Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

INNIS = WINS

2»

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    A fit Inniss could well be the best CB in the division and would easily cope with the Championship

But can he stay fit and play say 40 games a season?
    Has a long history of injuries so it's doubtful.

Definitely need to sign 2 centre backs in the summer regardless of what division we're in. Inniss will always start if fit, but we can't rely on that, so we need 2 more + Pearce (is he out of contract?). Hopefully get Famewo back on loan if we go up.

Deji can go, and maybe integrate Barker a bit more (although i accept this will be harder if we're in the championship)
    Pearce is out of contract, but to me definitely deserves another year if we're in L1, where many games are a battle
    100% No. Sorry but no time for sentiment here plus he is notoriously injury prone. We can and will get better players in. Sorry Pearcy but times up. 
    But can you get 3 better players than Pearce?  Especially if we are in league 1.  That's the question with a lot of our players. There is no point getting rid if you can't get someone who is actually better.

People moan that we have to sign a dozen, plus, players every summer then want to get rid of everyone.  If you have someone like Pearce as your 4th choice center back, who is a positive influence in the dressing room and training ground, what's the point of getting someone else in? 
    Signing two better centre backs and one with potential to be better within a year or two isn’t unrealistic. We signed two last summer in Famewo and Inniss, and that was towards the end of the window and under the salary cap.

With older players like Pearce and Pratley it’s also about letting them go before they really decline. Norwich releasing Doherty after he helped them to promotion was a great example of that. JFH another example, Boro released him at the right time, we signed him a year or two too late.

Another consideration may be that Adkins feels we have a player in the academy ready to be 4th/5th choice.
    I don't disagree with but remember we signed Inniss and Famewo to be obvious 1st choices.  It's a very different sell saying to someone come and be 3rd or 4th choice, in league 1.  We wouldn't be able to get a Famewo type loan if they weren't going to be 1st choice.

IMO this squad is much closer to the 2018 one than the one we had in Powell's first season.  Add 3 or 4 quantity players to this squad and we will be title contenders next season.

What you don't want, unless you are going to spend silly money, is 25 players on 3 year contracts when you get promoted. 
  • Options
    Usually the 20 goal a season striker is the most important person in the team, but in league 1 maybe it is the dominating centre half. 

The amount of aerial battles he wins is incredible. Completely different team when he plays.
  • Options
    He was still good yesterday but I actually thought it was one of his less impressive games for us. Got caught out positionally a couple of times and didn’t look quite as comfortable and commanding as he has. Pearce looked to most solid of the two of them yesterday. His return has undoubtedly made a big difference to the overall dynamic of the defence though.

Although Famewo and Pearce were doing okay, we just look balanced again with a right-footed left-footed pair and much as I like Oshilaja as a bloke, he’s definitely been Dodgy-Deji more often than not this season. And we just won’t get dominated physically now. 

I suspect Famewo might be back in the team but the end of the season as well because his pace adds another dimension that Pearce can’t offer but right now this back four picks itself on merit and form. 
    I'd definitely be playing Deji if Inniss breaks down again. Don't want Gunter or Pratley at CB, nor Famewo or Pearce on the wrong side. I think Deji has been a bit of a scapegoat, he made a few mistakes but he also had a really good run where he was probably our best player for 3/4 matches. However he can be a liability and although it's a longshot, promotion would be off the cards if Inniss breaks down again. 

Pearce has surprised me, I had written him off but fair play he's stepped up. We'd miss his leadership skills but still a no brainer for me, if Famewo is fit he starts next to Inniss. 
    Deji became a cult hero last season after a couple of storming performances at RB, and played a couple of games at LB after lockdown. It does seem a waste in our squad to have 2 experienced (and well paid) right backs when Deji can cover there and Bowyer didn't trust him at CB

• Options
    Usually the 20 goal a season striker is the most important person in the team, but in league 1 maybe it is the dominating centre half. 

The amount of aerial battles he wins is incredible. Completely different team when he plays.
    It transforms us in both boxes.
  • Options
    Famewo showed nothing in his brief comeback that he should replace Pearce automatically imo
    It was a big ask after his injury and there is no doubt in my mind that he is much the better player. I also think Pearce has benefited from the clear it long policy.
    It was noticeable that Sunderland were overloading our right back area, which is no surprise given the goals we have conceded from there. Testament to Inniss for helping to change that.
  • Options

Top quality centre backs are extremely important.

Their form without him has probably shown that Van Dijk is the most important player in the Liverpool side. Despite their abundance of top class players it was the arrival of Ruben Dias that has transformed Man City. 
  • Options
    We picked up Morrison, Taylor and Cort in CP’s first full season; I have no doubt that we can do that kind of business again .  I would say that we’ve had several seasons now of Jason either being injured or awful for long spells, but then rediscovering his form at the end of the season; last season he was excellent after the lockdown, for example.  I think it’s time to move on from him, with a huge thanks for superb service in trying times.  
  • Options
    Barker looks a real prospect but his next step is a loan. A loan to a club like Wimbledon would be good for him I think.
    I would rather give him games in The Quarter Members Cup, then if he does well, some proper matches.

If he proves not yet up to it then loan out. I'd take this policy for all young players; it gives them motivation and shows a fair system.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Barker looks a real prospect but his next step is a loan. A loan to a club like Wimbledon would be good for him I think.
    I would rather give him games in The Quarter Members Cup, then if he does well, some proper matches.

