Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    If the covid outbreak was amongst the coaching staff and back room set up, why couldn’t India put a team out?

they should be heavily fined and next years 1 dayers should be given to Australia instead. 
    Because the players "feared getting it". But they didn't have the same fear in the last Test because they weren't 2-1 up at the time and the IPL wasn't a week away
    Exactly!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Trying to work out why there are no England Test matches in the seven weeks between 27th June and 17th August next year i.e. the height of the summer. Is there anything else going on during that time?  
    Twelve England matches, at ten venues against India and South Africa. 
    Yes, 2 series of white ball matches between the 1st July and the 31st July. The 100 will presumably then start in August
    Four series
    12 days out of 43
    I think twelve days of white ball internationals and thirty days of Test cricket across the Summer is probably about right, on balance. 
    You would. In the same way as you would think that all bar a couple of County Championship games being played in April/May/September is right. Because you love the shortest form of the game and if that has massive ramifications on Test cricket in terms of the production of players good enough to play 5 day cricket you aren't bothered. I get that. It's just some of us would prefer a more level playing field.
    To be fair 6 T20s, 6 ODIS and 6 Tests is a reasonable split

I would question the timing of the matches though. Yet again we play NZ, the World Test Champions, in June, as if they were a second rate team. I'm not a fan also of these mini white ball series against countries, instead of a proper set of matches against one country. Instead of yet more matches against India, why not Tests, ODIs and T20s against NZ, with the Tests in July?
    Iirc nz cricket board are content with playing lots of 2 match test series and more odis t20is in comparison, so would probably have been them that insisted on a small series.
  • Options
    So the Indian players are showing the same lack of professionalism and sporting decorum as continually shown by their arrogant prick captain on the pitch. What a shock 
  • Options
    There should, imo, always be championship games whilst England are playing test matches. If an England player drops out of form he could regain it in the counties and if a young up and comer starts blitzing runs or wickets he could get a test call. You know, like how it has always been. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Trying to work out why there are no England Test matches in the seven weeks between 27th June and 17th August next year i.e. the height of the summer. Is there anything else going on during that time?  
    Yes, 2 series of white ball matches between the 1st July and the 31st July. The 100 will presumably then start in August
    Four series
    12 days out of 43
    I think twelve days of white ball internationals and thirty days of Test cricket across the Summer is probably about right, on balance. 
    You would. In the same way as you would think that all bar a couple of County Championship games being played in April/May/September is right. Because you love the shortest form of the game and if that has massive ramifications on Test cricket in terms of the production of players good enough to play 5 day cricket you aren't bothered. I get that. It's just some of us would prefer a more level playing field.
    How many more Tests should England play next Summer in your view? 
    You are being, as usual, deliberately obtuse. It's not just the number. It's having them and the CC matches being played in optimum conditions for the completion and duration of matches as well as the development of red ball players.

Straight question that doesn't require a question to answer it: do you think a spin bowler will play more red ball matches and develop his game by playing in April/May and September or in July/August? 
    OK, you didn't answer my question, but I will do you the respect of answering yours.  

A spinner will develop his or her red ball skills by playing.  So they more games they play, the more they will develop their skills.  In England, the skills required for a spinner are significantly different in April than in September.  So, players - not just spinners - should develop their skills appropriately, according to the time of year and the conditions that exist when they are most needed. However, players who have been developing their skills in April and May will likely be in better condition and form than those who, as your question states, develop their game in July/August.  

As for whether that player will play more or fewer red ball games in the months you ask, it would very much be dependent on how many were scheduled.  But April, May and September could probably accommodate more days' play than July and August.  

Red ball cricket isn't the only form of cricket and we shouldn't be driven solely by that format.  Not least because England are the ODI World Champions and the current best T20 team in the world.  Exclusively developing one format of cricket will be damaging to others.  Imagine how difficult it would be for the England women to win the Ashes if they were only to concentrate on one format.  

• Options
    mendonca said:
    I haven't seen the new calendar but I guess that;s the slot for the 100 / ODI Cup. They're suggesting that India can play the test in that slot as they're over for ODI / T20 anyway.
    That schedule is truly pathetic! That is exactly when we should be having test cricket!
    Ha Ha Ha Ha......

