Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The cancelled game thread (due to Covid)

Comments

• Options
    clb74 said:
    Spurs v villa off 
    Spurs now play Fulham 
    And Fulham's game vs Chelsea is put back from Friday to Saturday!

Interesting choice by Fulham to accept this game, as it means having to play Spurs at fairly short notice and then Chelsea 3 days later
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Spurs v villa off 
    Spurs now play Fulham 

Interesting choice by Fulham to accept this game, as it means having to play Spurs at fairly short notice and then Chelsea 3 days later
    Doesnt sound like they had much choice

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-premier-league-fixture-tottenham-23297391
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Spurs v villa off 
    Spurs now play Fulham 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-premier-league-fixture-tottenham-23297391
    Tough on Fulham, you imagine that they would have had the week's recovery and training all mapped out
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Spurs v villa off 
    Spurs now play Fulham 

Only fair I'd say. They did call off the game against Spurs late on & it angered Mourinho at the time. Can't have it both ways.
  • Options

The Premier League says 36 players and club staff have tested positive during the latest rounds of testing for Covid-19.

The league conducted 2,593 tests across two rounds over the past week.

Between 4 and 7 January there were 27 new positive tests and nine more were found during testing between 8 and 10 January.

The number is a slight decrease on the 40 positive tests following last week's rounds of testing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55624533

• Options
    Full EFL testing starts this week.

Given the Premier League have been testing regularly and are still finding so many cases you would imagine testing 3 x as many clubs, some of which haven’t done any/only limited testing up until now - will result in a large number of positive tests.
  • Options
    BBC indicating that all Scottish football below Scottish Championship cancelled for three weeks. How much longer before something similar comes to England?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55616399
    A 3 week break would do us a favour at the moment 
  • Options
    I think all football in England should be stopped. I know its a welcome distraction but is it essential? 
    Clubs and players are flouting rules clearly and not even hiding it.
    It's a smack in the face to all of us that are following rules and missing out on so much more than football. 
  • Options
    You mean we haven't just had it ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You mean we haven't just had it ?
    Bowyer can work on our shape ....
  • Options
    I think all football in England should be stopped. I know its a welcome distraction but is it essential? 
    It's a smack in the face to all of us that are following rules and missing out on so much more than football. 
    Plenty of people in all walks of life are flouting the rules. It’s been a handful of footballers. They should be fined, and football carries on as normal. For me, and I’d imagine hundreds of thousands of other people, having the football to watch is the only thing interesting happening.
    But it is not a handful as you say. Celtic as one example as a whole club have really taken the piss. About 30/40 flying off to Dubai for an essential training camp? Takes the piss out of all of the people staying home.
    And it will continue as footballers don't give a toss about fines.
    If it carries on then why should we follow rules? 
    I just think if it was all stopped for a while people may realise its serious...like they did in the spring.

• Options
    Plenty of people in all walks of life are flouting the rules. It’s been a handful of footballers. They should be fined, and football carries on as normal. For me, and I’d imagine hundreds of thousands of other people, having the football to watch is the only thing interesting happening.
    But it is not a handful as you say. Celtic as one example as a whole club have really taken the piss. About 30/40 flying off to Dubai for an essential training camp? Takes the piss out of all of the people staying home.
    I just think if it was all stopped for a while people may realise its serious...like they did in the spring.

You are aware that Glasgow isn’t in England?!

😉
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    There is a big difference between footballers plying their trade (and possibly passing Covid unknowingly due to being asymptomatic) and footballers meeting up over xmas or having parties. The first is totally legal & the other is not. 

By all means fine players 10's of thousands for breaking lockdown rules, but Elite sport (imo) should be allowed to continue.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

You are aware that Glasgow isn’t in England?!

