Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2021 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I’m going to book something in the UK at some point in the next week. From a personal perspective, Working from home every day for 11 months and with most likely another year of it ahead, I just can’t face the thought of not having a change of scenery for a week in the summer.  

Got 4 days leave next week that’s only going to involve sitting all day in a different room!
    That's the same as we thought last year, we had a cottage booked in Devon for August, and did consider if you couldn't do much was it worth paying to spend a week in a different house doing the same stuff we'd do at home?

But then it's the change of scenery and just switching off, blows away the cobwebs I think.
    I think that is a danger of booking now.

Say you book a cottage in a n other county, but when it comes around you are allowed to go but basically not a lot is open due to a form of lockdown, potentially you are spending a lot of money for a change of scenery and if you don't want to go you'll be unlikely to get a refund.

You pays your money you take your chances.
    That's one of the reasons we're not bothering with our holiday to France that was transferred from last year. At least there should be some restrictions lifted in the UK by the summer.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I cancelled last year's holiday to Majorca and rebooked for this year 
    Travelling on the 24th of July. 
    I reckon I have a 50/50 chance of going.
    If I have to cancel this time I will just ask for a refund and plan something in the UK.
    Similar here with Spain but beginning of July with TUI. Wished we had just got our money back tbh but when we rebooked we thought July would be pretty safe. Last October we booked a forest lodge with hot tub in Dorset which we will probably do again if nothing else is possible. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    We went to the South of France last year in August and were so remote it was safer than being here!  We'll probably look to do something like that again this year if we can.  We went to the supermarket a handful of times, a restaurant 3 times and apart from that it was just like being at home...only much warmer.  The kids had all the Wifi they could need and we had Netflix, playing cards, books galore and a swimming pool.  It was absolute heaven and beautiful scenery and drives.  On the way back we came via Germany and Belgium for a change of scenery and stayed at a couple of cracking little places.

Also waiting for lockdown to ease slighly so we can have a week at my Dad's house in Looe.  The kids can do their home schooling from there and my wife and I can work from there - but it would be a change of scenery that we could all do with.
  • Options
    Had Centre Parcs booked last easter so glad we got our money back, LeMans last summer and that was a fight but eventually got the money back. Nothing booked yet and will wait until we are nearer the summer before booking anything but if we do it'll be good old Blighty as just don't see us flying for a hols in 2021 but if we can by October will do some time in Cyprus then.

The only plus is I've probably saved £20k!
  • Options
    I’m going to book something in the UK at some point in the next week. From a personal perspective, Working from home every day for 11 months and with most likely another year of it ahead, I just can’t face the thought of not having a change of scenery for a week in the summer.  

Got 4 days leave next week that’s only going to involve sitting all day in a different room!
    Bit the bullet and booked a week down Weymouth where we went last year. It is double the price of last year, but they were well organised with the restrictions then, we all enjoyed it and I’m fearing a bun fight for domestic holidays following tomorrow’s roadmap. Just glad to have something secured there look forward to.

Really wanted to go Cornwall as never been but have a nagging concern it may prove one big popularity car park this summer. 
    Good idea mate, can see a mad rush for the remaining UK holidays soon. I’m glad we’ve got ours booked and don’t have to worry about it. 
  • Options
    Got a three special Warner weekends booked all with cover bands playing (ABBA, Pink Floyd & The Eagles). Classy places, top grade rooms, fantastic food and the bands are always good value. Bit of antique shopping whilst we're at the three hotels.

Hoping for a battlefield tour week with both my kids later in the year as soon as they're both vaccinated. WW1 and WWII circuit of northern France. Have been working on the itinerary all year!
  • Options
    Hoping for a nice two to three week holiday in England this summer if the situation permits. My parents haven't met their first grandchild yet so that will make it extra special.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    We went to the South of France last year in August and were so remote it was safer than being here!  We'll probably look to do something like that again this year if we can.  We went to the supermarket a handful of times, a restaurant 3 times and apart from that it was just like being at home...only much warmer.  The kids had all the Wifi they could need and we had Netflix, playing cards, books galore and a swimming pool.  It was absolute heaven and beautiful scenery and drives.  On the way back we came via Germany and Belgium for a change of scenery and stayed at a couple of cracking little places.

Also waiting for lockdown to ease slighly so we can have a week at my Dad's house in Looe.  The kids can do their home schooling from there and my wife and I can work from there - but it would be a change of scenery that we could all do with.
    Where abouts ? Any recommendations. Would love to drive out there somewhere remote.
  • Options

Bit the bullet and booked a week down Weymouth where we went last year. It is double the price of last year, but they were well organised with the restrictions then, we all enjoyed it and I’m fearing a bun fight for domestic holidays following tomorrow’s roadmap. Just glad to have something secured there look forward to.

Really wanted to go Cornwall as never been but have a nagging concern it may prove one big popularity car park this summer. 
    Where abouts Afka ?

we are at Warmwell holiday park about 15/20 mins from Weymouth. 

Any suggestions for the odd day out - my boys will be 8 and 10 

is there much at Weymouth beach? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Where abouts Afka ?

we are at Warmwell holiday park about 15/20 mins from Weymouth. 

