Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2021 Thread

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Without being too shameless with the plug, if @AFKABartram will permit, our company is ready and willing to help with UK tailor-made road trips and tours, with Scotland a particular speciality @North Lower Neil @bobmunro. We have been going for nearly 18 years, fully ATOL/ABTOT protected and offer a value for money guarantee - not about cheap/ discounts, but we certainly won't rip you off and have not hiked prices this year. We're also offering the flexibility of a free change up to four weeks before departure for any bookings made before the end of March. We have a small team of a dozen people and we won't send you anywhere we haven't been ourselves - our reputation is built on personal service and customer focus.

Take a look at the website and feel free to drop me a DM on here.

https://www.mckinlaykidd.com/
    Thanks, Heather - just had a quick scan of the website and the tours look great - especially the Grand Scottish Journey and the Premier North Coast 500. We are definitely wanting to take in Ross & Cromarty so I can show my mate Foulis Castle (my ancestral home!) and we also want to bag a Munro (an easy one!).   

I'll speak to my mate and his missus and will get back to you. 
    That's brilliant - we'd love to help! Also happen to know Hugh Munro's great grandson, though that doesn't make climbing them any easier ;-) Are you any relation?

Look forward to hearing from you once you're ready.

And likewise @North Lower Neil.
    I'm related to the Clan Chief line - I believe Hugh Munro is a different line.

It will need to be a very easy Munro to climb! 
    Yes, that line is Kirriemuir rather than Foulis - from what I know from my friend ;-)

Not speaking from personal experience, I don't think any Munros are that easy given they are 3,000+ feet?? Maybe cheating a bit and taking the gondola up Aonach Mor is the best bet?!

• Options
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55654127

“Over-50s rush to book holidays as vaccine boosts confidence

Coach and tour operators have seen an unexpected growth in bookings in the last fortnight.

Industry figures call it growing "vaccine confidence" about 2021.

Whilst there is no doubt that the pandemic continues to put huge pressure on lives and the NHS, this is a small amount of sunshine for the travel industry, which has had a tough year. 

TUI, the UK's largest tour operator, says 50% of bookings on their website are currently by over-50s.“

• Options
    I've booked Centre Parks with other family members in October. 
  • Options
    Just to let you know if you need any bespoke printed beach towels for your holiday I am your man.
  • Options
    Just to let you know if you need any bespoke printed beach towels for your holiday I am your man.
    Need to make them about 4m wide and 6m long mate, help with social distancing. 
  • Options
    Need to make them about 4m wide and 6m long mate, help with social distancing. 
    Out of interest do you print Bath sheets (60” x 35” approx) rather than standard towel size?
  • Options
    they are 140cm by 70cm , we can only do bigger in bulk over 25 per design
  • Options
    they are 140cm by 70cm , we can only do bigger in bulk over 25 per design
    Ok thanks, not quiet big enough and only wanted one or two, but thanks for answering,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If the vaccines can cope with all these nasty mutants running around then that will give a lot of confidence to take a holiday. But I would like to think that masks may not be needed but only time will tell. 
  • Options
    If the vaccines can cope with all these nasty mutants running around then that will give a lot of confidence to take a holiday. But I would like to think that masks may not be needed but only time will tell. 
    The million dollar question is will the country you plan to visit be ready to accept holiday makers? It's all very well people getting excited because they may get vaccinated before they are due to fly anywhere bit its no good if the country you are planning to visit is not keeping up with us.

I agree that is a very big issue which is why I'd probably stay around Europe at first rather than anywhere far flung. It going to be a challenging year whatever. 
  • Options
    booked a week at Parkdean’s Warmwell Holiday Park in Dorset for first week of school holidays. 

It’s got a dry ski slope there which our kids are  excited about. 

My wallet not so excited 
  • Options
    Got two weeks booked in Croatia and EasyJet flights put back from last year, although I can’t see it happening.
  • Options
    Transferred our holiday to France from last, to this August. Not confident it will go ahead. If it doesn’t, we’ll look for something in the UK but will probably all be booked up by then. If we’re able to, we’re looking to do a few days in Paris for the October half term, and incorporate Disneyland.
    Made the decision to sack France off and booked a lodge at a park in the New Forest. We’ll lose our deposit if by some chance we were able to do France but we paid that 2 years ago so won’t miss it. 

