Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jake Forster Caskey - waiting to hear if club will exercise 1 year option (p11)

Comments

• Options
    There has to be an underlying reason for not playing JFC. He is or was a better player than all of those that are regularly featured. And not being on the bench is also quizzical. 🧐
  • Options
    I don’t believe that interview.  BG would’ve given him a shot by now after 2 wins in 11, unless he’s performing shockingly in training.  I don’t actually think he would improve us that much to be honest.  Maybe the pre-ACL version would have done, I’ve just never got the hype, at all, despite statbank or the general consensus.  For me, a league one player before the injury and unfortunately for him, 2 injuries later will make it ridiculously hard.

I hope that he finds somewhere in Jan like Gilbey did with Stevenage and can just enjoy his football again.  The injuries must’ve been devastating and he deserves a bit of good luck, but it won’t, and shouldn’t be with us 
  • Options
    Maybe he's just terrible? 

Hardly run th
    e cup games he's been a part of...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    He's not being played because he didn't want to be here in the Summer. Or even in the build up to it. We planned on selling him as. I understand it a couple of agreements were changed last minute by acquiring clubs.

I want us to use the best players but if their heart isn't in it, we'll see no more than we already are.
    I am guessing Wimbledon were one of the teams in for him, does anyone have an idea of the other(s).  To the best of my knowledge, Wimbledon were in late, but you say he didn’t even want to be here in the run up to the season. That would imply there was other interest potentially.

if he’s been adamant about not being here since the summer, then fair play to BG for not starting him.  This changes it a bit for me 
  • Options

Hardly run the cup games he's been a part of...
    Playing the odd cup game is hardl;y going to get him match fit or in form though.  I think a run of games would see him make a positive difference.
  • Options

As opposed to our midfield being absolutely superb 
  • Options

I would say that would be fair, if he had played some games for the u21s in-between games.  He didn't play game in September, at all, for anyone.

The game he played last season, he looked pretty good, if not a bit rusty.  Then disappeared until the summer.

He is not blameless in this but his second ACL has cost him two years of his career, £100s of thousands of pounds, a chance to play championship football, probably for the last time, and he is now stuck in limbo.  

If that had happened to me I would have the right hump.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I feel for JFC big time. I don’t want to say anything more other than I think he has been stitched up and would be more than capable to offer something different and perhaps better than 50%+ of our existing midfield. Garner’s hands are tied and if he stays for the rest of the season, we will only see him in the cup, even if he sits on the bench for a few league games ‘for show’…
    Somebody’s being economical with the truth then 😉

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/ben-garner-charlton-midfielders-lack-of-league-one-game-time-not-down-to-contract-appearances-trigg
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I would say that would be fair, if he had played some games for the u21s in-between games.  He didn't play game in September, at all, for anyone.

The game he played last season, he looked pretty good, if not a bit rusty.  Then disappeared until the summer.

He is not blameless in this but his second ACL has cost him two years of his career, £100s of thousands of pounds, a chance to play championship football, probably for the last time, and he is now stuck in limbo.  

If you're going to sulk on thousands of pounds a week because you're unhappy you can't play Championship football again. I'd rather you just retired and we got someone that can actually give the squad value. 

We have too many squad members currently that aren't worth the expense we're giving them, JFC is definitely one of them. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

If you're going to sulk on thousands of pounds a week because you're unhappy you can't play Championship football again. I'd rather you just retired and we got someone that can actually give the squad value. 

We have too many squad members currently that aren't worth the expense we're giving them, JFC is definitely one of them. 
    Indeed, if he thinks we’re stopping him from playing in the Championship he could always ask to be released from his contract. Costs the club nothing, saves on the wage bill. 

I’ve no idea how much of this is true, but if he didn’t want to be here, as has been mentioned a few times, he shouldn’t have signed a contract that allowed us to keep him here for two years. 

It was a gamble on both sides that hasn’t worked out, that’s all. Nobody needs to feel sorry for anyone. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:

And the reason he is here, and sulking, and or not proving his fitness is because WE extended his contract...

You can't blame him for that.

I also dont think he is earning as much as you imply.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:

Indeed, if he thinks we’re stopping him from playing in the Championship he could always ask to be released from his contract. Costs the club nothing, saves on the wage bill. 

I’ve no idea how much of this is true, but if he didn’t want to be here, as has been mentioned a few times, he shouldn’t have signed a contract that allowed us to keep him here for two years. 

It was a gamble on both sides that hasn’t worked out, that’s all. Nobody needs to feel sorry for anyone. 
    He asked they club to not extend his contract in the first place.  I suspect he would have been quite happy if we released him when the window was open.

