Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    I know I'm a big mouth, but I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    Chizz is basically looking to put up a counter view.
    He's not particularly bothered what the subject matter is or what side of the "argument" he takes, as long as he can string everyone along.
    It's called sealioning and he's very very good at it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning
    What's the point of it then?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I know I'm a big mouth, but I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    Chizz is basically looking to put up a counter view.
    He's not particularly bothered what the subject matter is or what side of the "argument" he takes, as long as he can string everyone along.
    It's called sealioning and he's very very good at it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning
    What's the point of it then?
    To sucker people into discussions/arguments and keep it going for as long as you can.
    This "discussion" on cricket/The Hundred/Test matches has been ongoing for what must now be months.

Sealioning (also spelled sea-lioning and sea lioning) is a type of trolling or harassment that consists of pursuing people with persistent requests for evidence or repeated questions, while maintaining a pretense of civility and sincerity.[1][2][3][4] It may take the form of "incessant, bad-faith invitations to engage in debate".

The troll feigns ignorance and politeness, so that if the target is provoked into making an angry response, the troll can then act as the aggrieved party
  • Options
    What a mess:

The basic facts are these: if the Test is deemed, by the ICC, to have been called off due to Covid, the game will be treated as abandoned. As a consequence, the series will finish (at least for now) as a 2-1 victory to India. This scenario would also mean the ECB receiving no insurance payout as it is not covered for this eventuality.

Though both boards' public statements sounded conciliatory, ESPNcricinfo has learned that, behind-the-scenes, the action has been every bit as competitive as anything we have seen on the pitch. The ECB has asserted that, if there is no rearranged date for the game, then the Test should be deemed to have been forfeited by India. That would not only square the series at 2-2, but would allow the ECB to claim insurance payouts on lost revenues, which could well exceed GBP 30 million (USD 41.6 million approx.).

The ECB is not covered for Covid-impacted cancellation by insurance. While Harrison did originally seem to imply it was in an interview on Sky Sports, he later clarified to confirm it was not. Instead, he confirmed that all ticket-holders will be refunded by the ECB. Crucially, he argues that the match was not called-off due to a Covid outbreak, but due to fears of a Covid outbreak.

Harrison being economic with the truth. Have we seen this before? This is what he said about The Hundred in 2019:

It’s about protecting Test match cricket, it’s about protecting four-day Championship cricket, it’s about getting kids playing more cricket at school."
  • Options
    What a mess:

The basic facts are these: if the Test is deemed, by the ICC, to have been called off due to Covid, the game will be treated as abandoned. As a consequence, the series will finish (at least for now) as a 2-1 victory to India. This scenario would also mean the ECB receiving no insurance payout as it is not covered for this eventuality.

Though both boards' public statements sounded conciliatory, ESPNcricinfo has learned that, behind-the-scenes, the action has been every bit as competitive as anything we have seen on the pitch. The ECB has asserted that, if there is no rearranged date for the game, then the Test should be deemed to have been forfeited by India. That would not only square the series at 2-2, but would allow the ECB to claim insurance payouts on lost revenues, which could well exceed GBP 30 million (USD 41.6 million approx.).

The ECB is not covered for Covid-impacted cancellation by insurance. While Harrison did originally seem to imply it was in an interview on Sky Sports, he later clarified to confirm it was not. Instead, he confirmed that all ticket-holders will be refunded by the ECB. Crucially, he argues that the match was not called-off due to a Covid outbreak, but due to fears of a Covid outbreak.

Harrison being economic with the truth. Have we seen this before? This is what he said about The Hundred in 2019:

It’s about protecting Test match cricket, it’s about protecting four-day Championship cricket, it’s about getting kids playing more cricket at school."
    A complete mess, indeed. 

It will only be sorted out with lengthy negotiations and barrowloads of cash.  And I think it will need a concession by India to play a Test at OT next year; England to concede that the series finished 2-1; the Test next year not to be included in the world test championship; and for Indian players to be included in The Hundred. 

Monumentally unsatisfactory. 

On the plus side, cricket, as a whole, is used to negotiating its way out of India-induced crises.  
  • Options
    How much long form format do Indian players play outside test matches … what’s their equivalent of the county championship 
  • Options
    Ranji trophy rings a bell ……..
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    6 teams each of 5 groups round robin  then a knockout stage 

There is a row in India that the test players generally are resting from it as they play too much cricket - which they think devalues the tournament. 

Wasn’t played last year at all due to covid - due to be played jan - mar 2022
  • Options
    New Zealand have the Plunkett Shield - 6 teams and a total of 24 matches 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Chizz said:
    What a mess:

A complete mess, indeed. 

It will only be sorted out with lengthy negotiations and barrowloads of cash.  And I think it will need a concession by India to play a Test at OT next year; England to concede that the series finished 2-1; the Test next year not to be included in the world test championship; and for Indian players to be included in The Hundred. 

Monumentally unsatisfactory. 

