Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Crisps (and similar snacks)

Comments

• James86 said:
    se9addick said:
    James86 said:
    I’m a bit of a crisp monster. Dread to say how many bags I eat a day. 4 bags with lunch, couple more when I finish work, then a couple more after dinner. We buy the multipack box of Walkers once a week and top up with share size bags.Got to be Walkers Cheese & Onion for me though. Followed by BBQ Hula Hoops. Never like Smokey Bacon. Always repeat on me. 
    You don’t genuinely eat eight packets of crisps a day do you? Think you may need to go to rehab if you do!
    Genuinely do. Minimum 5 a day. It’s a terrible addiction I know. 1 bag just doesn’t hit the spot in a sitting. Crisp sandwich can’t be beaten either. Crisps any day over chocolate/sweets. 
    Does the 86 in your username stand for how many stones you weigh?!

I love crisps, could eat them all day, but restrict myself to one packet a day. 

I like supermarket own brand salt & vinegar or meat flavours, Tesco are pretty good. I miss Walkers Worcester Sauce, gutted they have disappeared.

And to whoever mentioned Twiglets, start another thread. They are not a crisp! 
  • Have Tyrells been mentioned yet?  
  • Wilma said:
    James86 said:
    se9addick said:
    James86 said:
    I’m a bit of a crisp monster. Dread to say how many bags I eat a day. 4 bags with lunch, couple more when I finish work, then a couple more after dinner. We buy the multipack box of Walkers once a week and top up with share size bags.Got to be Walkers Cheese & Onion for me though. Followed by BBQ Hula Hoops. Never like Smokey Bacon. Always repeat on me. 
    You don’t genuinely eat eight packets of crisps a day do you? Think you may need to go to rehab if you do!
    Genuinely do. Minimum 5 a day. It’s a terrible addiction I know. 1 bag just doesn’t hit the spot in a sitting. Crisp sandwich can’t be beaten either. Crisps any day over chocolate/sweets. 

I like supermarket own brand salt & vinegar or meat flavours, Tesco are pretty good. I miss Walkers Worcester Sauce, gutted they have disappeared.

They are still around, but many years ago Walkers started to regionalise distribution, as certain flavours sell better in different parts of the country. So go up to Scotland and there will be plenty of Worcester Sauce and Pickled Onion, because they sell there....
  • Wilma said:
    James86 said:
    se9addick said:
    James86 said:

They are still around, but many years ago Walkers started to regionalise distribution, as certain flavours sell better in different parts of the country. So go up to Scotland and there will be plenty of Worcester Sauce and Pickled Onion, because they sell there....
    I got some Walkers Pickled Onion in Poundland late last year, so fingers crossed that some Worcester Sauce make it this far south at some point as I'm not sure travelling to Scotland will count as an "essential journey"! 
  • Wilma said:
    Wilma said:
    James86 said:
    se9addick said:
    James86 said:

I got some Walkers Pickled Onion in Poundland late last year, so fingers crossed that some Worcester Sauce make it this far south at some point as I'm not sure travelling to Scotland will count as an "essential journey"! 
    food shopping is essential - I'm sure you'd get away with it..
  • edited January 2021
    Some that I used to love at school, Pickled onion or beef space raiders. Quarterbacks cheeseburger flavour were great too.

When I was last in Cyprus I was munching on Oregano Lays crisps which were awesome.

Also like the max crisps over here Paprika and the spicy chicken wings ones. Cheese and onion and ready salted crisps just dont do it for me.
  • Nicholas said:
    Some that I used to love at school, Pickled onion or beef space raiders. Quarterbacks cheeseburger flavour were great too.

When I was last in Cyprus I was munching on Oregano Lays crisps which were awesome.

Also like the max crisps over here Paprika and the spicy chicken wings ones. Cheese and onion and ready salted crisps just dont do it for me.
    Paprika Max ones are a good shout.

Any paprika crisps are usually class.
  • Wilma said:
    Wilma said:
    James86 said:
    se9addick said:
    James86 said:

Just go as far as Sheffield and get Hendersons crisps, basically the same thing, despite what they go on about.
  • Razzles and pickled monster munch are two favourites when younger. Now I just go for Walkers baked cheese & onion. 
  • Sponsored links:

• walkers jalapeño and cheese with a beer

skips as a snack if I’m out and about

salt and vinegar with lunch. golden wonder tasted so good as a kid but taste so cheap now. Disco’s are underrated, squares are overrated
  • Nicholas said:

They sold Wasabi Max Crisps for a while. They are so more'ish its a joke. Go down awesome with a cold beer.
  • Over xmas when Asda were doing Pringles at £1.25 a tube I got rather partial to the Barbecue ones.

wrt usual bags of crisps - can't beat Walkers Worcester Sauce flavour 
  • In the early 80's the ice cream van used to sell Haggis flavour. I can't remember the brand but I am sure they were in a tartan bag. They were great.
    These are my favourites but never seen them south of the border
  • Brannigans Roast Beef and Mustard... Those were fantastic. 

Shame is that Brannigan's Crisps no longer exist.
  • charltonJ said:
    King crisps from Ireland. Cheese and onion, honestly can't be beaten. 
    You are clearly a well educated person, as you are correct!
    These are the Rolls Royce of crisps and back in the day were head and shoulders above that ‘other’ Irish brand.

Sadly, I believe they are both now made in the same place 😞 But my heart still belongs to King. Just wish I could still get a Cavan Cola to go with them!
  • Back in the 80’s, when supping ale at the Railway in Rape n Pillage, I was partial to a bag of chilli McKoys.
    Happy days 😎
  • Great thread. Can’t quite get my head around Crispy James eating 50+ bags a week!

clear split between crisps and snacks. This thread has made me realise there is not a crisp or snack I don’t like, just different levels of how much.

