Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January Transfer Window Verdict Thread (CAFC)

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Just a small thought. 

Did we actually have any investment this January, or were the purchases offset completely by the sales? 

I imagine we made a tidy profit this January if you include the Williams and doughty fees. 
    But that "profit" would quickly be offset/diminished by the much decreased match day income. So I very much doubt the club as a whole came out anywhere near ahead.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I'll be really interested to see the accounts for this season. Bugger all normal income, but the net profit on player sales will be decent

Compared to many other clubs in this division, they'll look quite healthy...

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I'll be really interested to see the accounts for this season. Bugger all normal income, but the net profit on player sales will be decent

I'd think the salary cap was based on affordability Most should be looking okay what with sponsorships and iFollow money. Anyone know what our streaming service is bringing in on average per game? I think it was about £40,000 per game at one stage. I also wonder what our actual spend is on player salaries? Capped and Uncapped.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Did I get it wrong but I'm sure I heard Steve Gallen say during his interview that we have also completed a new contract for Akin. I wonder what that is all about ?
    Where was that interview please ?
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Did I get it wrong but I'm sure I heard Steve Gallen say during his interview that we have also completed a new contract for Akin. I wonder what that is all about ?
    Pre match interview last night.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    AndyG said:
    Thanks is it available anywhere does anyone know ?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    AndyG said:
    Had hoped it'd be on Valley Pass, but that's not working, but assume it'll be back up later 
  • Options
    Think its been a sensible window given our long term objectives. They've cleared the decks to some extent, leaving less work to do come the close season and reducing the 'noise' in the dressing room.

We have enough to be competitive and strengthened in some areas. It also buys some time to see how likely we are to seeing crowds return and whether the salary cap may change to our advantage.

We have a major rebuild project in the summer and I like to think DJ is a sign of things to come. The landscape of football finances is changing at this level and we may be in a position to benefit. 
  • Options
    Good window overall. It’s quite clear we’re planning for the long-term for once which is refreshing. Write this season off and get off Bowyer’s back. We’re not good enough at the moment so might as well clear the dead wood.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    AndyG said:
    I have checked through Valley Pass and nothing there. 
    Steve did say he had completed a new loan contract with Akin. We have the money for another player under the cap and he would be looking at the released list to see if we could do anything.
    Went onto say he was knackered and so was Lee and that very hard work, not just with the ins as the out’s take a lot of time as well. Thanked the owner for being very supportive. Overall he is happy with the business done.
    Now going to have a rest for a couple of days and then move onto the youth teams.

My personal feeling was that he seemed a bit disappointed. Maybe he only just missed out on THE one he was really after?

He shouldn’t be, another good window by him IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Dazzler21 said:

I'd think the salary cap was based on affordability Most should be looking okay what with sponsorships and iFollow money. Anyone know what our streaming service is bringing in on average per game? I think it was about £40,000 per game at one stage. I also wonder what our actual spend is on player salaries? Capped and Uncapped.
    Last time in league 1 our total wage bill was just over ten million.  In football terms the non football salaries would have been irrelevant. 

Gallen said it was about 3 million less so I would say 7 million was a good ball park figure.

That's the clubs total wage bill not the first team squad BTW. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Last time in league 1 our total wage bill was just over ten million.  In football terms the non football salaries would have been irrelevant. 

Gallen said it was about 3 million less so I would say 7 million was a good ball park figure.

That's the clubs total wage bill not the first team squad BTW. 
    Yes, 2 years ago we still had players on "Roland spending money" Championship wages like Sarr and Bauer, plus the likes of Solly
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Norwich believe we can now pay more of Akin's wage?

• Options
    moving out dead wood and bad eggs and getting a fee was good
    selling youngsters with sell on fees and or buy back clauses is good 
    replacing duff striker with better is good
    replacing loanees spirited away by parent clubs with bright young things is good
    ignoring the total absence of credible centre halves and absence of cover at defensive mid when ALL players of any ability are injured or suspended is monumental failure of catastrophic proportions with inevitable stupid fucking consequence of the fucking dreadful performances and piss poor return of points since December 
    really genuinely fucking moronic 
    Doubled down this week with risible horse shit about nobody available When One Dirt Cheap example has just joined Portsmouth and had a very comfortable night at The Valley 
    don’t piss on my back and tell me it’s raining 
    This.....well said
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Are you sure it was Akin and not Aneke  ? I thought I read on the match thread someone talking about Gallen's interview & mentioning renegotiating Anekes contract as he is out of contract in the summer.

