Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January Transfer Window Verdict Thread (CAFC)

Comments

• Options
    It’s a good League One squad, no doubt, with the obvious weakness that our best two central defenders are injured, hopefully they will be back very soon.

Up to Bowyer now to get the players to fully gel to the extent that we make the play offs.
  • Options
    Would've loved another CB in an ideal world, but wouldn't underestimate the difference having pace as an outlet can make. Think we've already started to see that since Millar's arrival, and DJ gives another similar option - more threat on the break and ability to get up the pitch and relieve pressure on the backline when we're under pressure.

Overall I think we've got a much more balanced squad and am cautiously optimistic for the run in. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Davo55 said:
    SexyDave said:
    Overall good. A bit gutted about Williams, and a shame MM hasn't worked out. 

I certainly feel like the window felt saved by the last minute signing who we really did need help balance the squad. Just need to really hope Famewo can stay fit and get Inniss back as well and we have a decent squad. A push for play offs and a proper rebuild in the summer awaits I reckon. 
    This.

I think we are still light on RM if Bowyer is playing 442, without any cover for Jaiyesimi. And perhaps a little overloaded in CM where we've got Watson, Pratley, Shinnie, Morgan, Gilbey and now Smith vying for, in effect, 2 or 3 places.

But overall, stronger coming out of the window than when we went in, and I'm feeling hopeful that our form in the second half of the season will reflect that.

I can't see him only playing one of the 4 strikers regularly?  
    I don't believe that's Bowyer's way ..... he's a 2 striker man; he likes his strikers to hunt in pairs.

The exception, if you can call it that, is when he plays a 4-3-3 and adds a winger to the 2 front men - but with a different gameplan.
    And of course, that can change to a 4-5-1 when defending, reverting to 4-3-3 attacking.

Overall, I'm pleased with the new signings ....... showing a change in Bowyer's previous defensive mentality.
    I believe we'll be more often set up to take the game to the opposition, more on the front foot - plus quick on the counter.

Bowyer talks about trying to move the ball more quickly.
    Now he's got the player's to do it.

• Options
    Can’t say without seeing the two new players. 

I would have definitely kept Maddison but us much as I like JW he really didn’t do much apart from win us free kicks .
  • Options
    I think we'll play a diamond:
    Amos
    Gunter, Inniss, Famewo, Maatsen
    Pratley
    Shinnie, JFC
    Millar
    Stockley, Washington

Something like that where Shinnie will be asked to pull out to the right and Millar to the left to create a flat 442 at times. Then we also have the option to go a flat 442 with DJ coming on for one of the CM's if we need a goal. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    lots of attackers and no defenders .. more emphasis therefore on getting the ball forward as often and as far as possible ? .. let it be an end to constant passing to and fro among the back four and a more attacking mindset for Bowyer and Co. .. we will see  

The verdict .. hello to some untried young players keen to make a career and a farewell to a couple of older has beens .. I said as soon as Maddison arrived that Bowyer didn't fancy him and it seems that was the case, perhaps an indication of a lack of meeting of minds amongst the management group ? .. We got a fee for Williams, remarkable for a player who always flattered to deceive and rarely lasted the full ninety .. perhaps a return to the land of his fathers will rekindle Jonny's career. I would have liked to have seen the arrival of a central defender, perhaps the lack of a signing indicates a pretty immediate return for the injured pair we have and who have not featured for months. Let's hope so. 
  • Options
    8/10, everyone that's come in is an improvement imo, only person I'm sad about leaving is Williams but that's more because of how much a likeable guy he was.  Looking forward to seeing how the new boys slot in. Expect we'll see DJ on saturday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Finally we have some balance and at least two solid players in each position.

Amos, Maynard brewer.

Famewo, Desi.
    Inniss, Pearce.
    Gunter,Matthews
    Matsaan,Purrington
    Pratley, Watson.
    JFC,Gilbey.
    Shinnie,Smith,Morgan.
    Millar, Jaiyesimi.
    Aneke,Stockley.
    Schwartz,Washington.
    Agree with your point, but is Pearce 'solid'? Not from what we've seen since his injury return. 
  • Options
    I would have liked a CB but can understand why we didn't as LB says. We have a fully fit club captain in that position, but he's cost us a fair few goals and points.

It would have been a luxury to bring a CB in and have your Captain move to 7th in the pecking order. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Good point on Akin, jonniesta...but only good if he can get back to his best quickly...
  • Options
    I think in an ideal world we would have moved Pearce on and replaced him with a better CB. Sounds harsh on Pearce who has been a good solid servant and always gives his all but I just don’t think he’s good enough anymore. Not completely ruling him out, if he has to play a few between now and the end of the season i hope he improves on his recent form. It’s just not ideal that you have Gunter and probably Pratley who could well be ahead of him. 
  • Options
    I think if Deji didnt step up then we may have seen a new CB. 

