Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Only compare us to Wigan

Comments

• Options
    I don't even remember Warner!
  • Options
    And they still had players that wanted to stay there and not come to us maybe he could see bowyers flaws 
  • Options
    Enter SANDMAN

SANDMAN

To sack, or not to sack? That is the question—
    Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous Portsmouth,
    Or to take arms against a Lee of troubles,
    And, by opposing, end them? To fire, to keep
    No more—and by no keep to say we end
    The heartache and the thousand nationwide shocks
    That Deji is heir to—’tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be wished! To fire, to keep.
    To keep, perchance to dream—ay, there’s the rub,
    For in that keep of deathly Bowyerball what dreams may come
    When we have shuffled through this torpid moil,
    Must give us pause. There’s the respect
    That makes calamity of so long life. 
  • Options
    2-3 or not 2-3, that is the question (for the score prediction thread)
  • Options
    The only way to judge our season is to compare us with Wigan .. both of us were in the same situation in September/October concerning embargo, working solely under wage cap and hoping for a takeover .. luckily we got our hero in TS but look at Wigan and where they are. Another 0-5 home defeat that’s 3 this season and still no new owner ......  this could have have so easily been us .

So we are not doing that bad after all ... if you add injuries, wonder goals scored against us plus the times we hit bar and post we have come along way and a fine line from going on a very good run .
    Think anything we archive will be a bonus this season our work really starts in the summer when LB and SG will have time to build a squad and have a proper pre season .

You don’t undo 4/5 years of cost cutting and poor ownership in 5 months 

Hi Lee...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Gallen: "Top six this year, then promotion next year"

Didn't Bowyer ask Benji recently who said top 6 this year? #justsaying
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Comparing ourselves to a club in administration is nonsense. 

They've been cutting costs since July and haven't had a manager since November. 

Trying to portray this season as anything other than a failure is laughable. 
    What’s laughable is people expecting we can sign a dozen loans and free agents over the space of a two week period and then expect to be able to waltz our way to promotion.

That’s incredibly insulting to our rivals who have in some cases built slowly, steadily and deliberately for a number of seasons in a row to get to the top of this league. Sunderland have been here going on three years, most others have been at this level even longer.

Our status as a larger fish in the pond should mean we can work our way to the top of the pile quicker than others but we don’t have a divine right to be in the top six immediately.
    If we started with no players that would be true.  All these teams that have "had years" to build their squads did they have the base we started with? 

Amos, Philips 
    Pearce, Oshilaja, Purrington 
    JFC, Morgan, Lapslie, Pratley, Lapslie, Gilbey
    Williams, Oztumer, Doughty
    Bonne, Washington, Aneke

Add in 5 reasonable loans, which you would expect most teams at this level to have and a splash of our U23s (which most clubs at this level don't even have) you would expect a mid table finish wouldn't you?  

• Options
    OK - this is where we need a bar chart showing numbers of loans and free signings signed per team, correlated with the time of signing.

will leave it to the more statistical of you, but the kids go to bed at 9pm so any time till then will be good.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    To continue on the Shakespeare theme, time for some more bastardised Macbeth:
    Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
    Creeps in this dull debate from day to day
    To the last syllable of recorded time,
    And all our witterings will make no odds
    To Charlton's actual game. "Out, out, Lee Bowyer!"
    Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the pitch
    And then is subbed again: it is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

What’s laughable is people expecting we can sign a dozen loans and free agents over the space of a two week period and then expect to be able to waltz our way to promotion.

That’s incredibly insulting to our rivals who have in some cases built slowly, steadily and deliberately for a number of seasons in a row to get to the top of this league. Sunderland have been here going on three years, most others have been at this level even longer.

Our status as a larger fish in the pond should mean we can work our way to the top of the pile quicker than others but we don’t have a divine right to be in the top six immediately.
    Everyone before the season started said play-offs. 

Everyone after the summer window said play-offs. 

Everyone after January said play-offs. 

Suddenly now it looks like we're failing, people are bending over backwards to try and cut Bowyer some slack. 

The takes about squad turnover would make sense if we improved over the season. When, in fact, we've been progressively getting worse the more time Bowyer is given to work with the squad.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Everyone before the season started said play-offs. 

Everyone after the summer window said play-offs. 

Everyone after January said play-offs. 