He signed the two year contract when he was injured.  
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    I feel for JFC big time. I don’t want to say anything more other than I think he has been stitched up and would be more than capable to offer something different and perhaps better than 50%+ of our existing midfield. Garner’s hands are tied and if he stays for the rest of the season, we will only see him in the cup, even if he sits on the bench for a few league games ‘for show’…

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/ben-garner-charlton-midfielders-lack-of-league-one-game-time-not-down-to-contract-appearances-trigg
    Had no seen that article. Have thought Ben had spoken a lot of sense, thus far…
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Surely the point is that JFC still wants to play and prove himself? We want our players to have Championship ambition, no? I have no issue with players who see themselves as better than us in our current position, if they started to show it we’d improve. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

that sounds like crap. so what then Garner is the reason? "football reasons" oh yeah cos we're really doing well without him in the side. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

that sounds like crap. so what then Garner is the reason? "football reasons" oh yeah cos we're really doing well without him in the side. 
    Could be an attitude problem in training because he never got his move in the transfer window and that he felt surplus to requirements for whatever reason. Jury’s out for me.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:

Surely the point is that JFC still wants to play and prove himself? We want our players to have Championship ambition, no? I have no issue with players who see themselves as better than us in our current position, if they started to show it we’d improve. 
    He doesn't want to play for us. 

He wanted to be paid for years while injured and then swan off on a free getting a handsome signing on fee elsewhere. He's now sulking because we wanted to get some compensation back for the years he's been with us. 

If he showed any ability or effort in training he'd be in the team, he doesn't. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

He asked they club to not extend his contract in the first place.  I suspect he would have been quite happy if we released him when the window was open.

Exactly - he wanted to be here, and more importantly, get paid, while he couldn’t play, and then just walk away once he was fit. I’m pretty sure the club would have been more than happy to have him rehabilitate with us out of contract, but he wanted the money as well. No criticism from me for that. 

But once he wanted to be paid, the club wanted something back. Either a player for season, or an asset they could sell. 

No way would they let him go for the option year. Now it turns out the manager who arrived either don’t rate him or doesn’t think he’s fit enough. The club tried to move him, but couldn’t. 

As I said, both sides signed the deal, both wanted a different outcome, and I’m sure neither is happy with the way it turned out, but it’s either nobody’s fault, or they are both equally to blame. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

He doesn't want to play for us. 

He wanted to be paid for years while injured and then swan off on a free getting a handsome signing on fee elsewhere. He's now sulking because we wanted to get some compensation back for the years he's been with us. 

If he showed any ability or effort in training he'd be in the team, he doesn't. 
    It’s a massive cock up either way. Ridiculous situation. He might not want to play for us but he will to keep himself in the shop window. He can’t be worse than what we’re seeing. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Good players don’t become bad players even after serious injuries unless they are old or have lost pace. JFC is 28 years old and is an intelligent midfielder. We will let him leave in January and wherever he goes he will become their dominant midfielder 
    Our management is clueless on this. 
    Yes they do. Happens all the time. The saying 'he was never the same after xyz' is said a lot about injuries. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

So, he was more than happy to sign a contract & get paid whilst out injured but then not happy to adhere to the terms now he is fit. Can't have it both ways. He knew the terms when he signed (the fact we could trigger an extension) and now he is sulking because of it. 
  • Options
    Good players don’t become bad players even after serious injuries unless they are old or have lost pace. JFC is 28 years old and is an intelligent midfielder. We will let him leave in January and wherever he goes he will become their dominant midfielder 
    Our management is clueless on this. 
    Samir carruthers?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

So, he was more than happy to sign a contract & get paid whilst out injured but then not happy to adhere to the terms now he is fit. Can't have it both ways. He knew the terms when he signed (the fact we could trigger an extension) and now he is sulking because of it. 
    The contractual terms might not have been broken but the spirit in which it was agreed  has been.  That's the issue.

At the end of the day both parties have been at fault and both parties have been left in the worst possible situation.

The club could have made it right, at zero cost, 4 or 5 different times.  They didn't because the knew better...
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    What is farcical is that the club have known for months that JFC is not going to play in league games (making him a complete cost liability to the squad) but we still failed to agree a deal for AFC Wimbledon to take him off our hands in August.

Whoever takes care of deadline day paperwork since Chris Parkes left appears seriously incompetent based on the complete mess up with incoming and outgoing transfers on deadline day.
  • Options
    I don’t think a league appearance would trigger a payrise, that would be a very strange new contract. More likely that due to his injury history he’s on a contract with a lower wage but higher appearance fee than other players. Which would normally be a smart move but it’s not when we aren’t even using him when he’s fit 
  • Options
    It was a gamble by Charlton to trigger that contract extension. I understand why they did it with Davison to get a fee, but no one was gonna part with their hard earned for a fella coming off the back of 2 ACL injuries, no mater what his pedigree. We did the right thing looking after him when he's was injured playing for us, but with hindsight we should have let him leave if he wasn't in the mangers plans. I really like JFC as a player, and feel a bit sorry for him tbh. Why that move to Wimbledon didn't go through is an absolute mystery. Can we still loan him out to the national league? That might be a way of getting him fit and good for us and him.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

But he made a choice to take that decision out of his own hands. He has to live with that, no one forced him.