Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    What are the actual figures, how many players have tested positive?  Has this test really been called off because some players think they might possibly get covid?
    No players have tested positive. One further member of the support staff did. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    And here we have Tom "Mr Hundred" Harrison's take:

"It's been a long night. It's just really sad.

"You can't be flippant about issues of mental health, and this is what this is about. India have been wonderful tourists, but they have been here for a long time.

"Playing at this level, week after week, is difficult. Even if we feel we are emerging from the pandemic, life is different for the players. When Covid creeps into an environment, it can accelerate very quickly."

What a complete an utter load of "bxxxxx" to bring in mental health. We are talking five days. I bet every single one of those players will be available for selection for the IPL. Had that not been starting in a matter of days and/or India been losing the series this would not have happened. 

Perhaps Harrison has a job lined up with the BCCI because he would seriously sell his soul to the devil. 

• Options
    England awarded the win by default. Jimmy claiming a fivefor in each innings  ;)
    Bairstow also got a positive COVID result, but he’s reviewed it
    Brilliant 😂
    Oh come on, Bairstow is no Shane Watson!
  • Options
    What are the actual figures, how many players have tested positive?  Has this test really been called off because some players think they might possibly get covid?
    No players have tested positive. One further member of the support staff did. 
    This is outrageous imo.  Now listening to Tom Harrison's spiel about mental health, jeez ...   
  • Options
    Harrison "It became quite clear yesterday morning that India had a problem. It wasn't positive tests but the perception. We pit everything in place to convince them that things were in place. People have to understand the mental side of things."

Hussein "If you are saying that there is mental issues, why are we not doing more about the schedules?"

Harrison "That isn't the case. We are looking after the players individually (i.e. we are going to be put out weakened teams to accommodate the schedule)" But they will all still be available for selection for The Hundred as long as it doesn't clash with England.

So are each of the Indian players travelling back on their own individual planes? Because surely they are fearful that they might contract Covid in the confined space of a plane?
  • Options
    From what I've read, both physios are isolating. PCR tests taken today will return a result tomorrow for the players he treated. It leaves a tight window before the end of the Test to the next schedule (which is not meant to be a secret).

As the Sky crew have discussed, I very much doubt Kohli would have wanted the Series to end in this way. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    From what I've read, both physios are isolating. PCR tests taken today will return a result tomorrow for the players he treated. It leaves a tight window before the end of the Test to the next schedule (which is not meant to be a secret).

As the Sky crew have discussed, I very much doubt Kohli would have wanted the Series to end in this way. 
    But as Vaughan says:

If you go back to the start of the summer, the India team didn’t want to play this Test due to how close it was to the IPL. The difference between The Oval and this match is that the IPL starts next week. These players are absolutely petrified of getting Covid, having to isolate and missing out on the IPL.
  • Options
    I try not to listen to Vaughan much. Surprisingly, he shows different personas according to which media outlets and audience he is with. 
  • Options
    Trying to work out why there are no England Test matches in the seven weeks between 27th June and 17th August next year i.e. the height of the summer. Is there anything else going on during that time?  
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I try not to listen to Vaughan much. Surprisingly, he shows different personas according to which media outlets and audience he is with. 
    I don't disagree with that but my respect for Hussein similarly went downhill when he chose to stay with The Hundred rather than commentate on the Test matches going on at the same time. They are both trying to back the right horse at any given time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Trying to work out why there are no England Test matches in the seven weeks between 27th June and 17th August next year i.e. the height of the summer. Is there anything else going on during that time?  
    Hmmmmm, maybe the Hundred?
  • Options
    I haven't seen the new calendar but I guess that;s the slot for the 100 / ODI Cup. They're suggesting that India can play the test in that slot as they're over for ODI / T20 anyway.
    That schedule is truly pathetic! That is exactly when we should be having test cricket!
  • Options
    Twelve England matches, at ten venues against India and South Africa. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Yes, 2 series of white ball matches between the 1st July and the 31st July. The 100 will presumably then start in August
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Yes, 2 series of white ball matches between the 1st July and the 31st July. The 100 will presumably then start in August
    Four series
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Four series
    12 days out of 43
  • Options
    radio interview with the Old Trafford chief exec .. he's hired extra groundsmen, stewards, allocated refreshment licences etc etc .. who pays for all the lost revenue and income, does he have to pay some (or all) his staff for the 5 days ? .. the BCCI should cough up a tidy sum for this farce, BUT of course it's all Covid related and beyond their control
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Twelve days of white ball internationals over a period of 44 days. How many red ball games be it in the County Championship or Tests when we, historically, have the best weather? Never let it be said that we are trying to kill the longer form of the game.
    I honestly don't know, but I'm sure it can be looked up somewhere. 
  • Options
    radio interview with the Old Trafford chief exec .. he's hired extra groundsmen, stewards, allocated refreshment licences etc etc .. who pays for all the lost revenue and income, does he have to pay some (or all) his staff for the 5 days ? .. the BCCI should cough up a tidy sum for this farce, BUT of course it's all Covid related and beyond their control
    I don't think it's very kind to suggest that the BCCI should "cough up". 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    I don't disagree with that but my respect for Hussein similarly went downhill when he chose to stay with The Hundred rather than commentate on the Test matches going on at the same time. They are both trying to back the right horse at any given time.
    My understanding is that Colin Graves is (was) one of te main driving forces behind the Hundred. He is also a prominent figure in Yorkshire which might explain Vaughan's ambivalence to some extent.

