Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 World Cup qualifiers thread

Comments

• Options
    We didn't play particularly good teams, but over the course of those three matches we allowed 8 shots in total. That's pretty great. We're not set up to play scintillating football but we also don't really look much like losing. It's a shame Stones made that mistake as he's looked good recently, but he's still a good first choice defender for us to have. The fact is, to get anywhere in international football you need to make sure you don't lose. It' all very well to play a team of strikers in a new formation against San Marino and win but then you miss out on the opportunity to test and practice the system you want to use, and your time is limited in international football. Portugal won an entire Euros being absolutely terrible but defending quite well, and we are not absolutely terrible. It's not a brilliant watch and if Henderson isn't back I'd like a better alternative to Kalvin Phillips but we look like a solid team with good attacking players, that bodes well. I don't think Pope did himself much good in this period though. Southgate really likes Pickford and Pope needed to look comfortable on the ball in order to jump ahead of him. I don't think he did and I fully expect to see Pickford back when he's available.
    Live, Die, Repeat since 1966

We have the best selection of young attacking talent (arguably) in world football.

Use it!

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Just stop watching England is my tip for most of you. Meanwhile I am happy that we got the win we deserved. I will worry about facing Germany or France when the time comes. I am off to celebrate, enjoy your cocoa and early night. 
    Exactly. The patience level with England is non existent. You’d think supporting Charlton they’d be used to it.

At club level we would be hearing ‘good teams can not play well and win’ which is exactly what we’ve done.
    It’s not too dissimilar to the sort of entitlement that comes out of armchair, ‘big 6’ type fans. 

Spitting feathers if we don’t win every game, or if we come up short against better sides from time to time.

I don’t really know why it is. Maybe it’s down to this marketing message that’s always been pushed that the Premier League is supposedly the be all and end all, and therefore it makes supporters think that we should smash things on an international level. 

I think it predates the premier league by a long (I'm old enough to remember the 70s and 80s!). It may simply be that passion for our national football team spills over into frustration at every stumble.
  • Options
    I agree totally with all the posts saying we should be playing to our strengths. Without doubt we currently have a " Golden Generation " with our attacking options. I think at some point the FA had a secret training camp and the likes of Southgate, Bowyer etc were trained in trying to play to our weaknesses. Oh how I wish that somewhere we had the ilk of Venables that would have the balls to pick a team that goes all out attack. Fine we may concede a few goals but I bet we would score alot more
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Let me say first of all that I don't entirely disagree with the major point of your rant, @supaclive . I think we need to let the opposition worry about us too.

But, your criteria for comparison are somewhat selective. Under Robson, we failed to even quality for Euro '84. In the 1986 world cup we beat (arguably somewhat less than) "bang average" Paraguay and lost to Argentina. In Euro '88 we lost all three group games- "we lost three games". In Italia '90 we beat Belgium in the last minute of extra time, and beat "bang average" Cameroon thanks to two penalties, after extra time. And, as you are including third place play-offs in your analysis of Southgate losing three matches at Russia '18, we also lost another game in Italy. So using your own formula and taking "bang average" Paraguay out of the equation we won err... no competative knock out games in 90 minutes under Bobby Robson...

Venables never had to go through qualification. So in his solitary tournament in '96, we beat Spain on penalties. Therefore we won no competative knock out games in ninety minutes at all... 

We will leave the nations cup out, as it is a new tournament.  

So, summing up, using facts as they stand, rather than bending them to suit the narrative, under the two managers you compare Southgate with, we won one competative game in 90 minutes, under Southgate we have won one competative game in 90 minutes. 

I shall repeat, I agree that England should be more attacking.

• Options
    The only 4 European teams to have 9 points from 3 games are England, Italy, Denmark and Armenia while Sweden and Switzerland have 6 from 2. A bit surprising.
    Denmark are absolutely destroying the other teams in their group. Results so far. 2-0 away win in Israel. 8-0 home win against Moldova. 4-0 away win in Austria. They will walk this group.

TS will be happy. 
  • Options
    Let me say first of all that I don't entirely disagree with the major point of your rant, @supaclive . I think we need to let the opposition worry about us too.

