Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2021

Comments

• Options
    Our run rate is 2.96 and the required run rate is 1.96
  • Options
    Our run rate is 2.96 and the required run rate is 1.96
    Whoopeee! 
  • Options
    I genuinely hope Kent can keep Denly around in some capacity. I could see him transferring to a white ball only contract.

I have a great deal of sympathy for the challenges he faced in his later career. Having produced a range of top class performances he earned the right to another crack at international cricket but was completely mishandled by England who tried to turn a fluent attractive stroke player into a modern day version of Tavare.

As to Kents position on Denly I suggest much will depend on whether Heino Kuhn is to stay and whether the finances will run to another overseas player.

I had a lot of time of young Mr Northeast but in his latter years his demeanour did everything to send the message we were holding him back. My expectation is he will still believe there are better opportunities out there. For someone who David English described as one of the most outstanding young talents ever seen at Bunbury he must be bewildered as to just quite his planned England career went. 

In terms of looking around Robinson deserves a chance to secure a settled spot. He is an excellent keeper and a good batsmen.

As an aside another nice reflection on our success and the state of cricket today

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/sep/21/kents-blast-triumph-a-rare-authentic-moment-in-an-endless-sprawl-of-cricket
    Kuhn won't be staying. He qualifies as an overseas player, hasn't produced enough to warrant filling one of those roles and he's 37 now anyway. His calf injury, by all accounts, hasn't been good either.

Agree that Robinson deserves to move up the order. Like a lot of keepers his opportunities to take a prominent position in the order has been stifled by having that second discipline. It shouldn't but it does. Even without Denly or Kuhn we still have Crawley, Cox, Leaning, Billings, Muyeye (playing today), DBD and Robinson so one of those has to miss out when everyone is available. That's not to say that Northeast wouldn't be a very good recruit to bolster our numbers but can't see him being signed if Denly is going to fulfil his contract.

The bowling attack more or less sorts itself though one more player will be signed in the course of the next few weeks. 
    I see you mention we are signing another bowler, are we going down the route of it being someone with potential or an experienced pro ? Really confused with the signing of Quinn though, four year contract seemed a tad too long. 
    Quinn is a good CC bowler but has had a few injuries. Even so, it's difficult to argue with 18 wickets at 22.94 especially when the overseas has 6 at 101.00! The bowler I mentioned has now signed and I would imagine that the County will make the announcement in the next few days. It is a signing more for the future rather than someone who is likely to walk into the team as a permanent fixture next season. This is a definite signing rather than an announcement from Denly that he is retiring which, once again, I should reiterate is just a rumour.
    I agree about Quinn. He has skills to offer in red and white ball. Though Groenewald had a very good career he offered us very little on the field. Quinn offers good competition and support. He has very decent career numbers.

Are you able to reference whether the new acquisition may be a recent debutant or an external recruit?
    The only one i can think of internally would be Jas Singh
    As he has now confirmed it on Instagram it is, indeed, Jaskaran Singh. Excellent news for the lad and thoroughly deserved for the way in which he has come back from missing a season at the age of 14 with a broken wrist.

The element I mentioned that is complete and utter rubbish on his Kent Academy profile (which Wiki have used) is the bit about him being at Kent since he was nine - he trialled in previous years but wasn't selected 'til he was 16.

I was team Manager when Jas played his first hard ball club game for Bexley, alongside Seb, at the age of 10. There were all sorts of things going on in that match such as the number of extras, the fact that players were being retired (admittedly by me) having scored next to nothing, a certain wicket keeper batsman batting at 7 and bowling leg spin and a opening bat playing for Sidcup (and who would return to Bexley the following year having left following his previous soft ball season with them because winter cricket training clashed with football) who was at Charlton but is now at Colchester - and who has a brother who plays in goal for the Addicks U18s and U23s:

https://bexley.play-cricket.com/website/results/2071890
    Looks like Kent got the wrong guy - Alex Colclough 3 wickets for 2 runs off 1 over …..!! 
  • Options
    I genuinely hope Kent can keep Denly around in some capacity. I could see him transferring to a white ball only contract.

