Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Charlton Athletic | Tues 2 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    Important to get the 3 points. No sign today of any player unrest. Everyone gave their all. JFC, Smith and Watson made a big difference. We actually had a central midfield today. And Pearce gave his all. 
    But, we do need a rebuild. This team just doesn’t play as a team. 
    For now, though, the 3 points were huge. In Bows we trust (because that is my preference..... but with big reservations).  
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    “[Telling the players not to think about the top six is] reverse phycology. Now you understand what I’m doing. I just thought the pressure of me and everybody else talking about the top six, I just felt it got to the players and some of them maybe couldn’t handle that pressure. Some can take pressure and some can’t. That’s why I decided to take the steps I have.

Explains his overachieving comment?
    If true (and I guess a good result should at least be worth the benefit of the doubt here) then this is actually a legitimately good thing to hear from Bowyer. Both that he's taken a step back to reconsider and that he actually DID (apparently) change his approach. Does make me wonder if someone (Sandgaard or Curbs or maybe someone else entirely) has "suggested" he takes a day off/step back.

Doesn't mean for a minute that all is right again as until we get two or three results in a row this may very well end up a false dawn and we're back to "Bully" Bowyer Vs "Sensitive" players this time next week but I am trying to focus on the positives as much as possible.
  • Options
    We were in control of this game , Amos did not have a save to make we defended excellently tonight from front to back .. I been saying for a few days now that Stockley makes us play long ball leave him out and get back to playing .. and it worked we looked a much better footballing side .

There a few comments around attacking LB for dropping and not bringing on Stockley but guys he was injured had a tight muscle after Saturday ...

Special mention for Pearce Watson and JFC outstanding tonight ....

Another cert pen not given .. it’s becoming a real joke now 

well done boys fully deserved 3 points 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    LouisMend said:
    “[Telling the players not to think about the top six is] reverse phycology. Now you understand what I’m doing. I just thought the pressure of me and everybody else talking about the top six, I just felt it got to the players and some of them maybe couldn’t handle that pressure. Some can take pressure and some can’t. That’s why I decided to take the steps I have.

If true (and I guess a good result should at least be worth the benefit of the doubt here) then this is actually a legitimately good thing to hear from Bowyer. Both that he's taken a step back to reconsider and that he actually DID (apparently) change his approach. Does make me wonder if someone (Sandgaard or Curbs or maybe someone else entirely) has "suggested" he takes a day off/step back.

Doesn't mean for a minute that all is right again as until we get two or three results in a row this may very well end up a false dawn and we're back to "Bully" Bowyer Vs "Sensitive" players this time next week but I am trying to focus on the positives as much as possible.
    I thought he sounded very careful with his words during both before and after the game today.

Especially beforehand, sounded like he was thinking about what to say a bit more
  • Options
    Didn’t watch so can’t comment on the performance. Wigan’s league position doesn’t lie, obviously difficult circumstances for them this season but I’d be surprised if they stay up. 

A win is a win, not getting carried away at all, if anything just relief it’s a win which should ease fears of falling into a relegation battle. But we have been unlucky at times this season, so you gotta take 3 points whoever the opposition and however we play. 
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    Three Points away from home and a clean sheet.
    we should have had a penalty without question 
    but we always seem to get WANKER referees in this division.
    i still think trying to rely on a 1-0 lead even against a team as bad a Wigan is suicidal.
    we will have to play better on Saturday if we want to keep the momentum going.
    but I am a happy Valiant tonight 👍👍👍👍
    Note.........we have not been referred to as The Valiants for decades!

UP THE ADDICKS!
  • Options
    Dug in and got the points, despite a scare or two. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    LouisMend said:

I thought he sounded very careful with his words during both before and after the game today.

Especially beforehand, sounded like he was thinking about what to say a bit more
    Didn't we have this "someone's had a word" about a month ago? Was it after the Rochdale home game? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We were in control of this game , Amos did not have a save to make we defended excellently tonight from front to back .. I been saying for a few days now that Stockley makes us play long ball leave him out and get back to playing .. and it worked we looked a much better footballing side .

There a few comments around attacking LB for dropping and not bringing on Stockley but guys he was injured had a tight muscle after Saturday ...

Special mention for Pearce Watson and JFC outstanding tonight ....

Another cert pen not given .. it’s becoming a real joke now 

well done boys fully deserved 3 points 
    We were not in control in the second half, far from it, and we still played lots of long ball - look at Benjys stats about the amount of headers Chuks won.