But, your criteria for comparison are somewhat selective. Under Robson, we failed to even quality for Euro '84. In the 1986 world cup we beat (arguably somewhat less than) "bang average" Paraguay and lost to Argentina. In Euro '88 we lost all three group games- "we lost three games". In Italia '90 we beat Belgium in the last minute of extra time, and beat "bang average" Cameroon thanks to two penalties, after extra time. And, as you are including third place play-offs in your analysis of Southgate losing three matches at Russia '18, we also lost another game in Italy. So using your own formula and taking "bang average" Paraguay out of the equation we won err... no competative knock out games in 90 minutes under Bobby Robson...

Venables never had to go through qualification. So in his solitary tournament in '96, we beat Spain on penalties. Therefore we won no competative knock out games in ninety minutes at all... 

We will leave the nations cup out, as it is a new tournament.  

So, summing up, using facts as they stand, rather than bending them to suit the narrative, under the two managers you compare Southgate with, we won one competative game in 90 minutes, under Southgate we have won one competative game in 90 minutes. 

I shall repeat, I agree that England should be more attacking.

A good point well made.

• Options
    Germany hahaha

Imagine if that was us. 
    Low should have gone long before now

North Macedonia in a Group with Netherlands, Austria, Ukraine may well get through to the next round @ the Euros
    North Macedonia are a good solid side with Pandev upfront who is about 90 years old but he knows where the net is.  Add a few youngsters who ply their trade in Italy and Spain and you have the makings of a good side.  Skopje went mad last night fireworks and car horns for most of the night.  Out of 3 games they won 2 and lost 1.  Euros is looking good for them as well. It's nice to get some different teams at these events to shake it up a bit.
  • Options
    Shame for Pope as he'll revert back to being a back up keeper - he had 3 games and whilst he's a great shot stopper in today's game he'll always be let down by his ability with the ball at his feet - where he looks very uncomfortable
  • Options
    Shame for Pope as he'll revert back to being a back up keeper - he had 3 games and whilst he's a great shot stopper in today's game he'll always be let down by his ability with the ball at his feet - where he looks very uncomfortable
    The problem was, he didn't really get much chance to show off his talents. All the games we were dominant and he was barely used. The kicking side is probably the only reason he loses the spot, a shame when he had 6 consecutive clean sheets (regardless who the opposition are) that should be a foundation to build on IMO. I know these days we prefer keepers to play out, however do we need to if we have defenders who can essentially do that? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agreed with Lee Dixon's summary of England's performance. It wasn't bad but Southgate hasn't got the balance right between attack and defence. We've been solid, but aren't creating enough and lacked the attacking pace to break down well drilled defences

And crazy for Kane to drop so deep when nobody is taking his place in the box.
  • Options
    Beat my record and watched it for 3 minutes before turning to Netflix.

Those 3 minutes told me almost all I needed to know.  Charlton standard.
  • Options
    I do think the biggest disappointment in the England team is Kane. 

He's a shadow of the player that plays for Tottenham. Drops way too deep to collect the ball but then doesn't have much around him when he does receive it. If we're playing the ball into feet we need midfielders making runs beyond him. Not the two wingers about 20 yards away from him hugging the touchline. 

Sterling needs to play a bit like Son does for Spurs, as a second striker almost. 
  • Options
    I do think the biggest disappointment in the England team is Kane. 

He's a shadow of the player that plays for Tottenham. Drops way too deep to collect the ball but then doesn't have much around him when he does receive it. If we're playing the ball into feet we need midfielders making runs beyond him. Not the two wingers about 20 yards away from him hugging the touchline. 

Sterling needs to play a bit like Son does for Spurs, as a second striker almost. 
    Do people not watch Kane at Spurs, he constantly drops back for them its just players run beyond him. Also i cant see the problem, he sometimes has games where he is less involved but will turn up with a goal for club and country. I do disagree he is a shadow of the spurs player, just sometimes we dont really set up up for him, or when he drops he needs someone to do a Son and push forward and link up with him. 
  • Options
    In my 33 years England have won the following knockout games in 90 minutes.

WC 1990 Cameroon (3-2)
    WC 2002 Denmark (3-0)
    WC 2006 Ecuador (1-0)
    WC 2018 Sweden (2-0)

We've won the following in extra time
    WC 1990 Belgium (1-0)

On penalties...
    EC 1996 Spain (0-0)
    WC 2018 Colombia (1-1)

England have won as many knockout games in 90 minutes as Charlton have been promoted in the last 33 years. And at a guess we spent 9/10 of those years in the top flight and the rest we've been absolute shit.