I know he has become persona non grata but I'd like to hear Boycott's take on it all.
  • Options
    /Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Twelve days of white ball internationals over a period of 44 days. How many red ball games be it in the County Championship or Tests when we, historically, have the best weather? Never let it be said that we are trying to kill the longer form of the game.
    I honestly don't know, but I'm sure it can be looked up somewhere. 
    Well you know the answer to Test matches - zero!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Four series
    12 days out of 43
    I think twelve days of white ball internationals and thirty days of Test cricket across the Summer is probably about right, on balance. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Four series
    12 days out of 43
    I think twelve days of white ball internationals and thirty days of Test cricket across the Summer is probably about right, on balance. 
    You would. In the same way as you would think that all bar a couple of County Championship games being played in April/May/September is right. Because you love the shortest form of the game and if that has massive ramifications on Test cricket in terms of the production of players good enough to play 5 day cricket you aren't bothered. I get that. It's just some of us would prefer a more level playing field.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Four series
    12 days out of 43
    You would. In the same way as you would think that all bar a couple of County Championship games being played in April/May/September is right. Because you love the shortest form of the game and if that has massive ramifications on Test cricket in terms of the production of players good enough to play 5 day cricket you aren't bothered. I get that. It's just some of us would prefer a more level playing field.
    To be fair 6 T20s, 6 ODIS and 6 Tests is a reasonable split

I would question the timing of the matches though. Yet again we play NZ, the World Test Champions, in June, as if they were a second rate team. I'm not a fan also of these mini white ball series against countries, instead of a proper set of matches against one country. Instead of yet more matches against India, why not Tests, ODIs and T20s against NZ, with the Tests in July?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Four series
    12 days out of 43
    How many more Tests should England play next Summer in your view? 
  • Options
    If the covid outbreak was amongst the coaching staff and back room set up, why couldn’t India put a team out?

they should be heavily fined and next years 1 dayers should be given to Australia instead. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Four series
    12 days out of 43
    How many more Tests should England play next Summer in your view? 
    You are being, as usual, deliberately obtuse. It's not just the number. It's having them and the CC matches being played in optimum conditions for the completion and duration of matches as well as the development of red ball players.

Straight question that doesn't require a question to answer it: do you think a spin bowler will play more red ball matches and develop his game by playing in April/May and September or in July/August? 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Can't stand the bloke if I'm being honest, will crucify England after a bad day (inevitably in a terribly worded and punctuated tweet "!!!") and then sing their praises the day later after a better showing. Speaks as if he's never dropped a catch in his career either.
  • Options
    If the covid outbreak was amongst the coaching staff and back room set up, why couldn’t India put a team out?

they should be heavily fined and next years 1 dayers should be given to Australia instead. 
    Because the players "feared getting it". But they didn't have the same fear in the last Test because they weren't 2-1 up at the time and the IPL wasn't a week away