That seems more plausible that negotiations over a loanee who (unless recalled) is already here for the season. 
  • Options
    It baffles me that we not only wouldn’t buy a backup at CB as cover, but we actually let one go in Wiredu. Clearly Bows wasn’t fancying playing youth as cover at CB so I get it may have made no difference keeping him...but it does seem silly to actually end up with a net loss in a position many people (practically all except bowyer) thought we needed to strengthen.
  • Options
    RedRyan said:
    It baffles me that we not only wouldn’t buy a backup at CB as cover, but we actually let one go in Wiredu. Clearly Bows wasn’t fancying playing youth as cover at CB so I get it may have made no difference keeping him...but it does seem silly to actually end up with a net loss in a position many people (practically all except bowyer) thought we needed to strengthen.
    Wiredu is a midfielder. Did used to play right-back, though.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Are you sure it was Akin and not Aneke  ? I thought I read on the match thread someone talking about Gallen's interview & mentioning renegotiating Anekes contract as he is out of contract in the summer.

That seems more plausible that negotiations over a loanee who (unless recalled) is already here for the season. 
    It was definitely about Akin. The implication is that we had to agree a different deal (probably higher wage percentage) to avoid Norwich recalling him from the loan in January.
  • Options
    Potentially overall going forward we are stronger than the last time we got out of league one.

Havent got the silky skills of Aribo in the middle or ‘warrior’ mentality of Cullen and Bielik, and yes we have taken a gamble on Ryan and Akin coming back (when?) and then not breaking down again, could be our Achilles hill, a legacy of signing injury prone players.

On a positive note, we are trying to score ourself out of the division, bring back Keegan football, and get that lockdown perm ready!
    This squad is not as good as the one of 2 years ago.
    The squad is better, the 1st team isn't as good. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    RedRyan said:
    I’m less baffled by it now. Who is the (non Barker) CB people wanted to see come up through the ranks? Mingi?
  • Options
    RedRyan said:
    Chunes said:
    RedRyan said:
    I’m less baffled by it now. Who is the (non Barker) CB people wanted to see come up through the ranks? Mingi?
    Aye, Mingi. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    RedRyan said:
    Read this as "Ming," at first.

• Options
    It feels like there has been input from more than just SG and LB.  The senior management team have given advice and we now seem to be planning and putting a structure in place for next season.  Onwards and upwards ...  changed my opioion on a top 6 finish ... very unlikely now.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Potentially overall going forward we are stronger than the last time we got out of league one.

Havent got the silky skills of Aribo in the middle or ‘warrior’ mentality of Cullen and Bielik, and yes we have taken a gamble on Ryan and Akin coming back (when?) and then not breaking down again, could be our Achilles hill, a legacy of signing injury prone players.

On a positive note, we are trying to score ourself out of the division, bring back Keegan football, and get that lockdown perm ready!
    Thinking about the squad balance recently I think there's a good argument for having a stronger first team and weaker squad, at least while under the cap.

If you have two players of a similar level that encourages rotation. Instead of splitting £5k a week equally between two players you could have a clear first choice on £4k and a promising young player on £1k. You'd expect the first choice to start 30/40+ games. Instead come the end of this season we'll have very few players anywhere near that.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Thinking about the squad balance recently I think there's a good argument for having a stronger first team and weaker squad, at least while under the cap.

If you have two players of a similar level that encourages rotation. Instead of splitting £5k a week equally between two players you could have a clear first choice on £4k and a promising young player on £1k. You'd expect the first choice to start 30/40+ games. Instead come the end of this season we'll have very few players anywhere near that.
    Agreed, I doubt Lincoln will have 2 good/expensive (in terms of Cap) right backs or 4 mix and match strikers
  • Options
    Instead of NA going  to watch our U23's on Monday it might be better him going to places like Colchester, Bromley, Woking & Forest Green as that's where the next crop of first teamers are
  • Options
    Instead of NA going  to watch our U23's on Monday it might be better him going to places like Colchester, Bromley, Woking & Forest Green as that's where the next crop of first teamers are
    He'll probably do both!