I bought Goodwood revival tickets when they went on sale a couple of weeks ago. It’s not until September but can’t see it going ahead though. Reserved hotel rooms but have until the day before to cancel.
  • Options
    We have booked a week in Jersey at the end of June thinking overseas might not be happening by then. As it is a package with BA, we will get a full refund if it can't happen. Decided to book it, knowing we can get a full refund, because if/when the travel situation opens up, it might be nigh on impossible to book anything as already pretty booked up. Got 3 nights on the IoW end April  (not booked a ferry yet), probably won't happen and 3 nights in Lyme Regis in June that might happen. All covered  in case they don't go ahead - think that's the only way to book at the moment
  • Options
    Coverings will be used for a long time to come, in my opinion.
  • Options
    The million dollar question is will the country you plan to visit be ready to accept holiday makers? It's all very well people getting excited because they may get vaccinated before they are due to fly anywhere bit its no good if the country you are planning to visit is not keeping up with us. 
    And there lies the problem.
  • Options
    I have not had a holiday in this country since around 1982.
    There are many beautiful places to visit in the UK but you cannot rely on the weather plus the cost is much more expensive than venturing abroad.
    If I do not holiday over here this year I never will. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A week scuba diving in Okinawa, Japan in May. Hopefully the Ashes over Christmas.
  • Options
    Germany at new year. As soon as travel restrictions are lifted we need to get to the UK to see my mother-in-law. Karen is missing her terribly (as am I to be honest). Facetime is a blessing, but it's not quiet the same.    
  • Options
    Maldives in March now in November - I hope
  • Options
    totally undecided on holidays this year, a good time to have a touring caravan (as we do), we did Cornwall last summer (replacing the south of France). We were planning SOF this summer and had pushed the booking on to this August, however my guess is that even that will be in doubt. It's not so much the vaccination programme in this country, but the fact that the rest of Europe are no where near as advanced as we are with it.

have been looking at sites over here as well and prices have definitely increased. I'd happily go in the UK again, however the 2 weeks in Cornwall last August were probably the worst weather I've known
    definitely binned off France, have pushed again to summer 2022 - looking at the Isle of Wight now for a couple of weeks in August.
  • Options
    totally undecided on holidays this year, a good time to have a touring caravan (as we do), we did Cornwall last summer (replacing the south of France). We were planning SOF this summer and had pushed the booking on to this August, however my guess is that even that will be in doubt. It's not so much the vaccination programme in this country, but the fact that the rest of Europe are no where near as advanced as we are with it.

have been looking at sites over here as well and prices have definitely increased. I'd happily go in the UK again, however the 2 weeks in Cornwall last August were probably the worst weather I've known
    definitely binned off France, have pushed again to summer 2022 - looking at the Isle of Wight now for a couple of weeks in August.
    The IoW is beautiful.
  • Options
    I’m going to book something in the UK at some point in the next week. From a personal perspective, Working from home every day for 11 months and with most likely another year of it ahead, I just can’t face the thought of not having a change of scenery for a week in the summer.  

Got 4 days leave next week that’s only going to involve sitting all day in a different room!
  • Options
    I've booked a five day break in Cornwall for May, as it's a caravan site I'm hoping it will go ahead. Plenty of wide open space for me to avoid annoying human beings!

As soon as allowed I'll be over to the Isle of Wight to visit my Dad. Haven't seen him since March 7th 2020 :-(
  • Options
    I’m going to book something in the UK at some point in the next week. From a personal perspective, Working from home every day for 11 months and with most likely another year of it ahead, I just can’t face the thought of not having a change of scenery for a week in the summer.  

Got 4 days leave next week that’s only going to involve sitting all day in a different room!
    That's the same as we thought last year, we had a cottage booked in Devon for August, and did consider if you couldn't do much was it worth paying to spend a week in a different house doing the same stuff we'd do at home?

But then it's the change of scenery and just switching off, blows away the cobwebs I think.
  • Options

That's the same as we thought last year, we had a cottage booked in Devon for August, and did consider if you couldn't do much was it worth paying to spend a week in a different house doing the same stuff we'd do at home?

But then it's the change of scenery and just switching off, blows away the cobwebs I think.
    I think that is a danger of booking now.

Say you book a cottage in a n other county, but when it comes around you are allowed to go but basically not a lot is open due to a form of lockdown, potentially you are spending a lot of money for a change of scenery and if you don't want to go you'll be unlikely to get a refund.

You pays your money you take your chances.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

I think that is a danger of booking now.

Say you book a cottage in a n other county, but when it comes around you are allowed to go but basically not a lot is open due to a form of lockdown, potentially you are spending a lot of money for a change of scenery and if you don't want to go you'll be unlikely to get a refund.

You pays your money you take your chances.
    We booked an airbnb so you could cancel until a couple of weeks before and only lose a small booking fee I think.

Have booked the same place for this year, it's near friends of ours so that's a bonus but didn't  find anywhere else that looked as good anywhere near as cheap, prices do seem to have gone up for a UK holiday this year.