I have a great deal of sympathy for the challenges he faced in his later career. Having produced a range of top class performances he earned the right to another crack at international cricket but was completely mishandled by England who tried to turn a fluent attractive stroke player into a modern day version of Tavare.

As to Kents position on Denly I suggest much will depend on whether Heino Kuhn is to stay and whether the finances will run to another overseas player.

I had a lot of time of young Mr Northeast but in his latter years his demeanour did everything to send the message we were holding him back. My expectation is he will still believe there are better opportunities out there. For someone who David English described as one of the most outstanding young talents ever seen at Bunbury he must be bewildered as to just quite his planned England career went. 

In terms of looking around Robinson deserves a chance to secure a settled spot. He is an excellent keeper and a good batsmen.

As an aside another nice reflection on our success and the state of cricket today

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/sep/21/kents-blast-triumph-a-rare-authentic-moment-in-an-endless-sprawl-of-cricket
    Kuhn won't be staying. He qualifies as an overseas player, hasn't produced enough to warrant filling one of those roles and he's 37 now anyway. His calf injury, by all accounts, hasn't been good either.

Agree that Robinson deserves to move up the order. Like a lot of keepers his opportunities to take a prominent position in the order has been stifled by having that second discipline. It shouldn't but it does. Even without Denly or Kuhn we still have Crawley, Cox, Leaning, Billings, Muyeye (playing today), DBD and Robinson so one of those has to miss out when everyone is available. That's not to say that Northeast wouldn't be a very good recruit to bolster our numbers but can't see him being signed if Denly is going to fulfil his contract.

The bowling attack more or less sorts itself though one more player will be signed in the course of the next few weeks. 
    I see you mention we are signing another bowler, are we going down the route of it being someone with potential or an experienced pro ? Really confused with the signing of Quinn though, four year contract seemed a tad too long. 
    Quinn is a good CC bowler but has had a few injuries. Even so, it's difficult to argue with 18 wickets at 22.94 especially when the overseas has 6 at 101.00! The bowler I mentioned has now signed and I would imagine that the County will make the announcement in the next few days. It is a signing more for the future rather than someone who is likely to walk into the team as a permanent fixture next season. This is a definite signing rather than an announcement from Denly that he is retiring which, once again, I should reiterate is just a rumour.
    I agree about Quinn. He has skills to offer in red and white ball. Though Groenewald had a very good career he offered us very little on the field. Quinn offers good competition and support. He has very decent career numbers.

Are you able to reference whether the new acquisition may be a recent debutant or an external recruit?
    The only one i can think of internally would be Jas Singh
    As he has now confirmed it on Instagram it is, indeed, Jaskaran Singh. Excellent news for the lad and thoroughly deserved for the way in which he has come back from missing a season at the age of 14 with a broken wrist.

The element I mentioned that is complete and utter rubbish on his Kent Academy profile (which Wiki have used) is the bit about him being at Kent since he was nine - he trialled in previous years but wasn't selected 'til he was 16.

I was team Manager when Jas played his first hard ball club game for Bexley, alongside Seb, at the age of 10. There were all sorts of things going on in that match such as the number of extras, the fact that players were being retired (admittedly by me) having scored next to nothing, a certain wicket keeper batsman batting at 7 and bowling leg spin and a opening bat playing for Sidcup (and who would return to Bexley the following year having left following his previous soft ball season with them because winter cricket training clashed with football) who was at Charlton but is now at Colchester - and who has a brother who plays in goal for the Addicks U18s and U23s:

https://bexley.play-cricket.com/website/results/2071890
    Looks like Kent got the wrong guy - Alex Colclough 3 wickets for 2 runs off 1 over …..!! 
    That was Alex's one and only year of playing hard ball cricket. Retired on a high!
  • Options
    103-4

Crawley gone for 47. He's getting lots of these but struggling to convert the starts into a big score
  • Options
    Muyeye appears to have just survived an appeal - for LBW, caught, stumped and bowled off the same delivery!
  • Options
    144-4

Robinson 50*
    Muyeye 14*
  • Options
    147-4

226 required off 128 overs (min) @ 1.77 per over
  • Options
    201-4

Robinson 70* (100)
    Muyeye 46* (76)