I said this 2 months ago when I ranted that there was no Test cricket this "summer".

People now just coming around to my way of thinking.  Might take yous lot some time but you get there in the end.

#teamgolfie.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Four series
    12 days out of 43
    You are being, as usual, deliberately obtuse. It's not just the number. It's having them and the CC matches being played in optimum conditions for the completion and duration of matches as well as the development of red ball players.

Straight question that doesn't require a question to answer it: do you think a spin bowler will play more red ball matches and develop his game by playing in April/May and September or in July/August? 
    He won't be able to answer that as his cricket knowledge is minimal. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    mendonca said:
    I try not to listen to Vaughan much. Surprisingly, he shows different personas according to which media outlets and audience he is with. 
    I don't disagree with that but my respect for Hussein similarly went downhill when he chose to stay with The Hundred rather than commentate on the Test matches going on at the same time. They are both trying to back the right horse at any given time.
    My understanding is that Colin Graves is (was) one of te main driving forces behind the Hundred. He is also a prominent figure in Yorkshire which might explain Vaughan's ambivalence to some extent.

I know he has become persona non grata but I'd like to hear Boycott's take on it all.
    Has he?  I thought he retired as given Covid was around amd he's 80, he couldn't be travelling around the world in crowds etc.
  • Options
    The view of the Barmy Army re today's events:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    I haven't seen the new calendar but I guess that;s the slot for the 100 / ODI Cup. They're suggesting that India can play the test in that slot as they're over for ODI / T20 anyway.
    That schedule is truly pathetic! That is exactly when we should be having test cricket!
    Ha Ha Ha Ha......

I said this 2 months ago when I ranted that there was no Test cricket this "summer".

People now just coming around to my way of thinking.  Might take yous lot some time but you get there in the end.

#teamgolfie. #teamgolfie
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Ha Ha Ha Ha......

#teamgolfie. Next you'll be telling us that Charlton don't have any goal scorers and claiming that you said that all along
  • Options
    Covid obviously has something to do with it.
    The players did not want to run the risk of contacting Covid and miss out on the IPL.
    Bearing in mind both physios have Covid and have probably been in close contact with most if not all the players, the concern is real.
    The main issue was arranging the last Test too close to the start of the IPL.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Four series
    12 days out of 43

OK, you didn't answer my question, but I will do you the respect of answering yours.  

A spinner will develop his or her red ball skills by playing.  So they more games they play, the more they will develop their skills.  In England, the skills required for a spinner are significantly different in April than in September.  So, players - not just spinners - should develop their skills appropriately, according to the time of year and the conditions that exist when they are most needed. However, players who have been developing their skills in April and May will likely be in better condition and form than those who, as your question states, develop their game in July/August.  

As for whether that player will play more or fewer red ball games in the months you ask, it would very much be dependent on how many were scheduled.  But April, May and September could probably accommodate more days' play than July and August.  

Red ball cricket isn't the only form of cricket and we shouldn't be driven solely by that format.  Not least because England are the ODI World Champions and the current best T20 team in the world.  Exclusively developing one format of cricket will be damaging to others.  Imagine how difficult it would be for the England women to win the Ashes if they were only to concentrate on one format.  

I'm sorry but just because you have just answered the question with a load of drivel but it does, at least, serve to demonstrate your lack of understanding.

Spinners aren't even picked a lot of the time in April/May and even September because bowlers bowling at 69mph like Stevens on slow tracks with a swinging and seaming ball are king. Equally, being a successful white ball spinner requires a totally different skillset. A white ball spinner will bowl a different pace, length and line to a red ball one because they are trying to achieve different things to different fields.

Which is why, of the top 20 English qualified wicket takers this summer, we have one (yes ONE) that is a spinner. Go on - explain that one without being too verbose and by perhaps offering a logical and coherent explanation for 19 out of 20 being seamers.

