Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Time To Start The Yoof?

Comments

• Options
    clive said:
    Has anyone seen Jay Mingi play at all I did not pay for the streams for the mickey mouse cup games. I would like to see some of these U23 lads given a chance at least?
    I've seen him & the under 23's play quite a lot until the first lockdown nearly a year ago.
    Like a few of the players at this level it is difficult to judge how ready they are for first team football, Mingi, Ness & Johl Powell [who is a Charlton fan] all looked quite promising but seem miles away from a league appearance.
    The under 23 system is an idea invented by a certain Ged Roddy, but i think Bowyer & quite a few managers do rate the system, hence the phrases not ready/ has not played 'mens football'.

Do or don't?

After Thomas's comments the other day Roddy's first meaningful action could be to scrap our u23. Ironic really. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    clive said:
    Has anyone seen Jay Mingi play at all I did not pay for the streams for the mickey mouse cup games. I would like to see some of these U23 lads given a chance at least?
    I've seen him & the under 23's play quite a lot until the first lockdown nearly a year ago.
    Like a few of the players at this level it is difficult to judge how ready they are for first team football, Mingi, Ness & Johl Powell [who is a Charlton fan] all looked quite promising but seem miles away from a league appearance.
    The under 23 system is an idea invented by a certain Ged Roddy, but i think Bowyer & quite a few managers do rate the system, hence the phrases not ready/ has not played 'mens football'.

Do or don't?

After Thomas's comments the other day Roddy's first meaningful action could be to scrap our u23. Ironic really. 
    Sorry don't, i've edited my post.
    It would be very strange for Roddy to scrap a system that he invented & this could be causing some friction between Bowyer & Roddy.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    clive said:

Do or don't?

Didn’t TS talk about considering options but his preference is to improve the academy rather than scrap it?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    clive said:

Do or don't?

Didn’t TS talk about considering options but his preference is to improve the academy rather than scrap it?
    Yeah but u23s is ment to be the "path way" to the the first team.  It quite clearly isn't.  I don't think you have to have an u23 team unless you are a category 1 academy.
  • Options
    It has been until this season, and that fact it’s not is probably partly down to Bowyer not giving players a chance and partly down to fewer stand out players coming through.
  • Options
    I would not want a player's initial experience of first team football to be with Bowyer as manager in a demotivated and fearful squad.
  • Options
    The old Football Combination or Midweek League was far better in my opinion, where youngsters would come up
     against experienced players, coming back from injury, left out of first team etc.
    Now you get older squad players getting no game time at all.
  • Options
    I think Thomas may opt for a B team option in the long run.
  • Options
    Can we get Cat.1 status if we take that option does anyone know?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I would not want a player's initial experience of first team football to be with Bowyer as manager in a demotivated and fearful squad.
    This....the sooner Bowyer pisses off the better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can we get Cat.1 status if we take that option does anyone know?
    No, but..... 

If you are in a position where your U23s are realistically a U20s team you can then look at what you do with your older players.

We have been in a situation for quite a while where we have had players on the books, with no prospect of 1st team football, or a loan, just we can field an u23s team.  That doesn't help anyone. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't be against Ghandour getting a run out off the bench, but any of the youngsters I'd prefer not until we're safe.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Throwing Henry and Barker in now would probably do them more harm that it would do us good.

Through no ones, currently at the club, fault we have a massive void in 19-21 year olds ready to step up. Gallen said its what he is working on now. 
    If we had started Morgan and lapslie in the middle and Barker at CB every game this season would we be worse off points wise than we currently are? I would be shocked if we were!
    Likewise I think if he had been given the same amount off minutes at RB as Gunter,  Matthews would have contributed more.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    I wouldn't be against Ghandour getting a run out off the bench, but any of the youngsters I'd prefer not until we're safe.
    ValleyPass subscriptions would go through the roof from the CAFC Lebanese Supporters Branch
  • Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/albie-morgan-absence-explained-by-charlton-athletic-chief/

A lot of competition for places apparently. If I was Morgan I'd be looking for an exit ASAP.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/albie-morgan-absence-explained-by-charlton-athletic-chief/

A lot of competition for places apparently. If I was Morgan I'd be looking for an exit ASAP.
    Morgan is still only 21 and is developing into a good player. A far better player now than even last year. His yellow for holding back a player who would have been through onto the back four is a good example. He has played I guess about 50 games in both league 1 and the Championship.
    I would have thought he was doing well and being managed effectively.
  • Options
    Two on the bench to get them used to the first team would not hurt at all and if we had to or wanted to bring them on, they could do no worse. 
  • Options
    Which of these under 23s, who have all appeared in the league this season, have improved be it on their previous form with us or on the form shown at their previous/parent club:

Morgan
    Smyth
    Levett
    Smith
    Maatsen
    Famewo
    Barker
    Jaiyesemi
    Millar
    Vennings

I don't think we've had any other under 23s this season in the league but I might be wrong

• Options
    Charlie Barker is at least twice the player that OShilaja And Pearce are added together - given our defensive horror show CB has to make the squad doesn't he?  He's just played a dozen or so minutes for the U23's, and he only played a bit longer than that last week.
    Do we know if he's injured?  Or has his playing time U23s been restricted cos he's on the fringe of the matchday squad?
    Can't keep putting the clapped out and flat crap donkeys in the team and expect anything other than more misery.
    Charlie acquitted himself tolerably well when Bows had fewer options - Deji and Jason are not the answer and ain't getting any better - CB has to be involved - if fit & well.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Charlie Barker is at least twice the player that OShilaja And Pearce are added together - given our defensive horror show CB has to make the squad doesn't he?  He's just played a dozen or so minutes for the U23's, and he only played a bit longer than that last week.
    Do we know if he's injured?  Or has his playing time U23s been restricted cos he's on the fringe of the matchday squad?
    Can't keep putting the clapped out and flat crap donkeys in the team and expect anything other than more misery.
    Charlie acquitted himself tolerably well when Bows had fewer options - Deji and Jason are not the answer and ain't getting any better - CB has to be involved - if fit & well.
    Mate he is an u18 who had to play at the start of the season as he was the only eligible player at the club (who wouldn't impact the embargo related squad limit).  He is 3rd or 4th choice for the u23s for a reason.  He is just 18. As in 2 weeks ago. 