😉
    I am 😀 but I think Nicola in Scotland is a bit stricter than this country and she may stop all footie after that.
    I think in England we will carry on flouting rules because "every one else does "

• Options
    There is a big difference between footballers plying their trade (and possibly passing Covid unknowingly due to being asymptomatic) and footballers meeting up over xmas or having parties. The first is totally legal & the other is not. 

By all means fine players 10's of thousands for breaking lockdown rules, but Elite sport (imo) should be allowed to continue.
    Would a player care if he's fined 10, 20 30 grand? Even a 100 grand fine is a weeks wage for some players they will not care. 
    Meanwhile my parents have not seen there grandkids for months as we follow the "rules". 
    Sorry it has become a joke and I don't see why elite sport is more important than family 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55611659

Embarrassing...

Celtic have confirmed that one player has coronavirus - less than 48 hours after the squad returned from a controversial training trip to Dubai.
    Nicola Sturgeon will not be happy.
    Is she ever?
  • Options

Players should be banned by the Premier league for breaking lockdown rules. If it leads to games being called off and affecting the league then ban them. 
  • Options

Players should be banned by the Premier league for breaking lockdown rules. If it leads to games being called off and affecting the league then ban them. 
    Agree, Eze should be banned for six matches for turning up at QPR on Saturday.

I'd also ban Zaha for the rest of the season for passing to him in the previous game.
  • Options
    Good debate on talkSPORT about all the cancelled games. One caller made a point that crickets are being kept in a bubble and we professional football should now be like the World Cup where the majority of games are played once every 3 days and the players stay in a hotel all together and only go out to the training ground. If crickets can do it why can’t footballers. As at this rate the season won’t finish till July! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good debate on talkSPORT about all the cancelled games. One caller made a point that crickets are being kept in a bubble and we professional football should now be like the World Cup where the majority of games are played once every 3 days and the players stay in a hotel all together and only go out to the training ground. If crickets can do it why can’t footballers. As at this rate the season won’t finish till July! 
    You would need to do it for the players and the coaching staff which, at Premier League clubs and some richer championship teams, is a huge number of people. World Cups are fine because you only play about 4 games on average (less if you’re Scotland), a Premier League team probably plays about 50 matches a year.

They did it in the NBA for the playoffs and it worked well, but couldn’t do it for the NFL where there are significantly larger numbers of squads and coaches 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    You would need to do it for the players and the coaching staff which, at Premier League clubs and some richer championship teams, is a huge number of people. World Cups are fine because you only play about 4 games on average (less if you’re Scotland), a Premier League team probably plays about 50 matches a year.

They did it in the NBA for the playoffs and it worked well, but couldn’t do it for the NFL where there are significantly larger numbers of squads and coaches 
    Yeah I get that but maybe an idea towards the end of the year but again we don’t want our England players getting injured due to a completion like end to the season. Just thought it was an interesting idea. Think it could work in the prem and championship in the latter stages. Just think there will be loads of empty hotels and complexes. So might be too difficult but in league 1 and lower where there’s loads of games to go I don’t think there’s enough money too. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    They should also consider scrapping the 2 legged CL and Europa ties like they did last season and avoid teams flying back and forth across Europe. It's surely going to cause problems given some countries have travel bans.

Just scrap the 2 legged midweek ties, try to finish leagues earlier, then do the knockout ties over 2 weeks at the end of May.
  • Options
    Brentford postpone their next 2 matches, Bristol City and Reading.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I think people are being too pessimistic with talk of cancelling the season etc.
    We will hopefully be over the worst of the UK Covid crisis by the end of February and we've not had many postponements due to weather.
    I can recall many past seasons when games were postponed due to frozen/flooded pitches for weeks on end.
  • Options

Fulham manager Scott Parker says it is "scandalous" Wednesday's match against Tottenham was only confirmed on Monday.

The Premier League game was originally scheduled for 30 December but was postponed at short notice because of a coronavirus outbreak at Fulham and was rescheduled after Spurs' match at Aston Villa was postponed.

"I am angry because it is not right. It is wrong. That is why I am so angry," said Parker.