I think we were well worth the 3 points, and the players, specifically the ones you mentioned battled very hard. But in my opinion we did not look like a good footballing side, we rarely have done since the early parts of the championship season, and a hard fought 1-0 win against bottom of the table pretty much indicates as much. 
  • Options
    The players really fought for that today. Great effort levels, a clean sheet and 3 points. Hopefully we'll build on that now. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Didn’t see the game due to being at work so can’t comment on the performance but chuffed to get three points after recent deflating disappointments. Hopefully we can build on this and use it as a springboard to better things. I guess time will tell but for tonight, I’m happy.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    cazo said:
    I’m watching Oxford at the moment thay will beat us Saturday no doubt about it by 2 or 3.
    That's it. Stay positive.
    That’s ok I will we beat Wigan get real
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    LouisMend said:

Didn't we have this "someone's had a word" about a month ago? Was it after the Rochdale home game? 
    We did. And that's why I'm not getting carried away just yet.

On the other hand, if part of the problem has been pressure he's been feeling himself or down to his approach, it's not impossible someone DID have a word then but his competitive/perfectionist side made him ignore it and he's since been reminded.

He does talk directly to TS semi-regularly so maybe it's part of the conversation where the one person who probably can legitimately "pull rank" on him has done so.

It's speculation from me. But it seems to fit with the facts as I see them, including Sandgaard's unusual level of faith/patience in LB. He sees potential that he wants to harness but results may yet force his hand.
  • Options
    When we beat Rochdale 2-0 a month ago we thought we stopped the rot, so even though we won tonight I’m still feeling the same as I did before we got 3 points tonight, hugely pessimistic and expecting nothing from us against Oxford.

Very relieved we won but a bit disappointed we didn’t win it much more comfortably as that would have really helped the players confidence.

We still have things to work on as when I’m watching us I feel like the midfield doesn’t click with the strikers? Maybe it’s just the way we play, or just my opinion!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A win.
    A clean sheet.
    And Browny calls me after the game 😁😁😁😁😁😁

I nearly didn’t answer the phone as I was still listening to Valley Pass 🤣🤣

😎
    Show off :p

;)
  • Options
    I can't say I enjoyed much of that.  Washington's running from first to last was immense.  He took up good positions in the box as well but the low cross/pull back didn't come in or it was a little too tight.  For the first time in weeks a lot of performances were par.

The attitude was right from first to last, we just can't press as a midfield unit.  Wanted Smith to snap into the Wigan players sometimes, he could have won the ball if he did.  But then I thought and could see him thinking if I don't win the ball they're past me and onto Watson or two passes from a shot.  He was the only out right midfielder who looked like he could press, but couldn't do it on his own.

Can't see how anyone wouldn't play Pearce in this league.  His communication was top class, his agitation when moving out to the channels when Matthews was up field and caught out was crucial - it might look ugly but he's almost damned with his lack of pace.  His heading and clearances were always effective.  I'm OK with Oshilaja, I see the defensive problems starting more in midfield, but his lack of height limits the yards he gets on headed clearances.

I just can't see enough defensive energy in that midfield.  They're all capable players, they're all willing.  None of them have that snap  in turnover or secondary ball.  If we had one more player like Washington played today, but in central midfield we might make a team.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    I can't say I enjoyed much of that.  Washington's running from first to last was immense.  He took up good positions in the box as well but the low cross/pull back didn't come in or it was a little too tight.  For the first time in weeks a lot of performances were par.

The attitude was right from first to last, we just can't press as a midfield unit.  Wanted Smith to snap into the Wigan players sometimes, he could have won the ball if he did.  But then I thought and could see him thinking if I don't win the ball they're past me and onto Watson or two passes from a shot.  He was the only out right midfielder who looked like he could press, but couldn't do it on his own.

Can't see how anyone wouldn't play Pearce in this league.  His communication was top class, his agitation when moving out to the channels when Matthews was up field and caught out was crucial - it might look ugly but he's almost damned with his lack of pace.  His heading and clearances were always effective.  I'm OK with Oshilaja, I see the defensive problems starting more in midfield, but his lack of height limits the yards he gets on headed clearances.

I just can't see enough defensive energy in that midfield.  They're all capable players, they're all willing.  None of them have that snap  in turnover or secondary ball.  If we had one more player like Washington played today, but in central midfield we might make a team.
    Lapslie would have been excellent in that midfield.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Very pleased to get three points towards becoming safe from the threat of relegation. That’s the biggest positive for me today. Players put in a shift but we were let’s face it pretty poor. Hoping that it’s a turning point but I’m afraid I really didn’t see much apart from honest effort to make me think it is. Roll over Oxford on Saturday and I’ll be delighted. 
  • Options
    I only saw the second half, but I thought Pearce & Watson were immense. A much needed clean sheet & 3 points 🙌🏻