Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doncaster v Charlton | Good Friday | 12:30pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Doncaster Rovers v Charlton Athletic
Good Friday … 12:30pm Kick-Off
Referee: Marc Edwards

Referee; Marc Edwards has taken charge of one Charlton game this season, the early season fixture at Lincoln City where he ended up making a number of dubious decisions that led to a penalty in a 2-0 home win

Introduction
Charlton finally return to league action this coming Friday, it’s only been two weeks since our last fixture (an unimpressive encounter at AFC Wimbledon) yet it feels an eternity after the International break halted our proceedings… Elsewhere and rivals have appeared incapable of taking advantage of their extra games which leaves us with a sliver of hope. The Addicks along with the SKY cameras will make the trip up to Doncaster this Friday, this is it, the run in we’ve spoken about for so long is finally here.

A season is a marathon, but even in that type of event, there is always a sprint finish!!

The Opposition
Name: Doncaster Rovers (7th) | Interim Manager: Andy Butler
Ground: Keepmoat Stadium
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 1-3 Doncaster Rovers

If fans had to pick a memorable away ground from recent years then you’d expect the Keepmoat Stadium to be right up there – Two years ago we visited on a warm May afternoon (Yup the SKY cameras where there too) and it turned out to be the beginning of a few weeks in dreamland, that and the scene of a few limbs flying everywhere in jubilation.

Doncaster have of course remained in League One but have always been a constant promotion threat, on an equally warm September afternoon last year; Donny visited South East London and proceeded to ruin what was a party with Thomas Sandgaard on the verge of his takeover, and what was a rare afternoon with fans inside the Valley itself.

On the face of it; Donny have probably been the most impressive team that we’ve faced this season and personally are the one team I’d have predicted for the automatics… COVID has created a false table, and given sides like Doncaster too much to do come the business end of the season, combined with the surprise exit of Darren Moore to Sheffield Wednesday and it appears our opponents this Friday are in freefall.

Both sides will be certainly looking for a result that will see them jump (however briefly) into the Play-Offs.

Charlton Team News
The fixture against AFC Wimbledon of course gave us little to go by; Nigel Adkins had only been in the job for a few days so no doubt the team selection was primarily left to assistant (and brief stand in) manager: Johnnie Jackson.

This two week break will have come at the right time, Adkins has had a clear opportunity to work with his players and will have had the friendly against Brentford ‘B’ to see what some of the squad players can offer – The likes of Adam Matthews, Alex Gilbey and Ryan Inniss are now back in contention, whilst both Chris Gunter and Liam Millar return from International duty without any injury concerns.

Unless anything else is revealed in the Press Conference it leaves Conor Washington as our sole absentee

Amos
Gunter - Famewo - Pearce - Maatsen
Shinnie - Forster-Caskey
Millar - Morgan - Jaiyesimi
Stockley

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer – Inniss – Oshilaja – Pratley – Gilbey – Schwartz – Aneke

Prediction
Yeah sod trying to predict this one; I’ll leave it up to you lot to do that one

Early last month I predicted that we needed six points from Shrewsbury and Bristol Rovers to stay in contention for the Play-Offs yet only got the four – It’s been a season where inconsistency has been the name of the game across the division; the Football League staying true to reputation, leaving it impossible to predict who will go up or down. Our rivals have stupidly allowed us to remain in the mix, these last nine games are an opportunity to see if we can take advantage of that kind gift.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    It feels like it's been months since we last saw a preview. 

Prediction 2-2 

Amos 
    Gunter - Famewo - Pearce - Purrington
    Morgan - F.Caskey- Shinnie - Millar 
    Aneke - Schwartz

Subs: M.Brewer, Inniss, Oshilaja, Maatsen, Gilbey, Jaiyesimi, Stockley
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I can't see Millar starting this week wont he be jet lagged ? the selection might be interesting for this game as Nige has had a couple of weeks to look at players in training, we may get a couple of suprises
    Yeah I wont be surprised if he isnt involved having had to go TransAtlantic for his Internationals

I've never flown it so dont know if its a difference but wonder if he's either flown first class or whether Canada have put on a private jet for half the squad (eleven of them came from European teams) so it firstly reduces the potential COVID interaction between other travellers and secondly reduces the issue of jetlag as flying in more comfort.
  • Options
    Fortitude; resilience; drive; will-to-win.
    Any other characteristics missing from this squad?

We have the owner of our dreams and I now believe an inspired choice of manager.
    I'm just doubtful that this group has what it takes to achieve the desired goal in this run-in.
    But perhaps I underestimate what Nigel is capable of in getting an immediate improvement and inspiring and motivating this inconsistent and brittle bunch.
    Whatever has gone before, he and they have a free shot at promotion now and I am excited to see how we go.
  • Options
    I think we will get the fabled "new manager bounce" this game. He has had a couple of weeks to work with the squad        ( minus those on international duty ) hopefully the positivity has had a effect, we will see but I'm hoping for a very different approach from the team in terms of style of play, please no more sideways / backwards passing all the time.

Confident of a victory here. 2-0 to us
  • Options
    Too early for Adkins to have had enough influence so I can’t see anything but a loss. 2 - 0 Donny.
  • Options
    1-2

COYR!
  • Options
    Great preview as usual FA. 
    This is the start of a new era a nd I expect to see changes from our last game as Adkins starts to put his mark on the team.
    I still believe it is too late to make the playoffs but these remaining 9 games gives him a chance to properly assess the players at his disposal. 
    2.1 Charlton and the new era begins. 
  • Options
    The ref owes us big time for the horrendous call v Lincoln .... when the game 0-0 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They are there to be taken, after recent form.. so 1-1 Charlton 
  • Options
    Good time to play them , 2-1 away win. 
  • Options
                          Amos
              Shinnie - Forster-Caskey
                         Stockley

good idea to start with 12 ;)

on a serious note, I'm actually quite confident about this one - think we are in for an exciting end to the season

1-2 Millar and Aneke
  • Options
    First of a run of games we win as we push towards the play offs. 2-1 Aneke and JFC. 
  • Options
    I hope we see a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 from Adkins. I can't be the only one who's tired of watching us struggle with the diamond, though we have built the squad to play it. 

Looking forward to this one, it'll be the first night game at a reasonable hour for me: on at 7:30pm Hong Kong time!
  • Options
                          Amos
              Shinnie - Forster-Caskey
                         Stockley

good idea to start with 12 ;)

on a serious note, I'm actually quite confident about this one - think we are in for an exciting end to the season

1-2 Millar and Aneke
    I honestly thought I'd accidentally picked 12 players for a second

Should have seen the smoke coming out of my ears as I tried to work it out :D
  • Options
    0-5 Ronnie grabbing a brace with Stockley, Shinnie and Famewo also finding the net
  • Options
    0-5 Ronnie grabbing a brace with Stockley, Shinnie and Famewo also finding the net
    Can I have some of what you're having?

Let's hope so. Have to be confident, otherwise the season will fizz out... 1-0 win, JFC with the goal. 
  • Options
    3-1 Addicks.
    The most "must win" game of the season.
    New positive manger bounce.
    It's going to be a very Good Friday.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is pretty much a must win if we are to maintain any kind of promotion charge .. The next 3/4 games could decide what division we are in next season

our players have had a nice rest and have had time to get to know Adkins and for him to get to know them ..
     Donny are in dire form having lost their manager Moore (as writ above) to the Owls and their main man Ben Whiteman to P N E

Let's pray we are not hit by a dose of Bogleitis and that Donny don't suddenly find some good form. They usually try to play good football and are the kind of team we do well against, if only just

Pity there are no spectators as Donny Keepmoat is one of my favourite L 1 grounds and as things go, they are a mere 60 miles(ish) from my house, almost a home game for me

Doncaster Rovers 0 v CAFC 2 
  • Options
    the referee Marc Edwards received an average mark of 2.87 for our game at Lincoln, this season that has only been worsened by the infamous Brett Huxtable who averaged 2.36 at home to Blackpool
  • Options
    The penalty he gave against us could only be given by a cheat or somebody who is completely incompetent. I am sure he isn't a cheat, but what is this bloke doing reffing us this season?
  • Options
    Definitely winnable game against a stuttering Doncaster team. Most of our players should be nicely rested, but with Washington out and Millar arriving back late from the US, it's up front where we will need to make changes

Lincoln being postponed means that we'll have 8 days before the next match, making the win all the more crucial
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I can't see Millar starting this week wont he be jet lagged ? the selection might be interesting for this game as Nige has had a couple of weeks to look at players in training, we may get a couple of suprises
    Yeah I wont be surprised if he isnt involved having had to go TransAtlantic for his Internationals

I've never flown it so dont know if its a difference but wonder if he's either flown first class or whether Canada have put on a private jet for half the squad (eleven of them came from European teams) so it firstly reduces the potential COVID interaction between other travellers and secondly reduces the issue of jetlag as flying in more comfort.
    As a fellow Canuck, yep, hope Millar's on the up after usual 'cross the pond' jetlag stuff and well in the frame for Donny.
  • Options
    I think that whatever the result or outcome, expectations of what Adkins can achieve aren’t too unrealistic or demanding going into the final 9 games.  This team has been mediocre across 37 games of the season, whatever we get that’s positive in the final 9 is a bonus for me.  

I don’t expect anything from the run in other than the players to show Adkins they want to be here next year and are good enough.  As mentioned above, we now have potentially the best owner we’ve ever had who wants to build a foundation for success, he’s brought in a manager who he’s chosen, as opposed to inheriting one, so the signs are there that we can grow.  That may take time, and I’m positive it’s not going to happen with 90-95% of the current crop 

I think we might get a draw on Friday.  Maybe 1-1

Part of me is also hoping we qualify ourselves out of the play offs as quickly as possible.  I know that sounds negative and quite a dour stance to take, but this season’s been long and hard and frustrating.  I know we should be grateful for a club and stability, but something about this team as wound me up this season.  The football has been turgid and I am sure Covid has amplified it, but I’ve been fed up watching them.  I don’t know why but I’ve been irritated by just about everything.  The blinkered punditry on Valley Pass, the home form, conceding stupid goals.  I’m all just a bit done with it now
  • Options
    All we have to do is win every game between now and the end of the season and we’ll get promoted. Starting on Friday. 
  • Options
    I see Adkins as a fairly modern manager and think he will go with 433, which is a 451 when we’re defending.

Amos
    Gunter, Famewo, Pearce, Maatsen
    Morgan, JFC, Shinnie
    DJ, Aneke, Millar

Slightly early for Innis I reckon.
    Midfield trio improving.
    No reason for Aneke not to start it’s been two weeks.

A simply massive game which we cannot lose, unfortunately I think it’ll be a well played out draw, 1-1 Aneke.
  • Options
    Nervous about this game. Our form on tv is abysmal, but it really is a must win. Allow Doncaster to take a point or 3 off of us, and they’re going to be difficult to catch with 2 games in hand.