Pickled Onion Monster Munch were my underage smoking masker, a bag to eat and a bag to crush around my fingers, so great to hear them get a mention.

Favourite crisps

Tyrell cider vinegar 
    Kettle sour cream and chilli
    Doritos chilli heatwave
    McCoys Salt n vinegar
    Doritos tangy cheese
    Tyrell veg crisps

Best snacks

Nice n Spicy / Rib Nic Nacs
    Snactastic Salt n Vinegar (the Lidl / Aldi rip off Pringles that are thicker)
    Propercorn Sweet n Salty
    Bugles
    Quavers
    Skips
    Cheesy footballs
    Pringles Texas BBQ / Paprika / Sour cream

picked up the ‘wrong’ 25 bag multi bag of Walkers before Xmas and forgot how much I enjoyed Smokey Bacon  

• charltonJ said:
    King crisps from Ireland. Cheese and onion, honestly can't be beaten. 
    they can by tatyo!!!

ready salted are my go to. 
    yep but is it the protestant tayto or the catholic tayto that is the best!!!!
  • edited January 2021
    Walkers pulled a master stroke with the big bags of spicy mixups.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    Walkers pulled a master stroke with the big bags of spicy mixups.

I was about to mention mixed bags, they used to substitute meals for me when backpacking but I've only seen them recently in the UK.

Weirdest flavours I've had abroad are crab curry, seaweed, and peanut butter, all pretty good actually.

McCoy's Thai sweet chicken are my favourite though.
  • If we're drifting as far as popcorn etc, got to mention cheese twists (and sour cream and onion twists etc).

Amazingly moreish.
  • Pedantic point:-

Only a sliced potato that has been fried can be described as a crisp (an abbreviated form of Potato Crisp).

Anything that is reconstituted, extruded or fundamentally doesn't come from a potato is a snack.

A Pringle is not a crisp, a Wotsit is not a crisp, Monster Munch are not crisps, they are snacks.

The thread should be re-titled Crisps and Snacks.
    What about vegetable crisps? You can make crisps with beetroot, carrots and parsnips. It doesn't have to be potatoes.
    Good point, I will allow Vegetable Crisps to be called "crisps" within this discussion.

I doubt, however, anyone likes them. 

;) 
    I do  :D
  • These are so moreish too:

My grandchildren love them ... must admit they are moreish 
  • Another shout out to Brannigan beef & mustard!

my top 3 currently are

• When I was a kid many years ago I used to love Smiths Crisps with the little blue bag inside.
    Now my favorites are Kettle Crisps, preferably ready salted.

Think on this my crisp addicted lifers.
    After many years of restricting my intake of the lovely snacks, i've been recently told by a nurse to make salty crisps part of my diet as my body is having problems retaining salt.
    I am restricting myself to one small bag, two on the odd occasion, well two on most occasions actually.
  • Pint of lager, packet of crisps and a table to sit around with a couple of mates to talk shit and put the world to rights. 

I fucking miss it
    Yes, get a few different flavours, open them up in the middle and mix and match. Salt and Vinegar with Cheese and Onion is a nice combination. 
  • I love crisps and have to avoid buying them as they can get demolished in no time; especially when you can pick up those big multipacks.....If I buy Quavers or Wotsits then they aren't going to last long.

Haven't seen Seabrooks mentioned; the crinkle cut sea salted ones are really top class.  They are northern, but you can get them down here if you know where to look.  As mentioned above, Walkers ready salted are also pretty damn good and under-rated.  I think a lot of posh, hand cooked, expensive crisps can be pretty over-rated when compared to some of the more basic types.

I have gone off 'flavoured' crisp varieties as I have become older, although I do really rate bacon flavour wheat crunchies and salt and vinegar Square Crisps/Discos.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm crisps!  Must try and eat some proper food instead - they're not going to help you control your weight and they can be really bad for your dental health, but we all need some from time to time - they can be one of life's simple pleasures!

*heads to cupboard*
  • Great thread. Can’t quite get my head around Crispy James eating 50+ bags a week!

clear split between crisps and snacks. This thread has made me realise there is not a crisp or snack I don’t like, just different levels of how much.

Pickled Onion Monster Munch were my underage smoking masker, a bag to eat and a bag to crush around my fingers, so great to hear them get a mention.

Favourite crisps

Tyrell cider vinegar 
    Kettle sour cream and chilli
    Doritos chilli heatwave
    McCoys Salt n vinegar
    Doritos tangy cheese
    Tyrell veg crisps

Best snacks

Nice n Spicy / Rib Nic Nacs
    Snactastic Salt n Vinegar (the Lidl / Aldi rip off Pringles that are thicker)
    Propercorn Sweet n Salty
    Bugles
    Quavers
    Skips
    Cheesy footballs
    Pringles Texas BBQ / Paprika / Sour cream

picked up the ‘wrong’ 25 bag multi bag of Walkers before Xmas and forgot how much I enjoyed Smokey Bacon  

Please move Doritos to your snack list - they are made from corn and therefore not a crisp.  ;)

• edited January 2021
    Pint of lager, packet of crisps and a table to sit around with a couple of mates to talk shit and put the world to rights. 

I fucking miss it
    Yes, get a few different flavours, open them up in the middle and mix and match. Salt and Vinegar with Cheese and Onion is a nice combination. 
    Come up on my Facebook memories before Xmas of a pic of late night nibbles on a night out. 11 bags of crisps and 8 bags of nuts. Christ I miss a night out!