Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rochdale v Charlton | Sat 06 Feb | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    agim said:
    I'd love to see two centre backs actually playing at centre back!
    Torn on this front. Everyone wants us to play players in their natural position, but everytime we've had Pearce in since he came back from injury he's made a diabolical error which has gifted the opposition a goal. Although other than those errors Pearce was fine, you can't make that kind of mistake once nevermind in consecutive games.

Then at the same time if we don't use Pearce we have to play Gunter or Pratley at RCB, which isn't their natural position so we're weak in a different way. 
  • Options
    Thank you for the excellent preview

I just tested positive for COVID-19  despite complying with all the guidance so I have already reached my pain and misery quota for one week. 

• Options
    Personally, I'd bring Pearce back into CB now and tell him his memory at the Club may be made from the remainder of the season.

But if we do that, we've again rotated. If we didn't rotate unnecessarily from a clean sheet, then the picture may have been clearer. I have no idea what I'd do or what the Mgt team are going to do! Or the team, too!
  • Options
    ' Unfortunately for Charlton fans, Spotland isnt a happy venue of late, our last victory came courtesy of a late Danny Hollands goal in a 3-2 win, that result would send us to the top of League One where we stayed the rest of the year'

Really?

I think we'll lose. We'll concede 3 or 4, and score 2 or 3.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    agim said:
    I agree but unless you want to bring Pearce back in alongside Deji? The pairing that were bullied by Accrington and dominated by Rochdale?

Until we have Famewo fit, I'd keep Gunter in there. 
    Are you saying Pearce well never play for us again then? I thought we were rubbish defensively against Pompey. Granted Deji and Pearce aren't first choice but I'm struggling to pick the same back four after that showing.  
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    agim said:
    Then at the same time if we don't use Pearce we have to play Gunter or Pratley at RCB, which isn't their natural position so we're weak in a different way. 
    Two clean sheets when Pearce has been taken back out of the starting lineup.
    Then conceded 3 against Pompey...
  • Options
    Don't think we'll be renewing Pearce's contract, unless he sees his future coaching career with us. I'd start him for this game though, with Gunter back at right back. Think we'll score first and draw personally. 2-2 stockley with one of them 
  • Options
    NO idea what the score will be or what our team will be

After bringing in a defender earlier in the window Barry-Murphy signed a forward and 2 midfielders on deadline day
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully the game will be postponed to allow us a few weeks to get Famewo back. Our entire season is depending on him and Innis to come back and stay fit. Nothing else seems to be working 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

So Inniss & Famewo may well be the answer, but Famewo is clearly the most important of the two to get back.

Famewo has played 8 games, held 6 clean sheets and conceded in just 2 games.

After that, surprisingly it's Pratley & Gunter then either of Oshilaja & Gunter or Oshilaja & Pratley.
  • Options
    Its probably important to get them both back... Dont think we scored many but you could stick Inniss anywhere in the penalty area and the opposition would have to stick two men with him just in case he wasnt the decoy - Same with in our own area

Famewo is the one you want back in the sense of having a Centre-Back who have use the ball at his feet and not just lump it

Means we're not just constantly giving it back to the opposition but we're genuinely building from the back.

None of our other Defenders give us that option
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Snow forecast for Rochdale on Saturday, preceeded by heavy rain. Might be sensible to defer purchasing your VP subscription until 2pm tomorrow (or following a possible pitch inspection).
    Can you leave it until after 2pm as this is the first chance I've had on a Saturday to buy a game... Bloody typical if its called off! 
  • Options
    Surely he has to start with DJ & Millar providing services for the forwards. I would put Stockley & Aneke up front and see if Chucks can grab a goal or two before he runs out of steam, when it does happen bring Ronnie on.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Snow forecast for Rochdale on Saturday, preceeded by heavy rain. Might be sensible to defer purchasing your VP subscription until 2pm tomorrow (or following a possible pitch inspection).
    Can you leave it until after 2pm as this is the first chance I've had on a Saturday to buy a game... Bloody typical if its called off! 
    You can wait till after 2pm yeah, available until at least just before kick off
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Davo55 said:
    Unless of course you want to use CAFC Cash but then I'd imagine that particular deadline has passed
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    Who's this Ghandour fella?
    U23 Striker signed from Non-League last season, did reasonably well in the EFL Trophy against Leyton Orient - He's Lebanese and their fans have suddenly clocked on that we've got one of their players (He's never played for their National Team) so constantly talk about him on twitter / facebook
    Thanks mate, I'd seen that on FB etc
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Davo55 said:
    Unless of course you want to use CAFC Cash but then I'd imagine that particular deadline has passed
    Yeah 9am day before the game I think
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not buying a decent CB on January 1 will turn out to be the biggest transfer error since we sold Kermogant.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I believe we are finding it easier away because teams are not putting so many behind the ball and waiting for a mistake (which we are a good bet to give them). Also, we are not experiencing the same onus to take the game to opponents as we are at home.

I can see us winning this unless Rochdale play ultra defensive, which I don't think is their style. Despite a few disapointing results, our away form is fine though and it is at home we need to find the answers.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Not buying a decent CB on January 1 will turn out to be the biggest transfer error since we sold Kermogant.
    Come on now, let's give Bowyer a fair crack with this squad... I'd love to agree with you but promised I'd give Bowyer 10 more games :no_mouth:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I believe it is clear that Sandgaard is giving him this season, which ultimately is all that matters. I wanted him out now because I felt a new face may have changed things. Let's see what he does under these circumstances. Ultimately, we all want Charlton to do well and to get promoted. This season! 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Southbank said:
    Who? There’s really not anyone out there that is both better than what we’ve got and could afford to pay. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Southbank said:
    Who? There’s really not anyone out there that is both better than what we’ve got and could afford to pay. 
    I suppose the players a new centre half needed to be better than (as a centre half) were Pearce, Pratley and Gunter. It can be even more complicated than that though. It is about missing attributes for me e.g. leadership, height, pace... Was there anybody out there that could add the attributes to compliment the defence and make it stronger?
  • Options
    3-5 to Charlton.

This is bonkers Rochdale after all!
  • Options
    I think if we get ahead, we need to look for more goals. Rochdale can score goals if we sit back.
  • Options
    Wouldn't start Gunter at all. Matthews to start at RB with Pearce at CB. Just don't think Gunters form warrants a start. Would also start Purrington over Maatsen.

We need to be brave going forward and start doing the simple things again...Pass the ball? Put enough on it to get it there. Chance to clear it then do it!

Jaiyesimi should start also.

2-2 Stockley & Schwartz
  • Options
    3-5 to Charlton.

This is bonkers Rochdale after all!
    Only charlton would score 5 twice in a season and only improve their goal difference by 2 or 3 each time.