Any suggestions for the odd day out - my boys will be 8 and 10 

is there much at Weymouth beach? 
    Weymouth beach is lovely mate. A few kids rides/attractions but may be a bit too young for yours. Parking can be a bit of a mare though.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Got a three special Warner weekends booked all with cover bands playing (ABBA, Pink Floyd & The Eagles). Classy places, top grade rooms, fantastic food and the bands are always good value. Bit of antique shopping whilst we're at the three hotels.

Hoping for a battlefield tour week with both my kids later in the year as soon as they're both vaccinated. WW1 and WWII circuit of northern France. Have been working on the itinerary all year!
    Just remembered I’m booked on the CL battlefield tour to Normandy in July. Would imagine it won’t go ahead unfortunately.
  • Options
    Just had a cruise around Britain and Ireland cancelled for May, same cruise was cancelled last year as well, as we payed about 3 years ago now rebooked it for the same time next year, actually thinking about it it’s the third time this cruise has been cancelled as originally we were on a short cruise which included a trip on the orient express from London to Venice, that went as well. Shame I brought the wife the wife a lovely new dress and me a new dress suit, never of which have seen the light of day.
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Swisdom said:

Where abouts ? Any recommendations. Would love to drive out there somewhere remote.
    We stayed at a gite called En Jouanon in Gers.  Beautiful, very remote.  Short drive to Andorra if you fancy it but just beautiful. It’s not available when we looked but there are other places in the region.

https://www.enjouanon.com/

look on ChezNous or AirBnB and see what tickles your fancy.  It’s a long drive down but so worth it once you’re there. 
  • Options

I too think it will be carnage down there but that’s the advantage of having a property there - we’ll always have a parking spot. Just depends when we can get there - hopefully Bonkers Boris releases the shackles a bit tomorrow
  • Options
    Remind me nearer the time @MrOneLung and I’ll make a few suggestions 
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Just remembered I’m booked on the CL battlefield tour to Normandy in July. Would imagine it won’t go ahead unfortunately.
    Going to wait to see what transpires tomorrow and then have a chat with Clive so watch this space.
  • Options
    Had a short break booked for Easter, I don’t think it’s going to happen now, holiday last June cancelled as well, it’s all a bit dodgy this year, I hope the vaccines work!!
  • Options
    totally undecided on holidays this year, a good time to have a touring caravan (as we do), we did Cornwall last summer (replacing the south of France). We were planning SOF this summer and had pushed the booking on to this August, however my guess is that even that will be in doubt. It's not so much the vaccination programme in this country, but the fact that the rest of Europe are no where near as advanced as we are with it.

have been looking at sites over here as well and prices have definitely increased. I'd happily go in the UK again, however the 2 weeks in Cornwall last August were probably the worst weather I've known
    definitely binned off France, have pushed again to summer 2022 - looking at the Isle of Wight now for a couple of weeks in August.
    The IoW is beautiful.
    booked for 2 weeks from the 7th Aug
  • Options
    Booked 3 nights in Edinburgh and 3 in the Cotswolds as our summer holiday/s. I'll twist both so they both become mini golf trips. 

Will make a short notice golf trip to Scotland some time too, again a good time to visit as no Americans means deals & empty tee sheets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    totally undecided on holidays this year, a good time to have a touring caravan (as we do), we did Cornwall last summer (replacing the south of France). We were planning SOF this summer and had pushed the booking on to this August, however my guess is that even that will be in doubt. It's not so much the vaccination programme in this country, but the fact that the rest of Europe are no where near as advanced as we are with it.

have been looking at sites over here as well and prices have definitely increased. I'd happily go in the UK again, however the 2 weeks in Cornwall last August were probably the worst weather I've known
    definitely binned off France, have pushed again to summer 2022 - looking at the Isle of Wight now for a couple of weeks in August.
    The IoW is beautiful.
    booked for 2 weeks from the 7th Aug
    You won't regret it.

• Options
    We went to the IOW last Feb half term.

Feels an absolute lifetime ago now, not a year!
  • Options
    As a result of the snail like pace of our vaccines we cancelled our trip to Lesvos in June and have moved it to June 2022.

We’ve only been waiting for this holiday since March 2019 (when we originally booked it) so a few more months won’t hurt 😳🙄😩😩😩😩😩😩
  • Options
    2nd cruise for this year, first was meant to sail in May, 2nd end of July, one got pushed back to May 2022 and second one is now August 2022, still got one I’m hoping to go in September this, if that gets cancelled then next year going to be one long=g holiday😀. The 2nd cruise we cancelled as the direct result of the terrible vaccine roll out in Europe with the cock up they are making of it we decided that an early July visit was unsafe.
  • Options
    Booked in for Cyprus in July 2022. Fecking ages away 😭
  • Options
    I am trying to take early retirement and move to the Algarve, it's a pain having to put it off and keep turning up for work until travel restrictions are lifted.
  • Options
    Just spent £700 getting a tow bar and bike rack for my car...I get The impression this year‘s holiday might not be very far from Snodland-upon-Kent
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Just spent £700 getting a tow bar and bike rack for my car...I get The impression this year‘s holiday might not be very far from Snodland-upon-Kent
    Yeah I have stuck a tow at on my campervan and just waiting for Westfalia to deliver the bike rack. Any spare time I get this summer will be camping either in England or if the campsites are full up in scotland
  • Options
    I really wouldn't fancy a Covid cruise.
    Absolute mare if there's an outbreak and you obviously can't disembark.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Centre of the universe is Snodland...