172 required off 118 overs (min) at 1.46
  • Options
    Muyeye 50* 

Well played lad
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    205-4

Muyeye brings up his fifty, Robbo still chugging along nicely on 70*

Target down to 168 ...
  • Options
    its the hope that kills you
  • Options
    Thinking about putting my dancing wellies on....
    213-4

160 required. Partnership of 110 to date. Put the wellies back in the cupboard for now at least Fanny
  • Options
    What an amazing finish to Lancs - Hants! Was watching, hope some of you were too. Now please hold on Somerset, don't let those bastards steal it
  • Options
    any idea how many more overs due today? 
  • Options
    redman said:
    any idea how many more overs due today? 
    5 overs left today and a full day tomorrow.

• Options
    thanks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stumps, Day Three

Kent are 275-5, needing another 98 runs for victory on the final day.

Ollie Robinson fell on the last ball of the day for 112 (well played boy) and Tawanda Muyere is unbeaten on 76.

At the moment there would appear to be no requirement for Ms Fanackapan to put on her sparkly dancing wellies ... but have them to hand, just in case!
  • Options
    Damn. Great knock though. Going to be hard to win though. New ball, 10.30 start.
  • Options
    OMG last ball of the day and Robinson is caught behind off Murtagh bowling off his short run

Fantastic effort by the two lads nevertheless

275-5 and 98 required off 96 overs (min)

Partnership of 165

Robinson 112 (163)
    Muyeye 76* (147)
    that is a sickener and potentially a real game changer ..  for Kent .. for the worst
  • Options
    Stumps, Day Three

Kent are 275-5, needing another 98 runs for victory on the final day.

Ollie Robinson fell on the last ball of the day for 112 (well played boy) and Tawanda Muyere is unbeaten on 76.

At the moment there would appear to be no requirement for Ms Fanackapan to put on her sparkly dancing wellies ... but have them to hand, just in case!
    I'll be ready, willing & as able as a 73 year old granny in wellies can be. 

But every thing crossed I won't be needed. 

Bring it on !!!!

Come on Super Kent....you've got this !
  • Options
    Jean, you transposed the numbers in your post above 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Jean, you transposed the numbers in your post above 
    I wish ! 

( You should have gone to Specsavers, young man !) 
  • Options
    OMG last ball of the day and Robinson is caught behind off Murtagh bowling off his short run

Fantastic effort by the two lads nevertheless

275-5 and 98 required off 96 overs (min)

Partnership of 165

Robinson 112 (163)
    Muyeye 76* (147)
    that is a sickener and potentially a real game changer ..  for Kent .. for the worst
    Next man in ... DI Stevens.

I would suggest that, if you are going tomorrow, you do try to get there on time. Because, either way, with this man at the crease, the game will probably be over in little more than an hour or so especially if Muyeye goes early. He might be God of the Crease but he ain't no Shepherd of the Tail!
  • Options
    Great knock by the one and only Ollie Robinson (and not the imposter reduced to toiling for the neighbouring lot)

Massive shame he got out to the last ball of the day, if just for a personal point of view. Imagine how good walking off with an unbeaten ton to your name would have felt, whereas now the joy is tarnished.
  • Options
    Genuinely believe that Robinson is technically a better opening bat than Cox. Issue I believe is that all the time he has the gloves (and he is the better keeper too) then Kent are reluctant to give him the job. But if and when Billings returns then he can keep and bat at 4 or 5 thus allowing Robinson to open.

The issue I have with Cox is that his lifetime average of 34.67 is very heavily skewed by that one mammoth innings of 238*. Without that, it drops to 25.28. His average of 27.57 this season is not too out of kilter with that and no hundreds and just four 50s from 23 innings isn't good enough. Cox, as we've seen, is a destructive white ball batsman and might be better utilised batting at 6 in the CC although there will be, should Denly return (as well as Billings) competition for that position from DBD and the up and coming Muyeye.

There are two or three players who will be out of contract at the end of the season and it will be interesting to see whether theirs are renewed, The Club, with the addition of two overseas players, should have one of the strongest squad in a long time across all codes.