Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    Southbank said:
    Hands up all those who would wish to be judged, as adults, by things they said when they were 18.
    Exactly. 
  • Options
    So glad I didn't have social media when I was a teenager. Best we had to yahoo! pool and chatroom, everything went then!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    TBH I see this as the ECB wanting to be seen to be doing something and covering their arses because their media and comms team should have been all over this when he got his first call up a year ago.
    agreed, BUT on the other hand, if his disgraceful, pernicious, racist, sexist, fascist (LOL) views had been discovered prior to his selection, he would NEVER EVER have been selected or even considered come hell or high water ((:>)

On the cricket front, at least Sibley has batted himself into some semblance of form. Let' hope Bracey, Crawley and Lawrence can do likewise before the summer is over
  • Options
    Hands up who would wish to run a socially responsible, inclusive organisation and wants cabinet ministers tweeting about the due diligence the personnel department undertakes. 

The ECB are taking appropriate, swift action, in the absence of even more appropriate, even swifter action they should have taken.  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Chizz said:
    Question for students of the game.  

Law 41.7.1 Any delivery, which passes or would have passed, without pitching, above waist height of the striker standing upright at the popping crease, is unfair. Whenever such a delivery is bowled, the umpire shall call and signal No ball. 

Why do the umpires (usually the square leg umpire)  'guess' whether the ball would have passed above waist height of the striker, when the DRS ball tracking would be able to tell them precisely, accurately and without question?  Each player's waist height could be calibrated pre-match, so as to avoid any guessing whatsoever. 
    It's not a guess, it is "in their opinion" which is all that matters. And it is the bowler's end umpire who makes the call (although often with the confirmation or advice of square leg).

The "waist" has been lowered recently - it used to be belly button, but is now trouser tops. :-)
    'In their opinion' is not part of Law 41.7.1.  Often, when there's a full toss that is roughly waist height, they go to a DRS camera angle, but with no supporting ball-tracking data.  The question is, why not? 
    You are correct, but the wording (which is actually "if the umpire considers") is mentioned several times within this part of the laws, and you need to read the whole of law 41.7 to get full context.

Also, please do not think that test matches are played simply to the laws of the game.  There are a host of "Regulations" that each side (and the ICC) agree to prior to the start of each series, and that will drive the "regs" regarding use of DRS etc and what it can be used for.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Chizz said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Chizz said:

Law 41.7.1 Any delivery, which passes or would have passed, without pitching, above waist height of the striker standing upright at the popping crease, is unfair. Whenever such a delivery is bowled, the umpire shall call and signal No ball. 

Why do the umpires (usually the square leg umpire)  'guess' whether the ball would have passed above waist height of the striker, when the DRS ball tracking would be able to tell them precisely, accurately and without question?  Each player's waist height could be calibrated pre-match, so as to avoid any guessing whatsoever. 
    It's not a guess, it is "in their opinion" which is all that matters. And it is the bowler's end umpire who makes the call (although often with the confirmation or advice of square leg).

The "waist" has been lowered recently - it used to be belly button, but is now trouser tops. :-)
    'In their opinion' is not part of Law 41.7.1.  Often, when there's a full toss that is roughly waist height, they go to a DRS camera angle, but with no supporting ball-tracking data.  The question is, why not? 
    You are correct, but the wording (which is actually "if the umpire considers") is mentioned several times within this part of the laws, and you need to read the whole of law 41.7 to get full context.

Also, please do not think that test matches are played simply to the laws of the game.  There are a host of "Regulations" that each side (and the ICC) agree to prior to the start of each series, and that will drive the "regs" regarding use of DRS etc and what it can be used for.
    Why isn't DRS and ball tracking used? 
  • Options
    If you punish Robinson in this situation it sends out the message that redemption from something you did as a teenager 9 years ago is not possible and you have to stand by that and be punished for it at 27, that is not a sensible message, what motive is there to try and change and broaden your outlook if you will still be judged by past actions. 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    So glad I didn't have social media when I was a teenager. Best we had to yahoo! pool and chatroom, everything went then!
    I wouldn’t have survived mate! I dread to think some of the stuff I would have put out as I had no boundaries (no pun intended), when I was a teenager.

i firmly believe that social media etiquette should be part of the national curriculum.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Hands up who would wish to run a socially responsible, inclusive organisation and wants cabinet ministers tweeting about the due diligence the personnel department undertakes. 

