Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Portsmouth | Tues 2nd Feb 2021

1141516171820»

Comments

• Options
    Harmony 
    Its a beautiful word . 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    OK Orps. I'll join you. No more warring from me. My last combative post on this subject.
  • Options
    too painful for words 

But for good order 

0%    Automatic promotion
    35%     Play offs 
    55%   7th-12th
    10%  13th-20th

• Options
    Good, sensible post that @fenlandaddick. Feels out of place atm!
  • Options
    It's funny, looking at all this arguing makes me realise how good these football forums are. In a world where we surround ourselves by people who think the same way we do, by algorithms on social media or by choice, this forum provides somewhere where we can genuinely disagree without being vitriolic about it. We all want what's best for the club, we're all devastated about the crap that was Tuesday, and it's perhaps even more heart-wrenching knowing that for the first time in ages we have the infrastructure to support a genuine promotion push and beyond. But we're forced into conversation with people who see it very differently. So, with the debate, keep it coming! 

For me, Bowyer earned, in our last promotion push, a good run this season, with some support. To me that means he sees out the season. Historically, another season in League One would be a disaster to the future of the club. Now, perhaps it gives us the 'Chris Powell approach' opportunity to get the settled team in the 2nd season and run away with it next year. In that case, I'd be surprised if Lee is at the helm, as less than play-offs this season, even from where we are, is a failure. But, for now, with a squad and few excuses, it's time to see improvement and results. I just wish we were back there to cheer them on.

P.S. The wingers have to play Saturday, even if that means 5 in the middle and only 1 up top, provided the midfield are running in as they should. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Posted after reading. 

In the four or five games before Portsmouth we showed real signs of improvement. A bit less tinkering, slightly better setup. We’ve had a good window. It’s clear we need some tactical and selection stability going forward, but I’m hoping that Bowyer realised that. 
    I think it’s a bit mad to be calling for him to be sacked after the progress that has been made recently
    Oh, and I can’t really understand why people would criticise Oshi after his last four performances. 
    if you mean on the pitch then I must have missed that.
    We went through a shocking patch where he was playing players way out of position game after game and making negative substitutions, but in the four or five matches before Portsmouth we definitely looked a bit better. You may have missed it, but post match views were a bit more positive, as were players marks. It wasn’t a massive improvement for sure, but any improvement was welcome after what went before, which was pretty dire. 
    Let’s hope he can get the new signings involved. If he doesn’t try using DJ I’ll be pissed off. Would like to see Millar on the left, him on the right, Stockley +1 in the middle. 
    I'd love to see that work, reality is that would leave us even softer, easier to outnumber in the middle of the pitch and put more pressure on our softest underbelly 
    True. But I wonder if you could play Stockley on his own up top, but with Millar and DJ supporting. Might be interesting @Carter
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Carter said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Posted after reading. 

In the four or five games before Portsmouth we showed real signs of improvement. A bit less tinkering, slightly better setup. We’ve had a good window. It’s clear we need some tactical and selection stability going forward, but I’m hoping that Bowyer realised that. 
    I think it’s a bit mad to be calling for him to be sacked after the progress that has been made recently
    Oh, and I can’t really understand why people would criticise Oshi after his last four performances. 
    if you mean on the pitch then I must have missed that.
    We went through a shocking patch where he was playing players way out of position game after game and making negative substitutions, but in the four or five matches before Portsmouth we definitely looked a bit better. You may have missed it, but post match views were a bit more positive, as were players marks. It wasn’t a massive improvement for sure, but any improvement was welcome after what went before, which was pretty dire. 
    Let’s hope he can get the new signings involved. If he doesn’t try using DJ I’ll be pissed off. Would like to see Millar on the left, him on the right, Stockley +1 in the middle. 
    I'd love to see that work, reality is that would leave us even softer, easier to outnumber in the middle of the pitch and put more pressure on our softest underbelly 
    True. But I wonder if you could play Stockley on his own up top, but with Millar and DJ supporting. Might be interesting @Carter
    Hmmm I'm sure you could but I'm not a fan of playing wingers there, I like my wingers fast with chalk on their boots pinning back full backs and creating massive pockets of space 

Maatsen and Matthews should be providing the width in a diamond problem is Maatsen is prone to not stopping crosses and when crosses come in our box mayhem ensues so I think our fullbacks stay deep out of fear of leaving us more exposed 

I'm a fan of earning the right to play and if that means stacking 5 in the midfield and keeping it narrow then fine, isn't as fan friendly that but it will give us possession. We have good players, just need them to bust more guts to track runners and to get into the box when the ball is out wide, watch how many times a dangerous ball comes in and we have 3 players lingering on the edge of the box. Fucking get in there and get a shin on something in front of the keeper