Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Charlton Athletic | Tues 2 March 2021

Comments

• Options

• Options
    Rob Lee back for Saturday on VP
    Ahhh he's not is he? Get Brown or Nelson in as regulars. Rob Lee there was crap !
    Minto did joke that they should have Nelson back as he has 100% record with us this season 
  • Options
    A much needed win, and a better though not perfect performance against poor opponents that you would expect us to beat

You can see why Wigan are down there, but they managed to get through Maatsen several times in the second half, but the final ball wasn't good enough AND our centre backs and Watson did the blocking and clearing really well. Wigan's shooting was awful, but they had a few opportunities from he edge of the box which a better team would have got on target

Chuks was a beast in the first half, we just need to give him the right service, which isn't just high balls and crosses, as he's unstoppable when running from deep as with the goal.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Well we won & kept a clean sheet. But maybe its me but I'm blowed if I can see all the positivity that others are expressing.

For most of that second half, we've been outplayed and under heavy pressure from a team that is now bottom of the table. OK Wigan didn't have many clear cut chances (in fact, did they have any real clear cut ones?) but the ball has been flying around our penalty area, Wigan have had a number of corners and we've struggled to get and hold onto the ball for much of that half.

Amazed that no-one has commented on it but again Bowyer has gone all defensive at the end as he has done previously when it has cost us. Why take Aneke off and bring on Gunter, leaving us with no-one up front but a knackered Washington for the last 8 or 9 minuters before Schwartz came on? It just invites pressure. We got away with it tonight but history has shown we usually don't.

And my God, Bowyer sounded and looked so miserable in his interview at the end.

Delighted we won and stopped the rot. Good to see Watson have his best game for the club and old warhorse Pearce put in a good performance. But I can't see that this does anything other than paper over the cracks. If we win at oxford as well, then I'm happy to admit I'm wrong. 
    Aneke was injured. Surprised you missed that. 
    Hopefully he will be OK for Saturday.

I am sure I saw a little hint of a smirk from Bows in that interview as well.
    I know Aneke was injured. Point I'm making is why replace him with a defender and not Stockley or Schwartz? If Stockley wasn't fit to come on, why on earth was he on the subs bench?

All I saw in the Bowyer interview was a man devoid of any passion, enthusiasm or spirit. Blimey, he didn't even look as if he had enjoyed the victory.

Maybe he was just cold. 

• Options
    It wasn't brilliant was it.  But importantly it was much better and gives us something to build on.  I am not convinced Smith is an upgrade on anything else we have/had but he did OK. 

Watson was outstanding, JFC and Pearce other stand outs. Chuks was Chuks and Famewo was Famewo. 

Some of the others were a bit meh but they all put a shift in.  Which hasn't been true often enough. I would say they are all now in possession of the shirt.  Hopefully we can build on that and not have 4 or 5 changes for Saturday. 

I thought our attacking set pieces were really bad, especially the "rehearsed" ones.  We are normally more clever and inventive.  Maybe that's a result of using so many different players?  

Bowyer's comment about giving them last Sunday off, is it usual to only have 1 day off a week?  If we play most Tuesdays they would only ever have Wednesday off?    I know they don't work full day etc but that doesn't seem much down time?  No that's got me being negative or digging him out, I just thought it was an intresting point. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Chuks: "the defender pushed me over, but I don't get those kinds of decision"
    Looked to me from the camera behind the goal that Chuks had a chunk of the defenders shirt.
    Trying to keep himself upright after being rugby tackled from behind
    Yes but if the ref sees it then he thinks it’s each of them fouling.
    So 6 of one and half a dozen eh... been interesting if it had been on the half way line, def free kick, but if your theory is correct who too..
  • Options
    Sounds sort of ok, mind you he ain't got a good stat so far, last visit was Home to Gillingham and we all remember what happened then,... he ain't got another offspring playing for Oxford has he?
    I believe he has! 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Sounds sort of ok, mind you he ain't got a good stat so far, last visit was Home to Gillingham and we all remember what happened then,... he ain't got another offspring playing for Oxford has he?
    I believe he has! 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Did Chuks say how bad his injury is?
    He said he would be alright.  
    Not exactly.......I think he said “I think (or), I should be ok”.
    Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
    Incidentally, a twinged hammy (if that’s what it is), is as rule at least a couple of weeks!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Did Chuks say how bad his injury is?
    He said he would be alright.  
    Not exactly.......I think he said “I think (or), I should be ok”.
    Feel free to correct me if I am wrong......a twinged hammy (if that’s what it is), as rule is at least a couple of weeks!
    If it is tinged, might just be tight/stiff. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't say this was a Pearce type game but playing with Famewo allows him to dominant and gamble for headers when he has Famewo sweeping up. 

