Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jake Forster Caskey - waiting to hear if club will exercise 1 year option (p11)

Comments

• Options
    I assume the money increase is quite substantial otherwise we would happily cope with paying a small increase if we thought he could play a role in the squad. 

Is he worth such an increase when he doesn't touch the level of Fraser or Dobson and is more on par with Morgan + Mcgrandles? Probably not. 

People saying he's the best player in a reserve side against a team's under-21s miss the point completely. 
    But so far (luckily) we've gotten away with being able to play Dobson and Fraser in nearly every minute of every league game. What happens if one of them gets injured? 

I don't think anyone is missing the point. JFC is clearly good enough to be on the bench, he would probably be pushing for a starting role and at the very least would be an option to rotate. The fact Garner said it's nothing to do with his contract makes no sense because of the previous statement. 
  • Options
    At the moment we are playing with a hard working midfield 2, both sitting fairly deep. If we have injuries of suspensions there, JFC would seem well suited to this role, especially in games where we need experience in the middle, rather than Morgan's energy.

McGrandles seems to let games pass him by too much to play in a midfield 2.
  • Options
    he has one decent game against U21's! Obvs Garner don't rate him...
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Which is a massive judgment call from Garner as we signed McGrandles before he had even seen JFC play...
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    A ridiculous decision to activate the extension considering TS is trying to save every penny. Can only assume he badly misjudged the interest he thought JFC would attract.

It should be obvious you could get a small fee for a young striker like Davison who has a reasonable scoring record on loan at Swindon.

It should also be obvious that an older player like JFC who’s had a couple of bad knee injuries is exactly the type of player no one is going to pay a fee for.
    We would have got a fee if he had proved he had recovered from his ACL.

Both parties, wrongly, expected the same level of interest as at the end of the 20/21 season.
    What exactly do you mean by proved he had recovered?
    No club, apart from us, would sign a player who has played 1 league game after doing his ACL and hasn't played back to back games since April 2021 for a fee.
  • Options
    I assume the money increase is quite substantial otherwise we would happily cope with paying a small increase if we thought he could play a role in the squad. 

Is he worth such an increase when he doesn't touch the level of Fraser or Dobson and is more on par with Morgan + Mcgrandles? Probably not. 

People saying he's the best player in a reserve side against a team's under-21s miss the point completely. 
    Football is all about differing opinions and not everyone is keen on JFC as me which I understand. I would however make the point that Fraser and Dobson are decent League 1 level players. Dobson may even be able to play in the Championship. He is a super player. Nevertheless they are our midfield partners in a relatively average League 1 side. They aren't that special.
    JFC has represented England at every level below full international including 14 caps for England Under 21. He has also played over 80 games in the Championship. He is also only 28 years old. 
    I cannot agree that he 'doesnt touch the level of Dobson & Fraser' , neither of whom have any representative honours and neither of whom have played at Championship level.   
    You can weigh that up with the fact the only clubs seemingly interested in taking him on loan in the summer were  both from League Two. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Whatever the story is there is obviously much more to it than Garner not rating him.
  • Options

Football is all about differing opinions and not everyone is keen on JFC as me which I understand. I would however make the point that Fraser and Dobson are decent League 1 level players. Dobson may even be able to play in the Championship. He is a super player. Nevertheless they are our midfield partners in a relatively average League 1 side. They aren't that special.
    JFC has represented England at every level below full international including 14 caps for England Under 21. He has also played over 80 games in the Championship. He is also only 28 years old. 
    I cannot agree that he 'doesnt touch the level of Dobson & Fraser' , neither of whom have any representative honours and neither of whom have played at Championship level.   
    He’s had one good game against an under 21 side and looked pretty poor in the other games he’s played so far this season. 

League two would have been a good gauge of where he is at but the loan wasn’t sorted in time. He’ll be off in January. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Talal said:
    Swisdom said:
    He isn't playing in the league because we don't want to pay the money he would be due if he makes another league appearance.  This comes from Jake himself to someone I trust implicitly.

In addition he is very unlikely to earn what we are paying him now if he goes to Wimbledon or anywhere else in L2 anyway.

That's why he isn't complaining - he's getting paid pretty handsomely to do very little.  He'll move when he gets a suitable offer or when he is out of contract

Maybe I'm being naive but if he's happy enough on his current wage wouldn't it better for him to waive the clause, be involved in league games and put himself in the shop window for January if he wants to go? You say he's doing very little but he still has to train. Aren't matches meant to be the fun bit? 

I did think that too, or come to a compromise of a small increase but not all the way. 

Everyone jumps on the club for poor decision making but a senior pro signing a contract which ends up blocking him getting minutes than not budging on that is equally to blame if it is true.

Like Kirk, DJ, Stockley, McGillivary and Lavelle I would not be sad to see him move on in Jan IF we could find improvements with the saved budget.
  • Options
    It’s not just my opinion, Danny Senda who works for the club basically said he was the best player on the pitch last night. All this stuff about him being too old and slow - the guy is only 28 years old. Look at the Barry Bannon’s of the League. He is 32 and still pulling all the strings at Sheffield Weds. 
    Not exactly the same injury record...
  • Options
    I'm more concerned with the (seemingly)whoppers coming out of the club regards not playing him in a league game.
    I reckon there is more chance of me making the starting eleven.
  • Options
    Don't see how anyone can claim JFC is our best midfielder after watching the cup games this season. 

He isn't that good and is only being called for because he's not playing. 
    have you seen the others ????
    Did you watch him against Colchester?
    yes ,was our best player for 70 mins,needs more minutes
    He plays 70, Aneke replaces him as sub, hmmmm this sounds a good idea.  
  • Options
    Probably deserves another chance or two in a cup game 
    You are weird, but very funny.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Swisdom said:
    He isn't playing in the league because we don't want to pay the money he would be due if he makes another league appearance.  This comes from Jake himself to someone I trust implicitly.