Edit - just checked Kent's bowling stats. Out of 148 wickets, just 19 have taken by spinners with the top number from a front line spinner being Logan with 8. The rest, apart from one from Qadri, have been taken by the part timers Denly (4) and Leaning (6). 
    So, how many Tests should England play next Summer, in your view?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Four series
    12 days out of 43

I'm sorry but just because you have just answered the question with a load of drivel but it does, at least, serve to demonstrate your lack of understanding.

Spinners aren't even picked a lot of the time in April/May and even September because bowlers bowling at 69mph like Stevens on slow tracks with a swinging and seaming ball are king. Equally, being a successful white ball spinner requires a totally different skillset. A white ball spinner will bowl a different pace, length and line to a red ball one because they are trying to achieve different things to different fields.

Which is why, of the top 20 English qualified wicket takers this summer, we have one (yes ONE) that is a spinner. Go on - explain that one without being too verbose and by perhaps offering a logical and coherent explanation for 19 out of 20 being seamers.

Edit - just checked Kent's bowling stats. Out of 148 wickets, just 19 have taken by spinners with the top number from a front line spinner being Logan with 8. The rest, apart from one from Qadri, have been taken by the part timers Denly (4) and Leaning (6). 
    As I said before. It's not the number - it's when they are being played that matters as it does when the CC is played. But let's settle at 8. 

So, now please explain why 19 of the top English wicket takers in the CC are seamers.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Four series
    12 days out of 43

As I said before. It's not the number - it's when they are being played that matters as it does when the CC is played. But let's settle at 8. 

So, now please explain why 19 of the top English wicket takers in the CC are seamers.
    OK, you did answer my question.  I think eight is too many.  But I would settle on seven.   

Typically, seamers - specifically fast-medium and medium-fast seamers - always do well in English conditions. It's why 17 of the 20 players who have taken the most wickets against England in this country, this century, are seamers.  So, I would guess that the atmospheric conditions are significantly relevant.  Most wickets are taken by seamers, because most wickets fall to seamers.  

Spinners tend to take more wickets later in the season, when pitches are more worn.  So, it would be interesting to see if there are more wickets taken by spinners in the county championship in the days to come. 

Steve Reingold, 23 year old offspinner from Glamorgan and Rob Jones, the 25 year old Lancashire leg-spinner are the top two bowlers in the county championship averages this summer, which, I guess, may, ultimately be good news for the England Test team in the future. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Four series
    12 days out of 43

You are deliberately missing the point. 
    It's not how many tests it's when they should be played.
    Moving test matches about to make way for the hundred is totally bollox. 
    Play the hundred in April and May if we have to play it at all.
    But leave the tests to be played when they should be. 
  • Options
    By all accounts India previously asked for the Manchester Test moved to the end of July. The ECB didn't want to do that because of how it would impact on The Hundred with Manchester being one of the grounds being used.

As a result, Harrison couldn't then kick off today about India returning early because of the IPL as the accusation of hypocrisy would have made.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Four series
    12 days out of 43

I have no interest in the 100. But if tests were played during the test season and the 100 being played now, it might be good to watch a bit of big hitting as the nights draw in and we get to spend time drinking in the afternoon getting a last bit of sun for a few months.

the problem is that schools are open in April, may, parts of June and September. The 100 wants you younger people to watch it and if kids are at school, night time games are a no no
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Four series
    12 days out of 43

I have no interest in the 100. But if tests were played during the test season and the 100 being played now, it might be good to watch a bit of big hitting as the nights draw in and we get to spend time drinking in the afternoon getting a last bit of sun for a few months.

the problem is that schools are open in April, may, parts of June and September. The 100 wants you younger people to watch it and if kids are at school, night time games are a no no
    If the hundred was to start at say 6pm.
    It should still be finished by the time kids go to bed.
    My grandkids stay up later than me now most nights 😁
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Four series
    12 days out of 43

You've hit the nail squarely on the head.  There are only certain times of the year in which The Hundred can be played, as double-headers, at a time when the audience (e.g. families) is able to attend.  That's why cricket has to (and so far has been able to) accommodate a three-wicket timespan in order to play the games.  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Four series
    12 days out of 43

OK, you did answer my question.  I think eight is too many.  But I would settle on seven.   

