Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rochdale v Charlton | Sat 06 Feb | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Always liked the big bar under the home stand and always had a friendly welcome in there, but I sense a classic 0-1 away win to ease the grumbles.
  • Options
    I think if we get ahead, we need to look for more goals. Rochdale can score goals if we sit back.
    They did that last game of the season when we beat them 4-0 ... they were silly enough to keep playing their way of Football even though it was effectively damaging their result - Of course they were safe so it didnt matter but its one thing I like about their Manager, hope he goes far and wouldnt complain if he ended up here, as he plays a good style of the game

Often wonder if he'd do better (defensively) if he was able to attract the sort of players a better team would sign
  • Options
    I think if we get ahead, we need to look for more goals. Rochdale can score goals if we sit back.
    We’ve got the best attack in the league. If we sit back at effing Rochdale then I think I’ll give up. 
  • Options
    Wouldn't start Gunter at all. Matthews to start at RB with Pearce at CB. Just don't think Gunters form warrants a start. Would also start Purrington over Maatsen.

We need to be brave going forward and start doing the simple things again...Pass the ball? Put enough on it to get it there. Chance to clear it then do it!

Jaiyesimi should start also.

2-2 Stockley & Schwartz
    I think that is a little unfair on Gunter as his bad games seem to be outside of his normal position. As a RB there isn't too much to choose between them.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Gunter at CB has conceded the least out of everyone but Inniss, Famewo and ahem Purrington (1 game as part of a 3)

Hate to prove Bowyer's meddling right, but Gunter & Pratley have been our most consistent partnership since Inniss & Famewo have been out. 

Burton aside, they were actually fairly solid in the other 3 conceding just 1 goal each in 2 of the 3 games. 

The pairing to avoid like the plague is Pearce & Pratley. 

PartnershipPlayed Conceded CPG
    Inniss & Famewo400.00
    Oshilaja & Gunter451.25
    Pratley & Gunter461.50
    Pratley & Pearce
    Oshilaja & Pratley381.67
    Pratley, Famewo & Purrington100.00
    Gunter & Famewo100.00
    Pearce & Famewo111.00
    Oshilaja & Famewo122.00
    Pratley & Inniss122.00
    Oshilaja, Gunter & Pearce122.00
    Oshilaja & Pearce144.00
  • Options
    10-11 to the free scoring addicks 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    I have no idea what Bowyer will do. 

I would probably go with something like this:

Amos
    Matthews - Gunter - Oshilaja - Purrington
    Jaiyesimi - Shinnie - F.Caskey - Millar
    Schwartz - Stockley

Bench:  M.Brewer, Pearce, Maatsen, Pratley, Morgan, Aneke, Ghandour

If we can't blood in some of the kids now, then when? I'm going to go for Rochdale 1-2 Charlton.
    Millar and Schwartz to score.  
    Updated.  Keeping Gunter & Oshilaja together until Famewo returns, but basically Oshilaja or Pratley will be fine. 

Amos
    Matthews - Gunter - Oshilaja - Maatsen
    Jaiyesimi - Smith - F.Caskey - Millar
    Schwartz - Stockley

Bench:  M.Brewer, Pratley, Purrington, Shinnie, Morgan, Aneke, Ghandour (or Aouachria depending on fitness)
  • Options
    MattF said:
    MattF said:
    Davo55 said:
    Snow forecast for Rochdale on Saturday, preceeded by heavy rain. Might be sensible to defer purchasing your VP subscription until 2pm tomorrow (or following a possible pitch inspection).
    Can you leave it until after 2pm as this is the first chance I've had on a Saturday to buy a game... Bloody typical if its called off! 
    You can wait till after 2pm yeah, available until at least just before kick off
    Unless of course you want to use CAFC Cash but then I'd imagine that particular deadline has passed
    Yeah 9am day before the game I think
    Not that it affects me personally, but this CAFC cash,? i understand it is cash received
    for season tickets, but surely cash is cash is cash, whenever you use it, and unfair to 
    anyone with such CAFC cash, against anyone buying the pass?
  • Options
    MattF said:
    MattF said:
    Davo55 said:
    Snow forecast for Rochdale on Saturday, preceeded by heavy rain. Might be sensible to defer purchasing your VP subscription until 2pm tomorrow (or following a possible pitch inspection).
    Can you leave it until after 2pm as this is the first chance I've had on a Saturday to buy a game... Bloody typical if its called off! 
    You can wait till after 2pm yeah, available until at least just before kick off
    Unless of course you want to use CAFC Cash but then I'd imagine that particular deadline has passed
    Yeah 9am day before the game I think
    Not that it affects me personally, but this CAFC cash,? i understand it is cash received
    for season tickets, but surely cash is cash is cash, whenever you use it, and unfair to 
    anyone with such CAFC cash, against anyone buying the pass?
    It's down to how they redeem it, basically the process in place must be really quite poor and had no IT development on creating the solution. 

• Options
    Wouldn't start Gunter at all. Matthews to start at RB with Pearce at CB. Just don't think Gunters form warrants a start. Would also start Purrington over Maatsen.

We need to be brave going forward and start doing the simple things again...Pass the ball? Put enough on it to get it there. Chance to clear it then do it!

Jaiyesimi should start also.

2-2 Stockley & Schwartz
    I think that is a little unfair on Gunter as his bad games seem to be outside of his normal position. As a RB there isn't too much to choose between them.
    Seasoned Pro so should be doing better. I know players can have a bad spell at any age but it's not just his defending..his passing has been so poor in either CB or RB and lands us in trouble alot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With Gunter Starting at RB,
    P 12, W7, D3, L2, GC 15.