• Options
    Daddy_Pig said:

WC 1990 Cameroon (3-2)
    WC 2002 Denmark (3-0)
    WC 2006 Ecuador (1-0)
    WC 2018 Sweden (2-0)

WC 1990 Belgium (1-0)

On penalties...
    EC 1996 Spain (0-0)
    WC 2018 Colombia (1-1)

England have won as many knockout games in 90 minutes as Charlton have been promoted in the last 33 years. And at a guess we spent 9/10 of those years in the top flight and the rest we've been absolute shit.

Cameroon was extra time mate. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Daddy_Pig said:

WC 1990 Cameroon (3-2)
    WC 2002 Denmark (3-0)
    WC 2006 Ecuador (1-0)
    WC 2018 Sweden (2-0)

WC 1990 Belgium (1-0)

On penalties...
    EC 1996 Spain (0-0)
    WC 2018 Colombia (1-1)

Italia 90 they came home as heroes.

We scraped through the group scoring just 2 goals and only beating Egypt. Beat Belgium with a wonder goal in the last minute of extra time, almost went out to Cameroon but a late Lineker penalty took us to extra time..............where another lineker penalty got us through, then we lost to Germany.
  • Options
    With my half-German buddy who unwisely thinks he’s good at banter, the North Macedonia defeat has been the gift that keeps on giving. Thanks to @Lincsaddick for his cracker of a comment, and to @Chris_from_Sidcup for noting their last qualifier defeat was the England 5-1. 

However last night he offered me a bet that Germany would get further in the Euro finals than England. I tried to swerve on a decision on that. Would you guys take him up on it?
  • Options
    With my half-German buddy who unwisely thinks he’s good at banter, the North Macedonia defeat has been the gift that keeps on giving. Thanks to @Lincsaddick for his cracker of a comment, and to @Chris_from_Sidcup for noting their last qualifier defeat was the England 5-1. 

However last night he offered me a bet that Germany would get further in the Euro finals than England. I tried to swerve on a decision on that. Would you guys take him up on it?
    Their group is a minefield. It's much harder than ours.

They play France first, then Portugal. Fail to win either of those and their last game v Hungary (who are no mugs) will effectively be a knockout game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Daddy_Pig said:

WC 1990 Cameroon (3-2)
    WC 2002 Denmark (3-0)
    WC 2006 Ecuador (1-0)
    WC 2018 Sweden (2-0)

WC 1990 Belgium (1-0)

On penalties...
    EC 1996 Spain (0-0)
    WC 2018 Colombia (1-1)

Ah right I didn't know that... Not that it makes the general point of things any better 😂
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Harry Kane - 34 goals in 53 games and a World Cup Golden Boot.

Yes, he absolutely is our biggest disappointment....

Christ 😂
    10 of those are penalties. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    cafctom said:

Christ 😂
    Because England players are famed for their penalty taking skills 😂

He's still got to put it in the net, as we've seen over the years that is easier said than done
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Christ 😂

He's still got to put it in the net, as we've seen over the years that is easier said than done

Kane's only open play goal at the 2018 World Cup was because Trippier booted the ball at his heel and it deflected in. 

Rest were corners and penalties. 

Just think we could threaten more from open play, that's all. Golden boot from penalties doesn't change that. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    cafctom said:

Christ 😂

Kane's only open play goal at the 2018 World Cup was because Trippier booted the ball at his heel and it deflected in. 

Rest were corners and penalties. 

Just think we could threaten more from open play, that's all. Golden boot from penalties doesn't change that. 
    Dont care how a goal goes in!!

A goal is a goal at the end of the day, however it comes will be from an opposition mistake whether they've acted rashly in the penalty area, havent picked up a man from a corner or whether they've given him too much space elsewhere
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Christ 😂
    If he'd missed his penalty v Colombia and we'd gone out 1-0 in the second round he'd have been slaughtered.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Christ 😂
    Surely it’s BECAUSE of his goal scoring record, that the role he’s currently playing for England is slightly disappointing 
  • Options
    Until Harry Kane starts curling them in from 30 yards, ideally with his back to goal, then consider me underwhelmed.
  • Options
    Perhaps we get penalties as opposition are trying to stop him scoring/creating goals ?