Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Parkinson and Crane both had a storming game in the final Championship fixture. There's a chance we take both of them to Australia
    If either or both are being considered, surely they should have made their debut in the summer? The Ashes down under really isn't the place to give youngsters their debut, or second cap after nearly 4 years in the case of Crane. Crane was called up as a kid for the last mauling down under, played one Test and got dropped

Neither have many FC games, but Parkinson has the much more impressive stats plus recent England white ball success
  • Options
    Australia will probably spring Swepson on us at some point. I know an Ashes debut isn't ideal but both of them have been in the setup and they're both bowling well atm. If we go with Leach and Bess it'll be both cowardice and foolishness 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Moeen has not 'disappointed' he's been a brilliant servant, yes maybe a little loose with bat and ball at times but he's never shirked and has helped England win plenty of games

I agree, Moeen has been excellent and I hope he plays white ball cricket for England for a ew years to come, also like the idea of taking Parkinson and Crane  to Australia along with Leech.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Australia will probably spring Swepson on us at some point. I know an Ashes debut isn't ideal but both of them have been in the setup and they're both bowling well atm. If we go with Leach and Bess it'll be both cowardice and foolishness 
    It's a LOT easier making a debut at home, especially when it seems that the grounds will have only Aussie fans...
  • Options
    I think the chances are that we will do our best to play without a spinner especially if Stokes doesn't go. Root will just bowl himself instead.
  • Options
    You don't go into an Australian Test with four fast-mediums. With Archer out and Wood/Stone doubtful (and in the latter case unproven) you need variation, and not of the Sam Curran variety. Going in with Root as our spinner is a 'sack the coach/captain/entire ECB' scenario
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Parkinson and Crane both had a storming game in the final Championship fixture. There's a chance we take both of them to Australia
    If either or both are being considered, surely they should have made their debut in the summer? The Ashes down under really isn't the place to give youngsters their debut, or second cap after nearly 4 years in the case of Crane. Crane was called up as a kid for the last mauling down under, played one Test and got dropped

Neither have many FC games, but Parkinson has the much more impressive stats plus recent England white ball success
    I made this point further up this thread saying we should see how Parkinson goes. A certain Leuth implied i was stupid (or something along those lines)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I made this point further up this thread saying we should see how Parkinson goes. A certain Leuth implied i was stupid (or something along those lines)
    You suggested picking him on a green seamer in the first Test! I said, wait until The Oval or Old Trafford where he won't be mauled/extraneous 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    You don't go into an Australian Test with four fast-mediums. With Archer out and Wood/Stone doubtful (and in the latter case unproven) you need variation, and not of the Sam Curran variety. Going in with Root as our spinner is a 'sack the coach/captain/entire ECB' scenario
    That will happen when we lose 5-0 anyway  :#
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

You suggested picking him on a green seamer in the first Test! I said, wait until The Oval or Old Trafford where he won't be mauled/extraneous 
    history remembers it differently! ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    History is written by the w*n*ers
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    The other option is that you go in with three fast-mediums and someone who the Aussies will target. Which means that the three fast-mediums will have to bowl even more overs. I'm not saying that it's wrong to bring in Parkinson or Crane. Far from it. But we need someone to replace Stokes if he doesn't go because the likes of Burns, Hameed, Malan, Bairstow, Pope and Buttler aren't going to be bowling many overs between them. Alternatively, if we decide to go with five bowlers, then our already fragile batting line up will have six batsmen to rely on and someone like Curran (average 24.69) or even Robinson (12.42) batting at 7
  • Options
    Whoever isn't Anderson or Robinson will be targeted anyway tbh
  • Options
    What a disaster this is going to be. England ought to postpone the Ashes for a year AND tour Pakistan instead, thus killing two birds with one stone!

"It's a tough decision to make, but we at the ECB feel the need to stand by our friends in Pakistan cricket at their moment of need, and thus have decided that touring Pakistan this winter is the morally correct decision to make"
  • Options
    My ideal bowling attack for Aus would be 

Stokes
    Archer/Wood
    Robinson
    Parkinson/Leach
    Anderson/Broad

With Woakes/Stone also in the squad.

With no stokes/Moeen then Woakes has to be the allrounder Archer and Stone out then Mahmood or maybe Garton as the alternative quick.
  • Options
    Morgan is looking rather out of touch in the IPL. Scored 7 from 8 in his previous match here and 8 from 14 today. These pitches aren't easy and 150-160 is easily defendable on them which is probably why we might need a Root type batsmen to bat through rather than ones who are just going out and throw their hands at the ball the whole time. 
    Followed by a 2nd ball duck today
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Moeen has not 'disappointed' he's been a brilliant servant, yes maybe a little loose with bat and ball at times but he's never shirked and has helped England win plenty of games
    Well I say he has and that's my opinion..you are obviously welcome to yours but a bowling average of 36 and a batting average of 28 over a considerable period justifies my first comment..you would expect more from someone who played so many tests...I would accept that he was mucked about by selectors. He set the standard early in his career and since 2018 has been nowhere near it hence the term disappointed ..he should, with the talent he demonstrated in his earlier test career, ended up with 6 less on his bowling and 6 more on his batting averages 
  • Options
    We'd be best all round delaying it a year, hopefully things will have settled down and it might be a proper contest, too.