The ECB are taking appropriate predictable, cowardly swift action, after the event, having been caught with their trousers down yet again in the absence of giving a fuck about anything they're not specifically paid to do, without a word on the obvious simple action they should have taken weeks if not months ago.  
    Joe Root had learned his script parrot fashion for the post match media obligation and was grateful indeed to have a distraction from the pathetic batting performances, patchy bowling, halfwit selection and utterly gutless opting out of making a game of it - it didn't even count towards the "Test Championship" bollocks and was thus a free hit. 

And as usual the only casualty here is a slice out of England's very slim chance of winning the next match.

In the event ECB had done its (any) due diligence as soon as Robinson was considered for selection, cleaned up his social media history (a facile and no cost process) OR's dreadful teenage outpourings would never have made the light of day.  OR is due an almighty bollocking of course, for having been a monumental fuckwit.  Those views and attitudes are reprehensible, only slightly less palatable than the scum dredging parasite who spent the time to rake it all up.
  • Options
    Has someone actually trawled through 9 years worth of social media posts to get that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc999 said:
    Has someone actually trawled through 9 years worth of social media posts to get that?
    Very easy to dig up old tweets. Just search the person's @ and x, y, z particular keyword that you're looking for.

Not denying it's still weird but not nearly as time consuming as you might imagine.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Very easy to dig up old tweets. Just search the person's @ and x, y, z particular keyword that you're looking for.

Not denying it's still weird but not nearly as time consuming as you might imagine.
    How sad must you be to do that?
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

How sad must you be to do that?
    Tabloid journalist sad. 
  • Options
    It doesn't feel like there's any great clamour for Robinson to be banned but the ECB don't seem able to backtrack without losing face (the PM and Tory ministers haven't helped in that regard) so he'll have to miss a minimum of one Test. It's a really odd case.
  • Options
    Presumably politicians will be getting suspended next along with reality stars etc...
  • Options
    It doesn't feel like there's any great clamour for Robinson to be banned but the ECB don't seem able to backtrack without losing face (the PM and Tory ministers haven't helped in that regard) so he'll have to miss a minimum of one Test. It's a really odd case.
    Once the ECB announced they were suspending him, it would have been impossible to backtrack anyway.
  • Options
    England have called up Dom Bess as a replacement. That'll give Conway restless nights before the 2nd test
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Chizz said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Chizz said:

Why isn't DRS and ball tracking used? 
    I don't know but it probably hasn't been agreed in the regs.
  • Options
    If you punish Robinson in this situation it sends out the message that redemption from something you did as a teenager 9 years ago is not possible and you have to stand by that and be punished for it at 27, that is not a sensible message, what motive is there to try and change and broaden your outlook if you will still be judged by past actions. 
    Well put.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does make me laugh.
    Yet if we had a 17/18 year old Charlton fan making the same tweets in 2021 we would be call ing for him to be banned from the ground for life

• Options
    edited June 2021
    If every cricketer who said something as a teenager gets banned there won't be many players left. I'm sure a whole host of racist, sexist, homophobic comments may have been made out of ignorance.
  • Options
    If every cricketer who said something as a teenager gets banned there won't be many players left. I'm sure a whole host of racist, sexist, homophobic comments may have been made out of ignorance.
    And football dressing rooms won’t be squeaky clean either. 
  • Options
    No-one. Has. Been. Banned. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    No-one. Has. Been. Banned. 
    Suspension subject to a disciplinary inquiry - there may be a ban. It's much easier to trace stuff now so it will open possibly a lot of cases.

I'm assuming anything 18+ will be treated as an adult. 

Yorkshire currently has an ongoing racism case being investigated but they've hardly progressed it with any urgency.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    And football dressing rooms won’t be squeaky clean either. 

Or the House Of Commons
  • Options
    Several England players past tweets are now being scrutinised.

The ECB have dug themselves a huge hole here
  • Options
    Let he who is without swing... 
  • Options
    moving the conversation away from historic tweets to actual cricket  (or the lack of.....)

Just looked at the England fixture list for this summer.

No Test matches during July  AT ALL.........and we only have TWO in June, the last one finishing 5 days before the summer solstice. However in July we do have 5 one-dayers & 3 20/20 matches though - which is useful as 40 overs must be a bind to get in during 15 hours of daylight !!!.  This is during the height of summer.

But then we do have a 5 match Test series against India starting in August, with 2 of them in September. The last one starting on the 10th, therefore likely to finish slap bang in the middle of the month. 

How come we now don't play Test matches during summer, when the days are longer & (usually) the weather in better, but in Autumn.

Bonkers. absolutely bonkers.
    We didn't qualify for the final of the World Test Championship