On the plus side, cricket, as a whole, is used to negotiating its way out of India-induced crises.  
    It would have been so much easier if England had just taken the field at 11am. 

If the opposition then dont turn up = game forfeited. 

Problem is, like with many other things, people just dont have the balls to do what it takes. Too much sitting on the fence or not wanting to make a decision. Just kick the can down the road and hope someone else comes up with a plan sometime later.
  • Options
    I've no idea what the criteria is, that decides which players can play and which ones can't, but Hameed, Woakes, Pope and Malan have all been released to play for their counties

Young Alastair Cook gets 165 against Surrey, good to see he can still get the "daddy hundreds"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've no idea what the criteria is, that decides which players can play and which ones can't, but Hameed, Woakes, Pope and Malan have all been released to play for their counties

Young Alastair Cook gets 165 against Surrey, good to see he can still get the "daddy hundreds"
    I think it's down to the form they are in but also how much cricket they've played. Some of those mentioned have hardly played at all either though injury or because they aren't involved in white ball and need some time in the middle
  • Options

I think it's down to the form they are in but also how much cricket they've played. Some of those mentioned have hardly played at all either though injury or because they aren't involved in white ball and need some time in the middle
    I wonder if some counties have chosen not to play the England players, and instead stick with their settled squads. I can understand resting fast bowlers Anderson and Robinson, but why rest the likes of Burns, Bairstow, Buttler or Moeen? Surely you'd want them out there in the middle, scoring red ball runs. If Buttler was fine to be rushed back to the test team, surely he's fine to play for Lancs. It's also disappointing that Leach hasn't been picked by Somerset, someone desperate for overs
  • Options
    Couldn't have put it better myself:

Anyone still think that the final Test was not cancelled — or forfeited by India — at the last moment because of the IPL? Truly, it is an insult to all those denied a climax to what had been a compelling series to suggest anything otherwise. Only one thing that ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said, in comments that stretched credulity to breaking point in the aftermath of that sorry day in Manchester last Friday, was more extraordinary.

Harrison, who introduced a new format in the Hundred this season on top of everything else, admitted what everyone in the game has long known — that there is far too much international and domestic cricket.

The question now is what, as one of the most powerful administrators in the world game, he is going to do about it. Don’t hold your breath for an outcome of anything other than what continues to make the most money.

• Options
    England lose the toss and are asked to bat 
  • Options
    Should have turned it into a Test to sate our appetites tbh
  • Options
    Quickly looked on BBC thinking this has slipped
    by me, but it is the women’s cricket. 
  • Options
    Wonder who put out the gagging order?
  • Options
    Dobell definitely falls into the 'meddling boy reporter who wants answers' category (obviously why he's too good for Cricinfo) 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Quickly looked on BBC thinking this has slipped
    by me, but it is the women’s cricket. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlie Dean has, today, become the first player born in the 2000s to represent England.
  • Options
    What the actual hell is Kasperek doing at 11? She's like, clearly one of their best players
  • Options
    Appreciate that we have lost a few players to the IPL but NZ are playing an ODI against Pakistan having lost the following to the franchise:

Kane Williamson
    Kyle Jamieson
    Tim Seifert
    Adam Milne
    Trent Boult
    Lockie Ferguson
    Jimmy Neesham
    Mitchell Santner
    Finn Allen
    Tim Southee

That rather undermines the validity of the international

• Options

Rather disturbing to be reading this:

1.45pm Well, well.... there's a bit of chaos in Pindi. We're hearing that the players have been told to stay inside their rooms. Do stick with us for further updates from Pindi.

2.10pm Usually, the teams would be training by now, but looks like the teams haven't reached the venue yet. No signs of spectators yet either, says Danyal Rasool from the Pindi Stadium.

• Options
    NZ have abandoned tour of Pakistan following a NZ Government security alert. All very worrying.
  • Options
    NZ Tour of Pakistan OFF 
  • Options
    Addict too quick for my eyes ! 
  • Options

This is from the PCB: "Earlier today, the New Zealand cricket board informed us that they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series.

"PCB and Govt of Pakistan made fool proof security arrangements for all visiting teams. We have assured the New Zealand cricket board of the same. The Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best Intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visting team.

"The security officials with the NZ team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the Govt of Pakistan throughout their stay here. PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and world over will be disappointed by this last minute withdrawal."

According to an NZC release: "The side was to play Pakistan this evening in the first of three ODIs in Rawalpindi, before moving to Lahore for a five match T20 series. However, following an escalation in the New Zealand Government threat levels for Pakistan, and advice from NZC security advisors on the ground, it has been decided the BLACKCAPS will not continue with the tour. Arrangements are now being made for the team's departure."

• Options
    What chance the England tour of Pakistan going ahead now? We're meant to play 2 T20s in October
  • Options
    What chance the England tour of Pakistan going ahead now? We're meant to play 2 T20s in October
    I would have thought zero. If you were a cricketer why would you want to risk your life playing in a country that harbours terrorists especially with the Afghanistan situation creating the potential for more terrorist attacks.