Suddenly now it looks like we're failing, people are bending over backwards to try and cut Bowyer some flack. 

The takes about squad turnover would make sense if we improved over the season. When, in fact, we've been progressively getting worse the more time Bowyer is given to work with the squad.

Play-offs are still very much within reach. We are sitting at 1.53ppg and ppg for sixth place each of the last five (completed) seasons are:

18/19: 1.58
    17/18: 1.54
    16/17: 1.58
    15/16: 1.60
    14/15: 1.50
    20/21: 1.53 (CAFC)

I'd have to go back to find the exact post but if you'd offered me 43 points from 28 games back in September, I'd have taken it.

The fact we've got there backwards (fast start, slow recently) is not ideal but we've shown we're capable of a run of good results out of nowhere (who expected Oct/Nov run of results?) and despite all the doom and gloom on here, there's absolutely no reason we can't get back to that point again. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Bowyer said himself that anything other than top six would be a failure relatively recently. Assuming he wasn't lying and bearing in mind it is still possible to finish in the top six I'm a bit bemused as to why he mentioned Wigan at all.
  • Options
    Bowyer said himself that anything other than top six would be a failure relatively recently. Assuming he wasn't lying and bearing in mind it is still possible to finish in the top six I'm a bit bemused as to why he mentioned Wigan at all.
    Didn't he later shout down Benji for asking about top six? Asked who set top six as a target or something like that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We really have reached the stage, where I am seriously worried that Boywerism really is a cult. I truly think Ronniemoore believes that we are comparable to Wigan, an that makes no sense at all to any reasonable person. Try telling Thomas, that everything he has done so far, and any support he has given the club, actually amounts to nothing, and we are comparable with Wigan. 

Sorry anyone who believes this, needs to take a look at their mindset. 

Bowyerism as you called it has reached the stage where there are some people that believe he is beyond any critisim at all. Everything that he has done is because of circumstances.

There is a valid argument for having sacked him in December, give him until we can't make the play offs, give him the summer, even to give him until this time next year.  Regardless of the results in the mean time. 

However anyone that doesn't think he has made mistakes, that have directly impacted results over the last year, or more, is either not watching the games or saying it to get a reaction. 
  • Options
    What Steve Gallen said back in November 2020

Where will we be in five years?

Difficult to predict. QPR spent millions to get to the Prem but are still 15th or 18th in the Championship.

Want to get out of league 1 within two years. Top six this year, then promotion next year (HE'S NOT SAYING HE DOESN'T WANT OR DOESN'T THINK WE CAN GO UP THIS SEASON!)

Then stabilise like Preston and Spanners in Championship, building slowly, then we can look up.  That's the way SG thinks is the way to do it, through stability.
    So top six this season is the minimum requirement, anything less is failure.
  • Options
    We've signed a squad load of players since October and have been poor apart from a 6 game spell. 

Are they all bad players or is the manager not getting enough from them? 

Or maybe, as many believe, it takes 6 months for new players to gel?
  • Options
    We've signed a squad load of players since October and have been poor apart from a 6 game spell. 

6 months? Where do you get that from? No squad should ever take 6 months to gel. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:

6 months? Where do you get that from? No squad should ever take 6 months to gel. 

Sir Alex Ferguson said it routinely took 5 months for his new players to gel at ManU when he was manager. I've heard six mentioned for years. We've added half a team this season. More? I would think it takes half a season. Could be wrong!
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Sir Alex Ferguson said it routinely took 5 months for his new players to gel at ManU when he was manager. I've heard six mentioned for years. We've added half a team this season. More? I would think it takes half a season. Could be wrong!
    Just admit it, we’re all friends here, you made up the “six months” thing didn’t you?
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I think the quote you are referring to, although I can't find it, is about foreign players taking 6 months to settle and get used to the pace of the league.   I don't think that's applicable to Watson and Gunter 🤷‍♂️

Plus 10 of our 18 on Saturday were here last season. 
  • Options
    Lincoln who are currently top had 14 players come in during the summer window.

What's there managers secret? 
  • Options
    Lincoln who are currently top had 14 players come in during the summer window.

What's there managers secret? 

They could do it before the wage cap come in ..... we had to do all our deals during the wage cap also div one teams had months to prepare we had a few weeks