In addition he is very unlikely to earn what we are paying him now if he goes to Wimbledon or anywhere else in L2 anyway.

That's why he isn't complaining - he's getting paid pretty handsomely to do very little.  He'll move when he gets a suitable offer or when he is out of contract

I thought BG said that its nothing to do with Jake making a league appearance.If he thought it was right to play jake he would. Does this then expose a lie by BG or have I misunderstood his comments?
    It suggests Garner should not have answered the question.

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    How much would people think JFC is on now and what would it increase to if he plays again in the league?

I get TS wants to cut costs, but surely we can't be talking a huge amount here. Especially given it's a contract TS was prepared to offer in the first place.

So if he knew he was then going to instruct Garner not to play him (assuming he has) to avoid the higher salary kicking in, then why offer him a contract that basically means he's being paid to do nothing for 46 games out of around 55.
    The figure JFC quoted is plenty to be living on tbf - he's not exactly on the bread line.
    I don't blame the fella for sitting on his contract.  It's a contract agreed and signed, I don't think he is doing anything wrong.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    The positive is JFC will start all our cup games .
    Which suggests that the club are telling whoppers.
    The player wants to play so shrugs his shoulders and says f*** you then.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Talal said:
    Swisdom said:

Maybe I'm being naive but if he's happy enough on his current wage wouldn't it better for him to waive the clause, be involved in league games and put himself in the shop window for January if he wants to go? You say he's doing very little but he still has to train. Aren't matches meant to be the fun bit? 
    Quite, unless I misunderstand transfers, his existing contract carries over, so based on the rumor, he’s one game away from a significant pay rise. Good luck finding an L1/L2 club willing to pick that up, and no championship side is going to take him. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Swisdom said:

Quite, unless I misunderstand transfers, his existing contract carries over, so based on the rumor, he’s one game away from a significant pay rise. Good luck finding an L1/L2 club willing to pick that up, and no championship side is going to take him. 
    You absolutely misunderstand transfers, the new contract would be a totally fresh negotiation. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    A quality, hard working and skilful professional who would substantially improve the league squad / first 11 - and help exciting young players, like Henry, through games.

It sounds so familiar…

See Conor Washington. 

It’s staggering and depressing that a club our size, with a (former) envied reputation for football infrastructure, lurches from a Belgian Fifa-playing moron, to Martin ‘hard shot’ Sandgaard. What has happened at our club?
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Whatever the story is there is obviously much more to it than Garner not rating him.
    I don't believe so...
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

"he's getting paid handsomely to do very little"

-what are you comparing with?supermarket staff? nurses?
    - that line describes every professional footballer imo
    -I expect he is on a low salary for Mens 1st team equivalent players here's why

He was badly injured with a long recovery period ahead when the club offered him new contract end of season ?20/21. CAFC were obliged to offer him a contract as he was injured doing his job i.e. playing football for CAFC.
    I think they would have offered him a really basic low pay contract with a view it was going to take a season for him to recover (why would you offer more?).
    He would be unable to refuse as a serious injury meant no other employer would take him on until he recovered.
    Alternative option-no contract- means no income at all.

The offer and take up of the extension is probably because he was a saleable asset with possibility of a (small) transfer fee. 

The fact he is not in our league squad more likely reflects the extent to which TS is clamping down on costs which everyone knows player wages are a huge % of revenue (over 100% according to Kevin McGuire), plus many midfielders in the squad.
    It is probably a "large" increase in salary  only if viewed from the small wage he is currently getting.

I am a big fan of JFC, but haven't seen him play so far. At his best he should be in the first 11, but after such an injury I can imagine it will take along time to get back to match fitness and sharpness, especially playing infrequently.

I wish him well and I'll be sad when he does leave the Valley, the injuries that have blighted his career will mean he has to start again, at a late stage in his career, lower down the football pyramid than his talent deserves.

I'm hoping a good cup run (any cup) might help him showcase his skills.

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    I don't believe so...
    That's that one put to bed then
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Swisdom said:

You absolutely misunderstand transfers, the new contract would be a totally fresh negotiation. 
    That’s an option, but that would assume that he’s prepared to come down from the wage rise people are asserting he’ll get. But the rumor was he wouldn’t do that when asked, so why do it now?  

My real point is that so many of the “facts” never quite make sense. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Swisdom said:

That’s an option, but that would assume that he’s prepared to come down from the wage rise people are asserting he’ll get. But the rumor was he wouldn’t do that when asked, so why do it now?  

My real point is that so many of the “facts” never quite make sense. 
    Because he’s never going to get that pay rise. Or play proper football here. He’s entitled to hold out for anything he wants, clubs are entitled to say no.

But there’s  no automatic carry over of the pay rise clause. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    I don't believe so...
    So for all the s*** players we have, JFC cannot get a game? Leave it out.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    I don't believe so...

I think they are nursing him so that he will be fit to move on in January. They know that he could be injured by some League 1 clogger and then he will be here until the end of his contract. Of course he could decide to stay anyway. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    I don't believe so...

I think they are nursing him so that he will be fit to move on in January. They know that he could be injured by some League 1 clogger and then he will be here until the end of his contract. Of course he could decide to stay anyway. 
    I don't think they are, are league 1 cloggers any more cloggy than the league 2 cloggers we have been happy to play him against?
  • Options
    Once again - bringing him on and Chuks of course made the difference in the last 20 mins. 
    Mcgrandles was hopeless again and Morgan remains a rabbit in the headlights