Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 World Cup qualifiers thread

Comments

• Options
    I’ve watched all 3 of the recent England games, and it has been a hard slog at times, we haven’t looked impressive, what’s happened to Sancho, Greenwood or Rashford?

We do look to be going backwards performance wise, would love to see Grealish / Maddison fit and having a go.
    Greenwood was supposed to be part of the U21 squad for their Euros this break but pulled out injured
  • Options
    5 shots in the first half with about 70 percent possession, a very charlton performance. 
  • Options
    Germany hahaha

Imagine if that was us. 
    Just be like every Saturday on here about 4-45
  • Options
    One fuck up, apart from that did pope even dive for a shot?
  • Options
    Germany hahaha

Imagine if that was us. 
    Low should have gone long before now

North Macedonia in a Group with Netherlands, Austria, Ukraine may well get through to the next round @ the Euros
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Well that was another bore fest!! We are so bloody slow, play tippy tappy football at the back that finishes with them scoring!! Southgate did nothing to change the game. Forget winning the Euros with this set up, we have the players but the football is awful and any opposition will be able to suss us out!
  • Options
    One fuck up, apart from that did pope even dive for a shot?
    That was the one shot on target he's faced this whole International break
  • Options
    Germany will come good in the euros, when it matters. They always do. Bastards
  • Options
    Dean Smith, Graham Potter or Eddie Howe options in the summer after the Euros. 

Rodgers would be a wildcard choice. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Like in the last World Cup? ;) - Although there is a jinx on the holders going into each World Cup...

2018: Germany, went out in the First Round
    2014: Spain, went out in the First Round
    2010: Italy, went out in the First Round
    2006: Brazil, made the Quarter-Finals
    2002: France, went out in the First Round
  • Options
    Well that was another bore fest!! We are so bloody slow, play tippy tappy football at the back that finishes with them scoring!! Southgate did nothing to change the game. Forget winning the Euros with this set up, we have the players but the football is awful and any opposition will be able to suss us out!
    Agree, we need to play with a forward along side Kane who drops back far too much when he is in the formation Southgate plays.
  • Options
    Too slow and predictable in the build up .. no one making any lung bursting runs from midfield .. Kane is forever having to come deep to get in the game ..  always look pretty and in control, but rarely are .. we were fortunate to win this one despite lots of possession .. the Poles defended well but had no real punch up front .. IF they had, they could  well have won this
  • Options
    If I had to describe it in one word it would be:
    pedestrian 
  • Options
    Hilarious reading the posts on here...just like Saturday afternoon! 
  • Options
    There it is, the most miserable post of 2021
  • Options
    Declan Rice official MoM again. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just stop watching England is my tip for most of you. Meanwhile I am happy that we got the win we deserved. I will worry about facing Germany or France when the time comes. I am off to celebrate, enjoy your cocoa and early night. 
    Exactly. The patience level with England is non existent. You’d think supporting Charlton they’d be used to it.

At club level we would be hearing ‘good teams can not play well and win’ which is exactly what we’ve done.
    It’s not too dissimilar to the sort of entitlement that comes out of armchair, ‘big 6’ type fans. 

Spitting feathers if we don’t win every game, or if we come up short against better sides from time to time.

I don’t really know why it is. Maybe it’s down to this marketing message that’s always been pushed that the Premier League is supposedly the be all and end all, and therefore it makes supporters think that we should smash things on an international level. 
  • Options
    The only 4 European teams to have 9 points from 3 games are England, Italy, Denmark and Armenia while Sweden and Switzerland have 6 from 2. A bit surprising.
  • Options
    So for Charlton fans, we got a bonus Wednesday night to go with all those Saturdays we've enjoyed this season.
    I thought Southall needed to shake that up earlier - bringing on Aneke instead 60th type thing. I'd guess this sort of 'nick the lead and defend it' mentality is how we will go, but a one goal lead is easily removed, and to be honest I'm sick of seeing it at the Valley. I feel we could do better with the players we have so sod it, let's get rid of Southall.

I really don't have a problem with Germany beyond enjoying any big team fuck up. To be honest,  my major problems with this world Cup is what's gone on in Qatar to build it, but that's probably better left on the politics forum. FIFA are that's, and the FA back them.
  • Options
    Find this quite ridiculous but that was apparently only Germany's THIRD ever world cup qualifying defeat.

Their last one was the 5-1 to us. They've never lost an away game!
  • Options
    Find this quite ridiculous but that was apparently only Germany's THIRD ever world cup qualifying defeat.

Apparently Italy have never lost a home WC qualifier game.
  • Options

I guess it's a stat that sounds better than it actually is because when you think about it, they play 5 home qualifiers every 4 years. And most will be against rubbish teams.

Plus if you take off the times they've hosted the WC and won it so wouldn't have to qualify then it's probably not that many games.
  • Options
    It wasn't a terrible performance, even without Lewandowski Poland are a good side. They were only back in the game due to a massive mistake. 

The problem for me, we looked fairly solid but when we conceded we just didn't look like we were going to score. Southgate was not reactive, which always gives me doubts about any manager. I dont mind playing Phillips / Rice combo as Poland are better than San Marino/Albania, however Henderson will come in for Phillips in an ideal world. Crazy even without a few players, we had players who could make an impact on the bench eg. DCL could have come on and played 2 up top, JWP instead of Phillips would have given us something different and even more threat at set pieces ironically. 

We aren't miles off, its just looking at other teams in particular France/ Portugal they seem like they have better quality. I think we have a chance but to be joint faves is pushing it. 

Germany LOL , hilarious. probably one of the biggest shocks in recent times, they had won their previous 18. Hopefully they stick to being rubbish and dont do the usual turn up and suddenly find that winning formula and win the Euros.
  • Options

I guess it's a stat that sounds better than it actually is because when you think about it, they play 5 home qualifiers every 4 years. And most will be against rubbish teams.

Plus if you take off the times they've hosted the WC and won it so wouldn't have to qualify then it's probably not that many games.
    Full stats please 
  • Options
    We didn't play particularly good teams, but over the course of those three matches we allowed 8 shots in total. That's pretty great. We're not set up to play scintillating football but we also don't really look much like losing. It's a shame Stones made that mistake as he's looked good recently, but he's still a good first choice defender for us to have. The fact is, to get anywhere in international football you need to make sure you don't lose. It' all very well to play a team of strikers in a new formation against San Marino and win but then you miss out on the opportunity to test and practice the system you want to use, and your time is limited in international football. Portugal won an entire Euros being absolutely terrible but defending quite well, and we are not absolutely terrible. It's not a brilliant watch and if Henderson isn't back I'd like a better alternative to Kalvin Phillips but we look like a solid team with good attacking players, that bodes well. I don't think Pope did himself much good in this period though. Southgate really likes Pickford and Pope needed to look comfortable on the ball in order to jump ahead of him. I don't think he did and I fully expect to see Pickford back when he's available.