Typically, seamers - specifically fast-medium and medium-fast seamers - always do well in English conditions. It's why 17 of the 20 players who have taken the most wickets against England in this country, this century, are seamers.  So, I would guess that the atmospheric conditions are significantly relevant.  Most wickets are taken by seamers, because most wickets fall to seamers.  

Spinners tend to take more wickets later in the season, when pitches are more worn.  So, it would be interesting to see if there are more wickets taken by spinners in the county championship in the days to come. 

Steve Reingold, 23 year old offspinner from Glamorgan and Rob Jones, the 25 year old Lancashire leg-spinner are the top two bowlers in the county championship averages this summer, which, I guess, may, ultimately be good news for the England Test team in the future. 

The words "clutching at straws" spring to mind allied with desperation because we are now reliant on a few days at the end of September for our spinners to take wickets. 

The fact that you have chosen to pick Reingold and Jones as being prospective England players is I believe both a reflection of your cricketing knowledge and evidence that you have no valid argument whatsoever as you have chosen to promote two bowlers who have picked up FOUR wickets this season between them. 

0/10 Must do better
    I have no valid argument, as you put it, because I really don't know what it is I am supposed to be arguing about! I genuinely, honestly and thoroughly don't care, at all, when the country championship is played.  If you think it should be played throughout April to October, then great.  But I honestly don't care, which is why you will very rarely find me on the country cricket threads. 

You've asked me questions about why players might develop more skills by playing cricket in more months and why, in England, there are more bowlers taking wickets with seam bowling than with spin bowling this year, as there has been for many, many years.  I answered them, but I can't see how they lead to a logical "argument".  

I don't have much interest at all in county cricket.  For those that do - great!  I like other formats.  And my preference is for the highest-standard of cricket, which is tests, obviously.  But if some people want to continue to sit and watch their teams play long-format, low-standard (in the main) county cricket, then all power to them.  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Four series
    12 days out of 43

The words "clutching at straws" spring to mind allied with desperation because we are now reliant on a few days at the end of September for our spinners to take wickets. 

The fact that you have chosen to pick Reingold and Jones as being prospective England players is I believe both a reflection of your cricketing knowledge and evidence that you have no valid argument whatsoever as you have chosen to promote two bowlers who have picked up FOUR wickets this season between them. 

0/10 Must do better
    I have no valid argument, as you put it, because I really don't know what it is I am supposed to be arguing about! I genuinely, honestly and thoroughly don't care, at all, when the country championship is played.  If you think it should be played throughout April to October, then great.  But I honestly don't care, which is why you will very rarely find me on the country cricket threads. 

You've asked me questions about why players might develop more skills by playing cricket in more months and why, in England, there are more bowlers taking wickets with seam bowling than with spin bowling this year, as there has been for many, many years.  I answered them, but I can't see how they lead to a logical "argument".  

I don't have much interest at all in county cricket.  For those that do - great!  I like other formats.  And my preference is for the highest-standard of cricket, which is tests, obviously.  But if some people want to continue to sit and watch their teams play long-format, low-standard (in the main) county cricket, then all power to them.  

No interest in county cricket = no interest in the ultimate performance of the Test team. Because when we play next to no CC matches when there are optimum conditions for spinners and batsmen (July and August), you end up with what we have at Test level i.e. batsmen that can't bat time and spinners that haven't developed their game. The knock on effect of that is not just low standard county cricket but low standard Test cricket hence the reason we only have one player in our side who averages more than 34 with the bat.

You might be interested to learn that, as recently as 2010, no less than 8 of the top 30 bowlers in the CC were spinners. And guess what? In that season, counties each played half a dozen CC games in July and August.

I don't disagree that first class cricket is important. My view is just county cricket just doesn't hold my interest. 
  • Options
    I know I'm a big mouth, but I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    Chizz is basically looking to put up a counter view.
    He's not particularly bothered what the subject matter is or what side of the "argument" he takes, as long as he can string everyone along.
    It's called sealioning and he's very very good at it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning