Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jake Forster Caskey - waiting to hear if club will exercise 1 year option (p11)

Comments

• Options
    Based on last night he'd look like a good player if he was under 21 and still developing. 

Doesn't get into our first eleven in League one. 
    Is he a better left back option than Sean Clare when Sess is not fit?
  • Options
    Based on last night he'd look like a good player if he was under 21 and still developing. 

Hasn't got the pace of Clare but does have a left foot, which is very important when playing on the left.
  • Options

Doesn’t have the pace - which garner likes. One of the reason Chin got a go and is rated
  • Options

Based on a couple of appearances, maybe 2 years ago... Yeah sure. Recently... Less so.
  • Options
    I only watched the second half but based on that I thought he is well worth a place on the bench. I get the pace issue, and generally I trust BG, but JFC has a lot to offer. In addition he's rusty because he hasn't played any competitive football. McGrandles? Same is apparently true, needs to recover from injury (far less severe than JFC's). He was the conductor of our second goal, but that's literally the first time I've seen anything from him that showed me why he was signed. Before that most of his passes were sloppy, imprecise and suggesting, like Kirk, that he's afraid of keeping the ball.

JFC also had to jump out of the way of an outrageous two footed tackle that happened under the nose of the ref, and that suggested to me that the mental scars of two bad injuries have not yet healed. 

He probably needs to move on in Jan but I would have thought that involvement in the league squad would be win-win for both parties.
  • Options
    At the end of the day I think most people would agree they'd rather have him on the bench than McGrandles, which is the important point IMO as he wouldn't be replacing any of Dobson, Fraser or probably even Morgan.
  • Options

Hasn't got the pace of Clare but does have a left foot, which is very important when playing on the left.
    Doesnt seem to bother Sessegnon?
  • Options
    I only watched the second half but based on that I thought he is well worth a place on the bench. I get the pace issue, and generally I trust BG, but JFC has a lot to offer. In addition he's rusty because he hasn't played any competitive football. McGrandles? Same is apparently true, needs to recover from injury (far less severe than JFC's). He was the conductor of our second goal, but that's literally the first time I've seen anything from him that showed me why he was signed. Before that most of his passes were sloppy, imprecise and suggesting, like Kirk, that he's afraid of keeping the ball.

JFC also had to jump out of the way of an outrageous two footed tackle that happened under the nose of the ref, and that suggested to me that the mental scars of two bad injuries have not yet healed. 

He probably needs to move on in Jan but I would have thought that involvement in the league squad would be win-win for both parties.
    I imagine TS would see the Win/Win slightly differently as not only would be paying double (apparently) the wages, it would also become a lot harder to move JFC on in Jan. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    When Sessegnon was out injured, he would certaintly have been a much better bet at left back than Clayden or playing Clare on the wrong side because he's a natural left footer.
  • Options
    At the end of the day I think most people would agree they'd rather have him on the bench than McGrandles, which is the important point IMO as he wouldn't be replacing any of Dobson, Fraser or probably even Morgan.
    I think wether he gets in the 11 now is totally irrelevant we are paying the wages of a play we either can't, or won't, play in the league. 

At the same time we have a massive center forward sized hole in our squad.

When you realise it's all totally self inflicted and could have been avoided at multiple stages of the summer it's both frustrating and doing no-one any favours.
  • Options

• Options
    edited November 2022
    I thought the positions and pockets of space he took up, and particularly his choice and range of passing were as crisp and classy as ever.

However I also thought he looked a little slow and cumbersome and times, and that he lost out on some battles for the ball I wouldn’t have expected him to.

Really hard to tell where he is at from these games. I assume he will play against Stevenage which will be a sterner test. 
    This is spot on.

He was Charlton's best player, but also looked a little slow and definitely didn't get totally stuck in.
    In fact he jumped over an incoming tackle from Brighton's best player Miller.

The question is was JFC playing within himself for a Papa Johns game, or has he lost some pace & stamina?

I suspect he was playing within himself and also didn't want to get injured again. 

