Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 World Cup qualifiers thread

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    It says something that our goal comes from a set piece involving the 2 centre backs.

Very negative tactics this half, no attacking subs to try and get a goal, and when we do score he takes Foden off for a right back
  • Options
    Germany losing to North Macedonia
  • Options
    has anyone made a joke about maguire and getting out of jail yet? 
  • Options
    I never want to see us lose. I love England. 

But this has totally exposed how one dimensional Southgate is.

4231, 2 DMs, Possession based football.

The Mark Corrigan of Football. 
  • Options
    great assist by Stones, mind you weren’t a bad finish either
    Glad for him as his form has shown he didnt deserve to make that mistake 
    Totally agree, 
  • Options
    https://streamye.com/v5i7t

Pope's pass looks terrible. Stones looks like he genuinely can't see the attacker to the right until it's too late to me. 
    I've watched it again, more than once. It wasn't the cleanest contact from Pope but Stones was in acres of space and had plenty of time to use the ball. He was just too casual and took too long to sort his feet out. His mistake not Pope's. 

Pope's pass looks terrible. Stones looks like he genuinely can't see the attacker to the right until it's too late to me. 
    The Polish player wasn't even in the shot when the ball leaves Pope's foot! Even when Stones collects, the player is still 15 yards or so away.

Did the pass go where Pope intended? Not quite. But the solution was obviously a pass back to Pope who could pump it long and out of danger. For some reason Stones felt like he could take multiple lazy touches first.
    I don't think Stones sees the attacker on the right. His mistake for sure but explains why he takes those touches. 
  • Options

So terrible that Stones had time to take 3 touches before losing the ball.
    Yes it wasn't the best pass, but it was still totally Stones fault, he had plenty of time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got to love Kyle Walker and his pace at times to get back and get his body in front of that long pass
  • Options

I've watched it again, more than once. It wasn't the cleanest contact from Pope but Stones was in acres of space and had plenty of time to use the ball. He was just too casual and took too long to sort his feet out. His mistake not Pope's. 

The Polish player wasn't even in the shot when the ball leaves Pope's foot! Even when Stones collects, the player is still 15 yards or so away.

Did the pass go where Pope intended? Not quite. But the solution was obviously a pass back to Pope who could pump it long and out of danger. For some reason Stones felt like he could take multiple lazy touches first.
    I don't think Stones sees the attacker on the right. His mistake for sure but explains why he takes those touches. 
    Good defenders are aware of the players around them. 
  • Options
    Why have footballers started ripping their socks at the calves?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    The way some people are waffling on you’d have thought we were losing, as opposed to being on for a 3rd straight victory out of 3 qualifying games......
  • Options
    First half was good I thought. However they changed shape and Southgate froze. You’ve got to be reactive, not just sit and watch. Better teams will punish us. Thing at the moment, is better teams are struggling. Tweaks could see us become the better team.
    The better teams always seem to wobble in the Qualifiers

Its the frustrating side of England that we can breeze through qualifying and then freeze on the big stage... Those who wobble in QF suddenly come alive in the actual tournament 
  • Options
    Tough watch at times tonight, bit like watching Charlton!
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Big shock tonight with the Faroe Islands losing to Scotland.
    Love an underdog story
  • Options
    Germany 2-1 down 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    The way some people are waffling on you’d have thought we were losing, as opposed to being on for a 3rd straight victory out of 3 qualifying games......
    Yes after scraping through against Poland, beating San Marino and Albania I can't wait to see us win the Euros. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    philcafc said:
    Don't really deserve it but we'll take it.
    What, we were miles better first half and the second half was reasonably equal.
    Not a great performance but we deserved a 2-1 win.
  • Options
    First half was good I thought. However they changed shape and Southgate froze. You’ve got to be reactive, not just sit and watch. Better teams will punish us. Thing at the moment, is better teams are struggling. Tweaks could see us become the better team.
    The better teams always seem to wobble in the Qualifiers

Its the frustrating side of England that we can breeze through qualifying and then freeze on the big stage... Those who wobble in QF suddenly come alive in the actual tournament 
    We’re like the L1 team that regularly beats the likes of Rochdale and Northampton 1-0, but struggles against the top 6 clubs
  • Options
    WE’RE GONNA WIN THE WORLD CUP
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    cafctom said:
    Yes after scraping through against Poland, beating San Marino and Albania I can't wait to see us win the Euros. 
    You’ll still be complaining about something even if we do
  • Options
    a couple of REAL Prince 'Arry's do the biz .. JUST
  • Options
    I’ve watched all 3 of the recent England games, and it has been a hard slog at times, we haven’t looked impressive, what’s happened to Sancho, Greenwood or Rashford?

We do look to be going backwards performance wise, would love to see Grealish / Maddison fit and having a go.
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Big shock tonight with the Faroe Islands losing to Scotland.
    Love an underdog story
    You’re both flagged 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Even I'll admit its not been plain sailing from England this International break

- San Marino, we despatched as we should have done
     - Albania, typical job done out in Eastern Europe
     - Poland; Made hard work, could have been different with Lewandowski out there

Certainly not like the last Qualifying campaign where we pretty much won 5-0 every game (which people still moaned over) - I think the one thing in defence of Southgate is that March is probably the longest period where as Manager he's not had the squad together to breed that familiarity.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Why do you bother?

• Options
    Germany hahaha

Imagine if that was us.