Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hall Of Fame 2021

Comments

• Options
    In reply to Chizz, yes players can be re-entered in the future. Johnny Summers was in the 2016 ballot but lost out to Colin Powell and John Hewie at that time, but is worth having another try this year. Nobody has been nominated in more than one category so far and I guess they would be best listed where they played the majority of their matches. You are the second person recently to mention the women's team and I think that will need consideration in due course as the women's game increases in stature.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I like the format, gives me a reason to look into the history of some of the former players, particularly from the pre-1950 era, and learn a little more about our clubs past. 
    Which is exactly part of the thinking from @killerjerrylee for doing it this way.

But this is why Kingsley should win

I dunno, Jimmy Oakes won two promotions (including a league title) and was part of a team that guided us to second in the top flight - our record finish, pretty impressive stuff.

Plus if that Kingsley fella was any good I’m sure someone would have paid more than £1,500 for him!
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Will need to read up on the contenders from the first two categories. Will vote for Yann on the modern era category, on the basis that he’s been the best player to wear a Charlton shirt over the past decade. 

Jason Euell deserves his place at some point too
    Easy to forget that Jason Euell was our leading scorer in the prem for 3 consecutive seasons.
  • Options
    done
  • Options
    WSS said:
    I love the initiative but surely this can’t go on indefinitely in this format? Surely we’ll just end up with every player who has played for us in the HoF?
    When do suggest the Hall of Fame is closed then?

When Talal El Khalej, Omar Bogle and Amdy Faye appear on the nominee list.
    Tahar. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    cafctom said:
    Will need to read up on the contenders from the first two categories. Will vote for Yann on the modern era category, on the basis that he’s been the best player to wear a Charlton shirt over the past decade. 

Jason Euell deserves his place at some point too
    Easy to forget that Jason Euell was our leading scorer in the prem for 3 consecutive seasons.
    With 11,10,10 goals. 

Surprised to learn he only scored 36 goals for us in total. 
  • Options
    Done thanks for organising @killerjerrylee
  • Options
    Done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Snap, @stonemuse. And thank you @killerjerrylee.

While I love both Jason Euell and Yann, no mention of Darren Bent feels an ommission?
  • Options
    Bent only played 68 league games for Charlton. Do you think that is a big enough contribution to justify inclusion? 
  • Options
    Bent only played 68 league games for Charlton. Do you think that is a big enough contribution to justify inclusion? 
    Quality not quantity as the bishops said to the actress.

He's not Scotty Kingsley but worthy of consideration.

It does prove the point, however, that there is a wealth of worthy players not yet elected to the Hall of Fame.
  • Options
    Don't forget to vote.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    From a playing perspective I am surprised Euell is in there 
    am I missing something here? why would our record premier league goalscorer not be there from a playing perspective?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Interesting shout @Killersjerrylee. I'd say its not just a numbers game. Bent right up there for me as a PL Charlton striker. Mendonca? Hunt? Euell? I'd put Bent right in the mix, regardless of number of matches. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I like the format, gives me a reason to look into the history of some of the former players, particularly from the pre-1950 era, and learn a little more about our clubs past. 
    Which is exactly part of the thinking from @killerjerrylee for doing it this way.

But this is why Kingsley should win

Very important reasons to vote for Kingsley. Let's not forget as well that his final match was a league victory over Millwall at The Den. Not many Charlton players can say that! 
  • Options
    Have you voted yet?
  • Options
    Kermorgant only played 89 league games, and all in the Championship and L1. Bent was our best striker in the second best period in the club's history. 31 PL goals in 2 seasons versus Euell's 34 in 5 seasons
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kingsley, Summers, Euell.

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Kingsley, Summers, Euell.

Thank you.
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    Oakes, Summers & John Humphrey for me. Great respect for Jason & Yann but Humphrey was arguably the best right back in the country when he played for us, and should have been capped for England.
    Same here
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    Oakes, Summers & John Humphrey for me. Great respect for Jason & Yann but Humphrey was arguably the best right back in the country when he played for us, and should have been capped for England.
    Same here
    Never new you was a great right back.
  • Options
    Voted.

No disrespect to Yann but being our best player in the last 10 years is akin to being the nicest guy in jail.  When you compare it to the Lennie and Curbs years which unfortunately both fall into the modern era. 
  • Options
    Do any of our older supporters think that Ronnie White could be a candidate ??

My late Father’s favourite player
  • Options
    I voted Turner, Summers, Humphrey
  • Options
    Voted for Oakes, Curtis and Yann. Not easy choices but in the end they were the 3 that stood out for me.

• Options
    Do any of our older supporters think that Ronnie White could be a candidate ??

My late Father’s favourite player

Ronnie was a good player, but there was some very good players around his time