We're just walking into a series with a depleted side who don't want to really be there.
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Leuth said:
    Well I say he has and that's my opinion..you are obviously welcome to yours but a bowling average of 36 and a batting average of 28 over a considerable period justifies my first comment..you would expect more from someone who played so many tests...I would accept that he was mucked about by selectors. He set the standard early in his career and since 2018 has been nowhere near it hence the term disappointed ..he should, with the talent he demonstrated in his earlier test career, ended up with 6 less on his bowling and 6 more on his batting averages 
    Decent average for a spinner, better than (e.g.) feted old hands like Emburey and Tufnell, nowhere near so good as the superb Swann. He played in an era when spinners all too often were an afterthought and seemed to be used as a last resort or when the pacemen were cream crackered. Down to bad selection policies and timid captaincy
    Ideally he should have had a regular niche at number 7 or 8, this never happened as preference was always given to a pace bowler in that slot and batting wise Moheen was the go to man when all else failed. He'll still enjoy a limited overs career around the world and could well play on into his 40s
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We'd be best all round delaying it a year, hopefully things will have settled down and it might be a proper contest, too.

We're just walking into a series with a depleted side who don't want to really be there.

Players who are happy to take £700k by way of a red central contract (£1m in the case of Root) or £170,000 for a white ball contract and also play for various franchises around the world such as the IPL and The Hundred and then claim that they are worn out and suffering from "bubble fatigue". Remove the central contract and pay them a lump sum for being in a squad and an enhanced sum for playing. It's too easy to opt out now. Players are now mercenaries and chasing the money which is their absolute right to do. But why underpin that?

Take a look at the names of those centrally contracted and how many have been missing for various reasons in the last year

Test Central Contracts

James Anderson (Lancashire), Jofra Archer (Sussex), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Sam Curran (Surrey), Ollie Pope (Surrey), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Dom Sibley (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

White Ball Central Contracts

Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Jofra Archer (Sussex), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Tom Curran (Surrey), Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Ben Stokes (Durham), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham).

Increment Contracts

Dom Bess (Somerset), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Dawid Malan (Yorkshire), Jack Leach (Somerset).

Pace Bowling Development Contracts

Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Craig Overton (Somerset), Olly Stone (Warwickshire).

The other anomaly, of course, is that you have a bizarre situation where the likes of Wood, Moeen Ali and Bairstow who are on white ball contracts replace those who are on red ball contracts in the Test side. How is that fair?

The Ashes situation will all be resolved anyway I'm sure. Root has given his "shot across the bow" and the Aussies won't want the Ashes cancelled and will bend over backwards to help. Equally, the Australian Government have to be seen to be making the right noises because of the restrictions they have imposed on people entering the country including Aussie residents returning - these are capped for each state between 250 and 750 per week. The sticking point is probably not whether the players have to quarantine but whether their families will have to do so for 14 days when their stay in total might only be three or four weeks. I'm sure that they will bend on that too.
  • Options
    Ten pints in from the pavilion 
    I think this was the only sun yesterday 
    I’m 51 and was the youngest by a hundred years in there 
    12 for 6 when I turned up 🥴
    anything to not go Charlton

• Options
    With Watmore and Harrison leading the cricket game in England, what could possibly go wrong? Michael Atherton's latest article on the subject:

Following on from England’s cancellation of their tour of Pakistan, Wasim Khan, the 50-year-old chief executive of the Pakistan Cricket Board has resigned. Birmingham-born and a former player with Warwickshire, Sussex and Derbyshire, Wasim was widely admired for the job he had done in helping to bring back international cricket to the country.

Wasim tendered his resignation with four months left of his contract to run. He had been running the PCB since his appointment in early 2019 and had staked his reputation on bringing international teams back to the country after a long period in exile following the terrorist attack on the Sri Lanka team bus in 2009.

Ramiz Raja, the new chairman of the PCB, has been flexing his muscles since his appointment a fortnight ago and the abrupt withdrawal of New Zealand in the middle of their tour, and England’s cancellation will not have helped Wasim. England are due to undergo a full tour of Pakistan in 2022 but after a breakdown of the relationship, the PCB has already admitted to planning for alternative arrangements.

Ian Watmore, the chairman of the England and Wales Cricket Board, who has been invisible since the cancellation, spoke for the first time on Tuesday to selected outlets, not including The Times. He offered a further apology but no explanation for the decision.