Bowyer is right, on this occasion. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Croydon said:

Morgan is still only 21 and is developing into a good player. A far better player now than even last year. His yellow for holding back a player who would have been through onto the back four is a good example. He has played I guess about 50 games in both league 1 and the Championship.
    I would have thought he was doing well and being managed effectively.
    21 is hardly young in football these days, and he needs first team football to improve, not u23s.

Our midfield is crying out for some creative spark, and he can't even make the bench at the moment. If Bowyer is our manager next season, Albie needs to leave for the sake of his own career 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Throwing Henry and Barker in now would probably do them more harm that it would do us good.

Through no ones, currently at the club, fault we have a massive void in 19-21 year olds ready to step up. Gallen said its what he is working on now. 
    If we had started Morgan and lapslie in the middle and Barker at CB every game this season would we be worse off points wise than we currently are? I would be shocked if we were!
    That's true but to throw Barker in, who isn't even 1st choice at U23 level is probably not the best idea. Even I agree with Lee on that one. 
    If Barker isn't 1st choice at U23 level, who is keeping him out of the team & why wasn't he drafted into the 1st team instead of having a right back & a midfielder filling the CB positions. Barker looked pretty decent early in the season so the guys keeping him out must be at a good level ?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

That's true but to throw Barker in, who isn't even 1st choice at U23 level is probably not the best idea. Even I agree with Lee on that one. 
    If Barker isn't 1st choice at U23 level, who is keeping him out of the team & why wasn't he drafted into the 1st team instead of having a right back & a midfielder filling the CB positions. Barker looked pretty decent early in the season so the guys keeping him out must be at a good level ?
    Barker got drafted into the first team ahead of an U23 etc. because he was a scholar when he made his debut - Meant he didnt take up a space in the first team whilst we were under the embargo.

Was basically a repeat of Marcus Rashford - Got lucky with the circumstances of the opportunity that was given to him and didnt waste it
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Barker got drafted into the first team ahead of an U23 etc. because he was a scholar when he made his debut - Meant he didnt take up a space in the first team whilst we were under the embargo.

Was basically a repeat of Marcus Rashford - Got lucky with the circumstances of the opportunity that was given to him and didnt waste it
    Yes thanks I see cafc43v3r posted the same in response to a different post. I forgot all that with the age thing but even so I don't understand why Bowyer didn't promote someone from the under 23s as we still had a bit of Cap leeway to play with

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Do you know he isn’t first choice for sure? He might have been injured? He came on as sub today and looked very sharp. He moves like a proper pro somehow. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Yes thanks I see  cafc43v3r posted the same in response to a different poster. I forgot all that but even so I don't understand why Bowyer didn't promote someone from the under 23s as we still had a bit of leeway to play with.
    With the wage cap you also had a squad cap, so although Mingi, for example, wouldn't count for the wages he would take a place.  That's why Barker and Henry were drafted into a match day squad a few months ago.  Reason 37468 why the way cap was shit
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Yes thanks I see cafc43v3r posted the same in response to a different post. I forgot all that with the age thing but even so I don't understand why Bowyer didn't promote someone from the under 23s as we still had a bit of Cap leeway to play with

It was nothing to do with the Salary Cap

The transfer embargo we were still under meant we could only have a squad of so many players, that was compounded by the fact that we'd previously given 10min debuts in the League Cup and EFL Trophy to U23s so they were instantly regarded as a first team player. 

Didnt work regardless in hindsight but had Mingi played instead of Barker, we wouldnt have been able to have signed Dylan Levitt when we were able to as it meant the squad was at capacity
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

It was nothing to do with the Salary Cap

The transfer embargo we were still under meant we could only have a squad of so many players, that was compounded by the fact that we'd previously given 10min debuts in the League Cup and EFL Trophy to U23s so they were instantly regarded as a first team player. 

Didnt work regardless in hindsight but had Mingi played instead of Barker, we wouldnt have been able to have signed Dylan Levitt when we were able to as it meant the squad was at capacity
    No that's not true, after the embargo was lifted.  We were limited to a squad of 25 over 18 year olds.  

Lapslie was, officially, an u23.  Unless he was in our 25 man squad he didn't count towards the wage cap, but couldn't play.  That extends to Mingi, Ness and others.

It's why we are still able to have over 21, but under 23, u23s that don't count to the wage cap, but can't play for the first team.

That's what happens when the EFL set one lot of rules and the premier league the other. 
  • Options
    The one thing that is clear is that even if there aren't the youngsters equipped to step up we have to get the average age of the team down. We must have one of the oldest squads in the division as we have 7 players who will be in the 31-36 range next season

• Options
    Personally I'd start to integrate the best of the bunch, I'm not close enough to suggest who that might be, but it's the natural progression for a club like Charlton and also  reinforces the whole 'progress with us' mantra.