Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hall Of Fame 2021

It is time for the annual vote to elect three Charlton greats from the past into the Hall Of Fame. The format is the same as in previous years and you have one vote from each category. Do not be put off if some of the candidates were before your time.  Ask your dad or your grandad for guidance.. The closing date for votes is 9th May and the winners will have their names added to the Role of Honour in the Museum.

The contestants are:-

Pre 1950 
Scotty Kingsley
Jimmy Oakes
Bert Turner

1951-85
Bob Curtis
Peter Reeves
Johnny Summers

1986-Present
Jason Euell
John Humphrey
Yann Kermorgant

It is easy to vote. Just click on the link below and away you go.

Comments

• edited April 2021
    Just in case anyone gets annoyed that Bartram, Hales etc are being ignored here are the previous electees (minus last years winners Sailor Brown, Mike Flanagan and Dean Kiely, as not added yet due to Covid restrictions)

• From a playing perspective I am surprised Euell is in there 
  • I don’t know any of the pre-1986 players really, post ‘86 I think I would have to go for Yann, although Euell has been a great servant as a coach too (is this supposed to be based on impact as a player only?).
  • edited April 2021
    WSS said:
    I love the initiative but surely this can’t go on indefinitely in this format? Surely we’ll just end up with every player who has played for us in the HoF?
    We can't be far off 1000 players can we? In which case if no-one ever plays for us again, it'll be 300 odd years before we get to that...  :D
  • WSS said:
    I love the initiative but surely this can’t go on indefinitely in this format? Surely we’ll just end up with every player who has played for us in the HoF?
    When do suggest the Hall of Fame is closed then?

Will no one else be deemed worthy?

The fans will this year choose only the 10th player from each era.

So that's just ten from the first 45 years of the club when it rose from a street corner to FA cup winners.

Plenty of options for years and years to come.
  • WSS said:
    We can't be far off 1000 players can we? In which case if no-one ever plays for us again, it'll be 300 odd years before we get to that...  :D
    But that’s the point isn’t it? Very few of them even need to be considered so the timeframe of ‘scraping the barrel’ is going to come a lot sooner than that.

Just my opinion of course but I wouldn’t even put in any of the ‘current’ three but that’s maybe my personal criteria for selecting someone.
  • WSS said:
    When do suggest the Hall of Fame is closed then?

Will no one else be deemed worthy?

The fans will this year choose only the 10th player from each era.

So that's just ten from the first 45 years of the club when it rose from a street corner to FA cup winners.

Plenty of options for years and years to come.
    I never suggested it to be closed. I mentioned the format.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2021
    Will need to read up on the contenders from the first two categories. Will vote for Yann on the modern era category, on the basis that he’s been the best player to wear a Charlton shirt over the past decade. 

Jason Euell deserves his place at some point too
  • cafctom said:
    Will need to read up on the contenders from the first two categories. Will vote for Yann on the modern era category, on the basis that he’s been the best player to wear a Charlton shirt over the past decade. 

@blackpool72 can tell you about Bert Turner - he used to clean his boots. 
  • edited April 2021
    WSS said:
    WSS said:
    But that’s the point isn’t it? Very few of them even need to be considered so the timeframe of ‘scraping the barrel’ is going to come a lot sooner than that.

Just my opinion of course but I wouldn’t even put in any of the ‘current’ three but that’s maybe my personal criteria for selecting someone.
    Hence the vote otherwise it would just be @k@killerjerrylee picking his favourites.

I think it's a scandal that the player described as "possibly the most important player in the club's history" by Colin Cameron isn't in there but there is a chance to vote for him this year.

And we are decades of getting anywhere near scraping the bottom of the barrel.

• That’s what people said about fossil fuels in the 50s, look at the world now. ;-)

Anyway, I think a HoF is a good idea, just feel it could potentially lose its impact/value in the future.
  • Out of interest is there anywhere we can see all the nominations from the previous years.
  • Out of interest is there anywhere we can see all the nominations from the previous years.
    Google search Charlton hall of fame for each season
  • WSS said:
    That’s what people said about fossil fuels in the 50s, look at the world now. ;-)

Anyway, I think a HoF is a good idea, just feel it could potentially lose its impact/value in the future.
    So we've got another 70 years to go.

• WSS said:
    WSS said:

Hence the vote otherwise it would just be @k@killerjerrylee picking his favourites.

I think it's a scandal that the player described as "possibly the most player in the club's history" by Colin Cameron isn't in there but there is a chance to vote for him this year.

And we are decades of getting anywhere near scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Did anyone ever ask who or what Common Cameron meant by that? 
  • cafctom said:

She’ll deserves hero status as a servant to the club, through some awful times.  As a player, I’m less convinced. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Surprised Johnnie Jackson wasn't considered before Yann if we were choosing from the modern era .

From the choices Humphrey would get my vote .
  • I'm genuinely puzzled at people questioning the nomination of Charlton's record signing, record premier League scorer, full international and a player who suffered personal tragedy and physical problems, but of them to one side in committing to playing for Charlton. 

Jason Euell might not be the greatest ever Charlton player. But that's not what is being voted for. 
  • I know that Jason Euell is really the right answer given the level he played at and how important he initially was for us, but I will never not vote for Yann if given the option
  • Big surprise, I voted for Johnny Summers
    Did you have to ask your dad or grandad for guidance?
  • Just one or two comments in response to the above. Johnnie Jackson is not eligible as we only consider players for inclusion a minimum of five years after they play their last match for Charlton. Without question Johnnie will be a contender in the future. It is now seven years since Yann left for Bournemouth so his achievements can be put into perspective when voting. Jason Euell was our leading goalscorer for three years running when in the Premier League. Does that not warrant consideration? On the points raised by WSS, well the HoF will not be infinite but if you study the history of our great club, you will realise there are still many great players who in some cases have been almost forgotten. The Jimmy Seed team of the thirties which went from Div 3 to runners up in Div 1 in consecutive seasons has hardly been given full recognition. That is why Turner and Oakes are in the ballot this year. Cast your votes however you wish, but let us have your vote.
  • Scoham said:
    Big surprise, I voted for Johnny Summers
    Did you have to ask your dad or grandad for guidance?

I saw Johnny play, nearly every home game and a few away games for Charlton
  • @killerjerrylee are players considered for nomination more than once, i.e. where a player is nominated but fails to win the ballot, can that player be nominated again at a later date? 

Can a player be nominated in more than one 'category'? 

At what stage will the HoF be expanded to include women's team players? 
  • Timing helps with these votes

Scott Minto was nominated in 2018 and came 3rd I assume. I imagine that if he was nominated this year, with his heightened Charlton profile, he'd do a lot better

Kermorgant was a great player, but not here that long  - fewer than 100 appearances - which counts against him for me
  • Oakes, Bobby Curtis, and Yann 

Hopefully Jason gets re-nominated another time but I couldn’t vote for him above Yann. 

Johnny Summers was just before my time and I feel I should vote for him, but Bobby Curtis was a member of the team during my formative years following the club around the country. 
  • I like the format, gives me a reason to look into the history of some of the former players, particularly from the pre-1950 era, and learn a little more about our clubs past.