Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Time To Start The Yoof?

Given the fact Lee has stated that certain players are not trying, should we blood some youngsters from the youth team instead?

Comments

• Options
    Said elsewhere giving young players a chance has worked well for us since the Prem years but it’s completely dried up this season.

Maybe the fact that the players coming through now are those we signed after relegation in 06/07 so they aren’t as talented, but I’d like to think there’s 1 or 2 who can offer something in the remaining games .

Bowyer only stumbled across Doughty because he was forced to give him a chance. He might be still going out on loan in non-league had there not been an injury crisis last season. I’m sure Bowyer said something along the lines of Doughty did better than he expected.

Either way we need to find a way to get the last few wins we need to stay up in this league. We can’t keep rotating the likes of Watson, Pratley, Pearce etc and wondering why it’s not working.

It’s something I’d like a new manager to seriously look at but I’m not so sure while Bowyer’s still here. Coming in to this team in the current situation won’t do a young players confidence any good.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    We know Vennings would give his all and he has legs - two things we're sorely lacking. As part of a three in midfield, I don't see how he could do much worse than we're doing already. I'm not sure what has happened to Albie Morgan who seems frozen out.

Charlie Barker looked very competent and is 18 now. That's old enough, isn't it? Rochdale's Baah is 17 and playing all the time.
  • Options
    It would only need to be two or three added to the squad. A mobile centre half and two mobile centre midfielders would do it for me. Maybe someone up front to come of the bench and get some minutes.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    We know Vennings would give his all and he has legs - two things we're sorely lacking. As part of a three in midfield, I don't see how he could do much worse than we're doing already. I'm not sure what has happened to Albie Morgan who seems frozen out.

Charlie Barker looked very competent and is 18 now. That's old enough, isn't it? Rochdale's Baah is 17 and playing all the time.
    Vennings hasnt been seen for the U23s for ages now, got to worry if he's picked up quite a serious injury himself
  • Options
    Not under this manager - he will destroy them.
  • Options
    Absolutely, if bowyer is the long term plan (which I hope he ain’t) then I’d plan for summer now, half arsed loanees and players who’s contract are up soon and are not going to be renewed I’d park them now, something radical is needed after all.

Amos
    Gunter, Barker, Famewo, Purrington 
    Jaiyesimi, Morgan, Henry, ????
    Washington, Aneke

Long as we get to the 50 point mark.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Throwing Henry and Barker in now would probably do them more harm that it would do us good.

Through no ones, currently at the club, fault we have a massive void in 19-21 year olds ready to step up. Gallen said its what he is working on now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Throwing Henry and Barker in now would probably do them more harm that it would do us good.

Through no ones, currently at the club, fault we have a massive void in 19-21 year olds ready to step up. Gallen said its what he is working on now. 
    When did he say that?
  • Options
    Wtf has happened to Albie this season? He looks much fitter, stronger, works harder but can't get a game. I don't see what Smith offers that Albie doesn't 
  • Options
    Wtf has happened to Albie this season? He looks much fitter, stronger, works harder but can't get a game. I don't see what Smith offers that Albie doesn't 
    he's probably fallen out with the boss
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

When did he say that?
    During the Portsmouth VP broadcast. 

• Options
    We produce a lot of players and it’s a shame that the one year when we desperately need a couple to step up it seems to be that none of them our ready. I hope Vennings will get an opportunity before end of the season.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

When did he say that?

Cheers for this, hadnt remembered Gallen saying it either
  • Options
    Now I know he’s not doing great, and in my view has probably come to the end of the road. I also wish he’d played a few more this season, but to say he destroys our youngsters is a bit ridiculous. His success rate of getting them in and doing well has been pretty good. Dijksteel, Grant, Aribo and Doughty all did well. 

I personally think it’s time for AMB to be given a go and I’d like to see Henry given some game time.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    RC_CAFC said:
    Now I know he’s not doing great, and in my view has probably come to the end of the road. I also wish he’d played a few more this season, but to say he destroys our youngsters is a bit ridiculous. His success rate of getting them in and doing well has been pretty good. Dijksteel, Grant, Aribo and Doughty all did well. 