“I’m very sorry to anyone who feels hurt or let down by our decision, particularly in Pakistan,” he said. “The decision the board made was an extremely difficult one and the board made it with the primary consideration being the welfare and mental health of our players and staff.

“The board took the decision based on its own judgments and it didn’t go out to wider consultation. Had we decided to go forward with the tour, we’d have had to put the proposals to TEPP (the body that represents England players) and the PCA, but it didn’t reach that point,” adding that America’s decision to pull its troops out of Afghanistan had come as a surprise. “I don’t know if you read President Biden’s mind, but I didn’t know he was going to evacuate Afghanistan,” Watmore said.

Given that America had signed the Doha agreement in February 2020 promising a complete withdrawal of troops in May 2021, and that the Biden administration had confirmed months ago that it intended to pull troops out by the end of August 2021, that seemed a strange comment to make. Has Watmore been living under a rock?

It was more of an obfuscation than an apology, and raised more questions than answers. TEPP has confirmed to The Times that they held a number of meetings with the ECB over the tour and how Watmore can say the board made a decision based on the players’ mental health without wider consultation is a mystery.

His comments left Ramiz, his opposite number, unimpressed. Contacted by The Times, Ramiz said: “It is still a very confusing statement . . . Security was not discussed as a road block amongst us. Further, Christian Turner [the British high commissioner to Pakistan] nailed that argument by staying with an unchanged travel advisory for UK. And we know now that player welfare and security was not discussed with the team and, in fact, assumed as being compromised on the pretext of New Zealand withdrawing from the tour.”

It is a mystery that has piqued the interest of Yasmin Qureshi, the MP for Bolton South East and the shadow international development minister. In her role as chair of the all-party parliamentary group on Pakistan, she has confirmed that she will be sharing her concerns and demanding some answers from Watmore.

• Options

The Royal London Cup will once again be played at the same time as the Hundred in 2022, the ECB has confirmed.

The domestic 50-over tournament was this year reduced to something of a development competition, with the best white-ball players unavailable as they were involved with Hundred squads. But in a clear sign that the ECB sees it as the least important format at present, the tournaments will once again be stage concurrently, with both expected to start in August and finish in September. The T20 Blast will be completed by mid-July.

The 50-over competition will, however, have a Saturday final in 2022. This year the final was staged on a Thursday less than 48-hours after the second semi-final. Partially as a result, the attendance was a modest 7000. Trent Bridge will remain the venue for the final.

The next 50-over World Cup is scheduled to be played in India in October and November 2023. It remains possible, therefore, that the domestic schedule in England could be changed ahead of the 2023 season to prioritise the 50-over format a little more.

The ECB has also indicated it will try to stage more first-class cricket in July. In 2021, there was a maximum eight days of Championship cricket per side staged between June 7 and August 29. There had been calls in some quarters for the ECB to stage the Championship at the same time as the Hundred to at least ensure those players involved in the Test squad could gain some long-from match practice as required. It has also been suggested that playing on mid-summer surfaces may do more to encourage the development of spin bowlers and negate the dominance of medium-paced seamers.

But such calls have been resisted for now in fear that such a move could further compromise the integrity of the domestic first-class game. Instead, the ECB has committed to trying to ensure at least one more round of fixtures in mid-summer.

Events at Lord's, where rain helped Lancashire drag a one-sided encounter into a fourth day, have done nothing to boost the chances of the Bob Willis Trophy being played again in 2022. Despite the game effectively being defined by events in the first hour - put in on a surface offering seamers some assistance, Lancashire were 12 for 6 at one point - the poor weather forecast for the fourth day means there is a decent chance the game could even enter a fifth day.

By the close, Lancashire required another 50 runs in their second innings to avoid the largest defeat in their first-class history. As a bitterly cold wind rendered both watching and playing a challenging business, it became ever harder to justify extending the county season into October.

• Options
    edited October 2021
  • Options
    I'm no purist, but this is utter madness. Can wave having a decent England team goodbye for starters
  • Options
    Anyone seen Tim Payne's comments about England and Root in particular about touring?
    'The first test will go ahead on 8th December with or without Joe'
    Total bellend. From the same country who have barely toured. Most of his team mates pulled out of the 100; many pulled out of IPL. Complete idiot.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58759083

For what its worth, I can't see the Ashes going ahead this year.
  • Options
    From the same country who's Rugby League team pulled out of the World Cup over here, too.
  • Options
    Morgan is having an absolute mare in the IPL and hasn't been in any form for ages in T20. Scores since he returned:

7 off 8
    8 off 14
    0 off 2
    2 off 2

• Options
    Australia haven't toured for 747 days. The nerve of Oz's 4th best wicket keeper. Complete tool.