Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Charlton Athletic | Tues 2 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    Much needed win, dug in second half but it wasn’t pretty. Defended way too deep for my liking and was expecting an equaliser the whole of the second half. Not going to get excited though because it was against bottom three Wigan with a poor home record. Oxford on Saturday will be a completely different kettle of fish.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cheered me right up that has. Just wanted a commited performance, and we got a win.

More of the same weekend please, with a little improvement.
  • Options
    A win.  Thank fuck for that.  Now all we need is another eight or nine from the next fourteen games.
    Piece of cake, we've just been fooling around with everyone, getting them to think we are Shite..
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Chuks: "the defender pushed me over, but I don't get those kinds of decision"
    Looked to me from the camera behind the goal that Chuks had a chunk of the defenders shirt.
  • Options
    How many pitches in this league this year are Danson Park standard? Ridiculous 

We haven’t even had a bad winter.

Can only think it’s cost cutting
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Looked to me from the camera behind the goal that Chuks had a chunk of the defenders shirt.
    Trying to keep himself upright after being rugby tackled from behind
  • Options
    Nice to get a  win but it wasn't great viewing especially 2nd half . JFC Pearce and Watson did well . Thought the three premier league players were our weak links tonight  .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maatsen was targeted and did well for the most part. Millar was greedy and wasteful. Who is the third PL player?

Ah Smith. Yes he was average. 
  • Options
    lee has unearthed the magic formula - chucks up top and no pratley 
  • Options
    Would like to see that lineup but with Morgan in for Smith, think we would look a lot more dangerous with Albie spraying the ball around, especially as Millar and Washington like to get in behind.
  • Options
    Just to say.......We beat Wigan earlier in the season to start our unbeaten run. 
    Very true, Golfie ...... and we've scored the 'double' over Wigan.
    A bit like Burton did to us last week. 

Watch out, Gobby .... we're back, sort of.

• Options
    Result and clean sheet way more important than the performance in my opinion. Something to build on hopefully. Pearce had his best game for us this season and Watson helped plug the gaps in cm. Probably should have scored more 1st half goals which perhaps would have made the 2nd half more palatable. Although Wigan threatened more in 2nd half I don't believe Ben 
  • Options
    Amos was really troubled
  • Options
    Would like to see that lineup but with Morgan in for Smith, think we would look a lot more dangerous with Albie spraying the ball around, especially as Millar and Washington like to get in behind.
    I don't think your be seeing Morgan for a long while
  • Options
    Chuks still has the best minutes per goal ratio of every player in the league (103).
    Superb stat!
  • Options
    I’m watching Oxford at the moment thay will beat us Saturday no doubt about it by 2 or 3.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dogged performance! Reaction that was needed after Saturdays awful performance. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I don't think your be seeing Morgan for a long while
    With the way Bowyer rotates how can you be so sure?
  • Options
    Well we won & kept a clean sheet. But maybe its me but I'm blowed if I can see all the positivity that others are expressing.

For most of that second half, we've been outplayed and under heavy pressure from a team that is now bottom of the table. OK Wigan didn't have many clear cut chances (in fact, did they have any real clear cut ones?) but the ball has been flying around our penalty area, Wigan have had a number of corners and we've struggled to get and hold onto the ball for much of that half.

Amazed that no-one has commented on it but again Bowyer has gone all defensive at the end as he has done previously when it has cost us. Why take Aneke off and bring on Gunter, leaving us with no-one up front but a knackered Washington for the last 8 or 9 minuters before Schwartz came on? It just invites pressure. We got away with it tonight but history has shown we usually don't.

And my God, Bowyer sounded and looked so miserable in his interview at the end.

Delighted we won and stopped the rot. Good to see Watson have his best game for the club and old warhorse Pearce put in a good performance. But I can't see that this does anything other than paper over the cracks. If we win at oxford as well, then I'm happy to admit I'm wrong. 
    Aneke was injured. Surprised you missed that. 
    Hopefully he will be OK for Saturday.

I am sure I saw a little hint of a smirk from Bows in that interview as well.
  • Options
    Chuks still has the best minutes per goal ratio of every player in the league (103).
    Superb stat!
    It’s also better than any player in the Championship and Premier league even Toney (109) and Salah (124). Only one player in the top four leagues has better and that was Watters in league two before he moved to Cardiff (79).
  • Options
    Three Points away from home and a clean sheet.
    we should have had a penalty without question 
    but we always seem to get WANKER referees in this division.
    i still think trying to rely on a 1-0 lead even against a team as bad a Wigan is suicidal.
    we will have to play better on Saturday if we want to keep the momentum going.
    but I am a happy Valiant tonight 👍👍👍👍
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Trying to keep himself upright after being rugby tackled from behind
    Yes but if the ref sees it then he thinks it’s each of them fouling.
  • Options
    Bowyer on VP

”start to finish we addressed the game, competed well”
    ”shame we didn’t score more. Should have put game to bed”
    “Overall we got 3 points and can move on from Saturday. It’s easy to crumble after bad results. But told the players forget top 6, just concentrate on what you’re good at, then we can look at the table. Pressure too much for them sometimes. Really proud of players, they didn’t crumble”
    Continued: 

“Poor home form makes no sense to me. Mistakes and decisions have cost us.”
    ”Aneke is one of those players on his day he’s unplayable. They can’t handle him. He should have scored another, if not two. But he was very good, hold up play excellent.”
    ”Football is a confidence game. It affects everyone.”
    ”we’ll take this in to Saturday.”
    ”I’ve tried to take the pressure off them. It was all getting to them”
    ”just rest before Saturday, tomorrow is rest. Thursday Friday we’ll tinker with a few things. But we’ll be ready energy-wise”
    Bet a few are foaming at the mouth reading that ;)
    Ranieri's love child
  • Options
    How many pitches in this league this year are Danson Park standard? Ridiculous 
    I think that’s a bit harsh on the groundsman at Danson Park mate 😉. 
    Most welcome three points, not pretty but got the job done and can’t fault any of them for their effort, they all played for the shirt tonight for sure.
  • Options
    Rob Lee back for Saturday on VP
    Ahhh he's not is he? Get Brown or Nelson in as regulars. Rob Lee there was crap !