Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who should go

Comments

• Options
    If I was Ben Amos I would be knocking on the gaffers door. Loyal servant to the club who has bided his time to get where he is and then Maatsen bowls in on loan and lets face does fuck all and is earning more than double.
    How much do you think he's earning at Chelsea?

Bet its a LOT more than £8k
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    That's the difference between playing for a Premier League academy and a L1 team though. The amount listed might be Maatsen's Chelsea salary, I doubt we're paying all of it, especially given the fact the cap was in place when the deal was agreed. Amos was apparently on £16,000 a week at Bolton, he knows a thing or two abut being on more money and he came to us for less to rebuild his career. I think he's probably quite content at the moment.
  • Options
    If I was Ben Amos I would be knocking on the gaffers door. Loyal servant to the club who has bided his time to get where he is and then Maatsen bowls in on loan and lets face does fuck all and is earning more than double.
    If I was Amos I'd keep my head down at the moment given how many goals he's shipping in currently.

Maatsen was always gonna be a top earner given where he's on loan from, suspect half the Chelsea Youth team get more than our top earners
  • Options

I think that is his Chelsea Salary, I do not believe the sums shown have been adjusted for the salary % we are paying. 
  • Options

Not really the point though is it, if I were Amos and some of the other players on the list I would be pissed off. Not the fault of the players, it is football in general.

To put it in context imagine working for a company for a number of years and then they introduced a new team member who is doing the same job as you (playing in the first team in this case) and you find out he is earning more than double what you earn.
  • Options
    If I was Amos I'd keep my head down at the moment given how many goals he's shipping in currently.

Maatsen was always gonna be a top earner given where he's on loan from, suspect half the Chelsea Youth team get more than our top earners
    The goals we are shipping are not down to keeper errors, it is the crap defence in front of him and piss poor management decisions.
  • Options

Not really the point though is it, if I were Amos and some of the other players on the list I would be pissed off. Not the fault of the players, it is football in general.

To put it in context imagine working for a company for a number of years and then they introduced a new team member who is doing the same job as you (playing in the first team in this case) and you find out he is earning more than double what you earn.
    I think you are right, but that is football, and that is probably why many footballers are such disloyal money grabbers. 
  • Options

If you take it in the context you’ve mentioned, then Maatsen would be a consultant coming on for a limited time to help the company. Those type of people usually get paid large amounts. From my experience, more than those working full time in the company. 
  • Options

I see what you're saying, but how much is YOUR employer paying him towards that total, I can't imagine we're paying more than 35%-50%
  • Options

Unfortunately its how Chelsea and Man City have two of the strongest Academies in the world now because they offer wages that most teams cant / wont offer kids.

As Dazzler says; Amos coming from Man Utd will be fully aware of how it works on the grand scheme of things and am sure those who havent been at a big club academy wont be ignorant of it either.

Like you say though it doesnt make it right and is probably one of the fundamental issues within the Sport - How many kids have been happy just going out on loan from Chelsea etc. every year because they know they're getting a tidy wage from their parent club, rather than cutting ties and trying to get some stability and so create something for themselves. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If you take it in the context you’ve mentioned, then Maatsen would be a consultant coming on for a limited time to help the company. Those type of people usually get paid large amounts. From my experience, more than those working full time in the company. 
    I quite agree, but having had a huge amount of experience dealing with outside consultants my interpretation is they are used for their expertise and the fact nobody in the company can do the work they do. So in other words they offer a lot.

Maatsen offers nothing, he has gone backwards since joining us. 
  • Options
    This is the list of players that should STAY for next season in league one 

AMB 
    Gunter
    Inniss
    Purrington 
    Shinnie
    JFC
    Gilbey
    DJ
    Aneke 
    Ronnie S
    Davison ? 50/50 
  • Options

The goals we are shipping are not down to keeper errors, it is the crap defence in front of him and piss poor management decisions.
    Kind of agree, but surely the keeper has to take some blame - he's let in a fair few from distance
  • Options

Kind of agree, but surely the keeper has to take some blame - he's let in a fair few from distance
    Its been well documented on here the "worldys" we are conceding are down to defenders backing off and inviting attackers to have a go. Yes, the odd one is going to be unstoppable, but in general it is poor defending. 
  • Options

Amos seems to concede from long range shots nearly every game at the moment. 
    Not a good time to be asking for a  pay rise. 
  • Options

Unfortunately its how Chelsea and Man City have two of the strongest Academies in the world now because they offer wages that most teams cant / wont offer kids.