With Matthews Starting at RB
    P10? W4, D3, L3, GC 13

Worth noting that Gunter at RB coincides with the run of clean sheets & wins we had. (one at CB)
  • Options
    Haven’t got a clue which combination of sideways midfielders will start this week.  It’s exciting to see what chopping and changing of mediocrity will take place.  Which area of the defence will be the reason for conceding 3 soft goals.  Which aspect of our performance will prompt Bowyer to tell us we were the better team.  3-2 to Rochdale.  A Gunter mistake for the 1st in the opening 5 minutes,, Aneke responds on the half hour mark.  We concede 2 quick goals on 57 & 61 minutes as a lose ball from Pratley means Matthews brings down one of theirs for a pen, and then Purrington puts through his own net.  Aneke once again in the 84th minute to prompt a late flurry and Curbs and the lads in the studio to say ‘we were unlucky not to get a point in the end’

Yours joyfully,

Cabbles 
  • Options
    Rochdale 3 Charlton 2. 
  • Options
    our strikers, as one of the top forward lines in the league smack three goals past a hapless Rochdale. 

Take home a point. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    If we don't score 3 or more goals I'll be disappointed. We should win this one. Get DJ and Millar on the wings with Stockley up top winning the aerial duals we will be fine. 

3-1 Charlton if Famewo plays. 

3-2 Charlton if not.
  • Options
    Would love to see DJ, Millar, Stockley and Schwarz start as our spearhead. Let's, for once, get the first goal.
  • Options
    I think we will likely see a box midfield rather than an actual diamond with Millar at the top. It’ll often swap between Forster-Caskey and Shinnie on the right of the box behind the front two.

Smith and Jaiyesimi to be on the bench and come on, it’ll be a shame for Morgan to miss out, but I think in this away game he probably will be on the bench.

Maatsen even with his rest looks a little off the pace and wouldn’t be disappointed to see Purrington start. But maybe with Millar in front of him, as such, from the start he will have more support and play better.

Stockley starts, that’s obvious. I think we may see Aneke start with him to carry on from his outstanding performance against Rochdale last time out. 

Amos
    Matthews Gunter Oshilaja Maatsen
    F-Caskey Pratley
    Shinnie Millar
    Stockley Aneke

Maynard-Brewer, Pearce, Purrington, Smith, Morgan, Jaiyesimi, Schwartz

Rochdale 1-4 Charlton Athletic
    Stockley
    Aneke
    Schwartz
    Jaiyesimi
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Watson won't be dropped. But I like that it isn't just me dropping him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Watson won't be dropped. But I like that it isn't just me dropping him.
    I agree I think he’ll be in the squad, just struggling to see who else misses out...
  • Options
    All I can say is you don't go to all that bother shipping out Williams & Maddison, bring in Smith & DJ and then not play them......surely.

The stats are obvious (as per the "70 games & Counting" thread). Score first & we usually won - conceded first & we almost certainly lose. Got to start with Millar, DJ & Smith. Then either Schwartz or Aneke to partner Stockley. The rest can just spread out.

Strange feeling we will win this one.

3-2 to the Londoners. Lisa Stansfield can go cry.....
  • Options
    I'll have a go as well... 

Amos
    Matthews|Gunter|Oshilaja|Purrington
    Smith|Watson|Pratley
    DJ|Stockley|Millar

I would put Aneke up top with Stockley but I don't want a center mid of just Watson and Pratley but I don't think it's a coincidence that they haven't played together, in midfield, when we have been shipping goals left right and center.  I know its not everyone's cup of tea but we have to stop shipping goals some how. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

So Inniss & Famewo may well be the answer, but Famewo is clearly the most important of the two to get back.

Famewo has played 8 games, held 6 clean sheets and conceded in just 2 games.

After that, surprisingly it's Pratley & Gunter then either of Oshilaja & Gunter or Oshilaja & Pratley.
    The only player with 0 goals conceded is Purrington (in a back 3) which does slightly beg the question why we haven't tried a back 3 again, considering how ineffective we've been defensively with a back 4
  • Options
    So excited for this one. If we can tighten up at the back I have a sneaky feeling we can grab a point and take it home with us. That 10th place spot is up for grabs and could be ours. Perhaps not. 3-1 Rochdale...all those soft goals eh Lee?
  • Options
    The question is.

Is this the game to bet on a mental final score ? We are due to stick a few past someone. Is this the game that ends 2-5 or 3-4 ? Bigs odds on those scoreline. Maybe this is the game ?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

So Inniss & Famewo may well be the answer, but Famewo is clearly the most important of the two to get back.

After that, surprisingly it's Pratley & Gunter then either of Oshilaja & Gunter or Oshilaja & Pratley.
    The only player with 0 goals conceded is Purrington (in a back 3) which does slightly beg the question why we haven't tried a back 3 again, considering how ineffective we've been defensively with a back 4
    We did against Peterborough but arguably the wrong players for a 3. 
  • Options
    Still hoping for a convincing win. Maybe tomorrow...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

We haven't conceded a goal in the 4 games Pratley and Watson started together in midfield either....... 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

We haven't conceded a goal in the 4 games Pratley and Watson started together in midfield either....... 
    So you're saying go 4-4-1-2? No GK Required 

Gunter - Inniss - Famewo - Maatsen
    Jaiyesimi - Watson - Pratley - Millar
    Smith
    Stockley - Aneke