If he proves not yet up to it then loan out. I'd take this policy for all young players; it gives them motivation and shows a fair system.
    Hopefully we won't be in the quarter members Cup next season, unless we enter our u23s :smile:
  • Options
    Just finished a Scott Turow novel .. one of the villains was named Innis  :open_mouth:
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I feel like misspelling Inniss's name is the new Ventokele

• Options
    It would be good to see Pearce get given Euell's old job. He can impart a lot of knowledge and is somebody they can look up to. Keep him as a player coach . He can still do a job in an emergency as he is showing now.
    Great shout adds continuity, wonder if it will happen in the summer?

Have we announced a replacement for JE yet?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Pearce is playing well but sadly we needed him in this mode earlier in the season but he was a calamity. Am glad he's come good, but he's also shown how bad he can be in L1 if not up for it.
    He played a lot of games next to a non CB .
    True although we were told Pratley was excellent at CB and worthy of keeping Osh out. Pearcey made some bad individual mistakes including missing a header from a goal kick and the silly fouls out wide leading to a fk and goal. He seems to be more focused with a goal in mind at present.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I hope so, it seems so long since we had this kind of thing happening. Just when you thought the days of Damien Matthews, Callum Harriotts, Ventokele and Alfie Dofty (somebody who sits near me called him that). We need misspelt and wrongly pronounced player names - its the least the players deserve. 

Although Stockley was called Stockdale and Amos was called Amus on Valley Pass recently. 

My all time favourite has to be John Marquis = John Markwee. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    mendonca said:
    Pearce is playing well but sadly we needed him in this mode earlier in the season but he was a calamity. Am glad he's come good, but he's also shown how bad he can be in L1 if not up for it.
    He played a lot of games next to a non CB .
    True although we were told Pratley was excellent at CB and worthy of keeping Osh out. Pearcey made some bad individual mistakes including missing a header from a goal kick and the silly fouls out wide leading to a fk and goal. He seems to be more focused with a goal in mind at present.
    Pratley goes for everything which is not what you want in a centre half. Sometimes you have to know when to just let the opponent have it. He can play there in an emergency but you don't want to push your luck and play him there too many times.
  • Options
    Imagine Pratters and Pearce imparting their knowledge on how to stop as well as how to create. Something that could be very useful to any player. It was interesting to hear Bauer mentioning his call to Pearce to leave the ball for his Wembley goal but also how Pearce ensured the Sunderland player in front of him would leave the ball too! Then we see Johnson moaning about Pearce blocking for our first. Brilliant Pearcey!
    Between them, loads and pretty much none in that order.
  • Options
    I hope so, it seems so long since we had this kind of thing happening. Just when you thought the days of Damien Matthews, Callum Harriotts, Ventokele and Alfie Dofty (somebody who sits near me called him that). We need misspelt and wrongly pronounced player names - its the least the players deserve. 

Although Stockley was called Stockdale and Amos was called Amus on Valley Pass recently. 

My all time favourite has to be John Marquis = John Markwee. 
    That's not too bad considering that 'qu' in English is pronounced 'kw', and the 's' in French is unpronounced. It's therefore a mix of the two possible pronunciations.
  • Options
    His communication is excellent. Was really impressed seeing him organise Pearce yesterday. 

I hope we do not make his threat from set pieces too obvious. Get it into the danger zone for him to attack rather than be the headed version of Pirlo at the back post.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Winniss
    He's now Ryan Drawiss  ;)
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    His communication is excellent. Was really impressed seeing him organise Pearce yesterday. 

I hope we do not make his threat from set pieces too obvious. Get it into the danger zone for him to attack rather than be the headed version of Pirlo at the back post.
    It makes such a huge difference. We conceded so many silly goals this season because Pearce and Oshilaja couldn't figure anything out between them. That Peterborough goal still makes me shiver
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    He’s a monster. Would be easy POTY if he had played two dozen more matches. 

Saturday was the first time Inniss has played and we’ve failed to win. That was only because it was the first time we’ve failed to score ourselves - we still kept a clean sheet.

1-0 v Wigan
    1-0 v Blackpool
    2-0 v Northampton
    2-0 v Oxford
    3-2 v Fleetwood (Ched Evans x2 - now in the Championship)
    1-0 v Doncaster
    2-1 v Sunderland (Josh Scowen)
    0-0 v Ipswich

Three goals conceded in 794 minutes (764 if you dock the 30 mins he missed vs Oxford) of football.
  • Options
    Innis = Shit. Get rid.
  • Options
    Too many red cards
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Off_it said:
    Innis = Shit. Get rid.
    Only 8 more threads to find on players in the team today mate possibly 12 if you include the subs 😉. Feel for you and the other fans though having done your dough travelling to watch that dross this afternoon.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    RedChaser said:
    Off_it said:
    Innis = Shit. Get rid.
    Only 8 more threads to find on players in the team today mate possibly 12 if you include the subs 😉. Feel for you and the other fans though having done your dough travelling to watch that dross this afternoon.
    Don't worry about me mate. Got dragged to the game from the pub and at least our shit performance in the first half meant I could leave at half time with a clear conscience. 

Was actually hoping they would get a third on 20+ minutes so I could fuck off then.
  • Options
    Innis is an average L1 centre back who will have good performances followed by some lapses of concentration and poor performances. As we're a mid table club he's actually fine for us. But we need better if we want to move forward 
  • Options
    Ultimately I think that we can all agree that Inniss is a flumbardyng.
  • Options
    If we resign him for next season, we know we’ll be in trouble again, I think we only keep resigning him because it’s a cheap option.

Would rather use the money from  his contract to tie down a contract with someone in the academy who shows promise.