As Dazzler says; Amos coming from Man Utd will be fully aware of how it works on the grand scheme of things and am sure those who havent been at a big club academy wont be ignorant of it either.

Like you say though it doesnt make it right and is probably one of the fundamental issues within the Sport - How many kids have been happy just going out on loan from Chelsea etc. every year because they know they're getting a tidy wage from their parent club, rather than cutting ties and trying to get some stability and so create something for themselves. 
    How many of these kids at Chelsea and City make it all the way to the first team? Foden, Mount, James, Gilmour off the top of my head.

How many will have careers where they'll be continually on loan and never play for the parent club?

Piazon recently for Chelsea, been there 10 years never played in the first team and had numerous loans.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

How many of these kids at Chelsea and City make it all the way to the first team? Foden, Mount, James, Gilmour off the top of my head.

How many will have careers where they'll be continually on loan and never play for the parent club?

Piazon recently for Chelsea, been there 10 years never played in the first team and had numerous loans.
    Piazon is a great example of what I meant in my third paragraph - Got to wonder if he would have done better had he left sooner and settled for a few years at one club as he'd have had more stability.
  • Options

If defenders back off, open the door and invite the opposition to shoot what do you expect. He cannot keep them all out.
  • Options
    ....he doesn't keep any of them out ;)

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Just a reminder from our first team squad we may not have a say on whether the following stay:

Amos
    Matthews
    Oshilaja
    Pearce
    Pratley
    Watson
    Shinnie
    F.Caskey
    Aneke

• Sponsored links:

• Options

If defenders back off, open the door and invite the opposition to shoot what do you expect. He cannot keep them all out.
    Keep them all out.

He ain't keeping any out.
  • Options
    Been mentioned many times on here that Watson was one of our bigger earners.

Is he worth £5,500 a week, with a salary cap? No chance.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Chelsea actually have Mount, James, Gilmour, Hudson-Odoi and Abraham. Plus Tomori who is on loan at Milan
    City have Foden, Garcia, Doyle, Palmer and Delap who have all made first team appearances. The last three named are only 18/19

As evidenced by how many of their players are out on loan they do have one hell of a big pool to pick from. In Chelsea's case though they actually went a decade with only John Terry coming through their academy - and still had the largest number of kids on loan in Europe!  
  • Options
    Blimey, no wonder so many players go bankrupt and/or get divorced after they stop playing.

If the contracts for some of those guys earning £250k aren't renewed at the end of the season, it must be "difficult" to go from that sort of money to nothing overnight.

Anyone know if footballers can still draw on their pension at 35 like they used to be able to? Or are they not allowed to draw on it until they are 60 like the rest of the population?

• Options
    This is the list of players that should STAY for next season in league one 

AMB 
    Gunter
    Inniss
    Purrington 
    Shinnie
    JFC
    Gilbey
    DJ
    Aneke 
    Ronnie S
    Davison ? 50/50 
    Probably about right
  • Options
    Blimey, no wonder so many players go bankrupt and/or get divorced after they stop playing.

If the contracts for some of those guys earning £250k aren't renewed at the end of the season, it must be "difficult" to go from that sort of money to nothing overnight.

Anyone know if footballers can still draw on their pension at 35 like they used to be able to? Or are they not allowed to draw on it until they are 60 like the rest of the population?

Footballers are now allowed draw their pension at 55, like most private pensions.
  • Options

I took it as that was his wage at Chelsea.  If we are paying a teenage left back £8k a week we deserve everything we get. 
  • Options

I quite agree, but having had a huge amount of experience dealing with outside consultants my interpretation is they are used for their expertise and the fact nobody in the company can do the work they do. So in other words they offer a lot.

Maatsen offers nothing, he has gone backwards since joining us. 
    It happens to the best of em, Charltonised :)
  • Options
    clive said:

Footballers are now allowed draw their pension at 55, like most private pensions.
    Thanks. I thought that things might have changed and that was now the case.

So at 35, you might be earning £250k a year. Contract ends and you're on nothing. Hopefully, the more sensible ones will have put shed loads away for retirement but it's still a long time from 35 to 55 before they can draw a pension.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I took it as that was his wage at Chelsea.  If we are paying a teenage left back £8k a week we deserve everything we get. 
    Quick google search says Maatsen earns £10k per week at Chelsea. Obviously no idea if that’s factually correct. If it is true, I can’t imagine we’d have agreed to pay £8k of his £10k wage.