"The possibility of playing Spurs on Wednesday came on Saturday.

"We didn't think that was realistic and we were informed Monday morning at 9:30. To confirm that on Monday morning is scandalous. I accept we have to play the game, but it's the notice."

Parker, whose side are 18th in the Premier League, said he spent "numerous hours on Sunday trying to explain it wasn't feasible" after being told the game may be rearranged for Wednesday.

"The people making these decisions don't understand players. We have had it tough. We thought they had six days' recovery time. It is madness really," he said.

"Getting a game called off two hours or 48 hours before is irrelevant. That is disappointing. To have a game agreed at 48 hours' notice, Jose will know you plan for one game or the other. Tottenham knew they had a fixture. He will have planned for that with his team selection.

"Would this have happened with two of the biggest teams in a title clash? Probably not. This is not acceptable."

Mourinho said the Premier League's decision to rearrange their game with Fulham for Wednesday is a "positive" solution.

"The biggest impact is to have matches postponed," he said.

"The changing of the order of the matches, the impact is minimal because in the end you have to play 19 matches at home and away, you have to play two matches against every team.

"If it is to help the Premier League to go and end properly, I think it is a solution we all have to accept as a positive."

Can understand Parker's viewpoint here, he'd probably have selected a completely different lineup for their game at the weekend if he'd known they had a game tonight. 

Also no wonder Mourinho is happy, they had a tricky game at Villa now changed to Fulham at home. I doubt he would be quite so positive about this had the PL given them a rearranged game away at Man City or Liverpool.

• Options
    Fair enough Fulham play tomorrow.
    But tell every team this might be the case and they might only get  2 days notice.
  • Options
    The premier league and Efl have had months to come up with a set of rules for this season and they haven't.
    This is part of the reason I think this season is a farce.
  • Options

Fulham manager Scott Parker says it is "scandalous" Wednesday's match against Tottenham was only confirmed on Monday.

The Premier League game was originally scheduled for 30 December but was postponed at short notice because of a coronavirus outbreak at Fulham and was rescheduled after Spurs' match at Aston Villa was postponed.

"I am angry because it is not right. It is wrong. That is why I am so angry," said Parker.

"We didn't think that was realistic and we were informed Monday morning at 9:30. To confirm that on Monday morning is scandalous. I accept we have to play the game, but it's the notice."

Parker, whose side are 18th in the Premier League, said he spent "numerous hours on Sunday trying to explain it wasn't feasible" after being told the game may be rearranged for Wednesday.

"The people making these decisions don't understand players. We have had it tough. We thought they had six days' recovery time. It is madness really," he said.

"Getting a game called off two hours or 48 hours before is irrelevant. That is disappointing. To have a game agreed at 48 hours' notice, Jose will know you plan for one game or the other. Tottenham knew they had a fixture. He will have planned for that with his team selection.

"Would this have happened with two of the biggest teams in a title clash? Probably not. This is not acceptable."

Mourinho said the Premier League's decision to rearrange their game with Fulham for Wednesday is a "positive" solution.

"The changing of the order of the matches, the impact is minimal because in the end you have to play 19 matches at home and away, you have to play two matches against every team.

"If it is to help the Premier League to go and end properly, I think it is a solution we all have to accept as a positive."

Can understand Parker's viewpoint here, he'd probably have selected a completely different lineup for their game at the weekend if he'd known they had a game tonight. 

Also no wonder Mourinho is happy, they had a tricky game at Villa now changed to Fulham at home. I doubt he would be quite so positive about this had the PL given them a rearranged game away at Man City or Liverpool.

Whingeing git. Tough Scotty. Perhaps if you hadn't have pisssed us all off 15 years ago then we might have sympathy. Karma.
  • Options

It's not right, as manager pick teams, especially for cup games, with an eye on following league fixtures

If you have a blank week you'll pick a different team to if you have a midweek fixture