Anyway, like Cabbles says it's immaterial.
    He's almost certainly not going to play for us again in the league and barring no takers he will be gone in January.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    He isn't playing in the league because we don't want to pay the money he would be due if he makes another league appearance.  This comes from Jake himself to someone I trust implicitly.

In addition he is very unlikely to earn what we are paying him now if he goes to Wimbledon or anywhere else in L2 anyway.

That's why he isn't complaining - he's getting paid pretty handsomely to do very little.  He'll move when he gets a suitable offer or when he is out of contract

I thought BG said that its nothing to do with Jake making a league appearance.If he thought it was right to play jake he would. Does this then expose a lie by BG or have I misunderstood his comments?
  • Options
    Wasn’t he due to join Wimbledon (on loan I think) but Don the Field Ranger naused up the paperwork 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Swisdom said:
    He isn't playing in the league because we don't want to pay the money he would be due if he makes another league appearance.  This comes from Jake himself to someone I trust implicitly.

In addition he is very unlikely to earn what we are paying him now if he goes to Wimbledon or anywhere else in L2 anyway.

That's why he isn't complaining - he's getting paid pretty handsomely to do very little.  He'll move when he gets a suitable offer or when he is out of contract

I thought BG said that its nothing to do with Jake making a league appearance.If he thought it was right to play jake he would. Does this then expose a lie by BG or have I misunderstood his comments?
    Dunno - but this came from Jake himself and you'd think he was at the forefront of the situation

Of course it's entirely possible he's just not good enough for Garner and this is becomes a convenient answer for Jake to give to save face.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JFC was playing against young, fit and skillful players in the Brighton midfield last night and yet for substantial periods of play he was matching them yard for yard and, more importantly, dictating the pace of the game. He was constantly looking for the ball and aware of what to do with it when it came to him. He should be on the bench at least for league games. 
    But TS won't pay him more money once he makes another league appearance (as said above), so why have him on the bench. 
  • Options
    How much would people think JFC is on now and what would it increase to if he plays again in the league?

I get TS wants to cut costs, but surely we can't be talking a huge amount here. Especially given it's a contract TS was prepared to offer in the first place.

So if he knew he was then going to instruct Garner not to play him (assuming he has) to avoid the higher salary kicking in, then why offer him a contract that basically means he's being paid to do nothing for 46 games out of around 55.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    A ridiculous decision to activate the extension considering TS is trying to save every penny. Can only assume he badly misjudged the interest he thought JFC would attract.

It should be obvious you could get a small fee for a young striker like Davison who has a reasonable scoring record on loan at Swindon.

It should also be obvious that an older player like JFC who’s had a couple of bad knee injuries is exactly the type of player no one is going to pay a fee for.
    We would have got a fee if he had proved he had recovered from his ACL.

Both parties, wrongly, expected the same level of interest as at the end of the 20/21 season.
  • Options
    How much would people think JFC is on now and what would it increase to if he plays again in the league?

I get TS wants to cut costs, but surely we can't be talking a huge amount here. Especially given it's a contract TS was prepared to offer in the first place.

So if he knew he was then going to instruct Garner not to play him (assuming he has) to avoid the higher salary kicking in, then why offer him a contract that basically means he's being paid to do nothing for 46 games out of around 55.
    The figure JFC quoted is plenty to be living on tbf - he's not exactly on the bread line.
  • Options
    The positive is JFC will start all our cup games .
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    A ridiculous decision to activate the extension considering TS is trying to save every penny. Can only assume he badly misjudged the interest he thought JFC would attract.

It should be obvious you could get a small fee for a young striker like Davison who has a reasonable scoring record on loan at Swindon.

It should also be obvious that an older player like JFC who’s had a couple of bad knee injuries is exactly the type of player no one is going to pay a fee for.
    We would have got a fee if he had proved he had recovered from his ACL.

Both parties, wrongly, expected the same level of interest as at the end of the 20/21 season.
    What exactly do you mean by proved he had recovered?