Good window for me. MM is a good player, cant deny that but as soon as things didnt go his way he pouts and sulks. 
    JW is a cult hero, talents there for sure and Charlton def helped him rebuild his career. Good luck to him. 

Happy with the all the bods that came in. 

8/10

Lets push on now!!

Cue the 5 - 0 stuffing by Pompey :smile:

• Options
    7/10

Very happy with Jaiyesimi, the sort of young, hungry player we should be targeting
    Very happy with Millar, clearly very talented and hard working
    Happy with Stockley, a much needed target man option
    Waiting to see how successful Schwartz is
    Unsure about Smith, not because he isn't a good player, but whether we needed someone in that position

Disappointed that we now have 6 loans, and only signed 2 players permanently in the window
    Slightly disappointed that we didn't sign a centre back OR a dominant defensive midfielder for when we want to be solid
    Slightly disappointed that we lost 2 academy players in the window in Lapslie and Wiredu, who might have done a job this season
    Slightly disappointed that we lost Williams and Maddison (even allowing for the latter's issues)
    Happy to have moved Bogle on, the stick he got here was unfair, but we are definitely stronger up top now
    Happy to have got a fee for Doughty and a clean break, seeing that he was unlikely to feature much this season and wouldn't sign a contract
  • Options
    Nostalgia: I remember the days on here when we couldn’t wait for Pearce to come back from injury and Williams was receiving rave reviews
  • Options
    Nostalgia: I remember the days on here when we couldn’t wait for Pearce to come back from injury and Williams was receiving rave reviews
    nostalgia is not what it used to be lol .. problem is of course, as players get older and play a lot of hard games, injuries and wear and tear slow them down, and all too often, after a bad injury or series of injuries, some players just ain't as good as they used to was 
  • Options
    I think in an ideal world we would have moved Pearce on and replaced him with a better CB. Sounds harsh on Pearce who has been a good solid servant and always gives his all but I just don’t think he’s good enough anymore. Not completely ruling him out, if he has to play a few between now and the end of the season i hope he improves on his recent form. It’s just not ideal that you have Gunter and probably Pratley who could well be ahead of him. 
    Also (and especially in January) finding anyone who would take him would be a challenge. He's made several fairly high profile blunders when he's played recently, you'd need to be desperate to think he's going to be improving your defense much.
  • Options
    But he has his academy now and is settled in the area! Time for those coaching badges
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    (I can see him doing a season or three at Bromley while his other interests pay the bills) 
  • Options
    Interesting window. DJ has looked good against us (always a plus to snatch up those who have hurt us). Much more variety up front. No centre back additions...that's a worry. If the two season CB starters come back strong then fine, things could be very tasty in the next few months. If not, then we are going to have to score a lot of goals to make upo for defensive mistakes.
  • Options
    Pearce is only 33, I can't see him wanting to retire or drop down into non league yet. I can see him at another local league club next season, a smaller L1 or decent L2 type club (Wimbledon, Orient etc)
  • Options
    on the face of it, it's a cracking window - deadwood (who barely played) out and some genuine first team starters in.

we are definitely stronger

what's not to like ??
    We didn't get a central defender which is what we need the most.

All the rest is like building a house without foundations. 

It could turn out great IF Innis and Famewo can play the last 20 games.
  • Options
    Looks like a very good window with the right sort of tinkering, in and out, needed for a promotion push. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Would have kept Maddison. Jonny didn't really create much but was an experienced player that might have been good to have around the place. 

No idea about the 2 from Swindon (Yes, I know one is actually with Arsenal...) but think Smith will have a lot on his shoulders as it looks like he will be the only "playmaker" in the side. Everyone rates DJ but we have to factor in the Bowyer effect - injured for 6 months & never the same when back or does one dodgy pass, is thrown under the bus (which has space now that Bogle, Williams & Maddison have all departed) and never played again. 

Jury out until we've seen them play half a dozen times. Don't forget people were wetting themselves over Levitt after the Lincoln away match. 
    Come on. That’s not the Charlton Life way now is it?
  • Options
    I'm happy. Best January window in ages. Sad to see Jonny go, but not surprised, hope he does well. Maddison has talent, but never going to fit in to a Bowyer squad. 

DJ scored a good goal against us, definitely a good signing. Pleased with the forwards brought in. Bowyer's right about bringing in a defender IMO, if we had it would need to be one for the future and doubt there was one available at a sensible price
  • Options
    Good overall. The only ones I didn't want to go were Doughty (but we knew that was going to happen and at least we got something for him) and Williams. Would have preferred another CB coming in but if Famewo is back soon and Innis later then I guess that is like two signings plus Deji has looked more than capable backup perhaps even playing himself into starting contention when everyone is fit.