majority of the IPL games in the UAE have been won in the power play when the ball is hard and only two fielders are out. If Malan gets in during those first six overs then we will be in trouble because he will use up too many balls. 

For the record Malan had the 26th best average in The Hundred with 26.75 at a strike rate of 121.59 - no less than 20 England qualified players were ahead of him. I know how you recognise the value of that particular competition so his efforts must have disappointed you. This summer he averaged for England 20.00 at a strike rate of 108.11. Hardly mind blowing.

There is also a reason why Malan, at the age of 34, has only ever played one match in the whole of the history of the IPL. If I were that good then I'm sure he would have been selected more often.
    What is it?  

I agree that there's room for an innings-builder in the line-up even in a crash-bang-wallop format like T20.  But Malan is the best batsman in T20i cricket ever; and Root hasn't made a score in that format since 2016.  I think if there's a straight choice of a batting position between the world's best T20i batsman and the world's best Test batsman, you should pick the right one for the format.  
  • Options

Luckless Test opener Will Pucovski is once again managing concussion symptoms after he was struck in the head during a training session last week. Cricket Victoria has confirmed Pucovski was hit last Tuesday, October 5, and it's understood the 23-year-old is still experiencing symptoms.

The talented right-hander, who averages 53 at first-class level and made his Test debut earlier this year, hasn't played any cricket at all since that Test at the SCG in January, when he injured his shoulder.

So unlucky has Pucovski been on the injury front that he has played just five games of high-level cricket since January last year, before the pandemic, which have been a microcosm of his brilliant yet luckless career to date.

He was forced to retire hurt in two of those five games due to concussion, his participation in his Test debut ended early due to that shoulder problem, while he scored record-breaking double hundreds for Victoria in the other two games.

Pucovski's luckless run with concussion began in high school when he suffered a head knock during a game of Australian Rules football, which sidelined from all sporting activities for six months.

He's also previously cracked his head on a doorknob in his family home, been struck by a ball that ricocheted from an adjacent net, and fallen head-first into the ground when running between wickets after his bat plugged into the turf.

• Options
    Root can bowl an over or two of handy off spin, which Malan can’t do. I know we have moeen and rashid, but sometimes the seamers might not do it and you always need to buy an over here or there in t20.
  • Options

Luckless Test opener Will Pucovski is once again managing concussion symptoms after he was struck in the head during a training session last week. Cricket Victoria has confirmed Pucovski was hit last Tuesday, October 5, and it's understood the 23-year-old is still experiencing symptoms.

The talented right-hander, who averages 53 at first-class level and made his Test debut earlier this year, hasn't played any cricket at all since that Test at the SCG in January, when he injured his shoulder.

So unlucky has Pucovski been on the injury front that he has played just five games of high-level cricket since January last year, before the pandemic, which have been a microcosm of his brilliant yet luckless career to date.

He was forced to retire hurt in two of those five games due to concussion, his participation in his Test debut ended early due to that shoulder problem, while he scored record-breaking double hundreds for Victoria in the other two games.

Pucovski's luckless run with concussion began in high school when he suffered a head knock during a game of Australian Rules football, which sidelined from all sporting activities for six months.

He's also previously cracked his head on a doorknob in his family home, been struck by a ball that ricocheted from an adjacent net, and fallen head-first into the ground when running between wickets after his bat plugged into the turf.

Sounds almost as clumsy as me. Oz have got some seriously talented young players coming through, him and Cameron green are two talents I’m keeping an eye on. 
  • Options
    Root can bowl an over or two of handy off spin, which Malan can’t do. I know we have moeen and rashid, but sometimes the seamers might not do it and you always need to buy an over here or there in t20.
    We're the best team in the world.  We really shouldn't be introducing a batsman because he's taken six wickets in nine years at an economy rate approaching ten per over ahead of the world's best T20i batsman. 
  • Options
    The notion that Malan is a better T20i batsman than, say, Babar Azam is frankly completely hilarious 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    The notion that Malan is a better T20i batsman than, say, Babar Azam is frankly completely hilarious 
    ...and yet 

https://www.icc-cricket.com/rankings/mens/player-rankings/t20i/batting 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Those are the current rankings. I know who I'd pick in my team ten times out of ten 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Those are the current rankings. I know who I'd pick in my team ten times out of ten 
    ...and yet 

https://www.icc-cricket.com/rankings/mens/player-rankings/t20i/all-time-batting
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    The rankings reward career longevity, hence why Dilshan is still in the world top 20 despite retiring ages ago. Yes yes 'proven by science' but while stats are valuable, using them to demonstrate objective superiority is fraught with risk 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    The rankings reward career longevity, hence why Dilshan is still in the world top 20 despite retiring ages ago. Yes yes 'proven by science' but I'd rather trust my own judgement tbh
    Given the vanishingly small possibility that Babar Azam will be available for selection for England in the World Cup, who would you choose between Malan and Root? 
  • Options
    In white ball cricket, I'm not sure the rankings use strike rate as a consideration, so a player who's job is to play sensibly and anchor the innings will have an advantage over those expected to go out and smack sixes from the start

A boring 35 will gain more ranking points than an explosive 25 off 10 balls
  • Options
    Can't we have both in the squad? Root is great on slower decks 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Leuth said:
    ...and yet 

And yet Eoin Morgan is ranked 14th on that list and Glenn Maxwell is ranked 26th.

And yet in the IPL Morgan has scored 129 runs from 14 innings at an average of 11.72 and Maxwell has scored 513 runs at an average of 42.75 for exactly the same number of innings 

And yet George Munsey of Scotland is ranked a better batsman than Maxwell and yet he can only dream of securing a county contract let alone playing in the IPL. His ranking is based on scoring runs against the likes of Namibia, Papua New Guinea and Oman as opposed to the best bowlers in the world

And yet you would still believe, by virtue of your belief in the validity of these rankings, that Munsey is a batter batsman than Maxwell

Any yet that rather says it all

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Can't we have both in the squad? Root is great on slower decks 
    Definitely.  But the (very good) point that @Addick Addict made is that we need one person to play the anchor role in the team.  It's my view that picking Malan to play that role when needed would be a better option than Root.  
  • Options
    In white ball cricket, I'm not sure the rankings use strike rate as a consideration, so a player who's job is to play sensibly and anchor the innings will have an advantage over those expected to go out and smack sixes from the start

A boring 35 will gain more ranking points than an explosive 25 off 10 balls
    Who would you fill your side with in a T20 match?  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Leuth said:
    ...and yet 

And yet Eoin Morgan is ranked 14th on that list and Glenn Maxwell is ranked 26th.

And yet in the IPL Morgan has scored 129 runs from 14 innings at an average of 11.72 and Maxwell has scored 513 runs at an average of 42.75 for exactly the same number of innings 

And yet George Munsey of Scotland is ranked a better batsman than Maxwell and yet he can only dream of securing a county contract let alone playing in the IPL. His ranking is based on scoring runs against the likes of Namibia, Papua New Guinea and Oman as opposed to the best bowlers in the world

And yet you would still believe, by virtue of your belief in the validity of these rankings, that Munsey is a batter batsman than Maxwell

Any yet that rather says it all

The IPL isn't international cricket. In the same way first class averages don't always count for much in Test cricket.   And A List one day games are different from ODIs.  

I am not saying that the only reason that Malan would be a better choice than Root is that Root isn't in the top 100 world rankings and Malan is top.  It's for lots of reasons.  

I think we're agreed that the England team should have one "anchor" player.  My view is that Malan should have that role.