• Options
    Much needed win, dug in second half but it wasn’t pretty. Defended way too deep for my liking and was expecting an equaliser the whole of the second half. Not going to get excited though because it was against bottom three Wigan with a poor home record. Oxford on Saturday will be a completely different kettle of fish.
    Arrange these 6 words into a well known phrase or saying.

pissing for the thanks fireworks on 

😕😕😕
  • Options
    Lucky 6 o’clock kick off. When did we last lose a 6 o’clock kick off?
    Brentford away last season
  • Options
    Well done, lads, a performance I wasn't expecting. Not great, but at least gutsy and organised. The midfield was back! Watson's 2nd half and Smith's first were quality, but JFC was the difference for me. Plus Chuks of course. A welcome return to a decent showing for Maatsen and Washington too. 
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    Three Points away from home and a clean sheet.
    we should have had a penalty without question 
    but we always seem to get WANKER referees in this division.
    i still think trying to rely on a 1-0 lead even against a team as bad a Wigan is suicidal.
    we will have to play better on Saturday if we want to keep the momentum going.
    but I am a happy Valiant tonight 👍👍👍👍
     That's more than likely because EVERY ref in this league is a WANKER.

Was nobody aware of this? They're reffing at this level for a reason you know.

Swallow it.
  • Options
    A wins a wins a win. 

Gotta take the ugly(ish) win and a clean sheet, altogether positive (although Wigan are a not a good team). Let’s hope it is the start of a decent run  rather than one pinprick of light between two immensities of darkness. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pleased we won. Nothing else really matters. Hoping for another 4/5!wins before the end of the season to keep us in the top half and to not finish the season in huge negativity. 
  • Options
    Didn’t watch for the first time in months. 
    Sounds like Matthews played well. I think he’s crucial to stability at the back.
    Hopefully chucks is ok and Bow sticks to that 11 for the next game. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Whoscored.com stats from tonight:

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1486671/Live/England-League-One-2020-2021-Wigan-Charlton

@Leuth will be pleased; Maatsen ranked third
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    “[Telling the players not to think about the top six is] reverse phycology. Now you understand what I’m doing. I just thought the pressure of me and everybody else talking about the top six, I just felt it got to the players and some of them maybe couldn’t handle that pressure. Some can take pressure and some can’t. That’s why I decided to take the steps I have.

Explains his overachieving comment?
    Then why correct himself less than two weeks later? Defeats the purpose doesn't i
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    “[Telling the players not to think about the top six is] reverse phycology. Now you understand what I’m doing. I just thought the pressure of me and everybody else talking about the top six, I just felt it got to the players and some of them maybe couldn’t handle that pressure. Some can take pressure and some can’t. That’s why I decided to take the steps I have.

Explains his overachieving comment?
    Yeah but you don't bloody tell everybody!!

Shades of Beckham after his booking v Wales.

"It was deliberate," Beckham told The Daily Telegraph. "I am sure some people think that I have not got the brains to be that clever, but I do have the brains." 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Before we all get to excited lets no forget this is a Wigan side who are 24th and a goal difference of -28