I personally think it’s time for AMB to be given a go and I’d like to see Henry given some game time.
    Playing devils advocate... Three of those; Dijksteel, Grant, Aribo had already made their debuts for Charlton

Grant returned off the back of a successful loan and got lucky as Bowyer intended to go with Taylor and Vetokele as his first choice strike partnership, instead Igor got injured again, Karlan took his opportunity and the rest is history with him.

BUT; Bowyer had the faith in Albie Morgan to give him his debut AND throw him in from the start for the two Play-Off semi finals
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

If we had started Morgan and lapslie in the middle and Barker at CB every game this season would we be worse off points wise than we currently are? I would be shocked if we were!
    That's true but to throw Barker in, who isn't even 1st choice at U23 level is probably not the best idea. Even I agree with Lee on that one. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Bowyer dug him out before,Morgan went off on loan, came back and worked hard - improved his game massively and put some good performances in. What does Bowyer do? - leaves him on the sidelines. It’s almost like he doesn’t like it when a player improves. He completed sucks the confidence out of players. He would rather go with crap like Pratley and Watson.  His has 0 man management skills and the sooner his time is up the better.
  • Options
    I guess it happens to all academies, as player production is cyclical, but we seem to be in a slight dip at the moment

Who for example was the last defender we brought through? Konsa and Gomez are both 23, where are the 19/20 year old defenders following them, players who have been in the academy since they were 10? The likes of Barker, Ness, Vega were all brought into the U18s/U23s (along with other players like Harness, Mingi, Quitirna,  Aouachria, Ghandour etc)

• Options
    edited February 2021
    RC_CAFC said:

Playing devils advocate... Three of those; Dijksteel, Grant, Aribo had already made their debuts for Charlton

Grant returned off the back of a successful loan and got lucky as Bowyer intended to go with Taylor and Vetokele as his first choice strike partnership, instead Igor got injured again, Karlan took his opportunity and the rest is history with him.

BUT; Bowyer had the faith in Albie Morgan to give him his debut AND throw him in from the start for the two Play-Off semi finals
    And subed him off at half time in the second leg. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RC_CAFC said:

And subed him off at half time in the second league. 
    To be fair I didnt blame him, he deserved to start after his performance @ Doncaster but was a passenger that second leg
  • Options
    I guess it happens to all academies, as player production is cyclical, but we seem to be in a slight dip at the moment

Who for example was the last defender we brought through? Konsa and Gomez are both 23, where are the 19/20 year old defenders following them, players who have been in the academy since they were 10? The likes of Barker, Ness, Vega were all brought into the U18s/U23s (along with other players like Harness, Mingi, Quitirna,  Aouachria, Ghandour etc)

Probably a lot to do with a the fact that anyone who is 20 now would have been 10 in 10/11 season.  Who wants their kids to grow up to be the new Gary Doughty!

In all seriousness the Gomez, Grant, Konsa batch would have first come into the academy either while we still in, or soon after we left, the premier league.

We won't even seen the full impact of Roland for another 3 or 4 years.   Most of the kids from Shelvey and Solly to the 3 above would have joined then.  I don't expect as many for a good while yet. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

When did he say that?

Thanks, going to be an interesting summer.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen Jay Mingi play at all I did not pay for the streams for the mickey mouse cup games. I would like to see some of these U23 lads given a chance at least?
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

All valid points. I think my main thing was about him destroying them. I don’t think it is fair to say that. I think all of those four developed while playing with Bowyer. 

I really hoped that we could keep seeing that progression but it hasn’t happened unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Has anyone seen Jay Mingi play at all I did not pay for the streams for the mickey mouse cup games. I would like to see some of these U23 lads given a chance at least?
    I've seen him & the under 23's play quite a lot until the first lockdown nearly a year ago.
    Like a few of the players at this level it is difficult to judge how ready they are for first team football, Mingi, Ness & Johl Powell [who is a Charlton fan] all looked quite promising but seem miles away from a league appearance.
    The under 23 system is an idea invented by a certain Ged Roddy, but i think Bowyer & quite a few managers don't rate the system, hence the phrases not ready/ has not played 'mens football'.